C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Canada winter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Canada winter?

The winter is coming and this is my first car, I just got a set of winter tires. What else do I need to be prepared for winter? Battery chargers? Snow/ice wipers? What are the products that you guys always use to keep you safe?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Mercedes C300
Buy a good de-icer (rain x sells them) and a ice scraper for your windshield (unless you want to use your hands). Here in California, snow is something we never see unless we travel. I was in for a surprise and quickly learned I was severely unprepared on our trip to Reno (with a different car of course).

Wax your car asap before it snows. If your have a garage with a drain, try to hose your car down occasionally because of the salt they add on the road to melt the ice.

Last edited by Domm; 10-20-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:06 PM

w204 4matic
I've gone through 2 winters with my C... good set of snows, and an ice scraper should be it for city and most suburb driving. If i'm going out in really deep heavy snow i'll pre attach my tow ring once in a while (an old jeep 4x4 trail habit). But that being said if you're 4 matic on snows you will be hard pressed to get stuck.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Thanks for the tips guys! I do have an ice scraper in my trunk all the time. But I'm mostly worried about the battery, is there like a battery charger attaches to your battery keeps the battery charged while I'm at work or something?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:00 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Are you talking about this?

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-20-2012, 08:21 PM

w204 4matic
you will have no issues with battery man. I parked mine outside in collingwood for 2-3 days some times with no issue. But i know someone makes a solar powered trickle charger for batteries, just can't remember who
Old 10-20-2012, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Domm
The link seems to be down.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Sorry it was sent from my phone. The link was to amazon for:

Schumacher SEM-1562A 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Maintainer
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 PM

W203-4M W163
Battery will be fine. Original batteries seem to last for many years longer than the replacements, not sure why (anyone else find that to be true?). After the original battery hits 6-7 years, I replace it, then replace every 4 years after that to make sure you're not stuck in some parking lot with a dead battery.

Other than that, change the wipers, give the windows a RainX treatment, and keep a couple of blankets in the trunk. Radiator fluid is probably fine at this age I'm guessing, but it never hurts to check that as well.

My only other suggestion is to consider putting in a block heater and keep it warm when it gets really cold (below 10F/-12C). I had one when I lived in Alberta and it made quite a difference.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by FraKctured
Battery will be fine. Original batteries seem to last for many years longer than the replacements, not sure why (anyone else find that to be true?). After the original battery hits 6-7 years, I replace it, then replace every 4 years after that to make sure you're not stuck in some parking lot with a dead battery.

Other than that, change the wipers, give the windows a RainX treatment, and keep a couple of blankets in the trunk. Radiator fluid is probably fine at this age I'm guessing, but it never hurts to check that as well.

My only other suggestion is to consider putting in a block heater and keep it warm when it gets really cold (below 10F/-12C). I had one when I lived in Alberta and it made quite a difference.

My first battery only last about 4 years, the dealer had to swap it out for me under warranty. How do you keep block heater warm? I live in Calgary and coldest can get around -40F/-40C...so ek D:
Old 10-21-2012, 10:51 PM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by snowmuch
My first battery only last about 4 years, the dealer had to swap it out for me under warranty. How do you keep block heater warm? I live in Calgary and coldest can get around -40F/-40C...so ek D:
Weird--I've always had the original battery last a lot longer than that, but the next battery doesn't last nearly as long.

I lived in Lethbridge for 4 years, so I know exactly how cold it gets up there. Block heater is not an option in my opinion--get it installed or install yourself.

Our W203 Guru, Glyn Ruck posted the DIY info here and this is old tech, so it cannot be much different for the W204.

After install, there's a male plug that sits near the grill, and you just plug that into an outlet. It keeps the engine block at a reasonable temperature compared to outside. In Montana and in Alberta (mostly north of Calgary), there are a surprising number of public places to plug in your block heater, but even if you just plug it in overnight at home, it's worth it.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by FraKctured
Weird--I've always had the original battery last a lot longer than that, but the next battery doesn't last nearly as long.

I lived in Lethbridge for 4 years, so I know exactly how cold it gets up there. Block heater is not an option in my opinion--get it installed or install yourself.

Our W203 Guru, Glyn Ruck posted the DIY info here and this is old tech, so it cannot be much different for the W204.

After install, there's a male plug that sits near the grill, and you just plug that into an outlet. It keeps the engine block at a reasonable temperature compared to outside. In Montana and in Alberta (mostly north of Calgary), there are a surprising number of public places to plug in your block heater, but even if you just plug it in overnight at home, it's worth it.
Many thanks! Are those universal or there are specific ones for our engine?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 PM

2010 C300 4Matic
boots, coat, hat, gloves