C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Recall out on C250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2013 | 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Recall out on C250

This past weekend, I had an incident where under moderate acceleration from a stop, on the 2-3 upshift my car made a rather loud bang and lurched so hard it threw everyone forward into their seatbelts (which thankfully locked), followed by a Check Engine light and absolutely no power. After a restart, the light remained but everything seemed normal. I took it in this morning.

While they were checking me in, my service writer noted that my car had a recall out on it - apparently MB just released it. Something about engine calibration and needing a new flash of software to the ECU.

Keep an eye on your mailboxes C250 owners - who knows how widespread this is.

(Sidebar, while I was in there a guy in a brand new CLA250 brought his car in for a Check Engine light. From overhearing the service writer - apparently there is a bug in the software on the CLAs that is causing Check Engine lights to come on. Some part of the repair requires them to let the car sit undisturbed for 6 hours.)
Old 10-07-2013 | 10:14 AM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
Let us know the NHSTA recall number when you see the paperwork. I'd like to find out what range of VINs it covers.

Hopefully it's an easy repair. A recall usually means something is terribly wrong making the government get involved for safety reasons, which is scary.

Usually companies just do TSBs for minor issues. We are waiting for more info!

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2013 | 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
I'll let you know.

My writer referred to it as a Recall and not a TSB. He's a car guy, knows I am a car guy so hopefully the correct terminology was being used.

I will know at lunchtime if I get it back today. They are also repairing my reverse camera for flickering and blacking out (for the second time... hopefully they just replace the damn wiring harness this time instead of repairing the connector).
Old 10-07-2013 | 08:14 PM

2010' C250 W204
Any year range estimation? 2011+ facelifted models or also the earlier ones included?

How many miles/kms have you clocked?
Old 10-07-2013 | 09:08 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
This past weekend, I had an incident where under moderate acceleration from a stop, on the 2-3 upshift my car made a rather loud bang and lurched so hard it threw everyone forward into their seatbelts (which thankfully locked), followed by a Check Engine light and absolutely no power. After a restart, the light remained but everything seemed normal. I took it in this morning.

While they were checking me in, my service writer noted that my car had a recall out on it - apparently MB just released it. Something about engine calibration and needing a new flash of software to the ECU.

(Sidebar, while I was in there a guy in a brand new CLA250 brought his car in for a Check Engine light. From overhearing the service writer - apparently there is a bug in the software on the CLAs that is causing Check Engine lights to come on. Some part of the repair requires them to let the car sit undisturbed for 6 hours.)
Sounds quite frightening. Thanks for the heads up, and glad you weren't hurt!

And bad news about the CLA....
Old 10-07-2013 | 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
The paperwork is downstairs in the garage in my car - I will post the numbers tomorrow.

It *is* a recall, and not a campaign - I checked. It involved a software update and checking of the differential oil oddly. I don't have an idea of range - but the M271 is only in the W204 from 2012 onward. I got it back earlier - drives the same.
Old 10-08-2013 | 01:38 AM

e55
hm... I'll have my SA check it out once I get a chance to bring mine in this week hopefully.. Thanks for the head's up
Old 10-08-2013 | 08:44 AM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
The paperwork is downstairs in the garage in my car - I will post the numbers tomorrow.

It *is* a recall, and not a campaign - I checked. It involved a software update and checking of the differential oil oddly. I don't have an idea of range - but the M271 is only in the W204 from 2012 onward. I got it back earlier - drives the same.
That is really sketchy on the part of MBUSA. A recall requires the manufacturer to send notices to customers. None of us has seen anything. If you can provide the recall number, that would be great.

**I would not worry about the CLA250. Different 4 cylinder turbo and no differential to check since it's FWD.
Old 10-08-2013 | 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
The issue with the CLA250 Check Engine Light is a whole other issue apparently.

You also have to remember, NHTSA is shut down and not processing anything to do with recalls right now. I do not know the date that this came to light - but it could be that I jumped ahead of the letter by the nature of my car trying to kill me (sarcasm intended - but it could have been bad had I pulled out in front of someone - the road was rural and with a 55MPH speed limit).
Old 10-08-2013 | 11:30 AM

16 E350 4M wagon, 70 911T
Subscribed. Have been seriously considering a new C250 for a couple of months now; skittish to pull the trigger and this makes me even more so.

Good luck getting the issue resolved!
Old 10-08-2013 | 11:44 AM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
Originally Posted by crater64
Subscribed. Have been seriously considering a new C250 for a couple of months now; skittish to pull the trigger and this makes me even more so.

Crater - I don't think the sky is falling.

Anything that breaks would be fixed by MB. I have researched recalls and I don't see anything. It appears there isn't an actual recall number yet, or the OP would have that documented on service paperwork. I'm thinking his dealer service just referred to it as a recall, but it's really just a "known issue" type of thing. Still not a good thing obviously, but at least an easy fix...

In the larger picture, the W204's have proven to be pretty sturdy little cars.
Old 10-08-2013 | 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by spyked
Crater - I don't think the sky is falling.

Anything that breaks would be fixed by MB. I have researched recalls and I don't see anything. It appears there isn't an actual recall number yet, or the OP would have that documented on service paperwork. I'm thinking his dealer service just referred to it as a recall, but it's really just a "known issue" type of thing. Still not a good thing obviously, but at least an easy fix...

In the larger picture, the W204's have proven to be pretty sturdy little cars.
Understood. The W204s appear to be more reliable than M-Bs of the 2000s generally, hence why I'm considering one. If there's a software fix that can be done to a car while still in dealer inventory, so much the better.
Old 10-08-2013 | 12:10 PM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
Understood. The W204s appear to be more reliable than M-Bs of the 2000s generally, hence why I'm considering one. If there's a software fix that can be done to a car while still in dealer inventory, so much the better.
I have a 2013 (June 2012 build date). I just called MBUSA and asked if there are any recalls. They said no. No recalls, but I have an outstanding Service Campaign 201200002. Just a reprogram of ECU. He said it's not a recall, just something they perform at next service.

I see the OPs car is a 2012, so he might have a recall. Recalls and Service Campaigns are different, but both a VIN based.

Hopefully OPs car is fixed and is now safe to drive. I don't have any issues with mine (knock wood). Almost don't want them to perform the campaign if the SW update will change the way it drives...(I bought it because I like the way it drives now, obviously)
Old 10-08-2013 | 12:59 PM

2013 C250 Sport and 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech
Originally Posted by spyked
I have a 2013 (June 2012 build date). I just called MBUSA and asked if there are any recalls. They said no. No recalls, but I have an outstanding Service Campaign 201200002. Just a reprogram of ECU. He said it's not a recall, just something they perform at next service.

I see the OPs car is a 2012, so he might have a recall. Recalls and Service Campaigns are different, but both a VIN based.

Hopefully OPs car is fixed and is now safe to drive. I don't have any issues with mine (knock wood). Almost don't want them to perform the campaign if the SW update will change the way it drives...(I bought it because I like the way it drives now, obviously)
My sentiment exactly. Not sure how they could make this car drive nicer. After trying out the BMW 328 (I've had 3 Bimmers in the past), the ATS, and the A4, the C250 won hands down. I even liked it better than the C350.
Old 10-08-2013 | 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450

Don't be skittish. The car is a very good car - I happen to have an early one, so I might have more teething issues than some. Overall it's worth it and puts a smile on my face every time I put my foot down.

What are your concerns with it - maybe we can smooth them over?
Old 10-08-2013 | 04:23 PM

2012 c250 Coupe

I brought my car in for another issue last week and service writer told me about the ECU update campaign for my 2012 c250. They applied the update and it fixed my turbo lag significantly! Feels like a different engine. Currently have the BMS jb+ tune and intake and it pulls hard now and is more linear in acceleration vs. waiting for the turbo the spool before the ecu update. I used to be weary about doing a quick lane change because of the lag but not anymore. Lag is still there but very minimal and does not bother me. I am very satisfied with the ecu update.

I knew there was something wrong with my c250 before the update because I drove about 4 other c250 loaners with no lag issues. I was conteplating about turing in my car after lease end, but I may keep it after this fix.

For those wondering if you car applies, just call your local service department with your vin.

Last edited by Kevin82; 10-08-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2013 | 06:38 PM

E200, C250 CGI
Does any one know if this will be the case for the 2011 C250 CGI for Australia?
Or any one with 2011 C250 CGI else where in other parts of the world?

joe....
Old 10-09-2013 | 12:28 AM

E200, C250 CGI
Well Ive called my local dealer and seems like there is non out there for Australia.
Interesting indeed.

joe....
Old 10-09-2013 | 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
It could be the fuel difference.

Our M271s in the US do not utilize lean burn mode as our fuel is poor quality compared to a lot of places in the world.

I haven't noticed any drivability changes. I reset my throttle every 3 or so weeks, it feels like it does right after a reset.
Old 10-09-2013 | 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
I keep forgetting to get the paperwork out of my glove box, I will tomorrow.

While my car was in, it also got a COMAND software update. Text messages now come through my COMAND system - very happy with this! (iPhone 5s).
Old 10-11-2013 | 02:52 PM

Don't be skittish. The car is a very good car - I happen to have an early one, so I might have more teething issues than some. Overall it's worth it and puts a smile on my face every time I put my foot down.

What are your concerns with it - maybe we can smooth them over?
Mainly finding one at the right price within a day's drive on the East Coast. I'll PM you with details a bit later.
Old 10-15-2013 | 09:11 PM

Today I went to my dealership and asked about the ecu update, the SA that if there is anything it may be a TSB, but probably not a recall, again a recall usually relates to a safety issue. The SA went to his computer and verified there is a recall on my car a 2012 C250. It is a ECU update. I have been very unhappy with drive ability issues on the car, car has been back countless times for the same problem. I hope this recall will help with the problem. Very interesting that it is a recall and not a TSB. Crazy that the car was in for service about 10 days ago and the dealer did not check for recalls. Thank you MD Mercedesguy for the heads up.
I will report the results after my Friday appointment.
Old 10-16-2013 | 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
I am noticing some changes after a few days. It seems smoother throughout - I'm noticing less peaks and valleys in thrust under moderate to heavy (but not WOT) acceleration. Its demeanor seems to have changed a bit.
Old 11-12-2013 | 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
After living with this for about a month now, I'm on the fence as to whether I am happy or not with the changes to my car.

If you are looking for a more NA V6 like driving experience, you'll probably like it. The car seems much smoother throughout the rev range as far as power output is concerned. It more readily downshifts, and power is very linear in E - it almost seems like the throttle response has been modified. Most of the peakiness of the M271 is gone.

<rant>
That said, if I wanted this type of power output, I would have bought a V6 in the first place. I don't care about bringing the car in spec with whatever is out now - MB needs to make owners aware of the changes of a flash like this.
</rant off>
Old 11-12-2013 | 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
This is the problem a manufacturer faces with the modern car where engine & transmission mapping software controls everything. Where do they set things to keep most of the people happy most of the time. They will never satisfy everyone.

Maybe the answer lies in 3 switchable engine maps & 3 switchable transmission maps. Then everybody can play with all the permutations.

Of course there are people that will criticise this approach as well. Then maybe there could be a MB mode which engages a good compromise similar to your new flash.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-12-2013 at 07:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Recall out on C250