C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Picked up the c350 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C350 Sport - Iridium Silver w/Ash
Picked up the c350 today

Finally got it after all these months. It did not disappoint. Iridium Silver with Ash Gray interior sport version. It came with the 7-spoke AMGs and I had ordered the 5-spoke. Merc had changed the code I guess in the last month. But they had a set on the lot and changed them. Right decision. The fives look great.

It rained on the way back so I had to hose if off in the driveway in the misty rain and chamois it down good in the garage. Looks great!

I'll try to get some pictures by the end of the weekend.

Just a few first impressions...

All the electronics are pretty impressive. Nothing there just for the sake of being clever or just because they could. Yes, clever features but useful ones, like the cruise control adjustable by 1 mph or 5 mph. Nothing gratuitous. Clean, straight-ahead German design.

The more I drove it (200 miles back) the more I liked it. Love all the adjustments to get the comfort just right.

Couple of items some people mentioned... they thought the transmission was rougher shifting and about differences of the new engine.

The new tranny is a little sharper on the shifts. Not quite as smooth as the '11 but when it changes it's quick and grippier. It's like there's a super-quick torque lock-up. It didn't bother me. The sport mode is nice. It maintains the gear longer so when you quickly lift it doesn't immediately shift up to lower rpms. The engine torque drag is there.

The engine is a growlier. The low thrum is still there but there's kind of more of an edge to it. Most of the time it stays in the 2k rpm range with plenty of power. But if you put it in sport or manual shift, and push down the gas pedal a little bit it goes like mad, and the growl blooms. Didn't want to push it much but when the revs hit 3k, it burns.

I can see how they keep it down in the low revs, tame and everything for better mileage but it will GO with pushed slightly. The torque curve is a little higher on this new engine I think, it's more wind-out-able. When the torque curve comes on, the car effortlessly leaves gravity behind. Did I mention I love the rear-wheel drive. Can't imagine what the AMG feels like.

Couple of quick questions, is there a way to just turn the radio plain off? I know you can mute (little mute symbol appears on display) or you can put it on one of the consumption screens. I don't know, I'd just like an off button to press. Secondly is it possible to adjust the brightness in the center where mph is displayed? There's that little stem under the temp gauge that adjusts the brightness on the outside of the gauges but there didn't seem to be a way to do the middle LCD. Also I noticed that stem pulls out a little bit but in or out it still adjust the outer brightness. Is there any diff in or out?

What is the normal temperature. Mine is around 100 I think maybe a little less. Up about 2/3s. Normally my Passat and various other cars hit about dead center.

Ok one more, do y'all put mud flaps on yours and/or anything to protect the hood against chips, like a little plastic deflector or something? Want to protect this beautiful finish!

Last edited by wireless200; 10-28-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by wireless200
Couple of quick questions, is there a way to just turn the radio plain off?
Push the large round volume knob in the center of the dash.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Nice review and congrats on the car! I had a C350 and it was good but not great, the new engine sounds like a big improvement. More power on tap and a responsive auto. Can you post some pics?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
congrats on the car.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:56 PM

2012 C350 Sport - Iridium Silver w/Ash
Originally Posted by dfordham
Push the large round volume knob in the center of the dash.
Unfortunately I believe that turns off everything, e.g., phone functionality. But it is nice because you can make everything instantly off.

Cary is still looking and driving great. Even smoother today, the transmission and all. No jerkiness or discontinuity at all when shifting. Looks great and my wife and I saw folks eyeing it. It's funny because the car is constantly letting you know how good it is.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 PM

'10 G37S 6MT and '12 C250 7AT
What a great color combo! I got the same on my c250!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC250 Coupe
Unfortunately I believe that turns off everything, e.g., phone functionality. But it is nice because you can make everything instantly off.

Cary is still looking and driving great. Even smoother today, the transmission and all. No jerkiness or discontinuity at all when shifting. Looks great and my wife and I saw folks eyeing it. It's funny because the car is constantly letting you know how good it is.
Use the mute button on the steering wheel.
It's like your pause button when playing CDs or MP3s.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:12 PM

2012 C350 4MATIC
Hi wireless200,

First of all, congrats to your recent purchase. I'm glad that you're enjoying your car more and more everyday.

Couple of quick questions, is there a way to just turn the radio plain off? I know you can mute (little mute symbol appears on display) or you can put it on one of the consumption screens. I don't know, I'd just like an off button to press.

What is the normal temperature. Mine is around 100 I think maybe a little less. Up about 2/3s.

Ok one more, do y'all put mud flaps on yours and/or anything to protect the hood against chips, like a little plastic deflector or something? Want to protect this beautiful finish!
I also cannot find a way to turn the radio 'off'. So I simply mute it if I don't want to listen to anything. I seldom turn off COMMAND though as it will take a few seconds to come back on.

My temp. gauge always indicates 90.

I ask my dealership if they install mudflaps and they say 'no' since packed snow may be trapped between the tire and the mudflap. 3M is a good choice to protect the front edge of your hood from stonechips.