C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Spirited Driving?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C300
Spirited Driving?

Hey guys,

I plan on buying a 2012 C350 Sport here in the next couple weeks (can't wait!). I am just wondering how do you guys drive your C-class?
By that I mean, are you guys hard on the gas, how do you guys take turns? Etc.

I am pretty hard on the gas and like taking turns at a speed most people don't. I currently driving a Lexus GS300 and its holding up very well with the way I drive except it feels like a tank.

I have been debating between the 07-08 TL-S, IS350 F-Sport, and the C-350.Since my whole family and I are all Lexus buyers, I decided to change it up a bit and try a Mercedes. My cousins have had a few BMW's which are really fun to drive but not fun to repair which leaves me to get a Mercedes.

I just wanna know how well the C-class is holding up and how you guys drive it. Would I be okay buying this car if I drive a little more spirited? I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I drive my cars extremely hard. My previous C class (W203) fell apart and had to be traded in before raping my bank account. None of the problems I had with it could be attributed to driving it hard. All electrical gremlins, oil leaks, sensors, etc.

The W204 is a much more reliable car, but it still doesn't have me convinced. I leased this one for the duration of the warranty - taking no chances!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 Black on Black
Same I hit the canyons twice a weak hitting speeds of 80 on straights and 50-60 on turns none are 90degrees of course. Id say get springs and your good to go
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 PM

2010 C300 sport 6spd
On second set of rears at 19000mi.

I love driving my C300 6spd. Donuts, power slides and what not wore out the tires, albeit very evenly worn down to 1/32 tread depth in 19000 miles. All fun miles. I can't rotate due to the staggered tire set up. But that is ok, it is going to nap for winter any day now.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 PM

'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by NguyenPervert69
My cousins have had a few BMW's which are really fun to drive but not fun to repair which leaves me to get a Mercedes.
There isn't a whole lot of difference between BMW and Mercedes when it comes to frequency and cost of repairs. If that scares you, you should purchase an extended warranty or trade the car in before the factory warranty is up.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 PM

'10 C300
Originally Posted by Pete7874
There isn't a whole lot of difference between BMW and Mercedes when it comes to frequency and cost of repairs. If that scares you, you should purchase an extended warranty or trade the car in before the factory warranty is up.
Yeah I plan on getting an extended warranty to be safe.

I plan on keeping the car completely stock through winter besides tints. Then when spring comes by, I plan on getting some different wheels along with springs.

I just want to make sure that this car can take a beating as Lexus has never let me or my family down. I can beat on the GS knowing nothing will happen as with my cousin and his BMW's, he didn't drive it hard because he was afraid something would happen. He has left German engineering and went back to Lexus. He told me to "Beware" lol.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 AM

GLK 250
Not to be mean to the toyota owner, I think it not a fair comparison between Mercedes and Toyota. Honestly, I really dont know how hard you can push a vvti engine. Vvti are build for fuel save and always cause lag when accelerate.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55
Why not get a C32 or C55?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
...I plan on keeping the car completely stock through winter besides tints. Then when spring comes by, I plan on getting some different wheels along with springs.

I just want to make sure that this car can take a beating as Lexus has never let me or my family down. I can beat on the GS knowing nothing will happen as with my cousin and his BMW's, he didn't drive it hard because he was afraid something would happen. He has left German engineering and went back to Lexus. He told me to "Beware" lol.
IMHO, there is a difference in reliability between Lexus and German cars, yet I have a preference for german cars.

If you buy, and you have muli-family drivers, I would suggest modest drop springs as someone said vs sway bars, as the bars make your wonderful independent suspension less independent.

When the C300 lux was purchased, we test drove a similar BMW and Audi 6 cyl awd's with a/s tires. The Mercedes was more comfortable and less "sporty", but I had no trouble matching ultimate performance on the back roads, getting some air occasionally.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
Originally Posted by bmccrackin
I love driving my C300 6spd. Donuts, power slides and what not wore out the tires, albeit very evenly worn down to 1/32 tread depth in 19000 miles. All fun miles. I can't rotate due to the staggered tire set up. But that is ok, it is going to nap for winter any day now.
I knew I couldn't be the only one! I just put on new rear tires at just under 20K miles. There was practically no tread left when I took them off. I don't do donuts or power slides, but I do like to flooring it from light to light sometimes.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 AM

'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
I just want to make sure that this car can take a beating as Lexus has never let me or my family down.
Statistically, Lexus will be more reliable, and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the way you drive it. Electrical/electronics/sensor stuff tends to fail on the Germans more often, even if you baby it. That's not to say that you could get lucky and your C-class might just be bullet proof. I'm just talking statistically. YMMV.

For the record, my Audi A4 was more reliable than my Honda Accord. So much for statistics...
Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM

W204 2010 C300 Sport/6M
I drive mine pretty hard usually. I'm more worried I will need a new clutch and tires before I will have to pay for anything breaking. So far so good. Not near the performance driving experience I had with my prior car which was a 2008 BMW Z4. Still fun but just not AS fun.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by waiszeto
Not to be mean to the toyota owner, I think it not a fair comparison between Mercedes and Toyota. Honestly, I really dont know how hard you can push a vvti engine. Vvti are build for fuel save and always cause lag when accelerate.

What an ignorant post. Virtually all manufacturers use some form of variable valve timing today. The IS350 would certainly show you its tail lights - "fuel saving" VVT-i and all.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Drive it like you stole it.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevink2
If you buy, and you have muli-family drivers, I would suggest modest drop springs as someone said vs sway bars, as the bars make your wonderful independent suspension less independent.
Respectfully disagree here. The C Class already has front and rear antisway bars, so the theoretical loss you mention has already occurred in the original design. However, for reasons best known to MB, the Sport antisway bars are somewhat sub-optimized for thickness. The Eibach antisway bars are transformational to the car and improve steering response, roll resistance, and deliver more of that slot-car type of feel, with little to no loss of ride quality. Changing springs simply stiffens the car on all road surfaces, telegraphs minor imperfections more often, deteriorating ride quality (although if you have the benefit of great quality roads, this is a more minor issue). For a pure handling improvement, I suggest the Eibach bars first and leave the springs alone.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Respectfully disagree here. The C Class already has front and rear antisway bars, so the theoretical loss you mention has already occurred in the original design.
You simply misunderstood my statement. I spoke of drop springs, knowing the car already had springs. When I said bars, it was implied but not stated that I meant stiffer bars.

However, for reasons best known to MB, the Sport antisway bars are somewhat sub-optimized for thickness..
They are sized for the Majority of owners, who like the ride and don't upgrade the bars.

The Eibach antisway bars are transformational to the car and improve steering response, roll resistance, and deliver more of that slot-car type of feel ...
Totally Agree.

... with little to no loss of ride quality. Changing springs simply stiffens the car on all road surfaces, telegraphs minor imperfections more often, deteriorating ride quality (although if you have the benefit of great quality roads, this is a more minor issue).
Totally disagree.

Modest spring rate increases (~30%) will not provide the performance you described of Eibach bar upgrades, but they will match the sportier rides of the related OEM BMW's, while maintaining the pure independence of the suspension. Sway bar single-wheel rate increases vary, but Eibach's typically are 50-80% (need to verify) and have a related 100+ % net change in single wheel joust rate.

Springs are still softened by the load path, which include a top rubber pad for struts, and control arm bushings as well as an occasional spring perch pad for wishbones. The sway bar upgrade includes stiff poly bushings at the pivots, where a little give with rubber is amplified my the MR (Motion Ratio). Oem end links still supply some cushion.

The sway bar rules in comfort when you go over a development speed bump, square to the bump, as it has no suspension stiffening effect.

For a pure handling improvement, I suggest the Eibach bars first and leave the springs alone.
To each his own. For pure flat cornering on smooth roads, bars. For less flat cornering but better suspension quality, springs.

I put sways on a car that had none (Saab 900T), have a pair of sways for my 7 that only go on for HPDE summers (oems for rest of year), and designed and built an adjustable rear bar (9/16") for a car I autox'd and hit the big tracks with (Triumph GT-6, no oem rear bar). That last car I had 2x rate oem Race springs, and I disconnected the bars offseason, and ride quality was great, considering the rate increase.

At the big track, a guy with another 7 could not get through a high speed rough tarmac turn without drifting outward ... he had the biggest bars he could buy ... I had no issue with basic Eibach bars.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM

GLK 250
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230

What an ignorant post. Virtually all manufacturers use some form of variable valve timing today. The IS350 would certainly show you its tail lights - "fuel saving" VVT-i and all.
Still a Toyota Be mature, drive safe lol
Old 11-28-2011, 02:36 PM

I drive what I drive
Hello OP

Looks like you are comparing a 07-08 Acura TL type S, Lexus IS-F, and C350.

Well, #1, IS-F, 415Hp is no match to the C350 and TL-S. You should be comparing a C63 vs. IS-F

Out of the other two cars, I'd say Acura TL-S, because it is a honda and has a V6 motor that is super reliable, cheap to fix, and good on gas. No doubt the car is sexy as hell too.

TL-S takes this one compared to the C350. IS-F is in a whole other league.

Good luck on your choice!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevink2
You simply misunderstood my statement. I spoke of drop springs, knowing the car already had springs. When I said bars, it was implied but not stated that I meant stiffer bars.

They are sized for the Majority of owners, who like the ride and don't upgrade the bars.

Totally Agree.

Totally disagree.

Modest spring rate increases (~30%) will not provide the performance you described of Eibach bar upgrades, but they will match the sportier rides of the related OEM BMW's, while maintaining the pure independence of the suspension. Sway bar single-wheel rate increases vary, but Eibach's typically are 50-80% (need to verify) and have a related 100+ % net change in single wheel joust rate.

Springs are still softened by the load path, which include a top rubber pad for struts, and control arm bushings as well as an occasional spring perch pad for wishbones. The sway bar upgrade includes stiff poly bushings at the pivots, where a little give with rubber is amplified my the MR (Motion Ratio). Oem end links still supply some cushion.

The sway bar rules in comfort when you go over a development speed bump, square to the bump, as it has no suspension stiffening effect.

To each his own. For pure flat cornering on smooth roads, bars. For less flat cornering but better suspension quality, springs.

I put sways on a car that had none (Saab 900T), have a pair of sways for my 7 that only go on for HPDE summers (oems for rest of year), and designed and built an adjustable rear bar (9/16") for a car I autox'd and hit the big tracks with (Triumph GT-6, no oem rear bar). That last car I had 2x rate oem Race springs, and I disconnected the bars offseason, and ride quality was great, considering the rate increase.

At the big track, a guy with another 7 could not get through a high speed rough tarmac turn without drifting outward ... he had the biggest bars he could buy ... I had no issue with basic Eibach bars.

You have strong experience and knowledge, but have you had seat time in this particular situation of a C Class with antisway bars vs. spring change? I have a fairly well calibrated butt, having done in-development new vehicle assessments. Over the last year or more, the effect of the Eibach antisway bars on ride quality has been minimal, barely noticeable for an attentive driver, and well within norms for most occupants. However, as we agree, the handling change is dramatic, creating an overall strong ratio of improvement for the spirited driver, such as the OP. For the less than spirited driver, the improvement is without value, so no ride deterioration is worth the change. But, as at Baskin-Robbins, I also agree that we can each choose to prefer a different flavor!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:09 PM

'10 C300
Originally Posted by C230Kompressed
Hello OP

Looks like you are comparing a 07-08 Acura TL type S, Lexus IS-F, and C350.

Well, #1, IS-F, 415Hp is no match to the C350 and TL-S. You should be comparing a C63 vs. IS-F

Out of the other two cars, I'd say Acura TL-S, because it is a honda and has a V6 motor that is super reliable, cheap to fix, and good on gas. No doubt the car is sexy as hell too.

TL-S takes this one compared to the C350. IS-F is in a whole other league.

Good luck on your choice!
Its the Lexus IS350 with the F-sport accessories. I really do like the TL-S but the class and styling of the C-class is hard to beat. I feel it would be better for me to get the TL-S for the long run but I really do like the face-lifted C350. The IS350 has 306 horsepower and the new improved C350 has 302 horsepower which are pretty close. But I wanna own something else then Lexus right now.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 PM

'10 C300
Originally Posted by togaclk55
Why not get a C32 or C55?
I want a new Mercedes as it will be my first.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
really simple. get the new C350 w the CGI motor, and u are over 300hp to start with. Order it or find one w dyamic handling package, it gives u ride control that is super stiff and sporty w a sport button and an M mode with paddle shifts. I have the package in my 350 and its kick ***. They arent cheap to fix but I had 60K+ miles on my last one with just tires and one brake job, only warranty item was sunroof stutter that happens to alot of the C's, dealer reprogram fixed it. Very reliable and a fun goodlooking car. The 2012's are nice. Speed wise the IS350 is quicker than the C350, prob pretty close when compared to the 2012 MB motor tho, worst case u get a ECU tune for 500ish when they offer specials and your at 330ish HP. I had a Lexus as well, bought it back in 2000 w 19k on it (GS300) and I put 80k on it with nothing major other than a steering rack that went bad, prob me beating on it. Not even close to as fun as the C's are tho. Lexus makes a good vehicle nonetheless, a real ISF is the way to go if you can swing it.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:40 PM

'10 C300
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
really simple. get the new C350 w the CGI motor, and u are over 300hp to start with. Order it or find one w dyamic handling package, it gives u ride control that is super stiff and sporty w a sport button and an M mode with paddle shifts. I have the package in my 350 and its kick ***. They arent cheap to fix but I had 60K+ miles on my last one with just tires and one brake job, only warranty item was sunroof stutter that happens to alot of the C's, dealer reprogram fixed it. Very reliable and a fun goodlooking car. The 2012's are nice. Speed wise the IS350 is quicker than the C350, prob pretty close when compared to the 2012 MB motor tho, worst case u get a ECU tune for 500ish when they offer specials and your at 330ish HP. I had a Lexus as well, bought it back in 2000 w 19k on it (GS300) and I put 80k on it with nothing major other than a steering rack that went bad, prob me beating on it. Not even close to as fun as the C's are tho. Lexus makes a good vehicle nonetheless, a real ISF is the way to go if you can swing it.
Oh yeah, I would get a used IS-F but I wanna buy a new car. I am currently driving a GS300 and they feel like tanks lol. Don't get me wrong, there very smooth, but not a sports car. Would tuning the ECU effect anything or risk anything towards the engine? Besides me beating on it lol
Old 11-28-2011, 06:41 PM

I drive what I drive
Its the Lexus IS350 with the F-sport accessories. I really do like the TL-S but the class and styling of the C-class is hard to beat. I feel it would be better for me to get the TL-S for the long run but I really do like the face-lifted C350. The IS350 has 306 horsepower and the new improved C350 has 302 horsepower which are pretty close. But I wanna own something else then Lexus right now.
C350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 PM

'10 C300
That's what I'm leaning towards but the thing is the Mercedes dealer near me only have C300 4M's in right now and I definitely don't want to waste all that gas when there is only snow a couple months of the year. If it gets really bad, then I will drive the Tundra. What I am trying to say is I will probably have to wait to buy the C350 while I can just go into the Lexus dealer and snap a IS350 right off the lot. I really do hate waiting and making choices like these. :/

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spirited Driving?