C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Switching from BMW to MB (Need Insight)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 BMW 330i
Thanks everyone for the responses, this has been great. I have some questions about the fun stuff now - modding. I did not do much to my e46 - just tinted the windows and added a dice unit so I could play mp3's through my stock stereo.

The c300's I am looking at are missing a couple of things I really like:
1) Fog lights
2) The AMG spoiler

How hard/expensive is it to add those after the fact? And what other mods do you recommend?

I am also split between a car with or without a Nav unit. The one with the Nav unit has black interior which I prefer but additional cost for the Nav is a consideration. How is the MB Nav system? My garmin just broke so a built in Nav wouldn't be a bad thing but in general I prefer less electronics in my ride (more stuff to break), that may be unavoidable with newer cars though.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by OasisNYK
Thanks everyone for the responses, this has been great. I have some questions about the fun stuff now - modding. I did not do much to my e46 - just tinted the windows and added a dice unit so I could play mp3's through my stock stereo.

The c300's I am looking at are missing a couple of things I really like:
1) Fog lights
2) The AMG spoiler

How hard/expensive is it to add those after the fact? And what other mods do you recommend?

I am also split between a car with or without a Nav unit. The one with the Nav unit has black interior which I prefer but additional cost for the Nav is a consideration. How is the MB Nav system? My garmin just broke so a built in Nav wouldn't be a bad thing but in general I prefer less electronics in my ride (more stuff to break), that may be unavoidable with newer cars though.
1) Can't address fog lights, as mine came standard
2) AMG or Brabus style (or roof mounted) spoilers are fairly easy. Just don't take the too-easy path of just using the dual sided tape. There are too many environmental variations to be sure you achieved good adhesion, and there are reports of those who thought they did having it come loose. Imagine the driver behind you at 70mph with a loosened spoiler aimed at their windshield! The solution is to apply a bead of urethane and allowing the spoiler to set in taped down position (blue tape) for a day. That is secure, so be sure you like that spoiler!
3) I bought a new Garmin with USA/Euro maps for less than a quarter of the MB built-in price. Easy to take when travelling by plane, and a far better nav system. I only need a nav for about 5% of the time spend driving, so a minor inconvenience and major savings. Look for an Arkon vent mount on Amazon for about $5 for an excellent front-of-instrument panel mounting location.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by Scat01
Exactly what model E46 did you drive and was it owned or did you rip around town in someone else's car for a couple hours? Same question for the W204?
My ex had an 01 330i so I drove it extensively. I also spent two weeks in a 2008 C350 (as well as days at a time in various C300s) while my 2005 was in the shop. Plenty of seat time in both.. they didn't feel even remotely the same.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Always enjoy the banter...that's why we are here and imagine how boring it would be if we all agreed on everything!

The point with the Lexus was simply to exaggerate to illustrate that different folks are sensitive to different amount of variance. I can assure you if I put my 86 year old mom in all these cars, she could not tell them apart dynamically, including the Lexus. We are all on this sensitivity scale...just at very different places, although among forum members, one would expect we would cluster as more similar to each other.

This is an interesting subject, as it may even have a more basic neurological component. I maintain that I can tell a MB from a BMW just based on steering feel and chassis response. My doctor will also say that I am one of the most sensitive patients he's had to small changes...events that most people would not react to or even notice. So, subjectivity likely again rules the day, as we are all different, experience the world differently, and like to talk about it. Here's one to keep someone occupied on subjectivity. Prove to yourself and your significant other that when you both see what you call the color "red", you are actually having the same internal subjective experience!! Have fun with that one!

I hear ya - now that is an interesting spin to put on this, but certainly is logical...I will pass on the fun project with my wife, I confuse her enough on a daily basis haha.

"LILBENZ" - Don't know what to say, maybe I got a "dud" E46 from the factory and your ex had a great one, but cannot imagine arriving at your conclusion as they are both rack and pinion steering and independant suspension cars - but agree to disagree ok? I can honestly say my '94 325is and '97 M3 were both better driving cars than the much newer '04...hmmm, maybe I did get a bad one...
Old 05-25-2012, 03:48 PM

2001 BMW 330i
So the dealer lowered the value on my trade and wouldnt cut a deal so I walked out and test drove other brands (BMW and Audi). Really liked the Audi so I made the purchase.

MB did call me after the fact and offered to give me full value for my trade but I decided not to go for it. Now the dealer from Audi called me and apparently they made some sanfu on the car and painted a panel (they were just supposed to remove some dents). I am considering not taking the car because of that.

This is seriously a pain - I thought buying a car would be easy.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:52 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Not when the salespeople/service advisors are cutthroat idiots. From start to end of your car's life, expect these guys to make the ride bumpy.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM

2001 BMW 330i
Originally Posted by Domm
Not when the salespeople/service advisors are cutthroat idiots. From start to end of your car's life, expect these guys to make the ride bumpy.
Haha. Is that a general statement for all or a reference to my current experience?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
So the dealer lowered the value on my trade and wouldnt cut a deal so I walked out and test drove other brands (BMW and Audi). Really liked the Audi so I made the purchase.

MB did call me after the fact and offered to give me full value for my trade but I decided not to go for it. Now the dealer from Audi called me and apparently they made some sanfu on the car and painted a panel (they were just supposed to remove some dents). I am considering not taking the car because of that.

Might be worth taking MB up on their most recent offer. Long term quality and reliability alone could make this decision worthwhile versus an Audi. Read this:

http://www.autobytel.com/mercedes-be...-award-111426/
Old 05-25-2012, 04:11 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Well, this one in particular is for your experience. Sometimes they're worse than cutthroat idiots. Can you imagine worse after paying 30-40k? I pay $3 for some ice cream and get better service.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Might be worth taking MB up on their most recent offer. Long term quality and reliability alone could make this decision worthwhile versus an Audi. Read this:]
Take heed - The Audi will give you fits...And screw spending that kind of money on a car with paintwork - Please take your time and make an educated decision, second largest investment in most people's lives does not deserve an impulse buy or regret could be in your future...good luck (I would seriously consider buying the MB with the new offer)
Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 PM

2001 BMW 330i
Yeah - I am going to back out of the Audi deal and shop some more. Its unfortunate that it happened but better safe than sorry.

Will talk to the Benz guys again.