C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MBUSA Says I need a new engine!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 400E
Originally Posted by spyked
Balance shaft issues on M271 Evo engines? I've never heard of that. Please post info when you get a chance.

(I don't see why the dealer is responsible at all, btw. Jiffy Lube broke the car. If anyone other than the car owner is responsible, it's Jiffy Lube)
My bad, thought we were dealing with M272.

In any case, the oil filter did not cause a major failure like this.

I'll post more information after looking into this on Startek/Wis
Old 11-30-2013, 09:34 AM

1993 400E
OK, now that I refreshed myself on WIS, (my first post was on my cell)
I was able to look over the lubrication system on the M271.

The oil filter is a standard element filter. 271-180-05 09 :M271.8
or 271-180-01 09 M271.9

There is no anti-drain back valve in this filter, as seen in some spin on metal filters.
So there is no "oil filter holding pressure on restart" issue

There is no way the wrong filter caused major engine damage as the filter
does not control oil pressure. Even a restricted filter won't as there is a bypass
circuit that at worst would allow dirt/debris to bypass the filter.

Dillon, post your VIN for one, I'll contact a friend at my old dealer and check on your warranty status.

Second thing I'd do is go buy a genuine MB filter, remove "the wrong" filter
and post side by side pics. I want to see what's "wrong" about the filter.

Third, find out what brand and part number filter Jiffy lube used.
Tell them if they want to prove they did not cause the problem, they'll give you the information.

I'm willing to help you prove one way or the other what happened and "IF" anyone is responsable.

Last edited by clarkz71; 11-30-2013 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ThoughtIKnewAll (08-10-2017)
Old 11-30-2013, 10:14 AM

1993 400E
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Wrong oil for a short period of time will not damage an engine. It is not good for it but will not cause catastrophic failure.
Fully understanding what they did with the oil filter could be the cause. Wrong size element.
O rings in the wrong place etc could cause trouble.
The fact that there is visible wear metal is a big worry.
Glyn, I doubt the "technicians" at Jiffy Lube replace any of the O-rings.

More then likely just swap out the filter. I know many dealer technicians
that practice this to save time. Kind of like the "too lazy" to drain the converter types.

Now if they removed the O-rings and didn't install new ones, or used the wrong size
that could be an issue. But MB didn't say that. They said wrong filter.

Last edited by clarkz71; 11-30-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by Dillonb1987
So I took my car to Jiffy Lube thinking they were competent professionals that can take care of my car...
Probably the funniest thing I've read in a long time. But sorry to hear about your troubles nonetheless.

After a day or two of this happening the check engine light came on,
Every time a check engine light comes on, a fault code is stored in the ECU. It'd be nice to know which codes exactly registered throughout this whole ordeal. That would help shed some light on what really is going on with your car. I agree with Glyn and others that non-MB 229.5 oil wouldn't cause a problem right away. Non-OEM filter shouldn't kill an engine right away either, unless the JL monkeys just did not put it back together correctly. If MBUSA claims that these two items led to your engine's destruction, it's on them to actually prove it. They can't just waive the "non OEM" flag and stick you with a bill. Get a lawyer if you have to.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by clarkz71
Glyn, I doubt the "technicians" at Jiffy Lube replace any of the O-rings.

More then likely just swap out the filter. I know many dealer technicians
that practice this to save time. Kind of like the "too lazy" to drain the converter types.

Now if they removed the O-rings and didn't install new ones, or used the wrong size
that could be an issue. But MB didn't say that. They said wrong filter.
Yes ~ indeed. My comment only as a suggestion on possible errors. You have covered the rest of the filter issue & I have covered the oil issue.

I would like to understand what really went wrong here & who is BS'ing who.

I would not take my Benz to Jiffy Lube & dealers are only as good as their management & people. They vary from excellent to bloody awful & I have heard some utter crap spoken to customers around the world in my global oilco job.

That said the wrong oil would take a long while to show up as engine damage & the first signs on a Benz & indeed most brands would be in the cam & tappet area which is why Benz is so fanatical about HTHS in their service product testing regime.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:49 PM

2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
Any new news about this?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:30 PM

2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
Nothing new about this , was it just a troll post
Old 02-08-2014, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250
Hey guys, sorry it's taken so long for me to reply I've just been pretty frustrated and didn't feel like talking about the situation. I finally got my car back and running as good as new!! I had Alfano take apart the engine to see just how much damage was done, only to find out that I didn't need a new engine. The intake camshaft adjuster and the center valve were damaged causing the check engine light to come on. $2900 later my car is back!!!! Thank you for all the suggestions and I hope that my situation can help some of you. Bottom line, if your car rattles on the start up, check your intake camshaft adjuster. Now I just have to take Jiffy lube to small claims court and try to get my money back.

Last edited by Dillonb1987; 02-08-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 AM

2012 Mercedes C250
Hey guys, I finally got my car back and running as good as new!! I had Alfano take apart the engine to see just how much damage was done, only to find out that I didn't need a new engine. The intake camshaft adjuster and the center valve were damaged causing the check engine light to come on. $2900 later my car is back!!!! Thank you for all the suggestions and I hope that my situation can help some of you. Bottom line, if your car rattles on the start up, check your intake camshaft adjuster. Now I just have to take Jiffy lube to small claims court and try to get my money back.
Oh, and to clarify, the oil filter does not hold pressure while the vehicle is off, it holds the oil inside the oil filter so the oil can go where it needs to go as fast as possible. The oil filter that was installed by jiffy lube allowed the oil to drain causing the engine to run without oil for an extra 5 seconds every time is started the engine, which turns out to be a lot over time.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Unless there is some sort of valve in the housing, there is no anti-drainback valve on the M271. I do my own oil changes, I've swapped filters 5 times now - it is just an element that slides onto the cap.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Unless there is some sort of valve in the housing, there is no anti-drainback valve on the M271.
Yup, typically in cars that utilize cartridge filters, like M272, the valve is actually inside the engine, not part of the filter itself. I believe it's the same on M271 which also uses a cartridge filter element.

Last edited by Pete7874; 02-08-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM

Oh, and to clarify, the oil filter does not hold pressure while the vehicle is off, it holds the oil inside the oil filter so the oil can go where it needs to go as fast as possible. The oil filter that was installed by jiffy lube allowed the oil to drain causing the engine to run without oil for an extra 5 seconds every time is started the engine, which turns out to be a lot over time.
This makes no sense. AFAIK, your engine uses a cartridge filter element. Whether OEM or aftermarket, there is no part (valve) in this filter that would allow to hold the oil. The valve is integral to the engine itself, not the filter.

Do you still have the filter that Jiffy installed? What brand/model was it exactly? Maybe they just installed a wrong filter, but it had nothing to do with it not having an anti-drain back valve.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C350
My question is, why would Jiffy Lube even feel confident enough to service a Mercedes. They should of told you they could not do it but of they are just in it for the moeny. They do not have any of the electronics required to do so or even a vacuum system for the recommended way to change it. Yes they can drain it from the bottom but this is not a Ford. I would never take my car to a quick/cheap oil change place. I spent too much money on my car to have it service by two fat guys named Burt and Bob.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:46 PM

+1 for that. Once I was out of town and my wife brought the land rover into JL. The only thing that saved me was nobody there knew how to pop the hood ... the release handle was on the passenger side. She told me they spent like 10 mins looking around for it before telling her they couldn't do it. I'd rather her drive an extra 1000 miles over than have JL service the car.

Originally Posted by amoffitt
My question is, why would Jiffy Lube even feel confident enough to service a Mercedes. They should of told you they could not do it but of they are just in it for the moeny. They do not have any of the electronics required to do so or even a vacuum system for the recommended way to change it. Yes they can drain it from the bottom but this is not a Ford. I would never take my car to a quick/cheap oil change place. I spent too much money on my car to have it service by two fat guys named Burt and Bob.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Hey guys, sorry it's taken so long for me to reply I've just been pretty frustrated and didn't feel like talking about the situation. I finally got my car back and running as good as new!! I had Alfano take apart the engine to see just how much damage was done, only to find out that I didn't need a new engine. The intake camshaft adjuster and the center valve were damaged causing the check engine light to come on. $2900 later my car is back!!!! Thank you for all the suggestions and I hope that my situation can help some of you. Bottom line, if your car rattles on the start up, check your intake camshaft adjuster. Now I just have to take Jiffy lube to small claims court and try to get my money back.
Just the read this whole thread and wowww that's just crazy. Dillon, hope you get your money back and remember ..you live and learn.

Also I know somebody who works at JL and he told me to never go there cuz 80% of the mechanics have no fu*%$ clue what they're doing lol
Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 PM

2012 Mercedes C250
CONCLUSION

Hey everybody, thank you so much for your help and lending an ear to my venting about this whole difficult situation. My car is now FIXED! They replaced the camshaft adjuster and center valve. This cost about $2800. It's now been three months since it's been fixed and the motor is purrin!! ;-) I took all of the invoices I had and had one last conversation with the Jiffy Lube Manager and of course was told they will not pay for it. After trying to get him to change his mind I was then told "No is the answer if you don't like it, take us to court." So I did. Last Friday 04/18/2014 was my court date, today I got the ruling in the mail, I WON!!! Jiffy lube now owes me $2800 under court order!!

A little piece of advice if you did make the same mistake I made. Save yourself months worth of headaches, get it fixed and take them to court. I had a letter from MBUSA saying it was Jiffy Lubes fault so that was my main peice of evidence. I had all of the invoices, letters, work orders and a short one page version of my whole story with a table of contents in a binder that I gave to the judge and a duplicate I had for myself. You only get five minutes to tell your side of the story so highlight your main points and stick with that. Try to think of how they will counter and write down a few points you can counter back with when it's your turn and then that's it. I was in front of the judge for only about 15 minutes. It's a casual type of court setting but it doesn't hurt to be the best dressed in the room, I don't know if it helped but it gave me more confidence. This is the end of my story, and THANK YOU SO MUCH for helping me get through this whole F***ed up situation!!

Last edited by Dillonb1987; 04-25-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
Nice job. Jiffy lube is liable for this stuff, but they will fight any large payment for sure. I just wish they would refuse to service the car if they don't have right right parts.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Great ending and thanks for posting and educating us all on the reality of this type of case. Smart work!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:56 AM

I had a letter from MBUSA saying it was Jiffy Lubes fault
Very curious of the details of this letter. Care to share?

In any case, I'm glad you're going to get your money back.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:04 PM

2009 C300 4Matic Sport + Premium 2
Just a simple word of advice. NEVER take your car to those places. EVER!

A few years ago my wife went there (without telling me first) and when she left the place, all the dash lights came on after 2 minutes. She called the place back and they came over saying it was nothing and just added a bit of oil. When she got back home and told me this I was freaking out. Upon my own inspection they had forgotten to put back engine oil, the car had no oil!

Ever since then the car had clunking noises coming from the engine. When I called back the same BS story "everything was fine when she left sir, blah blah". She could of easily won this in court but she sold the car a few months after instead she didn't want to keep it.

Just go a reputable indie dealer. Stay away from these places.

Last edited by RavenMDX; 04-26-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:04 PM

2011 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Ultrasport, 2010 Subaru Forester
Thanks for sharing your experience with us and so glad that it worked out for you. I have to agree with everyone that this is a lesson to be learned for us all-stay away from unqualified service centers!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:37 PM

2012 Mercedes C250
Originally Posted by Pete7874
Very curious of the details of this letter. Care to share?

In any case, I'm glad you're going to get your money back.
I will post the letter ASAP.