C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

lowering springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Had my car lowered today on H&R Sport Springs. It dropped 1 full inch infront and only .5 in the rear. I'm hoping it settles a little more in the rear, but the front is perfect.

Front

Rear
Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by rb23lb
I also agree weight difference is minimal which makes me think it's not a c350 vs c300 thing

c350 weight: 3,615 pounds
c300 weight: 3,527 pounds

88 extra Pounds enough to compress coils into each other?
I had a hard time finding weights with similar trans and RWD. What models/years those weights represent?

Estimate about 150 lb/in "wheel rates" for the SS springs in the soft condition, 88lbs less for C300 would raise the front AT MOST about .3", vs the C350 which rides on the hard coils.

Heavier is heavier. The point I was making was that the C350 blows through the softzone and rests on the stiffzone (jimmythegreek), and I thought the C300 may be different. But it's not enough to assure proper compression of the SS spring with some extra compression before hitting the hard zone.

Last edited by kevink2; 07-12-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by tasho3
Had my car lowered today on H&R Sport Springs. It dropped 1 full inch infront and only .5 in the rear. I'm hoping it settles a little more in the rear, but the front is perfect.
Looks great, what rear pads are on? is 5mm an option to drop rear a bit?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by kevink2
Looks great, what rear pads are on? is 5mm an option to drop rear a bit?
stock ones, no idea what size they are. The car is lower in front than rear and I like it this way. But I'm guessing it will settle down a bit more so the difference won't be as much ( .5 inch from front to rear )
Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
I had a hard time finding weights with similar trans and RWD. What models/years those weights represent?

Estimate about 150 lb/in "wheel rates" for the SS springs in the soft condition, 88lbs less for C300 would raise the front AT MOST about .3", vs the C350 which rides on the hard coils.

Heavier is heavier. The point I was making was that the C350 blows through the softzone and rests on the stiffzone (jimmythegreek), and I thought the C300 may be different. But it's not enough to assure proper compression of the SS spring with some extra compression before hitting the hard zone.

Weights are from 2008 models...
Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Actually it does mean it's heavier in the following applicable case, and it includes a thing called crankshaft.

As I recall the difference between the C350 and C300 is the stroke. Going back to when the engines were similar and both port fuel injected:

1) the extra stroke requires a taller block = more weight

2a) the thing called crankshaft needs to be much bigger at the mains for the higher torque = more weight

2b) crankshaft also must have more offset to the rod bearings to create the extra stroke = more weight

Ready to admit you dont know what your talking about yet? Stop spreading misinformation.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Tjohnson4845
Ready to admit you dont know what your talking about yet? Stop spreading misinformation.
This could be expressed in a less hostile manner. Please lower the temperature of your different point of view. "I disagree and believe you are incorrect" accomplishes the goal, for example. Thank you.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by Sportstick
This could be expressed in a less hostile manner. Please lower the temperature of your different point of view. "I disagree and believe you are incorrect" accomplishes the goal, for example. Thank you.
sportstick is on point and sees all!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
There is that gnat with no information buzzing around again. You still have not answered my question about where the error is my related post #72. And while your at it, how about detailing the misinformation found on my post #42. It would be nice to see trace amounts of knowledge, vs name calling like a 5 year old. Again, looking for tecnical misinformation in posts #42 & #72.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by foosicle204
I know there's some threads on this already but I was just wondering how the car would look if it were dropped with the stock pads in the back instead of the 5mm that most people seem to be doing. I'm thinking on getting either the h&r sports or eibach pro-kit. so if there's anyone with pics of either one I'd appreciate it
the thread has been high-jacked, back to what the OP was asking....

i know youre looking for pics of h&r sports or eibach pro-kit, which i dont have but i have h&r super sports about a month old

Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 PM

2009 c300 sport 4-matic
nice. any idea how much more the rear will settle in if any?

Originally Posted by caligreenzzz

i know youre looking for pics of h&r sports or eibach pro-kit, which i dont have but i have h&r super sports about a month old
I think this might be what I go for it seems like the perfect drop. what size wheels do you have? and are those the stock pads in the rear?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 PM

W204
19in wheels, with stock pads in rear, no complaints...
Old 07-13-2012, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
any big differences in ride quality between sport and super sport with STOCK rear pads?
This is where OP introduced interest in the Super Sports .... OP can't hijack his own thread.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM

E350
Originally Posted by caligreenzzz

Car looks great. I agree i have the super sports as well with no complaints. The ride is more stiff, but that's to be expected.

lowering springs-mc5.jpg
Old 07-13-2012, 04:24 PM

W204
thx TJ...as does ur ride, love the wheels, very nice choice
Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 PM

C320

Front

Rear
More pics from side ! Looks great ! I think that is what i am looking for ! Specs of wheels and tires ?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Had my car lowered today on H&R Sport Springs. It dropped 1 full inch infront and only .5 in the rear. I'm hoping it settles a little more in the rear, but the front is perfect...
Looks great, how's the ride? Any pics of the whole car ... F & R in one shot?

I think the oem rear pad is usually 8mm thk, and 5mm are available for another ~1/4" of drop.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
I think this (SS) might be what I go for it seems like the perfect drop. what size wheels do you have? and are those the stock pads in the rear?
Before you buy, consider the experience of five others that had some issue with these springs ... see post #26. Caligreenzzz had no issues, and I believe him.

Also look at post #59, where jimmythegreek (tuner shop owner?) noted the key problem he saw on two installs.

Then buy what floats your boat!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
nice. any idea how much more the rear will settle in if any?

No clue, hoping for another 1/4" inch, maybe somebody that has had their springs for a while can chime in on this??

Originally Posted by teggiz
More pics from side ! Looks great ! I think that is what i am looking for ! Specs of wheels and tires ?
Thanks mate. its actually raining heavy out here ATM, but will take pics as soon as I get a chance. It looks much better from eye level than these pics cause of the camera angle. Wheels are 18's, 225 40 Front and 255 35 rear. The car corners much better and the ride quality hasn't changed much, if any at all I think.

Looks great, how's the ride? Any pics of the whole car ... F & R in one shot?

I think the oem rear pad is usually 8mm thk, and 5mm are available for another ~1/4" of drop.

Thank you, as I stated above, I don't notice any change in ride comfort, only it corners much much better. Will take more pics as soon as I get a chance, and I might do the 5mm pads after I drive it around for a couple weeks and it doesn't settle any lower.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
Car looks great. I agree i have the super sports as well with no complaints. The ride is more stiff, but that's to be expected.

Love those wheels, you car looks stunning, and I think these cars look best in white
Old 07-13-2012, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
As per request here are some quick iPhone pics:

Old 07-15-2012, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
As per request here are some quick iPhone pics:
Thanx. These H&R Sports look great, even better with the thinner 5mm rear pads. If you don't have to have the mega drop, this is a great spring, imho.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Originally Posted by Knightmare69
Wow, I cannot express how BAD of an idea it is to cut coils. Springs are designed in a specific manner to work a certain way, there is a reason we pay the costs we do for what seems like a simple part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving money when possible, ****, I've even got replica rear window and trunk spoilers, but those are exactly what it is, spoilers that serve no function and therefore corners can be cut (no pun intended) but now you guys are talking about cutting a coil off the H&R and I am just disappointed.

See now, here's where one COULD argue H&R's design. As he stated they were designed in Germany so it's very possible the springs were designed based off the road conditions there and not more general for international applications. I also think that it's possible that complaints are rare because most ppl probably don't know if their springs are riding the way they should be.

HOWEVER, lets be clear here, we are riding aftermarket springs on STOCK Shocks. I too am guilty of this and followed the boards incomplete feedback on this combo which is why I rethought my position and decided to order the bilstein shocks before launching complaints about the bad design of H&R springs. Until my bilsteins arrive and are installed, I hold my tongue on their true performance.

Having some experience in modding cars for many years, I will tell you that MANY high performance luxury cars, including exotics are lowered and customized by reputable companies using stock suspension parts that are modified, as in cutting part of the coil. I am not or did not recommend to anyone that cutting their coils in their driveway is the way to go, very bad idea. If you get down to having stock springs, sports, and SS you will see 2 differences. The stock springs are linear all the way down, and the sports and SS are teh SAME exact spring except in length, there is a half a coil missing on the SS which loads the spring differently and drops the car further and is stiffer, period. For any of you that think H&R spends millions on R&D of their springs for the hundreds of vehicles it makes springs for, you guys are mistaken. Im sure they do some testing, but its not all you think it is. My custom springs ride almost as smooth as stock and are same height as SS and were made by a GUESS of myself and the maker, an in between of SS and the stock springs. they rode nice at first but were a little high, and a half coil was cut to lower the rear. yup like a rice burner haha
Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
Having some experience in modding cars for many years, I will tell you that MANY high performance luxury cars, including exotics are lowered and customized by reputable companies using stock suspension parts that are modified, as in cutting part of the coil. I am not or did not recommend to anyone that cutting their coils in their driveway is the way to go, very bad idea. If you get down to having stock springs, sports, and SS you will see 2 differences. The stock springs are linear all the way down, and the sports and SS are teh SAME exact spring except in length, there is a half a coil missing on the SS which loads the spring differently and drops the car further and is stiffer, period. For any of you that think H&R spends millions on R&D of their springs for the hundreds of vehicles it makes springs for, you guys are mistaken. Im sure they do some testing, but its not all you think it is. My custom springs ride almost as smooth as stock and are same height as SS and were made by a GUESS of myself and the maker, an in between of SS and the stock springs. they rode nice at first but were a little high, and a half coil was cut to lower the rear. yup like a rice burner haha
I appreciate your experience and I too have been modding cars for many years though sounds like not as long as you. But the golden rule I was always taught was never cut the springs. However, I do understand that to a certain degree, people who know what they're doing, who understand the engineering and the mechanics can figure out how to properly cut the spring. But lets be honest, how many ppl on this board would really know how? It's dangerous and in some ways irresponsible IMO to say that's its ok to cut the springs to members that don't know the physics behind it.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:46 AM

'07 C320 CDI
Originally Posted by Knightmare69
I appreciate your experience and I too have been modding cars for many years though sounds like not as long as you. But the golden rule I was always taught was never cut the springs. However, I do understand that to a certain degree, people who know what they're doing, who understand the engineering and the mechanics can figure out how to properly cut the spring. But lets be honest, how many ppl on this board would really know how? It's dangerous and in some ways irresponsible IMO to say that's its ok to cut the springs to members that don't know the physics behind it.
+1

I've always been told to never cut the springs, as it poses a real serious safety hazard

To see the actual number of people here suggesting that it's ok to do so, is scary. I hope those that are dishing out this info are actually qualified to do so.

Otherwise proceed with caution....Hazard ahead

Last edited by AMG_79; 07-17-2012 at 04:49 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: lowering springs