C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Will they replace this stuff under warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Will they replace this stuff under warranty?

Hi,

I just bought an 08 C300 from a used car dealership and I have a couple things that I would like to be fixed and am wondering if they could be replaced under warranty. I car is still in the valid time period, but is the warranty automatically transferrable?

Here are some of my problems and could you tell me if the service advisor would fix them or not?

-First and mainly, at low driveway/parking lot speeds, when I turn the wheels I feel a vibration, roughness or very slight resistance in the steering wheel. It is really the first AWD car I have driven and am wondering if it is normal for AWD. My dads S550's steering is buttery smooth every speed, mine is a bit rough, but fine when moving fast.

-It seems that my exterior temperature gauge runs a bit high, it always seems like its 4 or 5 degrees past what it should be based on how it feels out side to me and other car's thermometers. Anyone else have this problem? The problem here is proving it...

-My gas sport pedal is missing some of its little black dots (I think they are just worn down), I could see them saying this is due to wear, but at the same time maybe replacing it if it seems like they fell out?

-I am missing the metal clip that holds down the back of the air filter box, it just isn't there, any possibility of it being replaced with the idea that it fell off while driving?

-I'm guessing this is a no, but before I ask the SA and sound stupid and **** him off, my middle lower mesh grill in broken in the middle, most likely from a rock skipping up and banging through, would they replace this? Their part did fail to hold up against a rock

-Lastly and again most likely a no, while removing the grill I broke off one of the clips from the fan shroud that holds it on, could it be replaced?
Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport, ex 2007 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by doworklax09
Hi,

I just bought an 08 C300 from a used car dealership and I have a couple things that I would like to be fixed and am wondering if they could be replaced under warranty. I car is still in the valid time period, but is the warranty automatically transferrable?
Yes, if you buy a car that is still under factory warranty, the balance of it transfers to the next owner (you). What I will tell you is, with some items it's a ymmv situation, so it doesn't hurt to ask nicely. Occasionally, one dealership may not be willing to do something but another one will; even within a dealership, one SA may be willing to go out of his way to help you out while another sticks to the line.

-First and mainly, at low driveway/parking lot speeds, when I turn the wheels I feel a vibration, roughness or very slight resistance in the steering wheel. It is really the first AWD car I have driven and am wondering if it is normal for AWD. My dads S550's steering is buttery smooth every speed, mine is a bit rough, but fine when moving fast.
Can't tell you cuz I've never owned an MB 4MATIC.

-It seems that my exterior temperature gauge runs a bit high, it always seems like its 4 or 5 degrees past what it should be based on how it feels out side to me and other car's thermometers. Anyone else have this problem? The problem here is proving it...
I've noticed that my car's gauge exaggerates the outside temperature a little but, but I've come to terms with it. Personally, when it's hot outside or cold, I usually already know before I step into my vehicle

-My gas sport pedal is missing some of its little black dots (I think they are just worn down), I could see them saying this is due to wear, but at the same time maybe replacing it if it seems like they fell out?
As I was once told, if a piece of trim is peeling, then they will cover / replace it under factory warranty. I think they may be willing to work with you on this unless the cost to replace it is rather high.

-I am missing the metal clip that holds down the back of the air filter box, it just isn't there, any possibility of it being replaced with the idea that it fell off while driving?
I think they'll probably do that for you.

-I'm guessing this is a no, but before I ask the SA and sound stupid and **** him off, my middle lower mesh grill in broken in the middle, most likely from a rock skipping up and banging through, would they replace this? Their part did fail to hold up against a rock
When I had a small crack that caused moisture to seep into one of my side-view mirror's turn signals, the SA noticed it (I hadn't), he said as long as it is not caused by someone trying to pry it off, they would replace it at no cost, and they did. It might work the same way with your mesh? Also, folks with damaged fog lights have had varying experiences when trying to get the dealer to replace it for free. Again, ymmv.

-Lastly and again most likely a no, while removing the grill I broke off one of the clips from the fan shroud that holds it on, could it be replaced?
I highly doubt you'll have luck with this last one - if something broke as a result of you trying to remove the grille, it's not really the manufacturer's fault. It seems like a part that wouldn't break from normal usage / wear-tear.

Obviously, the above are just my opinions based on the experiences I've had with my MB dealer (which for the most part have been positive- on a couple occasions, they have gone above and beyond to accommodate my requests).

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 PM

2008 W204
Originally Posted by ucfbeta92
Yes, if you buy a car that is still under factory warranty, the balance of it transfers to the next owner (you). What I will tell you is, with some items it's a ymmv situation, so it doesn't hurt to ask nicely. Occasionally, one dealership may not be willing to do something but another one will; even within a dealership, one SA may be willing to go out of his way to help you out while another sticks to the line.

Can't tell you cuz I've never owned an MB 4MATIC.

I've noticed that my car's gauge exaggerates the outside temperature a little but, but I've come to terms with it. Personally, when it's hot outside or cold, I usually already know before I step into my vehicle

As I was once told, if a piece of trim is peeling, then they will cover / replace it under factory warranty. I think they may be willing to work with you on this unless the cost to replace it is rather high.

I think they'll probably do that for you.

When I had a small crack that caused moisture to seep into one of my side-view mirror's turn signals, the SA noticed it (I hadn't), he said as long as it is not caused by someone trying to pry it off, they would replace it at no cost, and they did. It might work the same way with your mesh? Also, folks with damaged fog lights have had varying experiences when trying to get the dealer to replace it for free. Again, ymmv.

I highly doubt you'll have luck with this last one - if something broke as a result of you trying to remove the grille, it's not really the manufacturer's fault. It seems like a part that wouldn't break from normal usage / wear-tear.

Obviously, the above are just my opinions based on the experiences I've had with my MB dealer (which for the most part have been positive- on a couple occasions, they have gone above and beyond to accommodate my requests).

Good luck!
Thanks for all your input! Do you notice any vibration in the steering wheel when turning at low to no speeds? Or added vibration from the engine as the power steering pump is working harder?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Thanks for all your input! Do you notice any vibration in the steering wheel when turning at low to no speeds? Or added vibration from the engine as the power steering pump is working harder?
Not really in this car. I've felt it in previous cars that I've owned (non-MB), but that doesn't help you in any way. There was another thread that I recall seeing here about a vibration / roughness / noise during a slow turn. You might want to search for that.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM

2008 W204
Could installing the $139 ebay side mirror covers void my warranty?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
Could installing the $139 ebay side mirror covers void my warranty?
no.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
You should be able to get a lot of it replaced. I also noticed that I don't have the air filter clip on my car. But my sister's 2011 does. I wonder if maybe the 2009 didn't get it?

As far as the power steering goes, mine was like yours, I complained about it and it turns out my fluid was a bit low. They topped it up and all whining and stiffness went away. These cars are very sensitive to the fluid levels.

The only things I would imagine them giving you a hard time on are the grill fan clip and the lower mesh. But I know that the lower mesh there is a DIY in the stickied thread for how to replace it cheaply.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
I don't think it likely that the lower grill will be replaced under warrenty. Many have tried and none have succeded
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM

2008 W204
Originally Posted by jctevere
You should be able to get a lot of it replaced. I also noticed that I don't have the air filter clip on my car. But my sister's 2011 does. I wonder if maybe the 2009 didn't get it?
Yeah, this is weird, I have looked at a lot of engine bay pictures online, and it seems that the 2008-09s do not have the clip while the 2010-11s do. Did you buy your 09 brand new (If so you would know that is how it should be)?

Can any other 08-09 owners confirm this? The funny thing about it is Merc put the two plastic studs there for the clip, just not the clip.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:41 PM

2008 W204
I'm taking my car in tomorrow for the warranty repairs-heres my problem.

Literally just today my "A3 Service Due" came up, basically an oil change and I 100% want to do it my self and not actually give money to the dealer (just warranty repairs), so now when I go in tomorrow they will ask me and I will have to say "no, I am doing it my self." They probably won't like me for using them only for warranty repairs and not serve me as well.

Also, is my warranty voided if the car is serviced by its owner?

I am thinking of reseting the service light without changing the oil, and changing the oil right when I get the car back, or moving my appointment forward. Reseting the light without changing the oil bothers me, do you think its a problem?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01' c320 (sold) / 03' Ford Focus(sold) :( / 98' C230 / 00' SL500 / 11' C300 Sport RWD w204
my car has the vibration issues at low speeds. SA at beshoff san jose told me it was normal but i'd definitely ask the SA about it just to be safe. Let me know what they tell you cus I definitely dont think its normal.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
If it was me I would let them do the A service. Do you have an oil extractor? I've been driving and working on cars for 35 years and my MB's are the only ones I allow the dealer to work on.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM

2008 W204
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
If it was me I would let them do the A service. Do you have an oil extractor? I've been driving and working on cars for 35 years and my MB's are the only ones I allow the dealer to work on.
Yeah, maybe. I don't know, I feel I can do it. I don't have a extractor, but would use the drain plug. My father changes his on his 550 motor and has no problems, he says its very easy.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:42 PM

2008 W204
Does anyone know if all Mercedes dealerships give out Mercedes as loaner cars?

I am going to Rallye motors and am just wondering if they supply you with Mercs as loaners, and what model?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM

01' c320 (sold) / 03' Ford Focus(sold) :( / 98' C230 / 00' SL500 / 11' C300 Sport RWD w204
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
Does anyone know if all Mercedes dealerships give out Mercedes as loaner cars?

I am going to Rallye motors and am just wondering if they supply you with Mercs as loaners, and what model?
C300s as loaners at beshoff. Literally a fleet of them
Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 PM

2008 W204
Originally Posted by bringtherain
C300s as loaners at beshoff. Literally a fleet of them
I hope Rallye has them, I am worried they may not let me have a loaner cause I'm 17 and haven't bought the car from them, or ever serviced there.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM

mercedes benz c300
i thought i was theonly one who ever noticed it, or my car was the only one, but my thermomater is always hotter than the true temperature also.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 PM

I hope Rallye has them, I am worried they may not let me have a loaner cause I'm 17 and haven't bought the car from them, or ever serviced there.
I think it varies from dealership to dealership. If you're under factory warranty and you are asked to leave your vehicle behind, you will get either a MB loaner or a free rental.

The ones I go to will give you an MB loaner if you bought your car from them and are under an MB warranty. If you didn't buy from them but are under warranty, they give you a free rental. They have a Hertz on premises, but if it's closed at the time of your appointment (late afternoon or weekends), then the dealership will give you one of their loaners. Most of their loaners are C and GLK Class, but I think they have an M and an E as well. As you would expect, they'll give you a loaner in the same class as your car, but on occasion, you might be given a choice.

If you're out of warranty but you get a certain dollar amount of service work done, they'll set you up with a replacement vehicle as well, but I think that's a rental.

If what you're taking your car in for takes an hour or two, they're more likely to encourage you to wait it out.

Last edited by ucfbeta92; 08-31-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:31 PM

2008 W204
Took my car in today and got a 2011 C300 Sport as a loaner with 600 miles on it!! Woohooooooo!!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 PM

2008 W204
Some stuff I find interesting about the 2011 model-

Overall, compared to my 08 C300 everything feels a bit tighter, but nothing I would really miss when getting back into my 08, as they are all bound to be worn in eventually.

The steering wheel seems to have Mercedes premium leather on it, it is extremely smooth compared to my 08 wheel, maybe mine is just less smooth because it is worn, but the grain is still not nearly as fine as 2011's.

It's made in South Africa, and I am not blaming this directly on South Africa building, but the car has 600 miles on it, and the front bumper has a bigger gap on one of the joints between the hood and front bumper than the other, it looks like one of the side hood latches isn't latched, reminds me of one of my dads old S's when it came back from the body shop.

The chime in the dash board is different, a little less obnoxious, but I don't mind mine. The 2011 also has instant mpg which is cool. I don't like how the car automatically goes in E mode every time you start it.

I like and prefer the new key, as well as the new mirrors, I have the 2011 covers, but I really like the squareness of the new ones.

The LED DRLs are a bit of a waste when it come to nighttime use, you can barely tell they are LED's as they are so dim, and when you unlock the car at night you no longer have the bright fog lights lightening your path, but the LEDs in dim mode.

Two things that jump out to me as Benz cutting costs for the 2011s -

the 2011 uses its horn to chime three times when locking it and it also uses the horn for its alarm, like an old American car, as opposed to the 08 which has the beep beep beep when you lock it and the high pitch beep for the alarm. I really don't like the fact that it uses the horn for the lock feedback, again, it sounds like an old Chevy. I guess they figured it was a waste to put in a second chime device when they could just use the horn.

also, on my 08 and all the other Benzes I seen after MY 2004, on the sticker on the door jam with the vin, build date and paint code, there is a "C" before the paint code. I have learned that this indicates a special process that Mercedes uses on there clear coat, it involves a ceramic based clear coat which is a lot stronger than normal. It requires a special process at the factory where the car has to sit in high temperature to cure the ceramic. Well this 2011 did not have that C meaning the clear coat is not ceramic as my 08 or other Benzes built in Germany are. I guess they are not set up for this process in South Africa, which is a shame, other 2011 Benzes have the "C."

At the end of the day, the final product is about the same, and I guess only real car nuts like me would notice the differences in what seems like Mercedes cutting corners. It's fun to enjoy a fresh Mercedes for a couple days, but when it all comes down to it, I have no problem getting back into my German built, straight-bumpered, 2008!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:16 PM

also, on my 08 and all the other Benzes I seen after MY 2004, on the sticker on the door jam with the vin, build date and paint code, there is a "C" before the paint code. I have learned that this indicates a special process that Mercedes uses on there clear coat, it involves a ceramic based clear coat which is a lot stronger than normal. It requires a special process at the factory where the car has to sit in high temperature to cure the ceramic. Well this 2011 did not have that C meaning the clear coat is not ceramic as my 08 or other Benzes built in Germany are. I guess they are not set up for this process in South Africa, which is a shame, other 2011 Benzes have the "C."
Good write-up. My car's assembled in South Africa as well, but I have a C preceding the paint code (C650), so it must be something to do with that particular color / paint type / MY.

Someone else on this forum pointed out the lock chime/horn thing just yesterday. I think they also added an option accessible from the instrument cluster to turn off the audible cue altogether in MY11.

I also noticed the steering wheel difference - every '11 loaner I got had the very basic options (no bells and whistles) but the steering wheel had a smooth leather feel to it, while my fully loaded '09 has a less smooth textured feel to it. It's either from usage (but it looks in very good shape) or that's just how the texture of the steering wheel was for '09 (and from what you're saying, '08 as well).

Last edited by ucfbeta92; 09-06-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 PM

2008 W204
Originally Posted by ucfbeta92
Good write-up. My car's assembled in South Africa as well, but I have a C preceding the paint code (C650), so it must be something to do with that particular color / paint type / MY.

Someone else on this forum pointed out the lock chime/horn thing just yesterday. I think they also added an option accessible from the instrument cluster to turn off the audible cue altogether in MY11.

I also noticed the steering wheel difference - every '11 loaner I got had the very basic options (no bells and whistles) but the steering wheel had a smooth leather feel to it, while my fully loaded '09 has a less smooth textured feel to it. It's either from usage (but it looks in very good shape) or that's just how the texture of the steering wheel was for '09 (and from what you're saying, '08 as well).

Ah, yup it must be either the palladium silver, or just that they stopped the Ceramic for MY2011.

I didn't know they made 09's in SA, and yes, you must have the same steering wheel as my 08, I guess Merc decided to go to a smoother texture in 10 or 11. Does your 09 beep or honk?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
My Palladium German-built car's paint code is C792.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 PM

Ah, yup it must be either the palladium silver, or just that they stopped the Ceramic for MY2011.

I didn't know they made 09's in SA, and yes, you must have the same steering wheel as my 08, I guess Merc decided to go to a smoother texture in 10 or 11. Does your 09 beep or honk?
Beeps.. no honking, thank God
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
The 17 may well be a problem - depending on your state insurance laws and the dealer's insurance company requirements.

You'll need to call ahead and discuss this as you don't want to be stranded at the dealership.

As a general rule, most dealer insurance companies won't allow a rental to someone who is 17.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will they replace this stuff under warranty?