C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Indie Shop Vs. Mercedes Benz Stealership.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 tsx, 09 c300
Indie Shop Vs. Mercedes Benz Stealership.

So as some of you may know i have been having transfer case issues.

to recap my sad story for those who don't :

I purchased my MB about two months ago, my warranty expired and was offered a 5k MB extension which i denied (i messed up on that part.) Since i declined the warranty, I had the car checked out when getting my service done, and dealership told me that i had a small leak in my transfer case as well as my vacuum pump.. total price to fix $1750 plus trans service ~$300 so about 2k total.

I took it to a indie shop to get a second opinion, the shop is called AutoCoutoure in Fair lawn NJ. There are amazing with excellent customer service. They strictly work on bmw/mercedes/porsche/audi pretty much anything german. There work shows that its love of the sport and hobby than just making a check, but yet again there a business. I took it in for a hour long diagnostic which involved them cleaning the bottom of my car so they can determine the level and location of the leak. Upon diagnostic they said my vacuum pump was fine, and told me that my transfer case was leaking as well as my transmission main seal. so they are charging me $1700 including a transmission service. All parts will be purchased from the MB Dealer and installed by them.

In both cases no warranty is implied. And i am getting two diffrent stories of where i have a leak, who do i trust?

What would you do? & WHY? i didn't mark it as a poll because i want to know your reasoning to what you picked.

take it to Mercedes Benz ?

take it to AutoCoutoure ?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
I am trying to decide whether or not to extend my warranty right now as well - they want 6k - I'm debating whether or not it will be a mess up to decline. :s

I just had my transmission seal fixed as well as a couple other things. Luckily it was on the tail end of my current warranty so I did have it fixed at the dealership. They had some other things which I knew my Indy could handle just as well if not better - such as a flush and spark plugs, so I told the dealership not to touch that. I will always trust my Indy more than a dealership, but then I've been taking my car to them for years.

If I was in your situation I would find another dealership and take it to them for a diagnostic - I spent a while combing online reviews and ended up driving two hours to the top rated dealership in my area for my last fix - imo it's worth it, these cars are big babies and have to be treated as such I feel.

I think you need another opinion to try to get some consensus. If it was me I would probably find another good Indy too just in case. In the end after you've pin-pointed the issue - if your indy says he can do it and its considerably cheaper I'd go with that. If it's the same-ish price then I might go with the dealership just to have it on record that it was serviced there.

Good luck to you & I hope you can get everything worked out
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 AM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
When I bought my 09 with 47k miles from a non MB dealership I bought a third party powertrain warranty 4yrs/60k just for a peace of mind. there's an indy shop around my area who only service mb and bmw, German Auto in Edison NJ, I've read good reviews of the shop and owner from BMW forums and Yelp. if you feel going for a ride maybe reach out to them and see what they say.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 AM

07 tsx, 09 c300
Originally Posted by Adarah
I am trying to decide whether or not to extend my warranty right now as well - they want 6k - I'm debating whether or not it will be a mess up to decline. :s

I just had my transmission seal fixed as well as a couple other things. Luckily it was on the tail end of my current warranty so I did have it fixed at the dealership. They had some other things which I knew my Indy could handle just as well if not better - such as a flush and spark plugs, so I told the dealership not to touch that. I will always trust my Indy more than a dealership, but then I've been taking my car to them for years.

If I was in your situation I would find another dealership and take it to them for a diagnostic - I spent a while combing online reviews and ended up driving two hours to the top rated dealership in my area for my last fix - imo it's worth it, these cars are big babies and have to be treated as such I feel.

I think you need another opinion to try to get some consensus. If it was me I would probably find another good Indy too just in case. In the end after you've pin-pointed the issue - if your indy says he can do it and its considerably cheaper I'd go with that. If it's the same-ish price then I might go with the dealership just to have it on record that it was serviced there.

Good luck to you & I hope you can get everything worked out
my only thing is i got quoted two diffrent parts thats what threw everything off track. i am going to check out the other spot in edison to get a third look and voice and hopefully i can get this resolved soon
Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 AM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
The shop is in rt 27 right across walmart. Let us know what they say.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 AM

07 tsx, 09 c300
Originally Posted by nismosr
The shop is in rt 27 right across walmart. Let us know what they say.
I will, thank you. I was planning on going tommorw - do you know if they do diagnostics/estimates on an appointment only basis or walk in's are accepeted?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 AM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
I'm not sure best to call them 732-287-8959 German Car Shop.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 PM

07 tsx, 09 c300
So I went to a independent shop that dose both german and japense cars. He told me that the leak is so minor that it dosent even have to be fixed. He said that the leak will not cause anything breaking and its not too big of a deal. He said that the vaccum pump is 100% aswell where as the dealer said it was leaking a lot. Should i stick to this? or be leary?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
The dealer is held to standards by MB. They also have a reputation to keep.

Indys have self pride you hope.

When Indys screw up cars ( happens more than you want to think) to fix it right they bring it to dealer. When they can't figure it out, they bring it to dealer. When they get in over there heads they bring it to dealer in pieces.

Not slamming Indys there are many that mean well.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 AM

CLK 320
Ok - for the transmission seal - mine was the same way - leaking only just a tiny bit. My Indy said the same thing - that it wasn't something urgent and I could wait on fixing it as it wasn't really "hurting" anything, but they also advised me when I did fix it, to have that trans main seal fixed at a dealership, as I think to get at it you have to remove part or all of the transmission, and they seemed to think dealerships were best equipped to handle that. I drove the car for a year with it leaking just a bit like that - i know i know - but I had no problem with it. I do think it made the car ride rougher, as now that it's fixed it rides like silk again.

As for the vac pump - I have no idea, you may want to get yet another opinion as much trouble as it may be.

As for Indy mechanics being well intentioned -- my guys are so honest and forthcoming - which I'm so appreciative of. They will tell me if they can't do it, and have said to me several times after diagnostic that it should go to the dealer to be fixed. But I go into the dealership confident and with knowledge in hand, which makes me feel more secure that I won't get pushed around or taken advantage of. And there are so many things which I know my Indy does just as well if not better than the dealership.

Lastly - I always leave the dealership feeling like they are not telling me everything or I feel cut out of the repair process, my Indy would take me in the back and show me exactly what they were doing if I asked. The last time I was at the dealership I couldn't even get them to give me copies of all my paperwork! I asked twice for "all the pages" from first the estimate and then the final bill which was itemized with all the services needed and performed - both times they left out pages, on purpose, and I know the guy heard me because he repeated my request back to me before he left to make copies... I mean WTF is that? I hate feeling like they are being shady and not forthcoming.

Anyway - I don't want to lead you astray on fixing the main seal, as I have no idea how bad yours really is, and since you haven't had any kind of real consensus - I would recommend taking it somewhere else.

Sometimes life is just a wild goose chase ...
Old 06-08-2013, 12:13 AM

07 tsx, 09 c300
Originally Posted by Adarah
Ok - for the transmission seal - mine was the same way - leaking only just a tiny bit. My Indy said the same thing - that it wasn't something urgent and I could wait on fixing it as it wasn't really "hurting" anything, but they also advised me when I did fix it, to have that trans main seal fixed at a dealership, as I think to get at it you have to remove part or all of the transmission, and they seemed to think dealerships were best equipped to handle that. I drove the car for a year with it leaking just a bit like that - i know i know - but I had no problem with it. I do think it made the car ride rougher, as now that it's fixed it rides like silk again.

As for the vac pump - I have no idea, you may want to get yet another opinion as much trouble as it may be.

As for Indy mechanics being well intentioned -- my guys are so honest and forthcoming - which I'm so appreciative of. They will tell me if they can't do it, and have said to me several times after diagnostic that it should go to the dealer to be fixed. But I go into the dealership confident and with knowledge in hand, which makes me feel more secure that I won't get pushed around or taken advantage of. And there are so many things which I know my Indy does just as well if not better than the dealership.

Lastly - I always leave the dealership feeling like they are not telling me everything or I feel cut out of the repair process, my Indy would take me in the back and show me exactly what they were doing if I asked. The last time I was at the dealership I couldn't even get them to give me copies of all my paperwork! I asked twice for "all the pages" from first the estimate and then the final bill which was itemized with all the services needed and performed - both times they left out pages, on purpose, and I know the guy heard me because he repeated my request back to me before he left to make copies... I mean WTF is that? I hate feeling like they are being shady and not forthcoming.

Anyway - I don't want to lead you astray on fixing the main seal, as I have no idea how bad yours really is, and since you haven't had any kind of real consensus - I would recommend taking it somewhere else.

Sometimes life is just a wild goose chase ...
I like your quote "sometimes life is just a wild goose chase."

My thing was that NO ONE besides the dealer told me the vacuum pump was messed up, so thats what really caught my attention. I think i am going to the german shop in edison that was recommended by a prior person on this thread when i have chance - managing a retail store is hard finding time to do anything as i am posting this at 12:12 am lol. how much did it cost you when you went to fix it? and what made you cave in after a year riding like that, did it leak more? or you just wanted to do it precautionary?
Old 06-08-2013, 01:34 AM

CLK 320
Hahaha thanks sometimes it really feels like that. And I understand what you mean being so busy - it sucks. I have spent the last three weeks doting on the car because I haven't had the time in the last six months or so to get to anything.

It mainly had to do with my extended warranty running out - it's soon to expire unfortunately. I took the car for one of their full diagnostics at the dealership as a precautionary measure before it ran out where they do a total inspection - which cost me $125. They found that seal which I already knew about, with an estimate of $1318.15, then they said my front strut had to be replaced for $534.85, and my trans pan gasket as well for $417.06, along with multiple little things like spark plugs and a fuel injection service which were not covered under warranty and I told them not to touch for another $1000. The initial estimate was a bit over $2000 for all the warranty work which was thankfully covered after my deductible + the cost of the initial inspection, so I ended up paying about $300. I went back to my Indy before they did the work and talked to them and they said that they hadn't seen those to be having issue but that if it was covered to let them do it. Nothing really changed in the year that it was that way because I had the oil changed and the car's regular service right before it went to the dealership for that inspection, and I know they would have told me.

I think dealerships are just looking for any little thing - idk. I would take the car to the place @nismosr suggested too if I were you.

These cars ... It's just the nature of the beast, but I love them!