C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Consumer Reports Quality Data

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Consumer Reports Quality Data

For those who have not seen yesterday's news, here is an interesting nugget from the new Consumer's Union report.

Of 28 brands, Mercedes-Benz was 18, BMW 19, and Audi, at 26, was third from the bottom. Within MB, the lowest quality model was the GL, and the highest quality was.......C Class (rear wheel drive model)!

A lot of chatter around here supports the overall quality of the C Class, and it's nice to see something beyond anecdotal data that agrees.

(Other than Volvo at #10, the top 12 spots were all Asian brands, with Jeep as the #1 American brand...once again proving the only thing constant is change.)
Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Sportstick
For those who have not seen yesterday's news, here is an interesting nugget from the new Consumer's Union report.

Of 28 brands, Mercedes-Benz was 18, BMW 19, and Audi, at 26, was third from the bottom. Within MB, the lowest quality model was the GL, and the highest quality was.......C Class (rear wheel drive model)!

A lot of chatter around here supports the overall quality of the C Class, and it's nice to see something beyond anecdotal data that agrees.

(Other than Volvo at #10, the top 12 spots were all Asian brands, with Jeep as the #1 American brand...once again proving the only thing constant is change.)
Links?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Links?
You need to be a subscriber to read the original report. Try this and click to enlarge the graphic on the lower left:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011102...xt|FRONTPAGE|p
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
You need to be a subscriber to read the original report. Try this and click to enlarge the graphic on the lower left:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011102...xt|FRONTPAGE|p
Awesome...let me do something.

There:

Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
That helps.....good skills! Thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport
Not to sound ignorant on this... but what are these "studies" based on?

I've hopped in several brand new Chrysler products, and quite frankly they feel like absolute junk...... cheaply made plastics, cheapo buttons, low on power, and rattly plastic pieces all around.

My roomate's brand new Jeep Wrangler has been in the shop now 3 times with transmission problems, and random vehicle shut off issues.

I really don't see how they've upped their quality.....

GM ... oh god, please don't even get me started on those.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WorstNightmare
Not to sound ignorant on this... but what are these "studies" based on?

I've hopped in several brand new Chrysler products, and quite frankly they feel like absolute junk...... cheaply made plastics, cheapo buttons, low on power, and rattly plastic pieces all around.

My roomate's brand new Jeep Wrangler has been in the shop now 3 times with transmission problems, and random vehicle shut off issues.

I really don't see how they've upped their quality.....

GM ... oh god, please don't even get me started on those.
Your name and your post ironically...match. LOL.

You are right about those damn Jeeps, Chrysler's, and several other lines. Not say I agree or disagree with the data or findings but I wonder about how they determined these results as well. Number of failures out of 100? 1000? What? How?

Now my personal experience, with GM and Chrysler products have been dismal. On my 300M, transmission malfunction at 85K. Interior falling apart around 60-70K, cheap plastics, just CHEAP. I had to replace all of the door seals on the car, they all buckled and deteriorated. After I sold the car at 120K and transmission replacement, shortly after coil packs failure and transmission issues again from what the new owner told me. WTF?

On the flip, my 1998 E320 with 220K miles on it has never had any issues except for a left cat replacement, replace the front aux fans, and just routine upkeep. I drive her M-T every week.

My Buick Regal, let's not even go into that....

However, we can never forget the issues MB's have had and have though. There have been a lot of dog's especially 1999-2004. 100K paperweights.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Mercedes Benz, BMW, Porsche
Volvo is an Asian brand. It's 100% owned by the Chinese.

Volvo is an Asian brand. It's 100% owned by the Chinese. Just like the VW Jetta, made in Puebla Mexico, is German even though it's made in Mexico.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by ddatin
Volvo is an Asian brand. It's 100% owned by the Chinese. Just like the VW Jetta, made in Puebla Mexico, is German even though it's made in Mexico.
An interesting but odd distinction. VW is German as the corporate activities are in Germany, engineering, design, development, the essence of what defines a vehicle. Assembly plants for various companies are located outside their home markets. The situation is not analogous for Volvo, as all of those functions are in Sweden, including assembly, with only the corporate financial ownership having been purchased by a Chinese company. Similarly, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep are not now Italian brands, simply due to a change in legal status of the ownership.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:56 PM

2012 C63 AMG, 2012 C300 4matic, 2008 E92 M3
That is funny. I used to own a Volvo XC90 that needs a new tranny after 50K miles. Known problem for 2004 to 2005 MY. The funny thing is that the trans was made by GM. For 2006 thereafter, they changed their trans dealer.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 AM

2008 C350
So looking at that chart, the C-Class is about 20% more reliable than industry average.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The W204 C Class is well screwed together. If W204 diesel models were included they would do even better.

I'm really surprised at Porsche. I wonder if all faults carry equal weight. Complexity on German designs usually give a few niggles whereas the Asians frequently have more simple execution of the same features. I still find NA built cars interior plastic work etc. dismal. NA built cars have generally been mechanically solid if a little crude in certain areas such as NVH on some configurations.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-27-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by encoder
So looking at that chart, the C-Class is about 20% more reliable than industry average.
....and, if MB's best is C Class and Audi's best is A4, we can see the differential between those two cars which some Audi trolls occasionally bring up here, not knowing the data.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
The W204 C Class is well screwed together.

I'm really surprised at Porsche. I wonder if all faults carry equal weight. Complexity on German designs usually give a few niggles whereas the Asians frequently have more simple execution of the same features. I still find NA built cars interior plastic work etc. dismal. NA built cars have generally been mechanically solid if a little crude in certain areas such as NVH on some configurations.
Porsche seems to be struggling with Cayenne which represents some significant volume for them here. This survey does not assess how much someone likes the proverbial piece of plastic, but only if that piece of plastic fell off. Having said that, if you haven't sat in a 2012 version of several Chrysler models, including the 300, new Grand Cherokee, and Dodge Durango, you will be surprised at the difference a new, more enlightened management can make.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yes - the 300 & the Grand Cherokee sell in SA & I agree with you.

See my edit above on diesels.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

This survey does not assess how much someone likes the proverbial piece of plastic, but only if that piece of plastic fell off. .
Indeed. More a reliability survey than quality.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Indeed. More a reliability survey than quality.
Excatly, so people have to keep that in perspective when looking at the list.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Excatly, so people have to keep that in perspective when looking at the list.
Yes, for consumer data on satisfaction with design and performance, go to J.D.Power's website.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Mercedes Benz, BMW, Porsche
Shanghai Volvo technical center responsible for design, research and development

Unfortunately for the western world, the Volvo intellectual property and high paying jobs are already in transition to China.

http://www.chinaautoreview.com/pub/CARArticle.aspx?ID=5424

"According to the announced strategy, the Shanghai headquarters will serve as Geely-Volvo’s administration center in China and the Shanghai technical center will be responsible for the design and research and development of high-end sedans, electric vehicles and new energy vehicles."

Three state of the art Volvo manufacturing plants are almost completed in China. The legacy plants in the western world will just manufacture what the technical center in Shanghai develops.

I don't think anyone really believed that China would not move the intelectual property, R&D and design functions to a lower cost source.

Each time a Volvo is purchased, China grows richer.

An interesting but odd distinction. VW is German as the corporate activities are in Germany, engineering, design, development, the essence of what defines a vehicle. Assembly plants for various companies are located outside their home markets. The situation is not analogous for Volvo, as all of those functions are in Sweden, including assembly, with only the corporate financial ownership having been purchased by a Chinese company. Similarly, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep are not now Italian brands, simply due to a change in legal status of the ownership.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by ddatin
"According to the announced strategy, the Shanghai headquarters will serve as Geely-Volvo’s administration center in China and the Shanghai technical center will be responsible for the design and research and development of high-end sedans, electric vehicles and new energy vehicles."[/I]

If this comes to pass, my view of current view of Volvo will no longer be correct. However, there are also press reports that Geely management has said, "Let Volvo be Volvo" and vowed not to interfere in their ongoing work. We will need to see what happens.