C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Soon-to-be new owner. Thinking clearly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Soon-to-be new owner. Thinking clearly?

Hi all:

It's getting close to time to take the plunge. I've always wanted a W204, and now that the 2012+ have had the interior refresh, I can't think of a better time.

Would you all agree - the 2012 C300 4M is the most "sorted-out" W204, in terms of glitches and issues? To me, it's the last W204 that steers clear of the DI-related issues, and the rest of the car has been around for 5 years, so it should be well sorted. The ONLY thing I don't care for are the LED running lights....prefer classic fogs down there. I realize I can't escape LEDs so at least they are tasteful.

One other question - the port injected 3.0 in the C300 - I've driven a few of them and I like them. They seem "old-school MB" to me. They can't really be anymore bulletproof now, right? Old tech, tried and true, no surprises. Am I wrong? I don't have anything against the C250 actually, as I find the power to be fine, but the DI aspect....based on the other thread....seems that MB hasn't convinced anyone that their DI tech is good for the long-haul. So I'm thinking a 2012 C300 is the best option since the 2013 C300 goes DI.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS550, 2016 HD Roadglide (120ST), 1972 Super Beetle
Originally Posted by spyked
Hi all:

It's getting close to time to take the plunge. I've always wanted a W204, and now that the 2012+ have had the interior refresh, I can't think of a better time.

Would you all agree - the 2012 C300 4M is the most "sorted-out" W204, in terms of glitches and issues? To me, it's the last W204 that steers clear of the DI-related issues, and the rest of the car has been around for 5 years, so it should be well sorted. The ONLY thing I don't care for are the LED running lights....prefer classic fogs down there. I realize I can't escape LEDs so at least they are tasteful.M,

One other question - the port injected 3.0 in the C300 - I've driven a few of them and I like them. They seem "old-school MB" to me. They can't really be anymore bulletproof now, right? Old tech, tried and true, no surprises. Am I wrong? I don't have anything against the C250 actually, as I find the power to be fine, but the DI aspect....based on the other thread....seems that MB hasn't convinced anyone that their DI tech is good for the long-haul. So I'm thinking a 2012 C300 is the best option since the 2013 C300 goes DI.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!
Spyked, Ive only been around Merc for a year, and picked up my second one yesterday. I can tell you that we bought my wife's 12-C250 exactly a year ago, and it impressed me so much that I just bought myself an E class yesterday. Her C250 Sport is an awesome car! It's a black/black car with AMG wheels, P1, entertainment package, nav...etc. The AMG wheels do make you feel the road quite a bit, but that's to be expected with that package. Other than that, it's a blast!

Last edited by Tomspo04; 10-06-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I bought two MBs at the end of 2008, and both have been extremely high quality and reliability. The C is the 300 and, as many others here have found, it just keeps soldiering on. The more recent 250 does not seem to get much in the way of quality problems (something broken), but there is more discussion about design issues (the way it performs) than I would expect. There are a variety of opinions about how well the trans was developed to work with the capability of the engine, with more complaints than one would hope about inadequate response, being in the wrong gear (or at least feeling that way). Here is a recent example:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...y-problem.html

While your thinking is clear about the C300, the other side of the coin is that I am not a fan of all wheel drive, the more I compare our two cars. Even here in Michigan, I have learned quite clearly that a set of outstanding winter tires relieves one of the need to schlep around all that weight all year long with the effects on steering feel/response, handling, fuel consumption, cost of purchase and maintenance, etc. Our E4MATIC has no clear advantage, other than some better off the line motion on low mu surfaces. We put Blizzaks on both of our cars in the winter.

Drive the 300, drive the 250, and then just to understand how a 4 cyl turbo of the same general category can perform, just for education, go drive a 328i. If/when you come back to MB, you can decide the trade-off between the seemingly more generally satisfactory 300 vs the 250, and all wheel drive versus rear wheel drive.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 4matic sport
Perhaps you might consider a 2010 C300? That year still had the classic fogs vs LEDs. Although it must be said that quite a few people have had to replace a fog light due to rock strikes. I have the LEDs on my 2011, and at first I didn't like the look. But now I really appreciate the DRL LEDs on other cars for superior visibility and safety.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by global33
Perhaps you might consider a 2010 C300? That year still had the classic fogs vs LEDs. Although it must be said that quite a few people have had to replace a fog light due to rock strikes. I have the LEDs on my 2011, and at first I didn't like the look. But now I really appreciate the DRL LEDs on other cars for superior visibility and safety.
Fog lamps are easily protected with a piece of Lamin-X film. Our have survived four years intact.

LEDs are good for increasing the conspicuity of the vehicle, as DRLs are intended to do. But, they do not have the capability to throw a proper beam in the fog, if that is needed. So, the safety is a trade-off, depending on the conditions where you drive.

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-06-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Hi all:

Would you all agree - the 2012 C300 4M is the most "sorted-out" W204, in terms of glitches and issues? To me, it's the last W204 that steers clear of the DI-related issues, and the rest of the car has been around for 5 years, so it should be well sorted. The ONLY thing I don't care for are the LED running lights....prefer classic fogs down there. I realize I can't escape LEDs so at least they are tasteful.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!
Yes, you are. There is more to life than an extra 3-4 mpg and considering all the buyers-remorse posts about the four cylinder engine, I would not buy it.

Remember, MB put a little 4-banger in a 3500 lb. car because they had to and didn't want to bring the diesel here or go to the trouble of creating a hybrid version.

And I read just last week that for the UK market, the V-6s are being dropped from the W204 leaving only the little gassers and diesels.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:41 PM

2018 C300 sedan, P1, Multimedia, Burmester
I drive an '09 C300 with the 6-cylinder and every time I get a C250 loaner I HATE it. The throttle response is slow; I expect my Mercedes to move reasonably well off the line and not feel like, as the driveability link posted below mentions, a stick-shift in 5th gear at take-off. The mid-range power is good, but the bottom end is totally lacking. These aren't Hyundais, right? Every time I get back in my C300 after a C250 loaner, I feel like I'm in a completely different car (by "different" I mean better). No offense to C250 owners, btw, this is just my opinion.

Go with the C300; I promise you, you won't regret it.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
OP, you are clearly a well thought out potential owner...If you choose to go this route, do yourself a favor and look at C350 cars while your shopping the 300's - it seems a large majority become complacent with the power of the 300 and are always seeking HP gains whether thru cold air intake, exhaust, or tune options - no sense trying to achieve this 15% gain with bolt ons when you can just buy it as a well engineered option.

Good luck with your decison/purchase. (btw, I agree with RLE...)
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 AM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
I think the OP wants the refreshed interior
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 AM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Great thoughts!

Glad to know the classic C300 isn't troublesome for everyone. And I have definitely tried my best to like the 08-11 models, and I'd have one now, but I just can't get past the center stack. Don't like the buttons and the retractable cover (a sure-fire issue down the road, IMO).

I'm leaning towards the C300 because I want that classic MB feeling (solid, but relaxed). We've got an F30 328i in the family right now. Fine car, to be sure, but not a fan of the interior design and HATE the shifter and stop start system. The engine is certainly a nice one....but BMW isn't known for having great engine reliability lately (DI, HPFP, etc.), so it's a lease. The engine has changed the classic character of the 3 series though. That's another reason I am seriously leaning towards the C300 vs. C250 - already have a four cylinder turbo. I want to buy the MB and keep it for awhile, another reason I prefer not to wait for the W205. Always take a risk on leased cars, never purchased cars. In my (maybe misguided) opinion, a long term car is more durable in NA form, turbos (unless Swedish), tend to just be junked at 100k+ miles.

One more question - the LEDs at the bottom of the front bumper on 11+ models. If the LED burns out (if that's even possible), are they easily replaceable, or does the entire bumper have to be removed? How much is a replacement LED strip?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:31 AM

2014 ML 350 BT
Why don't you consider a 350 once your intention is to keep the car?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 AM

2018 C300 sedan, P1, Multimedia, Burmester
Just another suggestion: If you're looking for something "solid, but relaxed", I would go for the Luxury version as opposed to the Sport. The Sport feels solid, but a little too jumpy in the ride for my taste. The Luxury feels more like a luxury MB to me; well-built, no creaks, very quiet, and smooth ride. Plus, the wood-grain interior trim looks very nice.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 AM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
Originally Posted by Samaral
Why don't you consider a 350 once your intention is to keep the car?
Because the 350 is Direct Injected. DI technology doesn't seem to be extremely durable so far.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 AM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
Originally Posted by awstansbury
Just another suggestion: If you're looking for something "solid, but relaxed", I would go for the Luxury version as opposed to the Sport. The Sport feels solid, but a little too jumpy in the ride for my taste. The Luxury feels more like a luxury MB to me; well-built, no creaks, very quiet, and smooth ride. Plus, the wood-grain interior trim looks very nice.
Oh yes, and most important....Luxury model has hood ornament and doesn't have staggered wheels. It will take a small miracle to get me into the Sport model. That miracle is called M.A.R.S. Red, lol.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by awstansbury
This is great advice. Although I am firmly in the other camp, we've had some "buyer's remorse" among Sport buyers who want a more comfortable/relaxing experience. I've driven them both and the difference is quite clear. So, don't relent on getting the one you want!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM

2008 VW Rabbit
I was under the impression that the C-250, the C-300, and the C-350 were all Direct Injected. Is that not the case?

Reported driveabiltiy issues aside, in my search for a W204, I preferred the C-250 to the other models - it was easily peppy enough for me. I liked it a lot.

And one FWIW, I'm looking also at the Luxury, as the Sport tires can't be rotated due to having different sizes, front and rear. That seems to be a guarantee of really short tire life, IMO.

Last edited by Jaywalker; 10-07-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Added FWIW.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
This is great advice. Although I am firmly in the other camp, we've had some "buyer's remorse" among Sport buyers who want a more comfortable/relaxing experience. I've driven them both and the difference is quite clear. So, don't relent on getting the one you want!
+1. I wish I had at least test-driven the Luxury model. The current sport model seems to be even more firmly sprung than the 2008-2011 models (which I already felt was a wee bit too firm) and is a bit too lively for my tastes.... Otherwise, I think the C250 has been fine. Just put it in "S" mode if you need to accelerate rather quickly....
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 PM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
I was under the impression that the C-250, the C-300, and the C-350 were all Direct Injected. Is that not the case?

Reported driveabiltiy issues aside, in my search for a W204, I preferred the C-250 to the other models - it was easily peppy enough for me. I liked it a lot.

And one FWIW, I'm looking also at the Luxury, as the Sport tires can't be rotated due to having different sizes, front and rear. That seems to be a guarantee of really short tire life, IMO.
The C300 was never DI until very, very recently (2013 MY). The 350 and 250 are/have always been DI.

I'm sure the C250 is a fine automobile, but it doesn't offer 4Matic here in the U.S, and it's got DI AND a turbo....not exactly a recipe for long term durability, in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 PM

2008 VW Rabbit
The C300 was never DI until very, very recently (2013 MY). The 350 and 250 are/have always been DI.

I'm sure the C250 is a fine automobile, but it doesn't offer 4Matic here in the U.S, and it's got DI AND a turbo....not exactly a recipe for long term durability, in my opinion.
Thanks.

Only "possibly" on durability, though. I avoid All-Wheel Drives - I prefer to replace one tire, rather than all of them, if only one tire is damaged, and that's not always (ever?) possible with AWD. I'd buy a C300, if the weren't AWD. (I guess you could shave the new tire down to the same diameter as the old ones, bu tthat's wasteful and I'd rather just stay with RWD - I like the feel.)

I was always paranoid about my turbo on my Audi 5000, but the turbo was the one thing that didn't break - that doesn't mean you're wrong, though. A small engine is working pretty hard with a turbo, but old Volvo's engines have held up pretty well. Still, I have nothing against the pre-2012 C-300's and am considering them - DI may be the future, but I'd like to see a year or so of repair reports before I buy one.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
The C300 was never DI until very, very recently (2013 MY). The 350 and 250 are/have always been DI....
I thought the early C350's were not DI ???

Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
Only "possibly" on durability, though. I avoid All-Wheel Drives - I prefer to replace one tire, rather than all of them, if only one tire is damaged, and that's not always (ever?) possible with AWD. I'd buy a C300, if the weren't AWD. (I guess you could shave the new tire down to the same diameter as the old ones, bu tthat's wasteful and I'd rather just stay with RWD - I like the feel.)....
With 4MATIC, if you get a terminal flat, you should be able to buy 2 tires, not 4. The planetary center differential has friction clutch plates with a small preload.

For a Luxury model with the same size tires, front and rear, if you rotate your tires every 5-10K miles, any diameter difference will result in very slow slippage at the center diff clutch plates.

With staggered tires, the radius of the rears is 1/8" smaller than the fronts, when new. This confirms that some front to rear wear difference is OK. It's not likely you are burning up the rears with 4MATIC, so I see no reason to have to change all 4 tires.

Also, the 4MATIC only adds 145 lbs to a ~3500 lb car, so it's unlikely you will feel bogged down with the extra weight.

Last edited by kevink2; 10-08-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 143 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by alsyli
+1. I wish I had at least test-driven the Luxury model. The current sport model seems to be even more firmly sprung than the 2008-2011 models (which I already felt was a wee bit too firm) and is a bit too lively for my tastes.... Otherwise, I think the C250 has been fine. Just put it in "S" mode if you need to accelerate rather quickly....

funny as I am currently have a 2012 c350 loaner with dynamic package and I find the ride to be a bit softer than my c300 or my ex. shocks are starting to give already.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevink2
Also, the 4MATIC only adds 145 lbs to a ~3500 lb car, so it's unlikely you will feel bogged down with the extra weight..
Depends on your sensitivity. Most of that weight is directly over the front wheels, far from optimal. I can feel it (dealer loaner back-to-back experience) and don't at all care for it. It makes the entire experience feel more like a small version of our E rather than anything fun or entertaining.

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
funny as I am currently have a 2012 c350 loaner with dynamic package and I find the ride to be a bit softer than my c300 or my ex.
So, which is softer? Your C300 or your ex?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM

2009 Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport
Originally Posted by Scat01
OP, you are clearly a well thought out potential owner...If you choose to go this route, do yourself a favor and look at C350 cars while your shopping the 300's - it seems a large majority become complacent with the power of the 300 and are always seeking HP gains whether thru cold air intake, exhaust, or tune options - no sense trying to achieve this 15% gain with bolt ons when you can just buy it as a well engineered option.

Good luck with your decision/purchase. (btw, I agree with RLE...)
+1 Waited 3 months to get the C350 that I wanted CPO. So, so glad I did. Car is much quicker than 300, shocked me how much.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by kevink2
I thought the early C350's were not DI ???

You are correct. The 248hp engine was not DI.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Soon-to-be new owner. Thinking clearly?