C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Dealership scratched my car during service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport
Dealership scratched my car during service

I had a few issues with my car and also needed the A service, so I brought it to the dealership. They were able to fix a few things under warranty and the A service was about $300.

HOWEVER, upon leaving the dealership I noticed a very deep scratch in the back bumper. They told me that they're not liable for damages occurred during service. What do I do now? They told me that I would have to pay to fix the scratch that they caused!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 PM

2013 300C 4matic
BS is right. They are responsible for damage to your car while they have possession. Saying they are not is a pure lie. Tell the service manager your car was damaged during service, and you need to file a claim with their insurance company ASAP, if they are not willing to take care of their mistake. All dealers carry garage keepers insurance covers this very thing. They need to change their tune.

Last edited by CodyC6; 10-10-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 PM

C300 Sport
Originally Posted by CodyC6
BS is right. They are responsible for damage to your car while they have possession. Saying they are not is a pure lie. Tell the service manager your car was damaged during e service, and you need to file a claim with their insurance company ASAP, if they are not willing to take care of their mistake. All dealers carry garage keepers insurance covers this very thing. They need to change their tune.
I am going to call the service manager tomorrow. Tried today, but couldn't reach them.

I called my auto insurance company earlier to see if they could do something. They said they could file a claim for me if I wanted. Would that increase my insurance rates at all? It is only a 4-5 inch scratch, but it bothers me like crazy.

How do I file a claim with their insurance company? Also, this is the dealership where I purchased my CPO and my warranty is covered here. I don't want to create a bad relationship with this place. What do I do?

Last edited by luxgal; 10-10-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Total BS. That's why they are supposed to do a walk-around when you drop off your car. If your car is a Mercedes CPO- the warranty is covered at all Mercedes dealerships. If they refuse to resolve the issue- contact MBUSA corporate.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 AM

C300 Sport
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Total BS. That's why they are supposed to do a walk-around when you drop off your car. If your car is a Mercedes CPO- the warranty is covered at all Mercedes dealerships. If they refuse to resolve the issue- contact MBUSA corporate.
They didn't even do a walk-around or even take a look at my car to understand the issues I was experiencing! I had to difficultly explain the car problems by using hand motions like an idiot. I suppose the "service adviser" was to lazy to leave his desk to care.

Neither did they fill out a slip to indicate any prior damages/scratches before service... They made me do that the second time I brought it in. Horrible service. Will never be returning here ever again.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 AM

C300 Sport
This Mercedes dealership is a bit different though. It's owned by another company that also owns other brands of vehicles. Are you sure I could simply go to any authorized Mercedes dealership for issues covered under warranty?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
My CPO was purchased from a similar company:http://www.fieldsauto.com/index.htm
If the vehicle is a Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes and they are an Authorized Dealer- the warranty should be honored at any Mercedes-Benz Dealership. The difference I notice is my Dealership will send a loaner car to my location (45 miles away), switch out cars and return mine when the service is completed. I wouldn't receive that service from the nearby dealership not associated with them.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 AM

C300 Sport
They drive to you? Wish they would do that for me.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:56 PM
aty

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 GLC 43
Originally Posted by luxgal
This Mercedes dealership is a bit different though. It's owned by another company that also owns other brands of vehicles. Are you sure I could simply go to any authorized Mercedes dealership for issues covered under warranty?
Do you mind telling us which dealership this is?

Thanks and good luck.
Al
Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C300 sport
I had a similar situation and had it resolved after complaining to the service manager and e-mailing the owner of the dealership. This dealership has a independent guy who comes in and touches up scratches and fixes dents.
Doesn't cost the dealership much at all. The scratch on my bumper was repaired at no charge to me.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 C300 and 2014 Explorer
Originally Posted by luxgal
I am sure you can go to any authorized Mercedes Benz dealership.

What dealership are you talking about. I am also in the Boston area (Cape Cod). You describe Herb Chambers (3 MB dealerships) in the Boston area plus dozens of other car dealerships (Lexus, Cadillac, BMW, Chevy, Ford and on and on). Also Prime Motor Group has two Mercedes dealerships in Massachusetts one in Westwood and one in Hyannis and a new MB dealership opening in Hanover, MA. They also have more than a dozen other new car dealerships.

I am at 8,500 miles and will be getting my first service soon and I don't want to go to someplace that will scratch my car and not take responsibility for it.

BTW, I understand VITI Mercedes Benz in RI will drive to your location leave a loaner (a new C if you have a C, an E if you have an E, etc.) and return your car when the work is done at no extra cost.