C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Renntech C250!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
Originally Posted by Trek1200
Why not? With a lease you can do whatever you want to the car, as long as you either a) Buy it at the end of the lease b) Sell the car or trade it in before the end of the lease or c) take the stuff off before you turn it in. I traded in a leased 2011 BMW 128i with mods on it on the 2012 C and had no issues, my payoff was less than the trade-in value of the car, so it worked out great.
Thats the way to do it if you don't want to buy the car. My cousins leased a 2011 E350 4M and they got it tuned by Renntech for free basically. They proved to the dealer that It would boost the car value even after they gave it back to the dealer.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 300TE, 1981 380SL, 1990 325I, 2002 Overland, 1976 BMW 2002,
Originally Posted by jchochla
Thats the way to do it if you don't want to buy the car. My cousins leased a 2011 E350 4M and they got it tuned by Renntech for free basically. They proved to the dealer that It would boost the car value even after they gave it back to the dealer.
Yup. You can't go hog wild though. When I worked for BMW we had a guy swap turbos and intercoolers on his 335 and expect us to do warranty work on the car. The service writer looked at him and said... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 PM

Yup. You can't go hog wild though. When I worked for BMW we had a guy swap turbos and intercoolers on his 335 and expect us to do warranty work on the car. The service writer looked at him and said... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Since Renntech is warrentied by Mercedes, they don't have that problem.
That guy really destroyed the sh*t out of that 335. lol
Do you have a exhaust on your C?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
what kind of warranty work? he can reasonably expect warranty service under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

if a service writer laughed to my face, I'd call up his manager, the GM of the dealership, etc. that's no way to treat a customer. even if it's just a 3-series.

Since Renntech is warrentied by Mercedes, they don't have that problem.
That guy really destroyed the sh*t out of that 335. lol
Do you have a exhaust on your C?
Renntech is NOT warrantied by Mercedes. where did you get that from? Mercedes would be dumb to warranty any third party company's work on their cars. if you think it's like Dinan and BMW, Dinan is not warrantied by BMW either.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by nlpamg
what kind of warranty work? he can reasonably expect warranty service under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

if a service writer laughed to my face, I'd call up his manager, the GM of the dealership, etc. that's no way to treat a customer. even if it's just a 3-series.

Renntech is NOT warrantied by Mercedes. where did you get that from? Mercedes would be dumb to warranty any third party company's work on their cars. if you think it's like Dinan and BMW, Dinan is not warrantied by BMW either.
Well my dealer is a Renntech dealer and they've done service work on my cousins E Class. I think it was something that the navigation system did work but the replaced it or fixed it. My local dealer took there car in for a few days and sent out the ECU to renntech. They got the ECU back retuned and a exhaust put on it.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Well my dealer is a Renntech dealer and they've done service work on my cousins E Class. I think it was something that the navigation system did work but the replaced it or fixed it. My local dealer took there car in for a few days and sent out the ECU to renntech. They got the ECU back retuned and a exhaust put on it.
Renntech and Mercedes do not have a relationship. Perhaps your individual dealer has a Renntech account, but any work by Renntech is certainly not warrantied by Mercedes-Benz.

This is the Renntech warranty: http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/...s_warranty.pdf

It's independent from Mercedes-Benz.

Your dealer was working as a Renntech installer, like a third party shop. The navigation system has nothing to do with any Renntech work, so of course they'll fix it.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM

The guy wanted us to clean out the aftermarket wastegates and clean the carbon off the cylinders. And he was a douche about it. Swearing at the service writer after the the SW told him that the tech had to take off the head to see what the issue was, not a very good idea. The guy was upset that we took his engine apart after he told us to "just fix the car."
Old 12-29-2011, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
As he should have. Renntech provides a limeted warranty, as linked above. Before someone claims "Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act" they should read it. For instance:

"Although the Act covers warranties on repair or replacement parts in consumer products, warranties on services for repairs are not covered"

The act simply allows owners to do their own maintenance, using equal quality or mandated-design (fleese filters) products.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:25 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by kevink2
As he should have. Renntech provides a limeted warranty, as linked above. Before someone claims "Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act" they should read it. For instance:

"Although the Act covers warranties on repair or replacement parts in consumer products, warranties on services for repairs are not covered"

The act simply allows owners to do their own maintenance, using equal quality or mandated-design (fleese filters) products.

Correct. Here is my usual explanation of the MM act. It is a cut-n-paste from a BMW forum but the basics apply to any car.

Let me try to explain mods and warranties in logical layman's term. I'm sure that some will come up with all sorts of nebulous arguments but they are not real world.

1. The oft misquoted MM act has nothing to do with performance parts. It was enacted to keep manufacturers from requiring the use of a specific brand of replacement part in order to keep the warranty intact.

Accordingly, the use of a "substantially similar" replacement is OK and the manufacturer must show that the "substantially similar" part caused the failure if they refuse warranty service for that failure.

In practical terms, this means that you can substitute a Osram H7 bulb for the Bosch H7 that the car originally came with.

2. Let's look at performance parts for a moment. By definition, performance parts are not "substantially similar" as they are intended to alter the performance characteristics of a system. Based upon this, performance parts fall outside the scope of the MM act.

In order to refuse warranty service for a failure, the manufacturer (legally) merely needs to show that a part that is not "substantially similar" was used and that this part could have caused the failure. At this point, the burden of proof shifts to the consumer to prove that the part did not cause the failure.

Going back to out lightbulb example, if you have an electrical failure and you've replaced your 55w bulbs with 85w "hyperwhites" or LED's then the dealer is under an obligation to the manufacturer to refuse warranty service on the failure if they believe that the performance bulbs caused the failure.

Simple - right?

Now, let's talk warranty a moment.

3. The term "void the warranty" is often bandied about by both consumers and dealers alike.

Very few things will actually "void the warranty." This was alluded to by other posters but not fully explained. If a car is so badly abused, or modded to the point where virtually every system failure can be traced back to a mod, then the manufacturer can "void the warranty." A flood damaged car or one that was in a severe accident might also be a candidate for the manufacturer to void the warranty on the entire car.

Mitsubishi voided the warranty on a bunch of cars that they saw were used at racetracks.

What is commonly referred to as "voiding the warranty" actually refers to a dealer refusing warranty service on a particular service.

Quite simply, if a dealer believes that a modification, chip, performance part, abuse or whatnot caused (or substantially contributed) to a failure, then he has an obligation to the manufacturer to refuse warranty service on that failure.

Accordingly, using our lighting example again, the dealer could refuse warranty service on any electrical failure. This could actually extend to ECUs or the entire electrical system.

Farfetched? Not really. A few years back a guy on VWVortex decided to paint his sidemarker bulbs silver on his brand new Jetta.

The bulb heated up, melted the paint and dripped into the housing. The housing melted and shorted out parts of the wiring loom. Since the Jetta uses a CAN-BUS, the whole thing needed replacement. $2500 later the car was on the road again.

4. Why doesn't the dealer give the customer the benefit of the doubt? The manufacturer often asks for parts back to determine the cause of the failure. They are extremely vigilant for failures that often are seen on modded cars.

Fell free to argue until you're blue in the face - but - like it or not, the above is the way it is.

You can always find a lawyer who will argue a different viewpoint, but that doesn't mean it is right.

So, what is the bottom line?

ANY mod may cause warranty woes. Consider ALL the implications of any mod you are contemplating and be mentally and monetarily prepared to pay for the consequences.

Read your owner's manual carefully. It specifically warns against engine (ECU) and suspension mods as examples of mods that will cause problems.

Feel free to mod away, but remember that you might have to pay to play. The other posters who say "just do it" aren't the ones that will have to foot the bill.

As a clarification - there is some heated discussion about the manufacturer's burden of proof regarding the use of "performance parts" but the bottom line remains the same.

In addition, if the manufacturer allows a case to go to court then there is a good bet that he has sufficient evidence to back up their claim.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

The guy wanted us to clean out the aftermarket wastegates and clean the carbon off the cylinders. And he was a douche about it. Swearing at the service writer after the the SW told him that the tech had to take off the head to see what the issue was, not a very good idea. The guy was upset that we took his engine apart after he told us to "just fix the car."
oooh, that's totally different then, lol.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kevink2

I think I was unclear. If the guy wanted an oil change or his brakes changed, that is part of the BMW maintenance plan, then they should give him service. However, if it's anything extra that would have to be covered under warranty, like what he asked for, then of course no service.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Ok back on topic... Any update to the tune? HP + TQ #'s?

Side note: I wish renntech or some company could make a rear diffuser to to match/fit the CLK550 rear muffler. I don't care for the quad look since this is not a c63, but the single oval muffler we have looks terrible. The dual oval muffler tips on the older CLK550/CLK55 would look really nice on the back of the c250.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 PM

I think I was unclear. If the guy wanted an oil change or his brakes changed, that is part of the BMW maintenance plan, then they should give him service. However, if it's anything extra that would have to be covered under warranty, like what he asked for, then of course no service.
Yeah thats what we told him, but he was insistant that we the dealership, not the shop that did the mods, provide the service on the altered parts. Obviously the non-affected items like brakes and oil changes were still honored.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by DameMD
Ok back on topic... Any update to the tune? HP + TQ #'s?

Side note: I wish renntech or some company could make a rear diffuser to to match/fit the CLK550 rear muffler. I don't care for the quad look since this is not a c63, but the single oval muffler we have looks terrible. The dual oval muffler tips on the older CLK550/CLK55 would look really nice on the back of the c250.

Still no word yet. They are on holiday until next week so hopefully they'll have some news then, but who knows. Its taking a bit longer than I expected, but oh well, I'll have the first one so I'll try to be as patient as possible.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:42 AM

335xi
I'm curious as to how the #s will look. In for later
Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Nice!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM

No news yet dudes and dudets, sorry for the delay, as soon as I have some info I'll let ya'll know.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:09 AM

1990 500SL-2002 C230 Coupe-2012 c250 Sedan SOLD-2012 C63 Coupe

Old 01-20-2012, 01:51 PM

C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by jctevere
Quick question... Why buy a C250 and then send it to RennTech for modification? The amount of money it would cost to get "suboptimal" gains would put you well into the territory of a C350, heck, probably close to the C63 as well... So - WHY?

However, I am intrigued by this, would be cool to know how much power RennTech can make out of the little bugger. I'm sure that if they make headway, others can learn from it and you will see other companies offer packages and upgrades!

As far as AZNOptics go, it was pretty much a startup from a fellow Forum member here on the boards (AZNC300). So he has always taken care of fellow forum members and W204 owners. The warranty has been awesome, and the products have been second to NONE IMO. The research and time Mike put into developing these products has really paid off. You KNOW its going to work when you get it. The LEDs have resistors pre-installed so you don't get flickering or light-out messages, and the HID kits have error cancelers BUILT-IN. So it really gives you peace of mind!
I agree. what you get in the C350 makes sense. I am planning on a C350 soon, plus Kleemann has a ECU upgrade for $1,095 + shipping. they get about 20 to 25 more HP, about the same level of more torque, remove the limiter and improved throttle response. for me, right now, I can't justify the extra amount on the C63, plus I would probably get too many tickets. there is a limit on what I can handle in terms of excellerating without applying brakes before I rear end people.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 PM

Update Time. I don't have the car yet, which blows goats. However, just got off the phone with the engineers, they say power should be up by 35-40 hp and 50lbs/ft of torque. Super stoaked.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Update Time. I don't have the car yet, which blows goats. However, just got off the phone with the engineers, they say power should be up by 35-40 hp and 50lbs/ft of torque. Super stoaked.
Nice!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 PM

C230 Kompressor
Cool. ECU, Exhaust, cams, intake?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 e350, a BMW, an Audi, a Camaro

Congrats! Any dynos they will provide you to post? Love to see them. Did they say what they will charge for the programming? Do they need to open the box or are they uploading via OBDII? Are they offering the ability to reset the flash counter and flash dates/shop code back to OEM specs in their flash so it is dealer undetectable? Sorry for all the questions but i'm excited.

cheers! Mike
Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
An ecu change (piggy back or flash, etc) was mentioned before. Will they tell you if the added timing advance when the turbo is spooling up from a start? Makes a huge difference. Also, will they say if the knock sensor a general umbrella protection against preignition/knock?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 PM

1990 500SL-2002 C230 Coupe-2012 c250 Sedan SOLD-2012 C63 Coupe
Im hoping the cost is reasonable and the info on the tradeoffs is available like impact to drivability etc if there are any.

Since the bump in horsepower will only allow me to possibly move up in terms of speed to the level of a scion tc or civic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renntech C250!