C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Consumer Reports Has Spoken

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Consumer Reports Has Spoken

The August edition of CR arrived, and has a head to head comparison of the C250 and 328i. The test is disappointing in that they used the Luxury models of both, which are the low runners, and certainly not the heart and soul of the segment. They tested a variety of attributes and found:

C250 Highs: Ride, handling, transmission, front seat comfort, fit/finish
C250 Lows: Rear seat space, some instrument panel controls
328i Highs: Fuel economy, handling, ride, acceleration, transmission, fit/finish
328i Lows: Engine clatter, i.p. controls, abrupt start/stop system

When they tallied the totals, the final score was an insignificantly different 328i with 86 points and C250 with 85 points. They did say the C is the quieter and more refined one while the 3 is quicker, handles better, and is more fun to drive...so no news here....we all knew that! They were surprised by the 3's 28mpg overall, which they said was best in class. They also said the C250 had the smoothest and most refined 4 cylinder they've ever tested.

So, the Haagen Dazs rule still applies...all great stuff, just pick your favorite flavor!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Sportstick
The August edition of CR arrived, and has a head to head comparison of the C250 and 328i. The test is disappointing in that they used the Luxury models of both, which are the low runners, and certainly not the heart and soul of the segment. They tested a variety of attributes and found:

328i Highs: Fuel economy, handling, ride, acceleration, transmission, fit/finish

When they tallied the totals, the final score was an insignificantly different 328i with 86 points and C250 with 85 points. They did say the C is the quieter and more refined one while the 3 is quicker, handles better, and is more fun to drive...so no news here....we all knew that! They were surprised by the 3's 28mpg overall, which they said was best in class. They also said the C250 had the smoothest and most refined 4 cylinder they've ever tested.

So, the Haagen Dazs rule still applies...all great stuff, just pick your favorite flavor!
I remember a few years back they were testing the Merc vs. the BMW and the BMW scored higher despite it having a total engine malfunction and it needing to be towed away from their testing facility. It was at that point I stopped paying attention to consumer reports.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Good news for Benz considering that other than power plant the C is mature while the 3 is at the begining of it's production cycle.

The 328i in reality looses out big time on refinement vs. the 6 cylinder power plant. They should have renamed it.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Although important, I have lost all respect and faith in CR's reviews over the years. Thanks for the summary!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
I don't understand why they call out mpg in reviews. Unless it's to appease the "green" crowd it should be lumped into the total cost of ownership. If someone is going to pick one car over the other based on fuel consumption (in USA at least), you're talking about $600/year and that's if the 250 is getting 20mpg which I guessed at. If that's a big deal then you should be spending $10K less and getting a car that will also save you $1500/yr in fuel.

I dunno....to me it's like bad mouthing a Lamborghini due to lack of trunk space.

All that being said, I do like the fact that my C350 gets good gas mileage (compared to the 5 V8s at home) but that was hardly a factor in choosing it.

Last edited by 2012c350; 07-03-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250 4matic
I've always felt that BMW is more like a weekend car and the Merc is more suitable as a daily driver.

What good is slightly higher acceleration and a bit sharper handling for daily driving? You won't even be pushing it anywhere near the top acceleration, nor would you ever need handling to a point where the slight difference would actually make a difference.

The ride quality and quietness of the Benz is much better for daily driving. Comfort > Performance, unless it's a weekend joy car.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Mercedes C300
Some more good news! MB is Luxury Automotive Brand of the Year for the 2nd year in a row

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...to-brands.html
Old 07-04-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Originally Posted by Domm
Some more good news! MB is Luxury Automotive Brand of the Year for the 2nd year in a row

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...to-brands.html
From the article: according to the strength of their brand

What exactly does that even mean? Sounds like it's a survey on how well a marketing campaign works as opposed to how good a car is.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, Heated FS, DIY rearview camera. 2002 QX4
Originally Posted by JamesKim
The ride quality and quietness of the Benz is much better for daily driving. Comfort > Performance, unless it's a weekend joy car.
For myself, I'd like more comfort after a busy working week. I want my C even quieter, closer to S-Class or Lexus LS 460(?)...
Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I've always felt that BMW is more like a weekend car and the Merc is more suitable as a daily driver.

What good is slightly higher acceleration and a bit sharper handling for daily driving? You won't even be pushing it anywhere near the top acceleration, nor would you ever need handling to a point where the slight difference would actually make a difference.

I understand your point, but feel the complete opposite. I look forward to enjoying every on/off ramp, cloverleaf, traffic circle that comes my way and I don't care if it's Thursday vs. Saturday. My requirement for a manual trans (and upgrading my antisway bars) is part of the same enjoyment. There is no need for the hassle of a second car when one great sports sedan can meet all my needs. I'm 58, but when I grow "old", I may change my mind...but I hope not!

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-04-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:58 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by 2012c350
From the article: according to the strength of their brand

What exactly does that even mean? Sounds like it's a survey on how well a marketing campaign works as opposed to how good a car is.
Well, I was skeptical as well, but it seems Harris Interactive bases the award on mainly sales success, quality of their vehicles, and the likelihood of consumers to purchase a MB over other brands. Assuming consumers have a brain when tossing around $36,000+, I would think they have done research on the different luxury brands and don't really dwell on sportiness to define a brand.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
I pick the Mercedes!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 AM

2011 C250 4matic
I understand your point, but feel the complete opposite. I look forward to enjoying every on/off ramp, cloverleaf, traffic circle that comes my way and I don't care if it's Thursday vs. Saturday. My requirement for a manual trans (and upgrading my antisway bars) is part of the same enjoyment. There is no need for the hassle of a second car when one great sports sedan can meet all my needs. I'm 58, but when I grow "old", I may change my mind...but I hope not!
Hmm. So just out of curiosity, why did you chose Mercedes over the BMWs? Reliability issues??
Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Hmm. So just out of curiosity, why did you chose Mercedes over the BMWs? Reliability issues??
An insightful question! Actually, I had a deposit placed on a 3 series and had somehow neglected to pay enough attention to the tires. My son pointed out to me that run flats were the only design available and that there was no place to carry a spare (without losing the value of the trunk) even if I replaced the run flats. At the time, run flats were not as developed as today....50 mile distance at 50 mph and the tire/wheel were one assembly. So, I took back the deposit and canceled the deal. I drive places where a 50 mile range was unacceptable.

I drove the A4 and rejected it for two reasons. 1) they were just launching and only were building automatics, and 2) I couldn't quite get over the Audi quality/reliability concern, especially remembering the one disastrous Audi I had which left me stranded more than once when the oil pressure sensor repeatedly cracked and sprayed out the sump all over the road. I briefly looked at the CC, which was to me clearly the best looking car in the segment, but the plastic interior felt cheap, and exterior design in down the list for me as a reason for purchase, so I quickly passed that one by. So, I sort of "backed into" MB, after finding that I could get a stick.

Modifying the car with new front/rear antisway bars and upgrading the tires helped breathe some life into the C. I've also enjoyed a comfortable, trouble-free car for four years. But, having just driven my son's new 328i, and with MBUSA essentially telling me they no longer want me as a customer (automatic only cars from now on), and with run flats now with a 150 mile range, and the tire can be replaced without the wheel, I've been doing the "build and price" function on the bmwusa web site, now that their new mSport package has launched. Not sure when I will pull the trigger, as price is a concern, but they have my attention.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM

2011 C250 4matic
An insightful question! Actually, I had a deposit placed on a 3 series and had somehow neglected to pay enough attention to the tires. My son pointed out to me that run flats were the only design available and that there was no place to carry a spare (without losing the value of the trunk) even if I replaced the run flats. At the time, run flats were not as developed as today....50 mile distance at 50 mph and the tire/wheel were one assembly. So, I took back the deposit and canceled the deal. I drive places where a 50 mile range was unacceptable.

I drove the A4 and rejected it for two reasons. 1) they were just launching and only were building automatics, and 2) I couldn't quite get over the Audi quality/reliability concern, especially remembering the one disastrous Audi I had which left me stranded more than once when the oil pressure sensor repeatedly cracked and sprayed out the sump all over the road. I briefly looked at the CC, which was to me clearly the best looking car in the segment, but the plastic interior felt cheap, and exterior design in down the list for me as a reason for purchase, so I quickly passed that one by. So, I sort of "backed into" MB, after finding that I could get a stick.

Modifying the car with new front/rear antisway bars and upgrading the tires helped breathe some life into the C. I've also enjoyed a comfortable, trouble-free car for four years. But, having just driven my son's new 328i, and with MBUSA essentially telling me they no longer want me as a customer (automatic only cars from now on), and with run flats now with a 150 mile range, and the tire can be replaced without the wheel, I've been doing the "build and price" function on the bmwusa web site, now that their new mSport package has launched. Not sure when I will pull the trigger, as price is a concern, but they have my attention.
Interesting! So you were kind of forced to get a Merc. I agree 100% with your Audi concerns. To me, Audi is a glorified Volkswagen (probably the most problematic car maker today).

Do you think you should wait a year and 2 month for the new 2014 C-class to make your final decision, or are you completely set on the new 3 series? It's a shame that they're going to cancel all the manual on the Mercs. You'd think that they'd keep it around for at least the sport models
Old 07-08-2012, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Interesting! So you were kind of forced to get a Merc. I agree 100% with your Audi concerns. To me, Audi is a glorified Volkswagen (probably the most problematic car maker today).

Do you think you should wait a year and 2 month for the new 2014 C-class to make your final decision, or are you completely set on the new 3 series? It's a shame that they're going to cancel all the manual on the Mercs. You'd think that they'd keep it around for at least the sport models
MBUSA has personally confirmed and reconfirmed to me on their MBAdvisors web site chat that the stick is gone. Of course, they can change direction, but they seem very fixed in their position. One possibility is the CLA which, although FWD, is about the same size as the current W204 (W205 will grow slightly). FWD can be done well, as VW/Audi has shown. No news yet on whether, when they slot that car under the C, if they allow a stick for the likely younger buyers. I do like my dealer a lot, and the car has been quite reliable, so the overall experience has been good, but as I recently bemoaned with a salesman at the dealership...."You guys have nothing to sell me next time." He understood and agreed.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:27 PM

I have see indications of a much later release date for the w205 (early 2014 and even later for the 4 matic). Do you have info that the new models will be released in the fall of 2013. Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
MBUSA has personally confirmed and reconfirmed to me on their MBAdvisors web site chat that the stick is gone. Of course, they can change direction, but they seem very fixed in their position. One possibility is the CLA which, although FWD, is about the same size as the current W204 (W205 will grow slightly). FWD can be done well, as VW/Audi has shown. No news yet on whether, when they slot that car under the C, if they allow a stick for the likely younger buyers. I do like my dealer a lot, and the car has been quite reliable, so the overall experience has been good, but as I recently bemoaned with a salesman at the dealership...."You guys have nothing to sell me next time." He understood and agreed.
I believe within a year, there will be 3-4 new mercedes benz models. Concept Coupe, A-class, and 1-2 other surprises. Here's to hoping at least one has a manual transmission option.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by dalazernet
I remember a few years back they were testing the Merc vs. the BMW and the BMW scored higher despite it having a total engine malfunction and it needing to be towed away from their testing facility. It was at that point I stopped paying attention to consumer reports.
At least they have stopped complaining about the cruise control handle being to close to the multifunction switch which they have been doing since they started testing MBs in the '70s.

Ooo, we are so confused.......
Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Yes - in local CR's of the CLK. They complained about the cruise control wand & also complained that the memory seat, column, mirror controls were frequently bumped by the driver's knee. Well I would like to see the freak of nature that could achieve that!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Originally Posted by RLE
At least they have stopped complaining about the cruise control handle being to close to the multifunction switch which they have been doing since they started testing MBs in the '70s.

Ooo, we are so confused.......
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Yes - in local CR's of the CLK. They complained about the cruise control wand & also complained that the memory seat, column, mirror controls were frequently bumped by the driver's knee. Well I would like to see the freak of nature that could achieve that!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
hey sportstick, what was the total cost of install for front and rear sways?

I know they have to drop the rear subframe....

I just put IPD front and rear sways on my 1984 volvo 245 turbo wagon (daily driver with over 350,000 miles) and it handles way better than by c350 and is more fun to drive even though it has way less power.... So I eventually want to get the eichbach anti sways on the benz but know its probably gonna set me back 1 grand ya?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by rb23lb
hey sportstick, what was the total cost of install for front and rear sways?

I know they have to drop the rear subframe....

I just put IPD front and rear sways on my 1984 volvo 245 turbo wagon (daily driver with over 350,000 miles) and it handles way better than by c350 and is more fun to drive even though it has way less power.... So I eventually want to get the eichbach anti sways on the benz but know its probably gonna set me back 1 grand ya?
That's a good budget to set aside, roughly evenly split between parts and labor. The bar kit goes for $400-$500 and assume 3 hours of labor for the rear and 1 for the front (actually a bit less but some shops don't bill hour fractions). The rear subframe has to be loosened but not completely dropped.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 AM

'08 C350
Originally Posted by dalazernet
EXACTLY!!!! I get tired of all the reviewers being partial to the bm. The C63 SLAUGHTERS the m3 but you still have people saying things like, "The m3's exhaust has a much nicer 'tuned' sound over the C63", and "I keep hitting the cruise control on the 63 on accident trying to set the turn signal"
These guys are frustrating.... If you can't appreciate a 6.2L V8, you don't belong reviewing cars!!!! Even if mazda made a 6.2, I would love it, because I love power!!!!!!!

Sorry for venting... Been looking at a lot of reviews and such on the 63(planning on getting one this winter), and some of these youtube-only reviewers are rediculas!!!

Last edited by MoneyMike23; 07-09-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MoneyMike23
EXACTLY!!!! I get tired of all the reviewers being partial to the bm. The C63 SLAUGHTERS the m3 but you still have people saying bs like, "The m3's exhaust has a much nicer 'tuned' sound over the C63", and "I keep hitting the cruise control on the 63 on accident trying to set the turn signal"
These idiots are worthless.... If you can't appreciate a 6.2L V8, you don't belong reviewing cars!!!! Even if mazda made a 6.2, I would love it, because I love power!!!

And please don't get me started on all the idiots that try to compare their coupe m3 to the 63 sedan!!!!

Sorry for venting... Been looking at a lot of stuff on the 63 (planning on getting one this winter), and these dumb people on youtube are just p*ssin' me off!!!
I understand your point, but I think a wider perspective is needed. Other than a fortunate few, perhaps including yourself, C63 and M3 are a small fraction of their respective programs. The largest issue is how a C250 compares to a 328i and, already to a somewhat lesser volume extent, the C350 to a 335i. In those comparisons, MB clearly has a good deal of work to do with the W205 to play catch-up for those who enjoy the fun-to-drive aspect of daily transportation. For the comfort/luxury bound, the current MB W204 does just fine.

P.S. We would appreciate if you could refer to those who disagree with you as simply that...and not call them "dumb" or "idiots". Thanks for helping us keep MBWorld a friendly, civil, and polite forum!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Has Spoken