C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Adaptive main-beam Assist inoperative

Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diamond White C63 coupe + PP

Hi all,

I am have some problems with my 2012 w204. Every so often I get this error message "Adaptive main-beam Assist inoperative" and then it stops working. It just defaults to a normal high beam when I push the lever forward.

Anyone having same problem?

Perry
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM

ML350
I JUST PICKED UP MY 2013 ML350 and got this same error on the first day. It worked for a few minutes and then displayed inoperative. Went to dinner and turned the car back on later and it worked for a few minutes then the error again. Did you ever get a resolution to this?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by pcho
Hi all,

I am have some problems with my 2012 w204. Every so often I get this error message "Adaptive main-beam Assist inoperative" and then it stops working. It just defaults to a normal high beam when I push the lever forward.

Anyone having same problem?

Perry
You have a warranty claim.
The following users liked this post:
CanadianS212 (09-15-2019)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by FLICK12
I JUST PICKED UP MY 2013 ML350 and got this same error on the first day. It worked for a few minutes and then displayed inoperative. Went to dinner and turned the car back on later and it worked for a few minutes then the error again. Did you ever get a resolution to this?
Hi FLICK12,

That is exactly the same symptoms that I had and sometimes it will work a bit longer too.

There could be 2 issues here.

Firstly you need to check if you have not set the hi beam assist to a right hand drive vehicle. If you did that could creat that message.

If that doesn't work I think you may have a faulty sensor and it needs to be replaced. Apparently there was a faulty batch of these sensors or cameras. This is located on the windscreen on the same location as the rain sensor is. Mine was replaced and it now works perfectly now

Originally Posted by RLE
You have a warranty claim.
Yes I got it done under warranty

Perry
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 AM

ML350
Hi Perry,
Thanks for the response. I have no idea how to set or even check if the high beam assist is set for a right hand drive. I would assume it is in the computer setting but i think it only lets me enable or disable. I have the 2013 ML350

I have a feeling that this is going back to the shop to be taken care of.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Hi Perry,
Thanks for the response. I have no idea how to set or even check if the high beam assist is set for a right hand drive. I would assume it is in the computer setting but i think it only lets me enable or disable. I have the 2013 ML350

I have a feeling that this is going back to the shop to be taken care of.
Hi Flick12,

The changing of left and right hand drive can be changed via buttons on the steering wheel. I cannot remember exactly the format but I have done it via the menus. Maybe it is best you take it to the dealer

Perry
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 AM

ML350
So I figured out how to get into the engineering menu on the command system. I did see that the car is set for Left Handed Drive which is what i assume you would want the car in since I am in the US and not left hand drive. I am guessing now that this is probably a faulty sensor.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM

So I figured out how to get into the engineering menu on the command system. I did see that the car is set for Left Handed Drive which is what i assume you would want the car in since I am in the US and not left hand drive. I am guessing now that this is probably a faulty sensor.
Hi Flick12,

That would be correct. I think you would have a faulty sensor.

However you do not need to go to the engineering mode in command to check if it is set for Left hand drive vehicle.

Here is approximately how you can do it via the buttons on your steering wheel (The 4 arrows buttons on the left side of your steering)
  1. Use the left or right arrows until you get to settingsand the press OK
  2. then use you top/bottom arrow to scroll to LIGHT and press OK
  3. then scroll with arrow key until you see "dipped beams settings for" it is here that your screen should display "Right side of Traffic" in my car it displays "Left side of traffic"
Hope this helps
Perry
Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
pcho - I'm not sure where you are located, but there are no dipped beam setting changes on the US models through the standard menus.

Sadly, we get a lot of settings neutered on our cars here.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
pcho - I'm not sure where you are located, but there are no dipped beam setting changes on the US models through the standard menus.

Sadly, we get a lot of settings neutered on our cars here.
I am from Australia. The settings is available on both my Benz.

Perry
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM

ML350
I am from Australia. The settings is available on both my Benz.

Perry
So, I went to the dealership today to have the car looked at. They hooked it up to the diagnostics and determined that the "codes" were set wrong on the car. Unfortunately, there was no real way to test this until I take it out again when it gets dark which will be in a few hours here. We shall see.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM

ML350
So, I went to the dealership today to have the car looked at. They hooked it up to the diagnostics and determined that the "codes" were set wrong on the car. Unfortunately, there was no real way to test this until I take it out again when it gets dark which will be in a few hours here. We shall see.
So, just as an update, they seemed to link the issue to a faulty camera which they replaced but after testing it again with the new camera it did not correct the issue. I wonder if the "new" camera was faulty as well.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM

So, just as an update, they seemed to link the issue to a faulty camera which they replaced but after testing it again with the new camera it did not correct the issue. I wonder if the "new" camera was faulty as well.
Hi Flick12,

Sorry to hear that you are still having an issue. Just remember that the setting for right and left hand drive is quite confusing. I cannot remember the settings as I am not near my car, it appears from memory that if you are left hand drive you have to set to traffic on right or something like that.

I am a bit suspicious that you indicated your setting was wrong as well as camera. It could be the dealer accidentally put on wrong setting after replacing camera

Further than that I can't help you. They should be able to fix that for you. That is technology :-)
Perry
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM

ML350
Hi Flick12,

Sorry to hear that you are still having an issue. Just remember that the setting for right and left hand drive is quite confusing. I cannot remember the settings as I am not near my car, it appears from memory that if you are left hand drive you have to set to traffic on right or something like that.

I am a bit suspicious that you indicated your setting was wrong as well as camera. It could be the dealer accidentally put on wrong setting after replacing camera

Further than that I can't help you. They should be able to fix that for you. That is technology :-)
Perry
Well just got a call from them saying its a faulty Headlamp unit. 5-7 days for the part to come from Germany.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 AM

Mercedes c250 Coupe 2013
Issues with Head Lights

Hi all,

I drive a c250 with ILS. Over the past 2 weeks or so I have noticed some issues with our headlights (ILS), when driving or even parkmode the head lights (beams) keep self adjusting and flickering as if there is an issue with a sensor. I know they are supposed to adjust normally with the adaptive beam system whilst driving but this is way too abnormal and this has only recently started to happen.

A fault light hasn't appeared yet but i know something is wrong, the headlamps are not supposed to adjust that often and they continuously dip up/down and flicker as if they can't focus properly.

Does anyone know why this may be?

Last edited by JBambhra; 09-12-2014 at 04:25 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 09-12-2014, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Is your windshield clean and undamaged in front of the camera? Can you clearly see the camera from the outside of the vehicle through the windshield?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Mercedes c250 Coupe 2013

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Is your windshield clean and undamaged in front of the camera? Can you clearly see the camera from the outside of the vehicle through the windshield?
I haven't checked that to be honest, could an obstruction on the camera be causing this? i will check later today and ensure that it is cleared.

Thank you
Old 09-12-2014, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
It could be - I know if takes a pretty good bug splat to make mine start crying that things are inoperative.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Luxury, 2017 E300 Sport
I had a similar issue with my 2011 E350. I would get "Adaptive Highbeam Assist Inoperative" on cold mornings. I bought the car just before summer and thus the reason it had never flared until this fall. I initially took it to an MB dealership (dealer A) who kept the car for about 3 days only to report the Super computer found no faults. They advised MBUSA believed it was normal and was the result of the environment/atmosphere. They advised I always clean the windshield to help resolve. Took their recommendations with a pinch of salt and left.

Message returned about a week later when temps dipped. I took it to dealership B who also used the Super computer to ascertain the camera was faulty. They kept the car overnight and replaced camera the next day. I am a happy camper now!

It appears the issue will not save codes but some dealerships are aware of a technical bulletin relating to this which compels a camera swap.

Adaptive Highbeam Assist Inoperative Error