Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Akebono brakes in Toronto area >

Akebono brakes in Toronto area

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Akebono brakes in Toronto area

 
Old 09-30-2013, 01:24 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic- Palladium
Akebono brakes in Toronto area

Hi guys,

My MB dealer called me to inform that my brakes and rotors need replacement and I told them not to bother. The reasons are that I want something that will generate minimal/no dust and based on my readings, Akebono pads and rotors are good. And the dealer's cost is so high.

Also, the warning message hasn't come up yet, but the dealer is saying my front pads are 2mm left and rotors are under size. The rear pads have 3.5mm and rotors are OK. They are suggesting to change everything except the rear rotors and saying the warning message may come anytime as it is set for 2mm limit.

My question to you is, have you dealt with any local shop in the GTA where they sell and install Akebono parts? If so, please share the details with me.

Is it better to change everything all together, including all rotors, if I don't want to see any dust?

Thanks for your thoughts!
macsp is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 01:29 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Sportstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 4,975
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 228i
Originally Posted by macsp View Post
Hi guys,

My MB dealer called me to inform that my brakes and rotors need replacement and I told them not to bother. The reasons are that I want something that will generate minimal/no dust and based on my readings, Akebono pads and rotors are good. And the dealer's cost is so high.

Also, the warning message hasn't come up yet, but the dealer is saying my front pads are 2mm left and rotors are under size. The rear pads have 3.5mm and rotors are OK. They are suggesting to change everything except the rear rotors and saying the warning message may come anytime as it is set for 2mm limit.

My question to you is, have you dealt with any local shop in the GTA where they sell and install Akebono parts? If so, please share the details with me.

Is it better to change everything all together, including all rotors, if I don't want to see any dust?

Thanks for your thoughts!
If you have a good tech outside the dealer (or if the dealer will work with your parts), I suggest ordering online. I got my Akebono pads on Amazon, and ordered rotors from tirerack.com for another car we have, but they should also be able to supply good choices for the C Class. If the rotors are within spec, smooth and not scored (push your fingernail across the surface....slide smoothly or get caught on "record grooves"?), they may not need replacement. The rotors and pads do not necessarily have to be replaced together....depends on the condition....that's not where the dust comes from. However, it sounds like your front rotors are already out of spec, so it may be best to simply replace them as well.
Sportstick is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic- Palladium
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
If you have a good tech outside the dealer (or if the dealer will work with your parts), I suggest ordering online. I got my Akebono pads on Amazon, and ordered rotors from tirerack.com for another car we have, but they should also be able to supply good choices for the C Class. If the rotors are within spec, smooth and not scored (push your fingernail across the surface....slide smoothly or get caught on "record grooves"?), they may not need replacement. The rotors and pads do not necessarily have to be replaced together....depends on the condition....that's not where the dust comes from. However, it sounds like your front rotors are already out of spec, so it may be best to simply replace them as well.
Sportstick, thanks for your quick response. I will look at the prices online as well. May be I can order online and get them delivered first. Once I receive the parts, I can go to a reliable shop to get them swapped. I see the prices first and decide if I should replace all rotors.

My concern here is that why the OEM brakes are wearing out so fast? My car has 65,000KM. Is this normal or is it our driving habit? Any idea how long the Akebono set will last?
macsp is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 02:01 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Sportstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 4,975
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 228i
Originally Posted by macsp View Post
Sportstick, thanks for your quick response. I will look at the prices online as well. May be I can order online and get them delivered first. Once I receive the parts, I can go to a reliable shop to get them swapped. I see the prices first and decide if I should replace all rotors.

My concern here is that why the OEM brakes are wearing out so fast? My car has 65,000KM. Is this normal or is it our driving habit? Any idea how long the Akebono set will last?
I was in Toronto over the weekend (very exciting game of Rays vs. Jays....sorry about the score!). From my driving experience, I'm surprised you got that much! I don't think I got above 50kph from the Gardiner to 427 to 401, until well past Milton. It is not possible to predict brake life due to so many factors in driving style and traffic, but you are certainly in a high usage area! For that environment, your experience does seem reasonable.

But, you will never need to buy wheel cleaner again! I haven't touched my leftover bottles for two years!
Sportstick is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 03:01 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic- Palladium
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I was in Toronto over the weekend (very exciting game of Rays vs. Jays....sorry about the score!). From my driving experience, I'm surprised you got that much! I don't think I got above 50kph from the Gardiner to 427 to 401, until well past Milton. It is not possible to predict brake life due to so many factors in driving style and traffic, but you are certainly in a high usage area! For that environment, your experience does seem reasonable.

But, you will never need to buy wheel cleaner again! I haven't touched my leftover bottles for two years!
Errrrrr...........don't start with the things that I hate (the traffic in GTA) and not happy with (the Jays)..LOL!!! We all know the Jays were playing spoiler. Hope the Rays win the game against Rangers as I like that team better. Big fan of underdogs.

OK, back to the business. I just checked the tirerack site and it only lists the pads from Akebono. Which rotors would you guys recommend and where can I get them? One silly question...as for the pads, it comes as pair...right? That means I only have to buy one box for the front and one for the rear ($80 + $68)? The shipping cost for both items are about $65 to Toronto. On the other hand, Akebono has a distributor near my work and I may drop by to check some prices.
macsp is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
My brake pads and rotors got changed at 60,000km.
snowmuch is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic- Palladium
Originally Posted by snowmuch View Post
My brake pads and rotors got changed at 60,000km.
Thanks! So it looks like around 60-65K clicks is pretty much the time. What kind of rotors have you used? I am going to get the Akebono pads, but not sure about the rotors yet.
macsp is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by macsp View Post
Thanks! So it looks like around 60-65K clicks is pretty much the time. What kind of rotors have you used? I am going to get the Akebono pads, but not sure about the rotors yet.
I got some aftermarket one looks very similar to OE. My buddy who owns a indy shop got it install for me along with akebono brake pads. Loving them so far.
snowmuch is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 12:20 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 6-spd
I know that this site has a lot of Akebono fans, but I replaced both my front and rear rotors, and brake pads using OEM parts. That was over 3,000 kms. ago. I can confidently say that the brake dust problems which I had experienced with the original pads are gone.

Since I didn't want to run the risk of ordering wrong parts on-line, I bought all the brake parts from Mercedes-Benz on Dundas St. E. I also noticed that some of the brake components on my Canadian C-3000 Sport were different to the DIY instructions, pictures and YouTube videos. (For example, the brake discs hook inside the caliper and then you slide it over the rotor like a "cartridge". Also, there is a retaining clip on the front brakes that will give your fingers a workout to reinstall it.)

So, my warning is that there may be some minor design differences between U.S and Canadian models, which could be frustrating if you order the wrong parts online. Chances are will not be disappointed if you use OEM parts.

By the way, I don't work for Mercedes, nor am I a mechanic. I am just an owner.
earlybird is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 01:34 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
I know that this site has a lot of Akebono fans, but I replaced both my front and rear rotors, and brake pads using OEM parts. That was over 3,000 kms. ago. I can confidently say that the brake dust problems which I had experienced with the original pads are gone.

Since I didn't want to run the risk of ordering wrong parts on-line, I bought all the brake parts from Mercedes-Benz on Dundas St. E. I also noticed that some of the brake components on my Canadian C-3000 Sport were different to the DIY instructions, pictures and YouTube videos. (For example, the brake discs hook inside the caliper and then you slide it over the rotor like a "cartridge". Also, there is a retaining clip on the front brakes that will give your fingers a workout to reinstall it.)

So, my warning is that there may be some minor design differences between U.S and Canadian models, which could be frustrating if you order the wrong parts online. Chances are will not be disappointed if you use OEM parts.

By the way, I don't work for Mercedes, nor am I a mechanic. I am just an owner.
That's because Canadian c300 uses c350 brakes the front is bigger than us c300 and the rear is the same. I had to call my dealer to confirm this.


The front brake pads for the C300 are part# EUR1340
The front brake pads for the C350 are part# EUR1342
The rear brake pads are part# EUR1341
snowmuch is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 10:58 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic- Palladium
Originally Posted by snowmuch View Post
That's because Canadian c300 uses c350 brakes the front is bigger than us c300 and the rear is the same. I had to call my dealer to confirm this.


The front brake pads for the C300 are part# EUR1340
The front brake pads for the C350 are part# EUR1342
The rear brake pads are part# EUR1341
OK, that means I have to order EUR1342 and EUR1341 for my Canadian C300. Thanks for this clarification...I didn't know when I checked online I just selected C300.
macsp is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 10:53 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic- Palladium
Have you guys thought about machining the front rotors to make them smooth and reuse instead of replacing them? I ran my fingers across and felt bumpy on the front and OK on the rear rotors. Looking at all the options now. If the rear rotors are OK, should I leave them alone or still change all together?

I can buy OEM rotors and Akebono pads and have the dealer or an indy shop installed. That is my plan now.
macsp is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vic viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,108
Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts
S213
Average mileage for first pad change according to my own observations is 80-100.000Km
Rotors should never wear down under 100K
vic viper is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Akebono brakes in Toronto area


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: