C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C-Class Redesign?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 MB c class 4matic
Have had many MTs (Healeys(2), Fords,Honda,,Saabs (2)Audis and ,for a long time an'86 911.My wife's 2012 VW GTI with it's DSG gearbox is one of the most fun cars I've driven.It's a real hoot.Porsche has been staying in the garage and I bring out the MB when I want a comfortable, quiet ride...
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300E
Wow, lots of responses to my question.

I agree with previous posters, I don't care so much about speed or quickness. Sure if I was going to be racing I'd probably want the latest technology that shifts in milliseconds. But there is something awesome, at least for me personally, about pushing in the third pedal and placing the transmission into another gear.

I was asking about the next generation C because I grew up in a Mercedes family. I learned stick on my dads '82 240D and my first car was a hand me down 300E. Obviously right now I'm in a Honda Accord (which has an amazing manual transmission btw), but in a few years I think I will be in a position to make a new car purchase. I would love to continue the tradition of owning a MB in my family, but I think the lack of a MT option will drive me to look closely at BMW's, or even just stay in the Honda family.

But who knows, maybe Mercedes will throw a curve ball in the next few years and bring a manual transmission back to America. Time will tell.

*edited for typos

Last edited by kaputt; 07-24-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
However, the last sentence continues to make me think the motivation for some of us is still unclear. It's not about competing or being faster. It's the fun of being involved and having more to do. I don't know how else to explain it...either one feels it....or not.

It seems here in the C Class segment, Audi, BMW, and Cadillac ATS are maintaining my favorite choice. I know some regard us as 3rd world (fast food and our "popular" music as evidence!!), but I think I will find another couple of cars ahead of me still.
I understand your motivation, I think. I'm just saying that I think there's fewer people at car companies (including BMW) that share the same feeling b/c for many of them, I imagine it *is* about objective data (i.e., faster lap times) and not about subjective pleasure.... And that the choice to offer a MT for some companies (esp solely in the US) is something they do to appease the faithful but not something that they do b/c they themselves car deeply about this aspect of the driving experience.

That's all.

Speaking of transmissions.... MB finally announces it's 9-speed auto:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercede...count-to-nine/

Last edited by alsyli; 07-24-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I actually grew to like the transmission in my smart. In North America, the 451 smart is programmed to behave more like a traditional automatic with a creep function and such. Most of the time, the shifting is slow and deliberate; but it is mostly cooperative and for those times when it is losing its mind, a tap of a paddle activates manual mode.

MB fitted the NA versions with a traditional PRND +/- shifter, which leads a lot of people to think it is an automatic and they end up hating it. I've always said that it is a car for engineers - if you understand what it is doing you tend to understand why it behaves the way it does.

Out of curiousity, what's up with the Porsche 7 speed?
The survey was of auto journalists so consider where it comes from.

The Porsche 7 speed is criticised for too many gears with a poor shift gate thus frequently ending up in unintended gears.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-24-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by alsyli
I understand your motivation, I think. I'm just saying that I think there's fewer people at car companies (including BMW) that share the same feeling b/c for many of them, I imagine it *is* about objective data (i.e., faster lap times) and not about subjective pleasure.... And that the choice to offer a MT for some companies (esp solely in the US) is something they do to appease the faithful but not something that they do b/c they themselves car deeply about this aspect of the driving experience.

That's all.

Speaking of transmissions.... MB finally announces it's 9-speed auto:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercede...count-to-nine/
I too understand the motivation. I never thought I would tire of cog swapping but I have. I have never been a VW fan either but have to admit that their DCT is great & does it for me & gives me all the control I want with precise shifts every shift. If you think about the number of bad changes Mr average makes in a day with an MT it gives further pause for thought.

While I sometimes think the numbers game is getting a little rediculous with auto boxes the benefit will be keeping engines in a narrow rev band at peak torque & bhp while allowing above stoichiometric ultra lean burn for greatly improved economy without flat spots.

For us enthusiasts, however, this is not a pretty picture as we will untimately have to get used to that monotonous engine drone of present day CVT's ~ how awful.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by kaputt
Wow, lots of responses to my question.

I agree with previous posters, I don't care so much about speed or quickness. Sure if I was going to be racing I'd probably want the latest technology that shifts in milliseconds. But there is something awesome, at least for me personally, about pushing in the third pedal and placing the transmission into another gear.

I was asking about the next generation C because I grew up in a Mercedes family. I learned stick on my dads '82 240D and my first car was a hand me down 300E. Obviously right now I'm in a Honda Accord (which has an amazing manual transmission btw), but in a few years I think I will be in a position to make a new car purchase. I would love to continue the tradition of owning a MB in my family, but I think the lack of a MT option will drive me to look closely at BMW's, or even just stay in the Honda family.

But who knows, maybe Mercedes will throw a curve ball in the next few years and bring a manual transmission back to America. Time will tell.

*edited for typos
The bottom line on this topic is that it is all about and therefore driven by what is at the end of the day the most important factor for all manufacturers and ie. cost/s.

With MB the consumer demand in most if not all World markets for the auto transmission vs manual is at approx. 90% or more vs 10% or less respectively.

Therefore with such a low demand for manual it is not worth the expense of having that hardware as part of the inventory.

I believe as time goes on manuals will dissapear all together with most car manufacturers, certainly all future MB models will most likely be auto only.

I too learnt to drive and grew up with manuals, my first was a "3 on the tree" manual equipped vehicle (showing my age here) but I've also embraced and learnt to love this newer and better generation of autos, so what I do to satisfy myself in this regard is have multiple vehicles, some of which are older types with manual transmissions and thereby enjoy the best of both Worlds