C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Need some help with sprint booster

Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C350
Need some help with sprint booster

Hey guys and gals. I recently bought a sprint booster and I have not installed it yet. Upon further inspection I had ordered the manual transmission sprint booster and not the auto. Is there any difference if all it does is reduce lag time between the pedal and transmission?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
If you are a vet I salute you, you just need better top bosses.

Sprint booster is an easy search item.

DO NOT use the manual SB in an auto trans. Get the right one for your car.

Some people don't like the concept, fewer people actually tried it and did not like it.

It will not improve hp, or 0-60 times, or 1/4 mile times. Most find that it improves the response between pushing the pedal and how much the throttle opens.

Check out Fig 1 & 3 in this study of a SB on an old MB:

SprintBooster White Paper Technical Analysis

Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350
You have to use the automatic version, manual won't work apparently. I love my Sprint Booster on my manual car. Way more throttle response. It's not any faster but it feels like it is
Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 PM

'08 C350
Originally Posted by kevink2
If you are a vet I salute you, you just need better top bosses.

Sprint booster is an easy search item.

DO NOT use the manual SB in an auto trans. Get the right one for your car.

Some people don't like the concept, fewer people actually tried it and did not like it.

It will not improve hp, or 0-60 times, or 1/4 mile times. Most find that it improves the response between pushing the pedal and how much the throttle opens.

Check out Fig 1 & 3 in this study of a SB on an old MB:

SprintBooster White Paper Technical Analysis

Lol. I am a veteran and I appericate your support. Thanks for the reply and help. I'm aware that the SB will not help with increasing power or anything. I just want something to reduce the lag and make it a bit more enjoyable without an ECU upgrade. I will be returning the SB for the corrent one.

I don't know too much about Mercedes so can you or anyone help me understand what the difference is between the auto and manual transmissions besides one being manual and the other an auto. Do they have different softwares? I'm not following because the SB's main intent is to reduce lag by modifying the signal from the pedal to the ECU. So why wouldn't it be interchangable?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by ktran350
Lol. I am a veteran and I appericate your support. Thanks for the reply and help. I'm aware that the SB will not help with increasing power or anything. I just want something to reduce the lag and make it a bit more enjoyable without an ECU upgrade. I will be returning the SB for the corrent one.

I don't know too much about Mercedes so can you or anyone help me understand what the difference is between the auto and manual transmissions besides one being manual and the other an auto. Do they have different softwares? I'm not following because the SB's main intent is to reduce lag by modifying the signal from the pedal to the ECU. So why wouldn't it be interchangable?
I would assume it would have something to do with the "kickdown" switch....just guessing though.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:12 PM

'08 C350
Originally Posted by C300Sport
I would assume it would have something to do with the "kickdown" switch....just guessing though.
What's a "kickdown switch"?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
What's a "kickdown switch"?

The kickdown switch is only present with an automatic trans. Why haven't you sent the thing back for the correct version?

Oh wait.. you bought this on Ebay I'll bet...while knowing nothing.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 AM

'08 C350
Originally Posted by RLE
The kickdown switch is only present with an automatic trans. Why haven't you sent the thing back for the correct version?

Oh wait.. you bought this on Ebay I'll bet...while knowing nothing.
I only notice this mistake today and it is being mailed out tomorrow for the correct version. I had questions on why it would not be interchangeable between manual and the automatic transmission. However, thanks for telling what a kick down switch is. On a side note I did not buy this from eBay. Not everyone buy everything off eBay. Why all the hostilities? Just asked a honest question.

Last edited by ktran350; 03-21-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
.... On a side note I did not buy this from eBay. Not everyone buy everything off eBay. Why all the hostilities? Just asked a honest question.
I think RLE had a bad day, as there was no basis for those accusations.

On the automatics, there is no kick down switch, just the ecu for the engine, tcu for trans, and tps for reading the throttle position, and a pedal position sensor. When he said "kickdown switch" he was likey thinking of how the manual vs of the sprint booster is too aggressive for the automatic, and it would be downshifting wildly and not providing a fun ride.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM

'08 C350

On the automatics, there is no kick down switch, just the ecu for the engine, tcu for trans, and tps for reading the throttle position, and a pedal position sensor. When he said "kickdown switch" he was likey thinking of how the manual vs of the sprint booster is too aggressive for the automatic, and it would be downshifting wildly and not providing a fun ride.

That makes a bit of sense of how it wouldn't be interchangeable. Thanks I appericate your help. I've already sent out the old SB and awaiting for the correct one.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache

Yeah, RLE rolls out of the wrong side of bed from time to time but he is a pretty smart guy when it comes to MB.

The kickdown switch is located in the throttle assembly and is activated pretty close to the full throttle mark. It is used to tell the car to drop a gear or two to help acceleration. Newer transmissions are so smart and responsive that I doubt it is really needed anymore but seems like they haven't died out completely yet.
Manual cars would not use this feature although the switch itself can be "felt" clicking in my car....it just doesn't do anything.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM

'08 C350
Yeah, RLE rolls out of the wrong side of bed from time to time but he is a pretty smart guy when it comes to MB.

The kickdown switch is located in the throttle assembly and is activated pretty close to the full throttle mark. It is used to tell the car to drop a gear or two to help acceleration. Newer transmissions are so smart and responsive that I doubt it is really needed anymore but seems like they haven't died out completely yet.
Manual cars would not use this feature although the switch itself can be "felt" clicking in my car....it just doesn't do anything.
Regarding RLE I didn't take offense I was just wondering if I had said something wrong or asked a question that I shouldn't ask. Anyways. Thanks for your reply. I've always wondered what that little "clicking" notch was when pressing our pedals all the way down when I do a TCU reset.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
... The kickdown switch is located in the throttle assembly and is activated pretty close to the full throttle mark. It is used to tell the car to drop a gear or two to help acceleration. Newer transmissions are so smart and responsive that I doubt it is really needed anymore but seems like they haven't died out completely yet.
There is a zone at about 90% pedal depression where an extra, resistive spring is engaged and that last 10% of pedal travel is harder to push vs the previous 90% of travel. I think this has nothing to do with kickdown on automatics, but it may serve another function.

For the 7 spd atx, there is a "shift" map of load on the y axis, and rpm on the x axis. Then each gear has engagement and dis-engagement curve pairs, as well as TC lock up and unlock points/curves. This is far from a simple kickdown switch that was found on the old 3 speed transmissions.