C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

c250 BMS Intake rubbing issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
c250 BMS Intake rubbing issues

Hi, for those with a BMS intake for their c250, please see this thread located in the c class coupe forums: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-c...ng-issues.html

To sum it up my BMS intake was rubbing causing a hole to develop in the intake and I wanted to see if anyone was experiencing the same issue. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
Just checked my intake and I have the same problem. Terry please chime in and address this issue as well as how BMS is going to solve and support current owners of this product. For everyone else, id encourage you to revert back to stock now to avoid any potential issues.

Last edited by Knightmare69; 02-22-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:02 AM

2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Knightmare69
Just checked my intake and I have the same problem. Terry please chime in and address this issue as well as how BMS is going to solve and support current owners of this product. For everyone else, id encourage you to revert back to stock now to avoid any potential issues.
Did yours get to the point where it has a hole in the filter?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
No but nearly there as I haven't had mine on for too long, but you can clearly see how the rubbing has broken the metal mesh outside the filter material. Checking your link I'm surprised to see Terry hasn't responded yet, this is quite a design flaw.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM

2012 c250 Coupe
If the mesh is broken already, try looking inside the filter and shine a light from the outside towards the broken part to see if light shines through as shown in the other thread.

Last edited by Kevin82; 02-23-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Did anyone verify that this intake makes hp, ie eliminates a pressure drop on the oem system?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 PM
SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
When you set the filter before tightening the clamp just angle the filter a mm or two so it can't rub on anything. On the movement with the screw holding the bracket to the base of the airbox there should not be any movement. If there is perhaps you have installed the bracket wrong, etc.

If you need a replacement filter we have those for $40 shipped. We suggest cleaning or replacing them every 10-15k miles. If cleaning use a normal K&N cleaning kit.

Trending Topics

Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Terry I'm sorry but I've tried installing this intake numerous times and there is no way you can avoid rubbing and your response is essentially blaming it on us, the consumer. Before we start arguing though, I'd like to wait and see the condition of other owners like jctevere and such.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 PM
SPONSOR

Terry I'm sorry but I've tried installing this intake numerous times and there is no way you can avoid rubbing and your response is essentially blaming it on us, the consumer. Before we start arguing though, I'd like to wait and see the condition of other owners like jctevere and such.
We've had one on our C250 development car for 20k miles+ and it's as good as new. If the filter is installed such that its rubbing the airbox bottom it will scuff and may eventually wear a hole in itself. If its not, it won't. Simple as that. I don't check the forums often so here is the info you and/or others may need.

1) When installing adjust the filter so its not touching anything, including the bottom of the airbox. You have two points of adjustment. The angle the metal tube is inserted in the OEM accordion, and the angle the filter is inserted on the metal tube.
2) If the filter is touching and is scuffed, etc, it's not much of an issue. But if it stays that way long enough you may eventually rub a hole in it. Once there is a hole in it we'd suggest replacing it with a new filter. Really nothing to panic over, though.
3) If you ever need a new filter or don't feel like cleaning it at the 10-15k service interval we offer them for the discounted price of $30 + shipping. Shipping is $10 within the USA. Internationals email as it varies by country. We don't have it listed on the site so just email orders@burgertuning.com to take advantage of that discount.

If anyone has any additional questions or needs additional info feel free to email me @ terry@burgertuning.com
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
I disagree Terry and it's not as simple as that. I feel the choice of filter size BMS choose was incorrect, the diameter is too wide for this space. Even if I managed somehow to adjust it in a way to avoid rubbing the bottom, I'd be rubbing the top. I highly doubt any company is going to openly admit that their product has any issues.

I've also tried adjusting the adapter but it can only seat in one way, after that you're bound to it's position in order to adjust the filter. Again, before this gets too heated, I'd like to wait and see if any other owners are having this issue, it is entirely possible that we installed it incorrectly so to speak but after looking over the filter and space for me personally, I find it hard do so. However, if other members are having this problem then I think it might be time for BMS to consider that there is a design issue.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by kevink2
Did anyone verify that this intake makes hp, ie eliminates a pressure drop on the oem system?

No one has, however after putting my oem with K&N panel back on, it sounds and feels like my car struggles to breath. I think our intakes biggest problem is how long the tract is from filter to TB. Using a cone filter theoretically should allow the engine to breath in more air from more space where as the panel filter can only breath from one point. However, my tuner said it wouldn't make much of a hp difference using either one.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:12 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by kevink2

Yes, we gained around 9whp in our testing, mostly at higher RPM. The car is very turbo limited so anything you can do to improve its efficiency pays off at higher RPM.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM
SPONSOR

I disagree Terry and it's not as simple as that. I feel the choice of filter size BMS choose was incorrect, the diameter is too wide for this space. Even if I managed somehow to adjust it in a way to avoid rubbing the bottom, I'd be rubbing the top. I highly doubt any company is going to openly admit that their product has any issues.
If you are unable to place the filter such that it's not rubbing the bottom of the airbox, which you should be able to, as we've done it on many local installs, then an alternative is to just push the metal mesh up in the area where it's interfering. The mesh will hold it's shape when bent up. What you want to avoid is uncontrolled light contact that will allow the plastic to eventually wear through the filter.

We have no plans to change the filter design given there are almost 1000 out in use without issue. But if you are the DIY type you are welcome to stick whatever filter you'd like on the end of our piping.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C Coupe
Oh wow this sounds serious.

I'm going to check my intake later to see if it's rubbing. Just bought the BMS intake a month ago...

People who have no issues are most likely consumers like me, who are unaware of this issue until they open their hood and remove the BMS intake (which no one would do unless needed do, such as cleaning the filters), thus explaining why no one has this problem except a few members. Thanks to those for pointing out this problem to bring awareness of this issue for the ~1000 BMS intake owners.

If indeed mine is rubbing and there's no way to fix it given the above solution by Terry, I do hope BMS gives us some sort of compromise.
I do hope it's user installation error....

Last edited by AllEyesOnMe; 02-24-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:49 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by AllEyesOnMe
If indeed mine is rubbing and there's no way to fix it given the above solution by Terry, I do hope BMS gives us some sort of compromise.
I do hope it's user installation error....
If you are unable to space it by positioning then push the filter element/pleat up 1/4" in the area where you are contacting. Should only take you a few seconds. If enough of you are encountering this issue we'll put a note in the install guide instructing everyone to inspect the bottom of the filter where it's difficult to see post install and if contacting to push the filter element up in that area slightly.

Last edited by Jon@BMS; 02-24-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
If you are unable to space it by positioning then push the filter element/pleat up 1/4" in the area where you are contacting. Should only take you a few seconds. If enough of you are encountering this issue we'll put a note in the install guide instructing everyone to inspect the bottom of the filter where it's difficult to see post install and if contacting to push the filter element up in that area slightly.
I encountered the rubbing issue as well and I followed the directions to the letter.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
I encountered the rubbing issue as well and I followed the directions to the letter.
Well as you can see from Terry's responses, BMS doesn't think it's a design issue. Look into either getting a smaller filter, DIY some sort of rubber cover over the plastic where the filter rubs or revert back to stock. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 AM

2012 c250 Coupe
Anyone have luck with re-positioning filter or using a different filter?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
I've not only repositioned but also tried to create some sort of buffer between the filter element and the airbox, still rubs. I know because I rotated the filter around to avoid continuous rubbing to the original area on the filter and now have a new spot that's started rubbing. I'm going to head to my local shop hopefully this weekend and see if I can find a different size filter.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 CGI
I've not only repositioned but also tried to create some sort of buffer between the filter element and the airbox, still rubs. I know because I rotated the filter around to avoid continuous rubbing to the original area on the filter and now have a new spot that's started rubbing. I'm going to head to my local shop hopefully this weekend and see if I can find a different size filter.
Would it be enough gap if we just flatten the 'touch' area?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Flatten how? Are you talking about the filter or the airbox? If you're talking about the airbox then that area that rubs the filter is already flat. Short of cutting that part of (which might affect the use of the stock box if you ever revert) then you need to DIY some sort of buffer or change to a smaller filter.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 AM

2012 c250 Coupe
Flatten how?
Push in with your fingers on the part of the filter that is rubbing. I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by Kevin82; 03-20-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 CGI
Originally Posted by Kevin82
Push in with your fingers on the part the filter that is rubbing. I haven't tried it yet.
Exactly!

I've not gotten my intake yet and will try that method out once it arrives. Wondering how often should I check to ensure there's no rubbing occur?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
I'm not sure if it's possible or even safe to do. Reason being that I'm wondering if the metal mesh being pushed in might possibly tear the filter fabric. In any case, let us know how it goes, I'm still planning on hitting my local shop to see if they stock another filter option.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 AM
J__

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C200 CGI
I checked mine today and same thing, rubbed through the filter. I have a different rub point as well, on the right hand side where the fins are in the bottom half of the filter box. It's rubbing there as well but not through yet.

the other rub point:

dust:

only been 3000km since install. Tried adjusting and rotating the angle but not much room to rotate. because of the engine cover.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c250 BMS Intake rubbing issues