C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Peeling "Objects in Mirror" Passenger Mirror.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Peeling "Objects in Mirror" Passenger Mirror.

2008 C300. On the passenger side rear view mirror, where it reads "Obejects in Mirror are Closer than they Appear," or something similar, some of the letters are turning white. The correct letters are silver/matte, blends into the mirror nicely.

Has anyone else's mirror done this? Any idea on fixing it? I say peeling in the title as thats how it looks, but the letters are actually inside the mirror I think.

Appreciate any experience/advice anyone else has had on this.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No one has noticed this on the car since reading this the past few days?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AV6
pictures??? warranty?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Saab 900 SE
mine seem to fade left to right, i assume based on the angle and the way the sun hits it, not really peeling, more or less fading, my letters where pretty much grey and now are white, I honestly didn't even noticed them til you brought up this thread but I could really care less as its so small and does nothing to effect anything on my car.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AdidasC230
mine seem to fade left to right, i assume based on the angle and the way the sun hits it, not really peeling, more or less fading, my letters where pretty much grey and now are white, I honestly didn't even noticed them til you brought up this thread but I could really care less as its so small and does nothing to effect anything on my car.
I guess it is pretty widespread then. Thanks for confirming. I appreciate it!

I think it makes it look like the car is 20 years old or something. Plus, when half the letters are white and half are the correct color, it just looks like a car that hasn't been looked after properly. Silly perhaps.

Well, thanks for confirming. The glass is only $95 I think, so hopefully replacement won't be too bad.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey AdidasC230...

I parked the car in the sun for 3 hours, where the mirror had sun directly hitting it. It magically put it 90 percent back to normal. I don't know if this is a real "Fix," or just temporary, but it's something.

We're both in hot/humid areas, perhaps that contributes to it. Who knows.

Well thanks again for writing back the other day that your mirror did it too.

I won't worry about this now and just get it fixed down the road if I *HAD* to.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM

Saab 900 SE
You may be able to return them to color with a heat gun, my mechanic did it to mine just for kicks (we where experimenting with a mechanics tale) and it worked. Try a heat gun (do at a few inched distance for a few mins) see how it works for you, worked great on mine (past 2 days)
Old 12-30-2011, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You may be able to return them to color with a heat gun, my mechanic did it to mine just for kicks (we where experimenting with a mechanics tale) and it worked. Try a heat gun (do at a few inched distance for a few mins) see how it works for you, worked great on mine (past 2 days)
Awesome. I will try this if needed. Before trying the sun, I tried a hair dryer because it was within easy reach (hopefully she didn't notice). I didn't try long enough with it and it probably wasn't hot enough.

I do have a heat gun so I will try it if needed, it was just harder to dig out. ha.

Thanks a bunch. Hope yours stays clear!