C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 - WHY did dealer not give me Mobil 1 0W-40??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Question Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 - WHY did dealer not give me Mobil 1 0W-40??

I know some say that 0W-40 is the ONLY oil that should be used...

So should I be concerned about 5W40 on the dealer invoice??

I got a $129 A service with coupon.

Maybe cus I used a coupon they thought to give me the cheaper penzoil?

I am just concerned about the weight though.

Am I ok with Penzoil 5W-40 or should I demand the dealer change to what is recommended in my Owners manual from 2008?!?

Please help

Thanks as always
Old 08-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Mercedes C300
Based on this list, it seems to be certified and is up to the same standards of Mobil1 0W-40.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...5&suchbegriff=
Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by Domm
Based on this list, it seems to be certified and is up to the same standards of Mobil1 0W-40.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...5&suchbegriff=
I wonder what the advantages are of one to the other in a w204?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by rb23lb
I know some say that 0W-40 is the ONLY oil that should be used...

So should I be concerned about 5W40 on the dealer invoice??

I got a $129 A service with coupon.

Maybe cus I used a coupon they thought to give me the cheaper penzoil?

I am just concerned about the weight though.

Am I ok with Penzoil 5W-40 or should I demand the dealer change to what is recommended in my Owners manual from 2008?!?

Please help

Thanks as always
As has been discussed here for some time now, MB dealers (some) have switched over to M1 5W40. Maybe they get it cheaper, who knows. Either 0W40 or 5W40 is fine. If the Pennzoil product shows up on oil sheet 229.5 then it's approved.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
As has been discussed here for some time now, MB dealers (some) have switched over to M1 5W40. Maybe they get it cheaper, who knows. Either 0W40 or 5W40 is fine. If the Pennzoil product shows up on oil sheet 229.5 then it's approved.
Thanks. Yes, i have seen the discussion when I searched before I posted...but I also was concerned about the Pennzoil brand and if I should be concerned about any unnecessary wear or any loss of performance....
since it wasn't the recommended Mobil 1...

Anybody else on these forums running pennzoil 5w40?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well my SA just replied back with this link to a recent article about the Pennzoil, although it doesn't apply to Ultra Euro:

http://www.bloomberg.com/article/201...OFRVMeQPc.html

Pennzoil Synthetics Keep Pistons Cleaner Than Any Leading Synthetic Motor Oil
Cleaner engines help improve vehicle life for consumers
Press Release: Pennzoil – Wed, Aug 15, 2012 1:05 PM EDT
HOUSTON, Aug. 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Pennzoil® – America's most-trusted motor oil[1] – is announcing that Pennzoil Ultra™ and Pennzoil Platinum® keep pistons cleaner than any leading synthetic motor oil – including Mobil 1[2]. The Pennzoil synthetic motor oils are formulated by a team of scientists to produce products with superior cleansing technology that helps keep engines as clean as possible.
According to engine and oil experts, cleaner engines are better protected, more efficient and better performing.
"As they burn gasoline, all engines produce carbon, soot, corrosive acids and other byproducts that can lead to sludge, varnish and other engine deposits. These deposits inside of an engine can hinder performance, fuel economy, and ultimately engine longevity," said Dr. Robert Sutherland, Pennzoil Technology Manager. "All contaminants end up in the motor oil to varying degrees, so the question isn't whether oil that cleans is needed, but how well the oil cleans the dirt and deposits an engine generates. We've designed the leading Pennzoil synthetic technology to keep engines as clean as possible."
How Synthetics Work In Today's Engines
When it comes to engines, engineers consider pistons to be one of the most difficult parts to keep clean. The piston of an internal combustion engine receives pressure from the expanding gases in the combustion chamber space at the top of the cylinder. Pistons operate under high temperature, high pressure, and extreme acceleration forces. The placement and function of pistons within the engine make them particularly susceptible to the build-up of contaminants such as soot, carbon, and sulfuric and nitric acid which are all inevitable byproducts of the combustion process.
Pennzoil synthetic motor oil technology works to actively seek out contaminants and help prevent them from building up in an engine. Pennzoil synthetics take engine deposit clean-up to a whole new level because they not only help keep the engine clean, but also clean out engine sludge and contaminants that may have been generated and left behind by inferior oils in the past.[3]
How Pennzoil Makes A Clean Sweep Over Other Top Synthetic Oils
"We knew how well Pennzoil synthetics performed against the industry standard," noted Bree Sandlin, Pennzoil Global Brand Manager, "but we felt the best way to demonstrate that we had taken piston cleanliness to a new level with our synthetic formulations would be to show consumers side-by-side comparisons of how we stack up against other leading competitors, so they can see for themselves."
Using the industry-standard measurement for piston cleanliness, the Sequence IIIG test for weighted piston deposits, Pennzoil Ultra™ and Pennzoil Platinum® were tested against the leading synthetic motor oils in the marketplace. The Sequence IIIG procedure measures oil thickening and piston deposits during high-temperature conditions, inspecting pistons for deposits and varnish following the testing.
After the grueling 100 hour test, Pennzoil Ultra™ and Pennzoil Platinum® exceeded the minimum rating, as well as the competitors' ratings, demonstrating clear piston cleanliness dominance in the category.
Pennzoil Ultra™ keeps pistons up to[4]:
25 percent cleaner than Mobil 1
35 percent cleaner than Valvoline SynPower®
40 percent cleaner than Castrol EDGE® with SYNTEC®
Pennzoil Platinum® keeps pistons up to[5]:
8 percent cleaner than Mobil 1
17 percent cleaner than Valvoline SynPower®
20 percent cleaner than Castrol EDGE® with SYNTEC®
"At Pennzoil, our love of cars pushes us to continuously improve our full line of products by utilizing the latest motor oil technology," said Sandlin. "We engineer products that can keep a car's engine in condition as close to the day it left the factory as possible. Because we truly believe in our products, we offer one of the most comprehensive warranty programs in the industry."
The Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty is one of the first lubricant manufacturer programs that follows the vehicle manufacturer's recommended oil drain intervals. The Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty protects 15 engine parts from lubricant-related failure and provides motorists' vehicles with coverage for up to 15 years or 500,000 miles, whichever is first, when using Pennzoil synthetic products including Pennzoil Ultra™ and Pennzoil Platinum®.
For more information about the Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty program, the full line-up of industry leading Pennzoil products and exclusive technical and educational videos highlighting the benefits of synthetics go to www.Pennzoil.com or visit Pennzoil on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/Pennzoil.
About Pennzoil
At Pennzoil, we're car people. We love cars and the role they play in our lives. Some of our most cherished memories are made possible by cars. That's why we tirelessly pursue the latest advances in oil technology - to provide car lovers just like us with state-of-the-art motor oils that can help keep engines running strong for a long, long time. At Pennzoil, motor oil is our passion, but cars are our way of life. Long love cars.
Pennzoil® is the most trusted motor oil brand in America.* Each Pennzoil motor oil is formulated with special Active Cleansing Agents™ that not only help prevent sludge, but also clean out existing sludge. The full line of Pennzoil quality products includes Pennzoil Ultra™ motor oil with Hyper Cleansing Technology™, Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil® motor oil, Pennzoil Gold™ motor oil, Pennzoil® High Mileage Vehicle® motor oil, and Pennzoil Marine® engine oil. For more information about Pennzoil products, please visit www.pennzoil.com.
* Based on a survey of licensed drivers conducted by a leading research firm January 2005 – December 2010.
About Shell Lubricants
The term 'Shell Lubricants' collectively refers to the companies of Royal Dutch Shell plc that are engaged in the lubricants business. Shell Lubricants companies lead the lubricants industry, supplying more than 13% of global lubricants volume.a The companies manufacture and blend products for use in consumer, heavy industrial and commercial transport applications. The Shell Lubricants portfolio of top-quality brands includes Pennzoil®, Quaker State®, FormulaShell®, Shell TELLUS®, Shell RIMULA®, Shell ROTELLA® T, Shell SPIRAX® and Jiffy Lube®.
aKline & Company, "Global Lubricants Industry 2010: Market Analysis and Assessment."
[1] Based on a survey of licensed drivers conducted by a leading research firm January 2005 –December 2010.
[2] Based on ASTM Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30. Does not apply to Pennzoil Ultra Euro or Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40.
[3] Based on severe sludge clean-up test using SAE 5W-30
[4] Based on ASTM Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30. Superior Active Cleansing Agents versus our conventional and synthetic blend oils.
[5] Based on ASTM Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30. Superior Active Cleansing Agents versus our conventional and synthetic blend oils.
@yahoofinance on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

Last edited by rb23lb; 08-21-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic Sport
I won't be surprised. Toyota dealer didn't even use oem oil filter on the last service
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Dealer oil sticker on my windshield shows 0W-20. Is this ok?