C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Front suspension noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C350
Front suspension noise

Hey guys. Got a bit of an issue. I'm lowered on H&R super sports and I've been hearing this "clunking" noise from the front of the car when I am driving over speed bumps or imperfections on the roads. It's a dull clunk noise. I brought it to the dealership and they said it could be the springs, but they would not touch it since it's aftermarket. I than brought it to two different independent shops. The first one said it could be my shocks but it isn't leaking. The second shop said it wasn't my shocks. They (second shop) said they placed these listening/viewing devices on the suspension and could not determine where the noise is coming from. They (second shop) said it could be the springs that are making the noise when the suspension is flexing over the bumps and road way. Anyone have any idea or had dealt with this before? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 PM

Mercedes benz c350 sport
i know how you feel...i had the same problem and no shop ever found out what exactly causes it...i decided to take off the wheel myself and tighten every single bolt i can find...i put the wheel back on and went for a test drive. the noise was gone.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
It's possible that your springs aren't seated correctly. The ends of the springs are suppose to sit at a certain point on the hats/perches. You can try to jack the car up, wiggle the spring and see if it's loose or has any play. Look for a notch where the end of the spring is suppose to sit at. If there is play, align the spring, lower the car back down and re-tighten the bolt that connects the hat to the spring/shock.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Have you localized it to the driver or passenger side at least?
It could be many things, but one thing to check is the top-hat retention nut to see if it's loose at all. Years ago, when I changed my own springs, I apparently didn't tighten the nut on one side down enough. Under normal load, it wasn't an issue because there was enough tension to not allow the spring to shift. When going over speed bumps, the spring compressed enough, and for a short enought amt of time, that things would shift a tad and make the clunking noise. Worth a shot anyhoo...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by ktran350
Hey guys. Got a bit of an issue. I'm lowered on H&R super sports and I've been hearing this "clunking" noise from the front of the car when I am driving over speed bumps or imperfections on the roads. It's a dull clunk noise. I brought it to the dealership and they said it could be the springs, but they would not touch it since it's aftermarket. I than brought it to two different independent shops. The first one said it could be my shocks but it isn't leaking. The second shop said it wasn't my shocks. They (second shop) said they placed these listening/viewing devices on the suspension and could not determine where the noise is coming from. They (second shop) said it could be the springs that are making the noise when the suspension is flexing over the bumps and road way. Anyone have any idea or had dealt with this before? Thanks.
I have exactly the same issue. And it indeed is the shocks. To verify this, have somebody try to shake your car up and down, while you rest a finger on top of the shock bolt (open hood, remove cap from top of shock and lay your finger on it while somebody shakes the car ) and you'll notice that there is some odd feel, almost as if the shock rod is moving sideways. Just try it and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by tasho3
I have exactly the same issue. And it indeed is the shocks. To verify this, have somebody try to shake your car up and down, while you rest a finger on top of the shock bolt (open hood, remove cap from top of shock and lay your finger on it while somebody shakes the car ) and you'll notice that there is some odd feel, almost as if the shock rod is moving sideways. Just try it and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Wait, if you have this issue then it's possible your shocks isn't torqued down tight enough to the hat/spring. NOT that you need new shocks as you wrote in your other thread.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 AM
J__

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C200 CGI
check your sway bar end links. Those needed to be removed when installing springs, maybe they are slighting loose
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Knightmare69
Wait, if you have this issue then it's possible your shocks isn't torqued down tight enough to the hat/spring. NOT that you need new shocks as you wrote in your other thread.
I had my mechanic check and everything seemed tight and no leaks from the shock. He actually taught me that shock test, and the feeling came from inside within the shock, but maybe he could be wrong too?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 PM

'08 C350
Thanks for the reply guys. I will take a look when the weather gets a bit better here in WA.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 PM

'08 C350
I tried everyone's suggestions and everything looks good. Didn't see any issues. I remember reading about a recall regarding the front suspension not sure if its the castor arms or what that made "popping" noises. I tried to search it but came up with nothing. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 c400 sport
I tried everyone's suggestions and everything looks good. Didn't see any issues. I remember reading about a recall regarding the front suspension not sure if its the castor arms or what that made "popping" noises. I tried to search it but came up with nothing. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I know the popping you are talking about. I could never find what the hell was wrong. I thought it was parts needing replaced...

One day i had an alignment done and the sound was gone.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
There was a service bulletin long ago about one-time snapping noises with the wheels cranked over when backing which turned out to be the torque-arm bushings (MB's term) but I think this was the early cars. Mine were replaced twice and the noise has never returned. Whether this would also apply to cars with aftermarket suspension parts is a question.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by RLE
There was a service bulletin long ago about one-time snapping noises with the wheels cranked over when backing which turned out to be the torque-arm bushings (MB's term) but I think this was the early cars. Mine were replaced twice and the noise has never returned. Whether this would also apply to cars with aftermarket suspension parts is a question.
I don't think it matters if you're reversing or not, I get the noise as long as my wheels are turned full tilt. Someone mentioned that after their alignment the noise went away.