C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MBUSA Says I need a new engine!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250
MBUSA Says I need a new engine!!

11/20/2013

I bought my 2012 Mercedes C250 used and after a couple months my Service B indicator came on. So I looked it up and there was a lot of checking and evaluating but the main thing was an oil change. So I took my car to Jiffy Lube thinking they were competent professionals that can take care of my car... THEY AREN'T! Soon after my oil change I started to notice the initial crank up was taking a little longer then usual and there was a bit of a rattle once it did start. After a day or two of this happening the check engine light came on, so I took it to the Mercedes Dealership. They said that the WRONG oil filter and WRONG oil was put in by Jiffy Lube. The dealership flushed the oil and put a new oil filter on and reset the check engine light. It stayed off for a day then came back on. I took it back and they replaced the Camshaft Cylinoid, reset the check engine light and gave it back. Again it stayed off for a day and came back on, so I took it to the dealership again. This time they kept my car for a month doing tests and came to the conclusion that the oil filter that Jiffy Lube put in caused damage to the inside of the engine and now needs to be replaced for $17,000!!!!! And is NOT covered under warranty because of the "AFTER MARKET" oil filter Jiffy Lube used. Now little ol' me is stuck in a fight with two giant corporations saying it's not their fault. My car is now parked in my driveway for good until this is resolved because I don't want to cause more damage and be blamed for it. Has ANYBODY been stuck in a similar situation with any car? Please help, I just don't know what to do.

11/22/2013

So as of today here is whats going on. The day I posted this I took my car to a competent Mercedes service center, other then the puppets at the dealership. They replaced my camshaft cylinoid censor saying they were 99% sure this would fix the problem but I still have to deal with the damage that has been done. I'm not a negative guy but I knew that the check engine light would come back on and they assured me that it wouldn't. I didn't drive it at all yesterday and the second time I started it today, the check engine light came back on!!! Needless to say I took it back to the shop and they will get back to me on Monday. I then called the Mercedes dealership service dept. and had the service manager tell me exactly why the oil filter caused the problem, this is what he told me. And please tell me if this sounds completely ridiculous!

The Mercedes oil filter retains pressure/oil in it when the car is off so that it gets the oil where it needs to go almost instantly. The "wrong" oil filter that was used allows the oil to drain and lose pressure while the car is off. Because of this, the oil filter didn't get the oil to parts that needed to be lubricated fast enough causing metal on metal grinding. This is why they saw metal shards in the oil and light scaring on the cylinoid when they opened up the valve cover. Because of these two things MBUSA condemned my engine and drew a red flag on my warranty saying the type of metal they found is proof enough that the engine is totaled.

I talked to my insurance company and they say they would most likely cover this type of damage. I'm not sure but if they do, that kind of sounds like my best option at this time. Any objections?
Old 11-23-2013, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
If you take any car to Jiffy Lube, I hate to say it, but you have it coming to you. I'm sorry that it happened, but if you drive a first class motor, at least take it to a first class facility. I hope you reach a resolution soon.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Never been in this situation but I would sue the hell out of Jiffy Lube (Since they are reliable for the work done) get media attention and all if you live in the U.S

Last edited by snowmuch; 11-23-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 c, 2014 c, 2013 E, 2014 ML BT, 2016 E, 2016 GLE, 2017 S550(current), 2020 GLE450(current)
1. never ever bring your car to 3rd low party companies like pepboys & jiffy lube. they told me that I ordered wrong tires because i have wider rear tires than front on IS350 rwd. lol.

2. My old old chrysler's trans oil was change at local jiffy. Guess what?
They forgot to put new oil in. after 2 hours of highway trip, car completely broke down. jiffy only covered trans oil and towing fee."....F@#$@ I had to get different used trans after 5000miles.

3. insurance fixes everything.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:32 AM

C63 GT3RS F800R
If it was me I would sue jiffy lube for the $$$ amount needed to fix your car and also for wasting your time and causing you stress.
I would be very offense towards them...
Well bro keep us updated and good luck with the situation.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
sue them and look online for an engine from a total loss car.
you can sometimes find good low utilized engines for less then 3k
Old 11-23-2013, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
When I was in college I had a new Acura Integra that was taken to Jiffy Lube for every service. After the fifth oil change, they stripped the oil plug threads and just put a rubber stopper in and came out to put the blame on "whoever" changed the oil before....
As straight forward as it was and with absolute proof in hand, I had to have a lawyer draft a letter stating my intent to sue before they paid for 100% of the repairs and a rental car.
You will have to get serious and keep on them but it appear that you have the documented proof you need to hold their feet to the flame.
Anyhow, after my experience during my poor years in college, I either do it myself, take it to the dealer or use an Indy shop that I confirm knows what they are doing.
Good Luck!!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Wrong oil for a short period of time will not damage an engine. It is not good for it but will not cause catastrophic failure. Fully understanding what they did with the oil filter could be the cause. Wrong size element. O rings in the wrong place etc could cause trouble.
The fact that there is visible wear metal is a big worry.

Try & take a representative oil sample after the car has run & is warm & get it to Blackstone or Wearcheck or whoever you prefer. Analysis will give us a reasonable idea of what is going on. If their are large particles of metal you need a wear debris analysis because an ICP or AA will not read the big stuff. This analysis might give your lawyer some proper ammunition.

It is a great pity that we don't have a sample of the oil the dealer chucked out. Ask them if they retained a sample. They might well have.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-23-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG

The place where you got your oil change done has nice reputation
Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 AM

CL55, S550, 450SL
Out of curiosity, what oil did Jiffy lube put in your car and does it say on your invoice which filter they installed with a part number? I hope they at least put synthetic oil!! Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't synthetic oil leave an oily film on the metal surfaces even when the engine is off which prevents engine wear at startup??
Old 11-25-2013, 07:51 AM

13 Jeep JKU Sahara w/4" lift Kit & the works,2015 Toyota Sienna XLE,2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
my Question to the dealership would be...does the oil filter hold the pressure if the car sits for a month not driven??? Their theory of oil filter holding pressurized oil is BS.....some how some parts in the engine failed and were intorduced into the engine and not caught by the filter element that caused the damage......a simple oil and filter change will not cause a total engine faliure.....especially is the filter is like what we have on our W203's with absolutely no metal present...just the filter cartridge...if they replaced the seolnoid..may be some metal chips broke off from the old solenoid itself and were introduced into the engine...not sure what this solenoid looks like, but there is a possibility....

Sue the S.H.I.T out of both Jiffy lube and the dealer.....some one has to foot the bill ...let their lawyers fight it out...and dont worry get a rental pay for it out of pocket and you will get every dime paid for....this is AMERICA...for a brand new top of the line car for which you pay top dollars some one better be liable for the damage.....

Javvy
Old 11-25-2013, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
What is happening Dillon ? Any good news ?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911
never heard of insurance taking care of a mechanical issue
Old 11-25-2013, 09:09 PM

2013 c-class
This is crazy and unfortunate story. Makes you wonder about Mercedes and German cars for that matter. They may be nicer but if you do one thing wrong and you'll pay for it. Japanese and American cars are so much more forgiving. I believe I even heard someone not changing their oil on their American van for like >100Kkm with no problem.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:14 AM

2010 C300
all this just to save maybe $50 for an oil change from the dealer
Old 11-26-2013, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by victort
Spoken with authority from high up on the pedestal.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:33 AM

2010 C300
Originally Posted by Carsy
thank you
Old 11-26-2013, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I was in the same situation last year with my c230. The Dealership put a low amount of transmission fluid in my transmission causing for it to change gears very harshly. They told me that the whole trans needs to be replaced and that it would cost a few thousand dollars.

I took it to an independent shop and they just simply added a quart or two of fluid and the trans was good as new again.
It was extremely stressful being put up against these repairs, and extremely hard to fight the dealerships.
My biggest recommendation would be like many above to lawyer up and hold someone accountable for the repairs.

For future reference, the dealership only charges $99 for oil and filter changes, which really isn't too bad in my opinion

Good Luck and keep us updated
Old 11-28-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C250
Originally Posted by Peydidy
For future reference, the dealership only charges $99 for oil and filter changes, which really isn't too bad in my opinion
And how much one should expect Stealership charge for the labor to change oil?
I took delivery of my spankin' brand new C class few months ago. Stealership repeatedly told me that it cost $250 for oil change.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C0d3Sp4c3
I took delivery of my spankin' brand new C class few months ago. Stealership repeatedly told me that it cost $250 for oil change.

Same with my dealership they dont do just oil change. They want to do a full service A with a bunch of rip off
Old 11-28-2013, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C0d3Sp4c3

I actually had my oil changed at Mercedes Benz of Pleasanton this last week on my 2009 c300 for only $55

The standard oil change and oil filter with labor at my dealership is $99.
Amazon local had a promo for a $100 certificate for service at most Mercedes dealerships, Pleasanton being one of them

My After the certificate and tax I paid $5 at the dealership and $50 to amazon for a total of a $55 oil change and filter, plus they cleaned my car better then any car wash I have ever been too
Old 11-29-2013, 02:53 PM

2009 CL63, 2013 GL550
Originally Posted by victort
Came here to say exactly this. I'm not on a high horse, you just don't take MB or any German car to JiffyLube or similar. My oil changes in each Benz cost 125, whether its dealer or indie. You can try to cut corners by cheaping out on maintenance, but the only person you'll ever hurt is yourself.

Originally Posted by Carsy
If having someone qualified to do the work properly and paying more for it puts me on a pedestal, so be it. I'm not the one b****ing about engine problems :p
Old 11-30-2013, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mr_Clifton
Came here to say exactly this. I'm not on a high horse, you just don't take MB or any German car to JiffyLube or similar. My oil changes in each Benz cost 125, whether its dealer or indie. You can try to cut corners by cheaping out on maintenance, but the only person you'll ever hurt is yourself.

If having someone qualified to do the work properly and paying more for it puts me on a pedestal, so be it. I'm not the one b****ing about engine problems :p
Old 11-30-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 400E
Originally Posted by Dillonb1987
11/20/2013
I then called the Mercedes dealership service dept. and had the service manager tell me exactly why the oil filter caused the problem, this is what he told me. And please tell me if this sounds completely ridiculous!

The Mercedes oil filter retains pressure/oil in it when the car is off so that it gets the oil where it needs to go almost instantly. The "wrong" oil filter that was used allows the oil to drain and lose pressure while the car is off. Because of this, the oil filter didn't get the oil to parts that needed to be lubricated fast enough causing metal on metal grinding. This is why they saw metal shards in the oil and light scaring on the cylinoid when they opened up the valve cover. Because of these two things MBUSA condemned my engine and drew a red flag on my warranty saying the type of metal they found is proof enough that the engine is totaled.

I talked to my insurance company and they say they would most likely cover this type of damage. I'm not sure but if they do, that kind of sounds like my best option at this time. Any objections?
This sounds like your delaer is trying to get out of doing a warrant
repair off a known & documented issue. The failed balance shaft.

There were a run of balance shafts with "soft metal" on the gear.
The metal shards in your oil

The oil filter did not cause this. When I get home later this morning
I'll find the bulletin on WIS as well as information on what the
oil filter does and doesn't do.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Balance shaft issues on M271 Evo engines? I've never heard of that. Please post info when you get a chance.

(I don't see why the dealer is responsible at all, btw. Jiffy Lube broke the car. If anyone other than the car owner is responsible, it's Jiffy Lube)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBUSA Says I need a new engine!!