Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C-Class Redesign?

 
Old 12-04-2012, 12:52 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 213
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
C-Class Redesign?

Does anyone have a definitive answer on when the C-Class will be redesigned? 2014? 2015?

Thanks!
tuffcalc is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM
  #2  
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,905
Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Available late 2014 as a MY2015
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
I hope they have what in looking for in w205 or I might go to BMW or Audi
snowmuch is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM
  #4  
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AV1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,181
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
Available late 2014 as a MY2015
Do you know when the ETA of the new C Coupe variants will be ??

Curious to know as the current vehicle was released only last year
AV1 is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Usually coupe is one year later
snowmuch is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM
  #6  
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AV1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,181
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by snowmuch View Post
Usually coupe is one year later
That's normally the way it works but wasn't the case for the current W204 - coupe was released at least 4 years after the W204 range first appeared, will be interesting to see if the coupe variant follows quickly or is kept back to allow the current W204 coupe to clock up some time rather than just a short run
AV1 is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 01:24 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AV1 View Post
That's normally the way it works but wasn't the case for the current W204 - coupe was released at least 4 years after the W204 range first appeared, will be interesting to see if the coupe variant follows quickly or is kept back to allow the current W204 coupe to clock up some time rather than just a short run
I hope I don't have to wait! I really want to see what w205 c63 coupe offers!!
snowmuch is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 155
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 E63S
It been discussed and rumored that the next C will be built in USA... Anybody have a definitive on that?
van_rider is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Sportstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 4,975
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 228i
Originally Posted by van_rider View Post
It been discussed and rumored that the next C will be built in USA... Anybody have a definitive on that?
Yes.
Sportstick is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 04:18 PM
  #10  
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,905
Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by AV1 View Post
Do you know when the ETA of the new C Coupe variants will be ??

Curious to know as the current vehicle was released only last year
I have no news on that.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM
  #11  
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AV1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,181
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by van_rider View Post
It been discussed and rumored that the next C will be built in USA... Anybody have a definitive on that?
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Yes.
Really ??? is that for all or just local market supply ??

MB Aust. has a policy that all their model range supply comes strictly or only from German factories, except for models which are only manufactured outside of Germany that being the ML series AFAIK.

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
I have no news on that.
Thanks Glyn, unlike snowmuch I hope the current W204 coupe has a long run before being replaced with the W205.

As for the question of the W205 C63 it most probably will run the new 5.5ltr twin turbo V8 and probably won't be called a C63 anymore, even though some of the new release AMG's running the new twin turbo 5.5ltr V8 still wear the '63' badge.
AV1 is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 PM
  #12  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by van_rider View Post
It been discussed and rumored that the next C will be built in USA... Anybody have a definitive on that?
Tuscaloosa, Alabama where MLs and GLs are built and whose quality is impeccable so don't start complaining about that.

I will say that taking a factory delivery in Alabama doesn't have quite the attraction of Germany.

Last edited by RLE; 12-09-2012 at 11:23 PM.
RLE is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 32
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by AV1 View Post

MB Aust. has a policy that all their model range supply comes strictly or only from German factories, except for models which are only manufactured outside of Germany that being the ML series AFAIK.
I thought, all W204 with RHD were made in South Africa. Don't know though, if that's true for the Coupé as well.
H-ManZX is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 AM
  #14  
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,905
Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by H-ManZX View Post
I thought, all W204 with RHD were made in South Africa. Don't know though, if that's true for the Coupé as well.
Yes. South Africa has the sedan contract with top up from Germany until Tuscaloosa takes over W205 & we move to support China.

Most Coupe's s/b from Germany.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:54 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Carolina - Research Triangle
Posts: 284
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC300 and 2015 BMW 228i
Several of the automotive magazines have stated that W205's will definitely be built in Alabama. There isn't a lot of detail on the changes but they do expect the overall length to increases aka BMW 3 Series which makes room for the CLA as a compact. The estimated increase is 1.5" - 2".
ralawren is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Carolina - Research Triangle
Posts: 284
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC300 and 2015 BMW 228i
From Car and Driver:

"
2015 C-class
The next-gen C-class should be hitting markets in early 2014 as a 2015 model year. It will remain a classic rear-driver, with optional all-wheel drive, and it will be packed with the latest electronic gadgets and assistance systems. Of course, the coupe will continue on, as will a wagon variant in Europe. The high-performance C63 AMG will lose its awesome 6.2-liter V-8—its glory will henceforth be confined to the SLS AMG supercar. In the 6.2’s place will be Affalterbach’s ubiquitous twin-turbocharged 5.5-liter V-8 capable of 550 hp. With the change in powerplant is likely to come a change in that car’s name; expect the next AMG-ified C-class to go by C55."
ralawren is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 PM
  #17  
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AV1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,181
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by H-ManZX View Post
I thought, all W204 with RHD were made in South Africa. Don't know though, if that's true for the Coupé as well.
Yep, definitely German origin (I've checked all the detailed specifications from my VIN number) for the C Coupes and AFAIK all the sedans as well supplied to Australia are from German origin, the VIN is the key it reveals everything

Originally Posted by ralawren View Post
From Car and Driver:

"
2015 C-class
The next-gen C-class should be hitting markets in early 2014 as a 2015 model year. It will remain a classic rear-driver, with optional all-wheel drive, and it will be packed with the latest electronic gadgets and assistance systems. Of course, the coupe will continue on, as will a wagon variant in Europe. The high-performance C63 AMG will lose its awesome 6.2-liter V-8—its glory will henceforth be confined to the SLS AMG supercar. In the 6.2’s place will be Affalterbach’s ubiquitous twin-turbocharged 5.5-liter V-8 capable of 550 hp. With the change in powerplant is likely to come a change in that car’s name; expect the next AMG-ified C-class to go by C55."
That's exactly as I suspected and have mentioned elsewhere
AV1 is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 PM
  #18  
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,905
Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by AV1 View Post
Yep, definitely German origin (I've checked all the detailed specifications from my VIN number) for the C Coupes and AFAIK all the sedans as well supplied to Australia are from German origin, the VIN is the key it reveals everything
SA supplied most W203 to Aus. When SA was given the contract to supply LHD W204 Sedan to the US, Aus was moved to German supply. All a matter of plant supply balance.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 AM
  #19  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4Matic Sport, black/black
Transmission Question

Do I correctly understand from the Car & Driver article that the redesigned C-class 2015 available sometime in 2014 in the U.S. will be available w/manual transmission? I love my 2010 C300 sport (sedan), with my only regret being unable to find a dealer 3 years ago with a 6MT on the lot.

I had thought that a Benz with a 6MT would never again be offered in the U.S.
gkg680 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MDMercedesGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 1,193
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
Tuscaloosa, Alabama where MLs and GLs are built and whose quality is impeccable so don't start complaining about that.
JD Power and historical precedent disprove that. The ML until the most recent iteration was hardly a hallmark of quality, the GL is nothing to write home about, and neither was the R. The first gen MLs were known for being particularly awful...
MDMercedesGuy is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM
  #21  
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,905
Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
+1 ~ SA for a long while took ML's from Austria due to quality issues from Tuscaloosa. They seem to have improved though. The only thing I notice endlessly on new ML's from Tuscaloosa is that the leather stitching never lines up on the lower seat squab from the centre panel to the side bolsters. Highly variable. Things like that irritate me.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-10-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 PM
  #22  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy View Post
JD Power and historical precedent disprove that. The ML until the most recent iteration was hardly a hallmark of quality, the GL is nothing to write home about, and neither was the R. The first gen MLs were known for being particularly awful...
I'm talking about the new ones which I have examined.
RLE is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MDMercedesGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 1,193
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
I'm talking about the new ones which I have examined.
That's good that they are looking better. Still, historically I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.

I come from a huge GM family and have nothing but respect for Domestic cars, but I have to say, if my W204 were built in the Alabama plant, it would have been a very hard sell for me.
MDMercedesGuy is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 AM
  #24  
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AV1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,181
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
SA supplied most W203 to Aus. When SA was given the contract to supply LHD W204 Sedan to the US, Aus was moved to German supply. All a matter of plant supply balance.
Interesting info and good to know Glyn I'll keep that in mind the next time it comes up in conversation at an MB dealership here
AV1 is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
jctevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dix Hills, New York
Posts: 2,108
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1 View Post
That's normally the way it works but wasn't the case for the current W204 - coupe was released at least 4 years after the W204 range first appeared, will be interesting to see if the coupe variant follows quickly or is kept back to allow the current W204 coupe to clock up some time rather than just a short run
That was a bit different though, because the C-Class never had a "Coupe" variant, and they waited until the facelift to introduce it.

My guess is that they will most likely be changed together in the same model year.
jctevere is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C-Class Redesign?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: