C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Blind Spot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Originally Posted by papashango
When I put my car in reverse the side mirrors automatically adjust to show me the wheels so that I can stay away from the curbs.
I noticed that my car did that the other day, but since then I've been checking and noticed that it no longer does. I'll check it out for sure...who knows maybe something went wrong already?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
From all the opinions here, and all the articles I Googled (when did that become a verb?) I have made a conclusion that I will try and follow.

I have adjusted my side mirrors as it was suggested in just about every article I read. Lean my head to just touch the driver window then adjust the left side mirror to barely see the door handle. Move almost to between the two front seats and adjust the right side mirror the same way. I have driven over 50 miles that way today.

It is freakishly weird, but there was one car that I concentrated on, and it almost never left my sight. It was really eerie. I saw it in my rear view mirror, then he was trying to pass me to my left, and almost the very second it disappeared in the rear view mirror I saw it in my driver side window. Then by the time it disappeared from there, the hood of it was visible in my peripheral vision. I have to admit I was nervous as hell, because for a second there I had no reference point as to how far (or close) the car was from (to) me.

This is going to be a learning curve. Steep? maybe, and I am willing to give it a go for a while and see if I can re-learn how to use my mirrors.

Thank you all for participating. I am most appreciative.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 PM

'09 C350 4M, '11 Sienna SE, '84 VW Jetta GLi
Originally Posted by 2012c350
Most people don't know how to adjust their mirrors. I was guilty of this for YEARS. Now I need to relearn NOT looking over my shoulder. Following this has eliminated any/all blind spots. http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/
I did this and drove around all day today. No learning curve, adjusted right away and WOW. I don't know how I didn't drive like this before! Way better! Thanks for the link!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
Read this and realized that side mirrors where positioned like OP's post (able to see rear of car and rear door handles in side mirror). Which is incorrect and eliminates the need for any blind spot protections system or these eBay gimmicky mirrors.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:59 AM

2008 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by 2012c350
Most people don't know how to adjust their mirrors. I was guilty of this for YEARS. Now I need to relearn NOT looking over my shoulder. Following this has eliminated any/all blind spots. http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/
I started adjusting my mirrors this way after I read an article about it in car&driver. you will NEVER have a blind spot again. I literally never have to look over my shoulder. Just practice a little on side roads before you jump on the tollway