C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

c300 sport six speed manual owners help me.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c300 sport six speed
Cool c300 sport six speed manual owners help me.

I just bought mine in September and its finally getting cold here. In the morning when driving my car cold. shifting first to second sounds pretty bad and as if it doesnt really want to go into gear. is this normal? should i be worried?

After it warms up is drives better but at first i think i might be breaking my car. anyone else experience this?
Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
I've never noticed that I'll pay close attention tomorrow morning and report back.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I've not had that issue over the two winters I've owned the car, nor yet this year, although we're barely down into the 30s and my car is garaged. Is the sound more like gear clash in the box, or does it seem more localized to the shift linkage? Either way, these cars are cold tested in environments likely much more severe than yours, although I don't know where you are. I think you will need to drop it at the dealer overnight for a cold start. Ask them not to start it until you arrive so you can witness/share the experience and discussion.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM

I've dropped it off at the dealer twice two different ones. Both said they could not duplicate the problem .. my warranty is up in 1,000 miles. I'm probably going to get an extend warranty somewhere . But the sounds is coming from the shift box area and sometimes give me a like a push back on the stick when i first put into gear . I've never owned a manual car before but when i bought it in September it wasn't doing this. I thought maybe im crazy and this is normal. But it doesnt feel it.

I live in rhode island, its not even that cold yet but it get down below 30s at night. you're from Michigan im pretty sure our weather is the same but your car is garage kept..
Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
I've had to bang the car into 2nd maybe twice over life of the car so far. Nothing recent, though. Fluid perhaps?
Also, I do recall a very old thread discussing vibration of the shifter when in second gear specifically. That is, if you glanced down at the stick while the car is in second gear, it is vibrating noticeably as compared to any other gear. Almost seems like the "alignment" of second is somehow just a tad off or something. Please keep us posted!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jeffdalnas
I've dropped it off at the dealer twice two different ones. Both said they could not duplicate the problem .. my warranty is up in 1,000 miles. I'm probably going to get an extend warranty somewhere . But the sounds is coming from the shift box area and sometimes give me a like a push back on the stick when i first put into gear . I've never owned a manual car before but when i bought it in September it wasn't doing this. I thought maybe im crazy and this is normal. But it doesnt feel it.

I live in rhode island, its not even that cold yet but it get down below 30s at night. you're from Michigan im pretty sure our weather is the same but your car is garage kept..
I suggest a different approach. Park the car on the dealer's lot, sign in with the advisor for your next day appointment, but keep the key. Show up early the next morning, and wait for a tech (not just the SA) to accompany you to the car and demo the problem for them. After the first start of the day and if they move it around, they will likely NOT be able to reproduce the problem once the car warms up.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:22 PM

thanks dude appreciate the help. But i actually finally think i figured out the problem. Like i said i've never owned a stick before i just drove my brother's kia which was stick and a few of my friends car before getting this. I think ive been holding too hard to left while shifting which is creating the clunking noise hitting the reverse opening and let go too soon. I feel like a huge retard if thats the problem but i drove the car with my brother today and he was like " there's nothing wrong with this car" and since then its drives extremely smooth but its was warmed up.. i'll have to try it first thing tomorrow morning let you guys know if that was the problem.. i

but off topic does anyone know where i can get the spoiler/ trunk lip for my car thats affordable?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doanster
I've had to bang the car into 2nd maybe twice over life of the car so far. Nothing recent, though. Fluid perhaps?
Also, I do recall a very old thread discussing vibration of the shifter when in second gear specifically. That is, if you glanced down at the stick while the car is in second gear, it is vibrating noticeably as compared to any other gear. Almost seems like the "alignment" of second is somehow just a tad off or something. Please keep us posted!

Yes i have this, but for some reason that doesnt seem like a big deal to me at all..

and i got the transmission fluid flush a few weeks ago
Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 AM

2008 C300 M6
For what it's worth, I have a 2008 6-speed, and I'm from WINNIPEG (COLD!!), and I get this on cold starts too. Takes a few KM and it's fine. Perhaps I'm a bit tight on my shift knob too, but I've driven standard transmissions my whole life. It never really bugged me because it shifts like a dream once she's warmed up a bit.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 AM

6spd C300 Sport
Sounds like you may have found the root of your problem, but it's probably worth mentioning you shouldn't just start the car and drive off in the dead of winter either. The various fluids have come a long way and don't freeze up in the cold like they used to but you should still let it warm up at least a little before you start driving.
As for it being more difficult to shift when it's cold, that makes perfect sense since the transmission fluid will be much thicker in the cold and doesn't flow as well. Once the transmission warms up everything is fine. Problem is a manual trans doesn't really warm up until you drive it but if you're noticing a change then it's probably a good time to put in fresh fluid.
My last truck did the same thing, they used ATF3 even in the manual transmission which is very thin and on cold morning it didn't do a damn thing to coat the gears. It was a common problem with the people in colder areas, one trick was to leave the trans in gear but put the transfer case in neutral so the trans could turn without the truck driving into your house but that doesn't really apply here. It was a Mercedes transmission though... I think it came out of a bus though
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Sportstick has the right initial path forward.

If they say nothing is wrong, get that extended warrenty showing the invoice that says nothing is wrong.

Then try new MB trans fluid, and look for copper particals in fluid. If no improvement, consider the car may have been abused ... slamming gears while braking at a road track w/o double clutching, or just bad shifting ... overworking the syncros.

Next find the MB oil req't, ie GL4 or GL5 .. no easy task ... Glyn Ruck may have answer. Then try some other Transmission Specific gear oils, that have grip additives to help the syncros. On other cars, I've used Neo 75-90HD and Redline 75W90 with success for better initial cold shifts during the winter. Others have Used GM and B&M products.

Last edited by kevink2; 12-14-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Like i said i've never owned a stick before i just drove my brother's kia which was stick and a few of my friends car before getting this. I think ive been holding too hard to left while shifting
On a related topic, once this issue is clearly resolved, try driving your car with just your fingertips on the shift knob, gently sliding the stick through the gears. This is a game of finesse, not force. The more you work against its natural path, the more it will resist. As you gain the skills for smoothness in your hands and feet, and you can drive the car so that it almost feels like an automatic, you will have mastered the machine. Then, you can drive to suit your (and your passengers') preferences, but you will have the skills. Along the way, if not already familiar, you should at least learn to double-clutch for smoother downshifting, which is actually also entertaining to perform!

By owning a manual MB, you have joined us with a recent classic...no more are being built, so ENJOY!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM

yeah my buddy that owns a s4 and told me the same thing just use your finger tips .....

but what is double-clutch?? and thank for your help everyone!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
yeah my buddy that owns a s4 and told me the same thing just use your finger tips .....

but what is double-clutch?? and thank for your help everyone!
Here is a good start:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-double-clutching.htm

There are more articles and YouTube videos on line as well to see it in action.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
I never notice the hard shifting but in general the cold weather conditions i would warm up the car till it reaches mid point.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Here is a good start:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-double-clutching.htm

There are more articles and YouTube videos on line as well to see it in action.
Best place to practice is a highway with low traffic, shifting between 6th and 5th, at about 50-60 mph. It has the lowest rpm change. Worked for me.

Now "heel-toe + double-clutch" when braking from 140 to 40 for a corner is another story.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:00 PM

2008 C300 6speed, 2015 GLK 250 2017 E400 wagon
I get the same thing when it's cold. 1st gear a little rough when you shift. Goes away are a bit. I have 48,000km's on it. When it's warm shifts smooth. Good Luck
Old 12-15-2011, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
When moving from first to second when cold try to match the engine to gearbox revs.

The syncromesh will then not have to work as hard to allow the gears to engage.

Ie ,if it will not go in the first time with light pressure re-depress the clutch & slightly rev the engine with light application on the first gear gate at the same time.