C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Brake pads/rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 sport
Brake pads/rotors

Hello,
I have a 2009 C300 sport. have 30K miles on it. went to MB dealer for wiper fluid issue. in the courtesy vehicle inspection sheet, i was told that the rear pads/rotors need change "very soon". pads are 3mm left.
I called the technician, asked him why he thinks the rotors need change, he replied thats what they usually do. I asked whether he actually measured the rotor thickness or he said said because its usually changed with the pads, he said only because its usually changed with the pads. he said he remembers that my car has lots of miles on it, i said its 30K. then he said he thought it was much more than that. he said i can have the pads changed only, but he would recommend to have rotors changed as well. He said probably he didnt check the rotor thickness.
My question is....should i have the rotors changed as well? should rotor be changed each time the pads are changed??
I am still waiting for them to call me back with the quote...with and without rotor change. but i read somewhere that rear pads/rotor change may cost upto 1000$.
any ideas?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
I'd get a second opinion from an outside source...like an indy shop. Or if you have access to a micrometer, you can check the thickness of the rotors yourself - some rotors have the minimal wear numbers stamped on them somewhere.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 RWD
Check it yourself or go to an Indy shop. I changed my rear pads at almost the same amount of miles yours did and my rotors were fine.

Stealership seems just like they're trying to get your money.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by janathan
Hello,
I have a 2009 C300 sport. have 30K miles on it. went to MB dealer for wiper fluid issue. in the courtesy vehicle inspection sheet, i was told that the rear pads/rotors need change "very soon". pads are 3mm left.
I called the technician, asked him why he thinks the rotors need change, he replied thats what they usually do. I asked whether he actually measured the rotor thickness or he said said because its usually changed with the pads, he said only because its usually changed with the pads. he said he remembers that my car has lots of miles on it, i said its 30K. then he said he thought it was much more than that. he said i can have the pads changed only, but he would recommend to have rotors changed as well. He said probably he didnt check the rotor thickness.
My question is....should i have the rotors changed as well? should rotor be changed each time the pads are changed??
I am still waiting for them to call me back with the quote...with and without rotor change. but i read somewhere that rear pads/rotor change may cost upto 1000$.
any ideas?
Talk about a hard sell...

If your brake pad warning light is not illuminated, you have plenty of time to choose which pads you want to buy. I seriously doubt the discs need replacing (MB says, never turn their discs) since they are usually changed at every other pad change.

Lots of people here like Akebono pads as the next ten posts will prove.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 AM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Originally Posted by RLE
Talk about a hard sell...

If your brake pad warning light is not illuminated, you have plenty of time to choose which pads you want to buy. I seriously doubt the discs need replacing (MB says, never turn their discs) since they are usually changed at every other pad change.

Lots of people here like Akebono pads as the next ten posts will prove.
Interesting.

My dealer also told me it is time for new pads and rotors (slightly more believable at 83K mi). No warning lights. No noticeable fade in stopping power.

I guess it should be safe to wait.

I didn't get an estimate, but would be glad to hear what some of the members here paid for F/R pads and rotors

Last edited by dcjwlee; 10-26-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 AM

C300 sport
Thank you very much for replying.

@dcjwlee: you had to change your first brake pad at 83K??

MB service manager called and left a voice mail ....the (rear) pads and rotors will cost 638 $. I am waiting for her to tell me the price of pads without rotor change.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport 4Matic
Hi janathan,

Yup, I just had my A service done at the dealer. The dealer told me that I had 2mm on my rotor and for safety reasons, it is best to get both the rotor and brake pads change. Yup it's in the high $600-$700.

I wonder if I buy the parts (rotor and pads) and have a local mechanic install it?? Is this a safe way to have it done? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you very much for replying.

@dcjwlee: you had to change your first brake pad at 83K??

MB service manager called and left a voice mail ....the (rear) pads and rotors will cost 638 $. I am waiting for her to tell me the price of pads without rotor change.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
Interesting.

My dealer also told me it is time for new pads and rotors (slightly more believable at 83K mi). No warning lights. No noticeable fade in stopping power.

I guess it should be safe to wait.

I didn't get an estimate, but would be glad to hear what some of the members here paid for F/R pads and rotors
Here's why they said that and it's standard policy. If your car was in for a scheduled service, the tech looks at the brakes and if it looks like they will be worn out before the next scheduled service, they recommend (commission!!) changing them early so you don't have to come in earlier than you planned.

It is still OK to wait until the pad warning light comes on because there will still be adequate pad material left.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
FYI :My disc original thicknesses & wear limits. :-

Front - Ventilated :-

Original = 28 mm
Minimum before repair = 26.5mm
Minimum limit = 26mm
Max runout = 0.12mm

Rear- Solid.

Original = 10 mm.
Minimum before repair =8.8mm
Minimum limit =8.3mm
Maximum disc runout =0.15mm.

I found it difficult to measure accurately without a micrometer.

Ask the mechanic for the figures then you can make the decisions on when they can be replaced.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:33 PM

C220 CDI SLK 200
Hello,
any ideas?
My car run out of pads at about the same mileage.
after being quoted a huge price to replace the discs and pads I went and saw my friendly just down the road mechanic.
he informed me that the front rotors had worn to the limits and could not be milled. He also said that when the warning light comes on the wear left in the pads is not very much and if I valued my life more than the $900 to replace the front rotors all the pads then continue to ignore the light.

But until that light goes on feel free to drive
Old 10-28-2012, 12:49 PM

C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
My 09 C63 has about 1/4" pad material left. If the rotors are outside wear lower limit by e.g., .035" I plan to rough up the rotors to remove the old pad coating ( yes I know it's shiny) , and just install pads. (There is no kick back pulsation through the pedal indicating warped rotor. You interested parties can easily absorb the cost of a chinese caliper (measuring instrument) or micrometer if it avoids the large ripping noise many mechanics will make. Why a caliper perhaps? Because sometimes you can sneak the pointy tip accross the rotor STILL IN PLACE on the car, while a micrometer will probably require rotor removal.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
get it done at an indy shop...have them inspect it and see what you need..I think you are fine with just swapping out the pads.

get the parts online.
I have used akebono in my previous bmws and love them! no brake dust at all..you do lose minimal stopping power though
Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by motoman
Because sometimes you can sneak the pointy tip accross the rotor STILL IN PLACE on the car, while a micrometer will probably require rotor removal.
My chinese micrometers measure the front & rear disc in place just fine.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:16 PM

'09 C350
wow... $1000??? stealership for real.... I just recently had my back brake pads replaced.. i had the same questions as u man, and it seems that if ur brake replacement light has not shown up it's safe to say that u just need to replace the brake pads only (for the first time)... I bought a set of Akebono ceramic brake pads (with new sensors) from amazon for $65 and I got them installed by a local Mech shop that deals with German cars for $50. AND YES i love the new ceramic brake pads =)
Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 PM

C300 sport
Thank you everyone for replying.
Thank you Carsy for giving the details.
I will wait until the light comes and will take it to them...and see if they can check and tell me if rotors have worn out to the limit....if yes then would get them changed too. ....
Old 12-18-2012, 11:08 PM

C300 sport
i went there......told the service manager...to ask the technician to call me with the disk thickness measurement before changing the rotors....
as expected....never got the call.....told me they are fine...but i may hear a squeaking sound....its clear that they change it unnecessarily
i even got a discount on the pads