S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Deal is dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2024, 02:47 PM

Location: Bucks County PA not far from the Delaware River North & East of Philly by an hour.
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
‘68 Pontiac convertible, ‘71 Corvette 4 spd, ‘20 Accord Touring, 06 Duramax crew-c
Deal is dead

I finally received a cost breakdown and I wasn’t happy being nickel and dimmed so much. First they want a detailing fee for $629 (it wasn’t even done yet). They add on $1295 if I don’t use their financing (even if I used Capital One through their website). They want $7 per tire fee (I didn’t ask why). My credit union will give me 5.99% while the best rate from the dealer is 9.9%. There is a doc prep fee of $800 (last week and on the internet it’s $700). They want $92 for loan doc fees and $40 to file a loan/title hold. They raised the price up $307 calling it a “Market conditions adjustment.” I’m glad there wasn’t a trade in because they charge more fees for that!

I realized these cars are a cornucopia of costs that never ends, but this car - even though it’s priced less than normal I’m not bitting!

Rich
The following 3 users liked this post by MrMischief:
Nice Ride (08-31-2024), OldManAndHisCar (09-01-2024), Robb92914 (09-01-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 03:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,979 Likes on 3,128 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Car dealers are scum. This is simply the most recent example. Sadly for all involved. Shame things aren’t different.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
MrMischief (09-01-2024), Nice Ride (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 580 Likes on 424 Posts
222 S-65
OP I assume you are negotiating a deal to purchase a car.

Rule #1.... Everything is negotiable. Price, terms, costs.... Everything.

Don’t like the deal they have inked? Negotiate a deal that works for you or WALK AWAY.

There are lots of cars out there. If they tell you to pound sand... shop elsewhere. You owe them nothing.

Last edited by JohnLane; 08-31-2024 at 05:10 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JohnLane:
C Swenson (09-01-2024), carlosinseattle (08-31-2024), MrMischief (08-31-2024), Nice Ride (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 352 Likes on 262 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
What a lot of nonsense. What I started doing is just add up all the bs charges and reduce the offer price by the same amount. Some dealers don't let the salespeople negotiate away bs charges ("sorry sir, but the detailing's already been done"), but they may lower the price of the car so the total is what you're willing to pay.
Old 08-31-2024, 10:29 PM

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by JohnLane
OP I assume you are negotiating a deal to purchase a car.

Rule #1.... Everything is negotiable. Price, terms, costs.... Everything.
Don’t like the deal they have inked? Negotiate a deal that works for you or WALK AWAY.
There are lots of cars out there. If they tell you to pound sand... shop elsewhere. You owe them nothing.
In any negotiation, the party that is willing/able to walk away from the deal wins.
The following users liked this post:
MrMischief (09-01-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 10:33 PM
VII

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
Yes always go for out the door because the **** they make up these days is unbelievable.
And yes run from those that pretend they have a good price buy it's actually a scam like that.

Old 09-01-2024, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,014 Likes on 774 Posts
G550
Many dealers still think it's 2021. Dealer lots are stockpiled with excess inventory that isn't moving at current financing rates. Get up and walk out.
MrMischief (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 580 Likes on 424 Posts
222 S-65
Worth noting.... If you are there they know you are interested.

Some refer to it as ‘Having a fish on the line.’ They can’t ‘get you in the boat’ if you leave.

No dealership wants to have a big profit margin negotiated away. But they will to close a sale.

They count on your wanting the car enough to get violated. Cars are NOT moving like they did from 2020-2022. Especially big $$$ cars.

Big $$$ cars are depreciating quickly. There is not a 222 chassis car that is an exception.

As the economy continues to fail we will see a buyers market. This will be great for those of us with money to buy.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnLane:
carlosinseattle (09-01-2024), MrMischief (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,014 Likes on 774 Posts
G550
And dealers make most of their profit in their service departments. Selling a car means a future stream of profits for them. They're willing to compromise to close a sale much more than they ever want to reveal.
So ask a lot of questions about how to schedule service and they kinds of stuff they offer, like tires, windshields, alignments, etc.
Old 09-01-2024, 12:14 PM

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600
Can you provide the details on the car? VIN, miles, etc. What’s the full OTD cash price? The way they structure their fees are bogus, but you still may have a great overall deal.

This sounds like an off brand store. Are you buying from a Mercedes dealer?
Old 09-01-2024, 03:58 PM

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
MY 18 S450V RWD Diamond White
Mr. M, reads like you dodged a bullet. Good for you. Lots of 222’s sitting on lots or garages. Good luck in your hunt.
carlosinseattle (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 06:18 PM

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
As stated you gave no other details for us to know what your buying, who your buying from etc. When I bought my car from MB dealership they detailed the car, no way you take a dirty car and if you still want skip. And if this is really a great deal just go to your bank and get a check and deal is done without them trying to get any extra fees. Or as stated this is not a rare model walk away.
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

Location: Bucks County PA not far from the Delaware River North & East of Philly by an hour.
‘68 Pontiac convertible, ‘71 Corvette 4 spd, ‘20 Accord Touring, 06 Duramax crew-c
Originally Posted by badq45t
As stated you gave no other details for us to know what your buying, who your buying from etc. When I bought my car from MB dealership they detailed the car, no way you take a dirty car and if you still want skip. And if this is really a great deal just go to your bank and get a check and deal is done without them trying to get any extra fees. Or as stated this is not a rare model walk away.
Ok, fair observation. I found a 2019 with pros and cons about it. The price isn’t bad for an AMG S63, in fact - as I have looked at about 42 of these on line at 31 dealers and with various amount of miles, I figure this car is about $10,000 under priced presently. Price doesn’t sway me if this car wasn’t properly cared for and how can I conclude that? The Carfax and the VMI doesn’t show the required maintenance as you would expect to see. The dealer obtained this car at auction and has no idea of condition (at least not that they would say) other than a sketchy CarFax.

The salesman said the car was washed. They typically wait and see what the buyer (finds) and negotiates what he or she wants done as the dealer doesn’t want to put money into an unsold car. I held off on a PPI because the dealer wants to be paid to deliver the car to any inspection shop and the one that does an inspection in the parking lot just takes the car for a drive, plugs in their fault code reader and “Looks” around, in and outside the car. By request they will test the paint thickness at obvious spots around the car. I can get that dealer to check for codes, I can test drive and I have a paint meter. At one point I thought that an extended warranty would protect me if I took a chance.
I have certain principles and I’m not giving them $1,300 if I don’t get my loan through them, same goes for paying for them to touch up stone chips and buff out some scratches - that should be on them to present their best foot forward.

I can offer further explanations, but this should do. I’m searching for a well optioned car in great condition, under 50k miles at a fair price. With a carfax and inspection showing the car was maintained and cared for in the manor in which the manufacture recommends. If there was an accident reported I will accept only minor damage that has been repaired to be undetectable.

My draw to this car I’ve been taking about? It has all the most sought after options including all but refrigerator and entertainment system for the rear, in common terms - I’m searching for the most bang for the buck without all the chicanery that some dealers play.

Last edited by MrMischief; Yesterday at 09:51 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 386 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
The reason the car is 10K under value is because of all the things you state. Unknown service, etc. You are not going to find a pristine, freshly detailed car with all the options at a bargain price. People know what they have, and a properly sorted 2018-2021 S63 with lower miles and all the options are very hard to find because they did not make a lot of them and they made even fewer with all the groceries. You gotta pay to play. And if you are financing the car, I would definitely get a warranty for the period of time that you plan on owning it. Normally I am not a fan if warranties but this car is very complex, and very expensive to fix if something goes wrong. I do all my own simple maintenance like oil changes and brakes because that stuff is easy to do, but the maintenance is still expensive, as is insurance because of the cost to repair. Just know what you are getting into.
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
If this was a regular S560 I would think about doing this with an extended warranty, but if you look at the required maintenace for a AMG that may explain why the PO decided not to do it. If you think that a regular one is expensive check the book on AMG. I would pass on this one, given the dealerships is not very interested in helping you out and you have no idea what you're getting into.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM

Ok, get a drink and have a seat, I’ve got a good story to share!

Almost 2 weeks ago my searches lead to a 2019 AMG S62 in Ruby Black. The miles are well above my comfort level but as it was pointed out, don’t get hung up on just the mileage. I contacted the dealer (which is 90 miles away) in Englewood, NJ - literally a stone’s throw away at the foot of the GW bridge into New York city. Englewood is a real hard core definition of a city. I must have passed every brand of auto on the way, each one crammed onto non conforming - inefficiently developed lots that leave you to park out on the street. I walked into this small, one vehicle showroom so crowded, I thought maybe they were handing out free plantains or churros. There must have been more than 20 salesmen all busy, I’m glad I can speak Spanish, it proved handy today.
I was there to test drive and look this car over. I wasn’t quite sure I would like the Ruby Black but it looks better in person than the photos on the internet. After the drive I returned to ask questions, maybe even buy this car. I brought out my concerns and asked what they can do about their price ($63,518 which was $63,229 when I gave this dealer a deposit). The salesman said he will talk to the sales manager and be right back. Ten minutes later he returned and takes out a piece of paper and writes down $63,518 plus $4,995 and $1,595 for a sub-total of $70,108.
“Wait, what’s this $4995 and $1595 (plus tax, tags and other fees) I asked?” Well it costs us to have all these cars here, wash and make presentable to those wanting cars, it’s our PO program. Every dealer has these costs, the Lexus dealer down the street charges even more - 2% on top. I told him 2% on an $80K Lexus is a lot less than $5 grand here!
So what is the $1,595? That’s miscellaneous charges that cover the 6 month warranty we give you. Plus there is $1,295 added if I don’t use their loans. The salesman tells me because we are an Infiniti dealer and you’re buying Mercedes, the interest is going to be a little higher - 12.9%! That’s high! I told him my credit is excellent and my credit union is 5.9% and likely to become even lower yet.
This guy is telling me the internet price is well below market and with these fees it’s still a good price. I reminded him there was no mention of this in his texts and phone conversations with me. I had asked him for a proposal for an Agreement to Purchase this car last week. I need it for the bank so they can give me the funds to cover the purchase - it never happened.

This place reminds me of another dealer years ago that advertised they finance everybody no matter how bad their credit is. They collect these crazy fees from people that can’t afford to pay for a car for 80 months without having it repossessed and the dealer does this over and over each time taking the car back within a couple weeks being late.
Check out the figures they quoted me, see the car in their website. By the way, that $1,595 for the 6 month warranty - it’s only good when I bring the car back to that place 90 miles from me.
They told me they had 2 sets of keys, the salesman let it slip they have only one key.

I won’t be buying this car anytime soon!

https://www.infinitiofenglewood.com/...g8jb8ka436822/

This is Ruby Black on that 2019 S63

Last edited by MrMischief; Yesterday at 10:26 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 228 Posts
S600
Since you have seen "their price" schedule, take it home and mark off the items you are unwilling to "buy", re-sum the deal; return and offer them that price as a take it or pound sand offer.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
Since you have seen "their price" schedule, take it home and mark off the items you are unwilling to "buy", re-sum the deal; return and offer them that price as a take it or pound sand offer.
Truth be told I would have paid their advertised internet price if they stood their ground, but they had to bait and switch me. I think they have this trick for all their used cars. I believe this is called Predatory selling and lending. If they want to charge me 12.9%, what do they pull on people that have poor or bad credit?

It’s a shame, I’m getting tired of searching - I hope they give me back my deposit. It’s on a credit card so I’m not really worried.

Last edited by MrMischief; Yesterday at 10:36 PM. Reason: ‘
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 719 Likes on 533 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by MrMischief
Truth be told I would have paid their advertised internet price if they stood their ground, but they had to bait and switch me. I think they have this trick for all their used cars. I believe this is called Predatory selling and lending. If they want to charge me 12.9%, what do they pull on people that have poor or bad credit?

It’s a shame, I’m getting tired of searching - I hope they give me back my deposit. It’s on a credit card so I’m not really worried.
The gap in the carfax reporting didn't worry you? Sure there's a chance that they wrenched service A and B themselves but I feel like that's a very small percentage for this type of car.

Last edited by wildta; Yesterday at 11:08 PM.
Old Today, 12:25 AM

The PO may have had an INDY shop do work I recently discovered that not every Indy shop is setup to enter their repairs into the VMI or the carfax. The other scenario I dare not think about.