C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Sport Mode and Shocks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Sport Mode and Shocks?

When I push the button on my 2012 C350 Sport to put it in sport mode, or whatever MB calls it, does that change the shock absorber settings? The ride seems to feel different but maybe I'm delusional.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 PM

2013 GLK 350 4matic
I still have no idea what that button does lol... but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the shock absorber settings. I'm running some supersports so there's not noticeable difference for me.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:47 PM

None
Originally Posted by MFDONTRON
I still have no idea what that button does lol... but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the shock absorber settings. I'm running some supersports so there's not noticeable difference for me.
Good one, Dontron! Supersports.....low profile? Like 40-ish? Mine came with low profiles and AMG wheels, and the combination is a bit on the stiff side. Can't remember the exact specs on the tires at the moment.

Anyone know what the magic button does with the suspension? I know it changes the shift characteristics very noticeably on the 7 spd automatic, which I like.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C300 sport
Don't think it does anything to shock settings, just the trans shift points. Sport models have stiffer shocks than luxury from factory.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by Go Navy
When I push the button on my 2012 C350 Sport to put it in sport mode, or whatever MB calls it, does that change the shock absorber settings? The ride seems to feel different but maybe I'm delusional.

Does your button look like this?

If so, then yes it does. Or at least it's supposed to. I can definitely feel a difference between on and off with mine.

You can also open up your hood to see if an electrical connection to the top of each of the front shock absorbers exist.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:30 PM

None
Edgalang: I can't tell, from your picture, what button you're referring to in the picture. What I can see in your picture looks identical to my 2012 C350. On mine, there's a button on the driver's side of the shift console, towards the rear of the console; I'm not looking at it right now, but I think it has this cryptic label: "Ec-Sp" or something like that.

Thanks for the under the hood tip. I'll check that out. It's amazing how tech these cars are.

Last edited by Go Navy; 07-13-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:00 AM

Edgalang: I can't tell, from your picture, what button you're referring to in the picture. What I can see in your picture looks identical to my 2012 C350. On mine, there's a button on the driver's side of the shift console, towards the rear of the console; I'm not looking at it right now, but I think it has this cryptic label: "Ec-Sp" or something like that.

Thanks for the under the hood tip. I'll check that out. It's amazing how tech these cars are.

The button in question is directly to the right of the driver side heated seat button. I believe anything located on the shift console may be exactly what everyone else is suggesting, in that it'll only affect your transmission shift points. For me, the button you describe only changes automatic to manual mode. In order for me to go to regular vs sport mode requires the button I'm referring to: which changes the shock dampening, steering effort, throttle response and transmission shift points.

I forget if you are the original owner. If you were, you would know because this is a 1.5k special order line item that generally doesn't come standard to the US market.

EDIT: Just ran across your first post and you stated you were the 2nd owner. In that case CONGRATS! If you do have the dynamic handling package as I mentioned, you are lucky, since that is not a feature that you would normally find in a Mercedes lot. Usually ANY special order requests (line items marked with "SPC") come directly from the factory ordered specifically for an intended buyer.

Last edited by edgalang; 07-14-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:14 AM

None
Sorry.....didn't spot that button in your picture until you pointed it out. Very cool.

No, my C350 does not have it. Instead, in line with, and at the rear/end of the P N R D markers on the shift console (7-speed automatic) is a button marked "E-S". It toggles the driver between Economy and Sport modes. It definitely affects the shift points, and maybe the lag time when shifting. I'm referring not to manual shifting but leaving it in D, or automatic.

You can shift it manually by manipulating the shift lever left and right in either E or S modes.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:37 AM

2012 C200 AMG package
Sorry.....didn't spot that button in your picture until you pointed it out. Very cool.

No, my C350 does not have it. Instead, in line with, and at the rear/end of the P N R D markers on the shift console (7-speed automatic) is a button marked "E-S". It toggles the driver between Economy and Sport modes. It definitely affects the shift points, and maybe the lag time when shifting. I'm referring not to manual shifting but leaving it in D, or automatic.

You can shift it manually by manipulating the shift lever left and right in either E or S modes.
I've got a button in the same position as yours but with E,S,M written on it, M is for manual, although I could also shift manually wherever I want with paddles.
However, when I engaged sport mode, I felt the shocks noticeably firmer...

Last edited by macolam1123; 07-14-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 PM

None
I've attached a picture of the E-S button on my 2012 C350, which I bought used, so I didn't spec anything on this car. It does feel like the shocks respond differently when in "S" mode. I'll have to do some reading in the manual about this. Some of the streets are so bad here in the Bay Area that it's hard to tell.

Macolam, notice the + and - signs on either side of the D. That's how you shift this model manually, whether in E or S mode. I like it because you don't have to look down at it; it becomes second nature. The amount of resistance in the shift lever is just right.
Attached Thumbnails Sport Mode and Shocks?-img_0369.jpg  

Last edited by Go Navy; 07-14-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 PM

2012 C200 AMG package
I got paddle shifters on my steering wheel and I find them quite nice to use, not used to the way you shift as I came from jdm which doesn't offer such way to shift (usually in a similar fashion as sequential box )
I think it's mainly due to our own habits .
Old 07-14-2013, 01:26 PM

If you have the dynamic handling package, what you should see is the combination of buttons below.

Once you turn on sports mode there is no "guessing"...you will clearly know when it is on.

Go Navy: Where in the Bay Area do you live?

A good test is to go on the 92 San Mateo Bridge (7 miles of straight road with expansion joints). With Sports mode OFF, you can cruise with the back of your head resting on the headrest. With Sports mode ON, you cannot as doing so is essentially asking for a headache.

AND/OR pop open your hood. Does the top of each strut tower look like this?

I may be wrong, but I believe part # (a005 542 1218) is the electrical connection for each unit.

Last edited by edgalang; 07-14-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM

None
Edgalang: no such electrical connectors on top of my struts in the front. That must mean that the shocks don't adjust when I punch into sport mode. Thanks for the info. I live in the East Bay area, but have driven the San Mateo bridge a few times, although not since I acquired the C350. I'll try to keep that test in mind.

Macolam: I actually prefer paddle shifters; had them on my '06 Acura RL, which got traded in as part of the purchase of the C350.