C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is COMAND swappable?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300
Question Is COMAND swappable?

Hey guys

I wanted to ask if I can switch COMAND unit with my friend who has a newer unit? Will it throw any code or does it even work since ECU might have the serial inside.

Thank you guys!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Mercedes C300
I'd assume that you would need to reprogram everything. If you have the cash then you can do whatever you want to the car
Old 05-14-2012, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
yes you can swap the COMMAND units, no coding, no passwords, completely doable.
Not sure why your COMMAND would have any effect on the ECU

Last edited by angeloxnet; 05-14-2012 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Britishracer (03-02-2021)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 AM

2010 C350, 2011 BMW 328xi
They are swappable for 08 and 09 but in 2010 they implemented theft deterence which requires coding. the following is copied from MB:

Head Unit Anti-theft Notes

Initial Startup: MUST be completed, every time – Read Please.

Head Unit anti-theft is implemented as of MY 2010 vehicles so any replacement head unit (new or remanufactured) is automatically equipped with anti-theft protection. A replacement head unit may plug and play in a vehicle, but if you don’t complete the initial start up steps, the head unit will lock up and there is no way to recover the theft-protection PIN.
If an official (from PDC) replacement head unit you receive asks you to enter a PIN while completing the initial start up this means this head has already been plugged into another vehicle and cannot be installed on the car.

EIS Part Number: 164/251 MY 2009 have an incompatible EIS (See LI document). The EIS must be replaced first before installing a replacement head unit, otherwise you cannot complete the initial start up and the head unit will lock up, the anti-theft protection is going to be active.
Test-fitting head units: not allowed on a permanent basis, but in certain urgent cases (no parts availability) or when the workshop uses a COMAND to test and verify customer. Should the urgent need arise where a test head unit is needed to verify a customer complaint, it is critical that you

1.Connect DAS to the donor car  perform initial start up & follow the prompts for Test swap of radio to trace customer complaints
2.Select Operations on reference vehicle & follow the prompts which will connect to VeDoc, uncouple the PIN, writes it back into the head unit and shows you a screen where you can actually see & print the PIN  PRINT the page
3.Remove head unit from donor car – have the PIN handy, you’ll need it
4.After installing HU into subject car  perform initial startup  DAS will ask you to enter the PIN  enter it as prompted
5.The PIN is now documented in VeDoc  DAS will unlock the head unit and it’s now ready to use
6.After you carry out your testing and decide to remove the head unit  perform STEP 1 again but now you’re to select Operations on customer vehicle to uncouple the head unit from the customer car and put it back into the donor vehicle
7.Again, perform initial startup on the reference car correctly disable the theft-protection & unlock the head unit

Summary
Every time you install/uninstall a head unit for testing purposes, the steps above MUST be performed otherwise you will not be able to recover this PIN and head unit is rendered useless. It’s critical that you follow the various coupling/uncoupling steps outlined by DAS
evikins (01-20-2021)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 PM

2008 C300
dude thanks a lot man you just save me some serious money

have a nice day!
Dsgolf (08-17-2023)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by ueritaGro
I'd assume that you would need to reprogram everything
i didnt re-program anything when i did my retro fit.......
Old 05-16-2012, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Does this hold true for putting in the factory nav into a car without it, 2010.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i have a 2008 and I have a COMMAND unit from a 2011 c-class
no theft code, no programming, nothing, it just works

not sure on the other poster's comments about this "security" system or programming
but as always, with any mod and any change... buyer beware
Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 AM

2010 C350, 2011 BMW 328xi
Angeloxnet, My post was merely a caution. If you had no issues--fantastic and that is great to know. I want to swap in as well and have been researching (and waiting for the right system) to make sure there are no castastrophic mistakes. Calling MBUSA is a waste of time as they will only tell you it is not authorized and won't give any further assistance. Dealerships won't mess with it either.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes it is a good warning regardless. What I did was swap with a friend's COMMAND unit to test.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So you guys didn't have nav, (I don't, and just have the small lcd) and swapped to get the motorized nav screen?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jason B
So you guys didn't have nav, (I don't, and just have the small lcd) and swapped to get the motorized nav screen?
I had the nav, 2008 nav
i swapped it for a 2011
Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What did you do with the 2008 nav? Would your 2008 nav work in mine?
Old 07-22-2019, 05:26 PM

CL600 - SLK350 - G550 - GLS450
Originally Posted by ltcinf
They are swappable for 08 and 09 but in 2010 they implemented theft deterence which requires coding. the following is copied from MB:

Head Unit anti-theft is implemented as of MY 2010 vehicles so any replacement head unit (new or remanufactured) is automatically equipped with anti-theft protection. A replacement head unit may plug and play in a vehicle, but if you don’t complete the initial start up steps, the head unit will lock up and there is no way to recover the theft-protection PIN.
If an official (from PDC) replacement head unit you receive asks you to enter a PIN while completing the initial start up this means this head has already been plugged into another vehicle and cannot be installed on the car.

EIS Part Number: 164/251 MY 2009 have an incompatible EIS (See LI document). The EIS must be replaced first before installing a replacement head unit, otherwise you cannot complete the initial start up and the head unit will lock up, the anti-theft protection is going to be active.
Test-fitting head units: not allowed on a permanent basis, but in certain urgent cases (no parts availability) or when the workshop uses a COMAND to test and verify customer. Should the urgent need arise where a test head unit is needed to verify a customer complaint, it is critical that you

1.Connect DAS to the donor car  perform initial start up & follow the prompts for Test swap of radio to trace customer complaints
2.Select Operations on reference vehicle & follow the prompts which will connect to VeDoc, uncouple the PIN, writes it back into the head unit and shows you a screen where you can actually see & print the PIN  PRINT the page
4.After installing HU into subject car  perform initial startup  DAS will ask you to enter the PIN  enter it as prompted
5.The PIN is now documented in VeDoc  DAS will unlock the head unit and it’s now ready to use
6.After you carry out your testing and decide to remove the head unit  perform STEP 1 again but now you’re to select Operations on customer vehicle to uncouple the head unit from the customer car and put it back into the donor vehicle
7.Again, perform initial startup on the reference car correctly disable the theft-protection & unlock the head unit

Summary
Every time you install/uninstall a head unit for testing purposes, the steps above MUST be performed otherwise you will not be able to recover this PIN and head unit is rendered useless. It’s critical that you follow the various coupling/uncoupling steps outlined by DAS

What if there is not DONOR VEHICLE ? can I get the pin from eeprom inside the command or are there any other method?

I'm working in a ML350 2012. Original shows a message in JAPANESE wordings.... I tried everything but still the same. Xentry doesn't help neither...

Thanks.... your post was very illustrative!
Old 09-12-2020, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 C250 CDI
Originally Posted by ltcinf

Summary
Many thanks for the advice.
I have problems with the Command Head Unit of my 2012 C250CDI W204, and was planning to purchase a similar used unit on ebay.
I have posted about this in detail "https://mbworld.org/forums/mbworld.o...d.php?t=794185"
Can this head unit code be entered using a common diagnostic device used at a local multi brand service workshop?
The MB Service in my locality is pathetic and incompetent.
Best Wishes.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:06 PM

S550
Could I swap my defective 2007 W221 command unit (audio will not work) with used 2007 command unit that I could buy on Ebay? My car is from Canad and the used unit would be from thr USA.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2022, 09:18 PM

ML63 AMG
The prevailing wisdom is that this should work as the anti-theft coding on the Comand system came in in late 2008. I just tried to install a W204 2010 lookalike Comand system on a W204 2007, it plugged in OK and then and it failed, however I didn't get the anti-theft warning, it all ran OK but with no sound!! The wrecker guy said the 2007 and 2011 units were not interchangeable so I sent it back. So if you're doing a Comand swap make sure you get one with the same part number or a compatible part number. There are reference tables available .. and no I don't have such. Swapping post 2008 Comand systems with anti-theft is a minefield, I wouldn't attempt it!