C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 calcite white rear bumper respray

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013 | 08:25 AM

C200
W204 calcite white rear bumper respray

Good day from Australia. New to the forum and interested in getting some opinions on whether to get the rear bumper re-sprayed.

Dealer scratched up my rear bumper during a recent service. The scratch is roughly 2 inches long and has gone thru the paint. Dealer tried to polish it out but still left a mark behind, not very noticeable unless looking from close distance (30 cm). They are now offering to get the whole bumper re-sprayed at an MB authorized body repair shop.

Do you guys think I should get the rear bumper re-sprayed? Will that affect its resale value? I'm worried because it may be difficult to match the color 100%.

The car is a 2011 built and is in immaculate condition. No scratch no dent elsewhere. I am pretty pissed at them for what they did but unsure whether the solution they are offering me is an appropriate one. Let me know what you think! Many thanks!

Last edited by W204OZ; 07-28-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2013 | 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Respray, if the color is off they have to do it again.

A skilled painter will get it right the first time.
Old 07-28-2013 | 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
When I sent my calcite white 2010 C300 to my MB dealer to get a rear quarter panel repaired that had been bashed in by a careless trucker, they actually invested in a special unit that MB recommends to paint the ceramic-based white paint and then do the clearcoat.

The repair was flawless. Compare this to OP's dealer service which damages customer's cars instead of care meticulously for them.

Have the entire bumper painted. Insist on an exact match. It can be measured with a true colorimeter and the "Delta E" should measure "3" or less against the body paint (A Delta-E of more than 3 is the threshold where the human eye can detect a difference).
Old 07-28-2013 | 05:34 PM

C200
Thank you guys for replying.

With the bumper, will they remove the whole bumper then do the respray? Or will they leave it on the car? My car has the factory parktronic sensors.

Does MB use ceramic clear on the bumpers? I'm worried about how it will match when it's next to the side panels and trunk lid.

Last edited by W204OZ; 07-28-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2013 | 05:45 PM

2010 Calcite C300 with AMG Sports Package
Ask the dealer to send your vehicle to Perfect Autobody at Alexandria. They are an authorised MB smash repairer in Sydney. That is if you live in Sydney. If else where google an authorised MB smash repairer for the state you live in. When I had some clown 'nail' me in the rear quarter, thats where I took it. My previous car was as MB called it 'Green Black' a metallic colour and they matched it 100%. No issues at all.
Old 08-12-2013 | 04:12 AM

C200
Unfortunately, I don't live in Sydney. I am in Canberra. The dealer is not willing to consider panel shops interstate. They asked me to take it to Tony Farrugia, which is an authorised MB panel shop here in Canberra.

However, the workshop manager there told me that they cannot replicate the factory paint. He told me if it were his car he would not be respraying as their paint is softer than the factory paint. He said that their equipment and the procedures used cannot produce paint that is of similar quality to factory paint.

Is this true? I always thought authorised panel shops can replicate factory paint finishes and texture, but I can be wrong. For a 2-inch long scratch, do you think it is worth the hassle to get it repainted? It is a 3-4 day job, and I am worried that they can screw up the car even more.

I am very upset by the Canberra dealer because they don't seem to want to repair the bumper for me. They would not confirm the paint and procedures used in the job, stating that they cannot scrutinize the body shop's choice of materials. This is absurd. I have elevated my concern/complaint to MB Australia but they don't seem to be able to do anything at all.

To those of you who live in the US. How would MB USA handle this situation if this were to happen in the US? If I choose not to respray the bumper because it can only make it worse, would it make sense to ask for other forms of compensation?
Old 08-12-2013 | 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I had my bumper removed & resprayed in Taree after a parking dingle 4 - 5 years ago. All is well. Looks great.

If you are concerned about painting the whole lot, how about investigating one of the many touch up small dingle blokes around & see what they can offer you. What have you to loose if they can do a small patch up which looks good.

John
Old 08-12-2013 | 05:30 PM

2010 Calcite C300 with AMG Sports Package
Since the dealer is willing to pay for the respray, how about considering taking it to Perfect Autobody at Alexandria. Make arrangements with the repairer prior. Establish how long the job will take and then plan around that. Get your car fixed and have a couple of days in Sydney at the same time?? Couldn't hurt.
Old 08-13-2013 | 06:11 AM

C200
Unfortunately that's not an option. Dealer will not pay for the respray to be done interstate. They have only agreed to get the respray done at the local panel shop Tony Farrugia. It's an authorised MB approved shop but I am told that the respray paint won't be as hard as factory. This really concerns me. Does this make sense to any of you?
Old 08-18-2013 | 08:04 PM

C200
Anyone?
Old 08-19-2013 | 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Its pretty much impossible to get the same factory paint as they use a special coat that hardens under UV light, you´ll need a big *** black light to make that work

Its not all that bad that your rear bumper is painted in a "standard" paint as it isnt going to be shot but rock chips and such as a front bumper would.
Also the "ceramic" paint done by Mercedes is no miracle paint and isnt that much better than any other 2K paint.