C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Latest MB tech still the SLOWEST thing going

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C250 4Matic
I have a solution here... Buy a Ferrari. Guaranteed to have a decent Tranny.. We do not drive perfect cars, so make a change if need be. Try a 335i and maybe that is the experience you are hoping for. No harm done man...
Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
I for one am tired of Acapulco's incessant complaining about the car and its tech. Particularly since all of the complaints stem from a nearly 4 year old car with a different system and capabilities that are offered today. Don't get me started on the constant complaints about the transmission.

If you hate it that much, sell it and stop complaining about it...
Old 08-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Indeed. MBUSA is not going to mess up it's CAFE homologation for one buyer in Mexico.

I'm sure a letter to Stuttgart explaining what he can't come to terms with would result in a CD with alternative software from somewhere else in the world. If this problem was as major as made out one of the tuning houses would long ago have provided alternative software.

There is no latency in the ECU or TCU that amounts to 3 seconds.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I for one am tired of Acapulco's incessant complaining about the car and its tech. Particularly since all of the complaints stem from a nearly 4 year old car with a different system and capabilities that are offered today. Don't get me started on the constant complaints about the transmission.

If you hate it that much, sell it and stop complaining about it...
From your mouth to God's ear....
Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 E350 Black 06 CLS500 Alabaster White
Originally Posted by snowmuch
I pop my hood open to show my friends what my engine looks like, they all wowed because how advanced MB engine layout is. (they owned various other brand such as e92 is350 350z r33 etc)
How does an engine layout give one a wow factor just by looking at it? Ok tell me how you wow your friends when you show then your engine layout. Let's pretend I don't know.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
i don't understand why you people complain about merc being expensive in the US... it must be the cheapest country to buy a car.
a C350 coupe costs over here 74000 euro! that is 98679 US$
you don't even want to know how much a CLS, S or AMG model cost
Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Yep! US is the cheapest place in the world to buy a Benz after Saudi Arabia.

But in Saudi there is zero tax on cars & you can have a Porsche without airbags.

Half the US Benz owners would be driving a Corolla in ROW.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Doa
i don't understand why you people complain about merc being expensive in the US... it must be the cheapest country to buy a car.
a C350 coupe costs over here 74000 euro! that is 98679 US$
you don't even want to know how much a CLS, S or AMG model cost
Psst. Some people on this board complain that MBs should be more expensive in the US.... Shhhh....
Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by dolvio
Hey bud,

Here in Canada Toyota's and Honda's are anything but cheap. Actually a fully loaded Toyota Camry is very $$ and the same for the Accord... Probably out-cost my C250... Toyota and Honda are not cheap brands in North America by any means. Hyundai and Kia or those cheaper brands. Lots of car test well under crash conditions. IMHO, my benz is safer than any Kia or Hyundai out there.
I never said cheap, I said cost less. However being that you're in Canada then I understand the price hike, however in north America, Honda and Toyota are the more affordable brands compared to Benz normally. Now, things might be different then say 4 years ago when I was last there in terms of affordability since Benz is working on broadening their customer base. In any case, you feel safe in your Benz and that's good for you.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Yep! US is the cheapest place in the world to buy a Benz after Saudi Arabia.

Are the US MB built to the same standard of excellence as ROW or are some aspects of lower quality ?

The way some of the folk on this forum treat their MB regarding their driving habits & modifications make me think that MB might just export a lower quality vehicle to the USA.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Not lower quality but trimming does take place to meet sticker price. e.g an SA Benz would have a brake wear indicator on every wheel while a US car will have one on the LH front wheel only etc. & a "standard" car in SA would have more options fitted & leather.

We can tick the options box here whereas MBUSA works with packages. Tuscaloosa built models like the ML allow more freedom.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by Carsy
Are the US MB built to the same standard of excellence as ROW or are some aspects of lower quality ?

The way some of the folk on this forum treat their MB regarding their driving habits & modifications make me think that MB might just export a lower quality vehicle to the USA.
This whole post is rather offensive, to say the least...

What does the supposed quality have to do how people treat or modify their vehicle (this coming from someone with a stock W204)?

The cars come down the same lines as cars that go to the ROW. The fact that this question even came up is preposterous...
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
I don't have a problem with the tech in my Benz. Of course, I bought it because I want a CAR, not an iPad. I've noticed that the lower-end makes are forced to sell on tech because the cars themselves are disposable. I see plenty of 30 year Benz on the road. Not so with the tech-happy brands like Kia or Toyota.

It's definitely just a cultural difference. Asian areas and some U.S. areas are into tech, not cars. Read the studies...some kids don't get their drivers license anymore! I was at the DMV the night before I turned 16, lol. But they LIVE for digital tech stuff.

I will always take the superior vehicle for my needs over anything else. Standard tech is fine...but it will never be a factor in my buying decision. What could I need other than Bluetooth and an optional NAV system anyway? I guess that's the thing about being an old Gen X guy. I have money now.....I don't mind paying for tech options if I want them on my Euro cars (and it's nice to NOT have the tech stuff if I don't want it). YES, a Ford or Kia has more cheap tech standard....but all the tech in the world doesn't make a car feel stable and steady at 80mph on crappy U.S. roads.

I canceled MBRACE the day after I bought the car. I have an iPad....why do I need to pay for apps in my car? My COMAND nav looks great, has excellent voice command, and the backup camera is just icing on the cake (my neck works as it should).
Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
This whole post is rather offensive, to say the least...

What does the supposed quality have to do how people treat or modify their vehicle (this coming from someone with a stock W204)?

The cars come down the same lines as cars that go to the ROW. The fact that this question even came up is preposterous...
No offense intended , here are the facts from my perspective of being on this forum for over 5 years.

A C Class Mercedes Benz is treated with respect in Australia.

There is no ridiculous vinyl wrapping, childish light changes , unpractical wheel, tyre & suspension mods. These mods in many cases " un-engineer" the C Class .

This probably is so because the C Class is owned in Australia by a more mature clientele who are not slaves to & can see through the latest advertising , fashion & fads.

For a 16 to 22 year old to own a brand new C Class here to go to school would be over indulgent to say the least , a sign of too much wealth & bad training. Who really cares & treats their first car with care ?

If I manufactured a high quality product to see it trashed by unappreciative market, I would not spend quite as much time preparing it for that market.

These are general comments & do not include folk who genuinely appreciate a nice piece of engineering .

Thanks MD for the chance of airing these thoughts. I have been meaning too for years.

Last edited by Carsy; 08-12-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Not offensive , here are the facts from my perspective of being on this forum for over 5 years.
I don't think time on the forum has much to do with it... I've been on here longer than you. It doesn't make my opinion any different than yours. I appreciate what you are saying though - it's enough time to see trends come and go.
A C Class Mercedes Benz is treated with respect in Australia.

There is no ridiculous vinyl wrapping, childish light changes , unpractical wheel, tyre & suspension mods. These mods in many cases " un-engineer" the C Class .
A C is also a lot more expensive and less attainable car in Australia. I also suspect that your car culture is much different over there than what we have here.
This probably is so because the C Class is owned in Australia by a more mature clientele who are not slaves to & can see through the latest advertising , fashion & fads.
It's probably got something to do with the cost of a C there versus here. A C is relatively financially attainable, particularly on the used market, in many parts of the US. An early used W204 costs about the same as a new Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.
For a 16 to 22 year old to own a brand new C Class here to go to school would be over indulgent to say the least , a sign of too much wealth & bad training. Who cares for their first car ?
A used C goes for about the same as a mid to high end Honda Accord here. If you're a parent sending your kid to school, do you want them to be in a tinny, inferior engineered ****box built by a company that's resting on its laurels, or do you want them in a Mercedes?
If I manufactured a high quality product to see it trashed by unappreciative market, I would not spend quite as much time preparing it for that market.
You're also on a forum that despite the name has a majority of US owners. Extreme modification is going on all over the world - from Germany to the UK.

With that all said, the majority of newer C Class owners in the US are buying (more like leasing...) the car for the brand cachet and badge, not the engineering behind it. To me, that's more offensive than a lot of the mods I have seen. It's rather rare to see a modded C around where I live - and they are as commonplace as a Camry/Accord.

Last edited by MDMercedesGuy; 08-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MD ,

Thanks for the plug. Most of your comments reinforce my points .

John .
Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300
I have to agree with the OP here a little bit. I came from a 2010 Golf TDI and that little sucker was a fun drive! S mode really did mean something and it didn't take much of the throttle to tell it to go. I also had an awesome touch screen radio with bluethooth phone AND audio and a whole host of other modern technological features. What it didn't have and I decided I wanted, living in Colorado, was 4Motion. I bought my 2011 C300 Sport 4Motion just a month or so ago. The sales person KNEW my three requirements... "sport" edition, bluethooth phone and audio. He sold me this car believing this met my requirements. I was p*ssed to say the least when I drove it home and tried to setup the bluetooth audio only to learn it wasn't capable. Seriously?! My GOLF had this but my MERCEDES does not?

I was also disappointed in the what I think is stupid brown COMAND color scheme. A little too outdated for me. This was addressed in 2013 at least, as is the bluetooth audio streaming, but seriously, why did it take so long for MB to finally adapt.

I have grown to like the car, despite what I feel is a lazy transmission. Again, I think this can be rectified with a Tune... but d*mn. I kinda feel like, for the US market at least, they build these cars for the older generation. Perhaps the CLA is MB finally offering a car for the "younger" generation.... and I'm almost 40 and these cars feel a little too "old" for me.

I'll be in this car for a few years, like it or not. Time will tell if I buy another.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by amycyclenut
The sales person KNEW my three requirements... "sport" edition, bluethooth phone and audio. He sold me this car believing this met my requirements. I was p*ssed to say the least when I drove it home and tried to setup the bluetooth audio only to learn it wasn't capable. Seriously?! My GOLF had this but my MERCEDES does not?
The sales person knew that you had a checkbook, that's what he knew. How long of a test drive did you take? Did you try out the telematics for yourself?
I was also disappointed in the what I think is stupid brown COMAND color scheme. A little too outdated for me. This was addressed in 2013 at least, as is the bluetooth audio streaming, but seriously, why did it take so long for MB to finally adapt.
Bluetooth audio came with the 2012 redesign, the color scheme change came with 2013. Having had experience with both, it's easy to see why MB went with brown for so long. It is readable in almost all light - the new black, red and silver scheme washes out easier in sunlight. Definitely a step backwards, IMO.

and I'm almost 40 and these cars feel a little too "old" for me.
I must be an automotive old soul. I'm 30 and think this thing is a hoot (perhaps a bit of a misnomer since I have an RWD C250 which has a different demeanor than the C300 4Matic - although I have had quite a lot of time in various C300s). I had an e90 BMW 328i rental for a month - and for it being the supposed handling benchmark of the class, I couldn't see it.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

MD ,

Thanks for the plug. Most of your comments reinforce my points .

John .
Used cars, even Merc do not hold value in the US disposable society whereas elsewhere they do. The number of month’s salary to buy a car in the US is ultra low by world standards.

Wise US members on the OT like cal1 frequently comment that relatively unskilled US workers still command high salaries. Something I can vouch for having worked for a US Multinational all my life. Many of us believe that this will change in the future but at present people have a lot of disposable income. Taxes are low, fuel & other commodities are cheap.

Hence Americans have a different value system. May they enjoy it while they can.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
While I believe some of "Acapulco Bill's" claims to be true, I'd like to to reply just in case potential buyers are looking for a rebuttal.

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
As for TECH, it was refreshing to see that in the Fusion CD's displayed album and title (the Merc does NOT),
Mine does. For reference, I have the MM package.

plus digital FM showed the title of what was playing (the Merc does NOT),
Mine does. Again perhaps because of the MM package.

there is a gasoline trip calculator, has Sync for simple Bluetooth cellphone pairing (the Merc does NOT, have to load contact by contact, I have 100+)
Mine does. Plus it automatically syncs addresses too with voice activated commands.

Not the still-after-four-years-cant-get-used-to-it cruise control on the W204, the Fusion has it logically on the steering wheel. Also paddle shifters (the Merc does NOT)
Paddle shifters? Mine does. Plus the cruise control stalk is probably the best implementation for location placement in terms of high speed freeway driving. I consider it very intuitive (no on/off button), your hands never have to leave the 9-3 driving position, and you'll never have to take your eyes off the road doing so.

Does the S Class have lifetime service for free including drop off and pick up at your door with a free loaner? Hyundai does, because its "tech" lets the dealer know how many miles you've driven.
Must be a Mexico service thing...but where I live they do. Also, if you continue to spend a minimum of $100/year for service (after the warranty period), you also have lifetime roadside service with MB nationwide.

the 7G Tronic is a total fail in comparison to even VW. Maybe the S-Class "leads the class" but NOT in tech. A 9-speed will not solve the disappointing performance of MB's inferior transmission design engineering. Should just pony-up to ZF and get a decent shifter.
With all of "Acapulco Bill's" claim of a lethargic transmission, I still can't relate (or at least not yet). Then again, perhaps it is because my "sports" button functions differently then yours?

For reference I have a special ordered the Dynamic Handling package that includes a sport mode that changes:
suspension stiffness, steering, throttle, transmission shift points and shift speeds.

When the C-Class and other MB models offer useful, real-world "tech" as standard equipment, maybe then MB can be proud about it. Until then it is all just hype and BS, and the W204 is nearly a decade behind most brands. Period.
This is debatable, since I also consider "real-world" tech to also encompass mechanical/structural advancements and not just electronics.

Just to compare, I daily drive a 2012 MB C350 (~75 miles/day), while my wife drives a 2013 Lexus CT200h (~80 miles/day). While we both agree the Lexus beats the MB in regards to Navigation and overall UI friendliness (as well as mpg because it's a hybrid), the MB beats the Lexus in every other aspect.

UNRELATED:
On a side note...where in Acapulco are you Bill? I haven't been back in years, but when I was a child my parents use to stay in Torres Gemelas.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by edgalang
Just to compare, I daily drive a 2012 MB C350 (~75 miles/day), while my wife drives a 2013 Lexus CT200h (~80 miles/day). While we both agree the Lexus beats the MB in regards to Navigation and overall UI friendliness (as well as mpg because it's a hybrid), the MB beats the Lexus in every other aspect.
I never used Lexus' info/navi system but it does look like windows 98 UI, looks outdated imo.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@edgalang: There is a major difference in base tech offered in the facelifted 2012 and what was offered from 2008-2011. And the 2013's I have seen recently in the US are a little further on (up to what most offered around 2004-06 like BMW in tech). As the original post was in reference to two reviews of new MB products, the S Class and the GLK, it's hard to imagine the multiple millions of Euros that were invested in designing these new vehicles, without spending anything to solve old and buggy software issues with their maps and their MB apps, and which STILL dont load properly after 8 years.

The original point was that MB flaunts rhetoric about the "most advanced tech" while in real life, their tech is almost unusable, flawed and SLOW. Not my opinion but the general auto press' opinion. I am just a messenger here. And there has yet to be a review of any MB vehicle with the 7G that doesnt pan and ridicule the slow shifts (or please post one with glowing praise), the C63 (not the Black) review by Top Gear even complained about the older 7G. The MCT is an improvement but still has shift times more than an order of magnitude slower than other high-end manufacturers.

After some critical rebuttals about my personal opinions and experience with the 7G, even though I had gone through one training course before in the hope of finding solutions, I spent several hours downloading and reading several newer MB tech manuals, including advanced training courses about dealing with the TCU, valve bodies and dealing with the SCN encoding and verification. MB's position is more understandable, and comparing the 722.6 with the 722.9 and now the 7G Plus, it is an interesting piece of engineering that has its own requirements (smooth, efficient, shift time is not a priority) and amazing to think that MB stuffed an extra Ravigneaux set in the same size case of the 722.6!!

Seeing that the 9G adds yet another gear set, the result will be a blistering 3 MPG more efficient. Truly a technological tour-de-force BUT one wonders if a dual-clutch transmission with its inherent efficiency and faster shifts, could have been a better choice for the C-Class? The whole 7G/9G setup costs between 1.2 and 2 seconds more 0 to 60 MPH, probably this does not deter the sale of enough cars to make a difference to MB, only to a limited number of "enthusiasts".

So I partially recant on the 7G, it is what it is. However still shifts so slowly and takes 2 seconds to react when doing a WOT from a rolling 30 MPH. (Glyn I performed many WOT both rolling and from a standing stop, even so the 7G may be working perfectly but a fast-shifting transmission it is not, by its own design, having 6 inputs from the CAN bus that have to fall within certain parameters, then coupled with the average lookup table of the Adaptive Learning scheme, yes it is just plain slow. I will make some movies with a track timer.)

Will post pictures tomorrow with what the Audio display shows when playing original AIFF CD's, remembering this is a MY2010 that looks more like 2002 tech.

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 08-13-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

It is quite evident that my CLK has a different MAP than your 722.9. There are no 2 second lags on a rolling kick down.

You don't seem to grasp that this is a software driven box. It will do what it is programmed to do. AMG variants as an example do everything a lot quicker due to the programming & have been made even quicker with newer iterations. That is one of the joys of the 722.9/.9 Plus.

The 2014 W205 C Class will be available with a 7G DCT. Maybe you will like that.

The 7G DCT in the new A class is a little slow to react on the base A180 model. The A250 Sport (by AMG) a little quicker, The A45 blisteringly quick on prototypes being tested here. Let's see what final MAP AMG settles on.

Early change ups are purely mapped in on the adaptive side to save fuel & meet emissions targets in countries where taxation on the cars is based on g/km of CO & CO2.

The new S Class S400 hybrid will achieve 6.3l/100 km & 147 g/km CO2, The S300 Bluetec Hybrid turbodiesel 4.4l/100km & 115g/km CO2 and the S500 plug in hybrid an astonishing 3.0l/100 km & 75g/km CO2.

That is what I call tech in a large luxury car.

The only reasonable complaint about the early 722.9 was with the damn unreliable Siemens conductor plate that caused the "speed turbine implausible" issues with the valve body. This lead to major acrimony between Benz & Siemens & rightly so.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-13-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
The original point was that MB flaunts rhetoric about the "most advanced tech" while in real life, their tech is almost unusable, flawed and SLOW.
How? Provide examples. Their tech works fine - in fact a lot better than BMW's latest rendition of IDrive which requires too many clicks to do anything.
Not my opinion but the general auto press' opinion. I am just a messenger here.
URLs please. Please point out a URL that is saying the infotainment tech is unusable, flawed or slow.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
I personally hope MB doesn't put a DSG style transmission in their more conservative cars like the C (or E or S) class. I know it's not good to decide on anecdotal evidence, but I've not been impressed at all with VW DSG or Ford PowerShift. I'll take a good, smooth, (but traditional) autobox every time (unless the car has three pedals). The S-button in my 7G Plus takes care of the only problem I have (lag coming out of super-low speed sharp turns in the city) with the 7G Plus.

I also don't think anyone needs to see pictures of anyone's NAV or radio screen from 6 years ago (W204s came out in 2007....god I'm old!). I think we all know what those screens looked like back in the day.

** This is another reason I never buy cars based on tech....they will ALWAYS look slow and old within a couple of years, just like smartphones and tablets. I LEASE cars with NAV systems, but BUY cars without them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest MB tech still the SLOWEST thing going