C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New facelift style OEM look aftermarket tail light for 2008-2014

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Thanks Jimmy for the headsup! Just placed an order for mine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-TRUE-OEM-LOOK-08-11-MERCEDES-W204-LED-LIGHT-BAR-RED-CLEAR-TAIL-LIGHTS-C63-/121354846284?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
Old 06-08-2014, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by Sidv22
Thanks Jimmy for the headsup! Just placed an order for mine

Depo True Look 08 11 Mercedes W204 LED Light Bar Red Clear Tail Lights C63 | eBay
Np. Thanks goes to Richard2011 for finding them and LandSeaAir for buying and confirming they work with pictures. And thanks to you for posting the clear ones. These are gonna sell out fast.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
Just installed them and am happy to report they work perfectly, even the rear fog! They look EXACT to the OEM 2012 lights and the resistors are completely silent. I am so happy, I've been waiting for a product like this for over year. I got the tinted ones which I was unsure about, but really like in person. The only part that's noticeably tinted is the white turn signal part, and the tint is very light. The tint has an aggressive, but OEM look to it and reminds me of the SL55 tail lights. I also really like the amber turn signals, all the OEM 2012+ are red, amber is much cooler imo.

For anyone who hasn't been following along, I have a 2008 C300 with the premium 2 package (with the OEM LED turn signals), the auction for these tail lights says they don't work with OEM LED turn signals, but they do! I just hope there isn't a hidden reason why the seller said these lights aren't compatible with OEM LED turns, like a potential fire

Not bad for $270

[IMG]http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h336/doworklax09/ScreenShot2014-06-08at22722PM.png[IMG]
Beautiful! I must pick up a pair now. lol @ your dog.

Can you get a better pic showing the tint from afar?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Looks good

Now you just have to worry about quality in the long run and the other related questions:

Will it hold up and not lack premium material?

Any condensation issues?

Resister overheating issues/buzzing. (Let someone press on the brake and analyize any sounds that arise.)
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Now I see the difference between this and the one I bought. Although I can't exactly make out the wording on the top but does say Depo on the bottom corner. I see a slight difference in design if you look at the black foam and the plastic under it. Overall design seems very identical to oem. But non the less this is way better that the other ones that been around for a while with shorter and uneven parking lights and shorter turns.

Current ebay ones
New facelift style OEM look aftermarket tail light for 2008-2014-screenshot_2014-06-08-18-54-54_zpssydqjkc2.png

Mine with German writing and the date code grid used by mercedes
New facelift style OEM look aftermarket tail light for 2008-2014-20140226_200829_zpsq3ao3eih.jpg

Last edited by aznmode; 06-08-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63, 335i
so what does this recall involve? do they swap out any parts on the light itself, or just the connector?

i don't want to have to throw the OEMs back in just for a quick visit to the dealer
Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Originally Posted by tofu-
so what does this recall involve? do they swap out any parts on the light itself, or just the connector?

i don't want to have to throw the OEMs back in just for a quick visit to the dealer
Someone posted a pic of the notice letter below so it should give you an idea. It's upside down though.
https://mbworld.org/forums/6068163-post188.html
Old 06-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Got delivery of the tail lights! Now I am going to try them on as soon as I am home. fingers crossed and will keep this thread posted.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 PP
I purchased the smoked set. Total success! No error codes, the quality feels/looks great, and the resistors came with 3M tape so it was a very very easy install.

p.s. don't mind the bumper mark -- the girlfriend backed it into a pole at her university

New facelift style OEM look aftermarket tail light for 2008-2014-ibma25b.jpg
New facelift style OEM look aftermarket tail light for 2008-2014-wlz63ri.jpg

Last edited by editedbymark; 06-12-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Congrats Mark. Looks good! All that waiting paid off finally. So no buzzing on the resistors? Where did you place them? Those will get hot.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
Originally Posted by editedbymark
I purchased the smoked set. Total success! No error codes, the quality feels/looks great, and the resistors came with 3M tape so it was a very very easy install.
The ones you purchased were from fishcake (ebay)? The Depo ones?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Got delivery of the tail lights! Now I am going to try them on as soon as I am home. fingers crossed and will keep this thread posted.
Congrats Sid. I'm sure you won't have any issues.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Originally Posted by black lavender
The ones you purchased were from fishcake (ebay)? The Depo ones?
Correct. Check the OP. I updated with links
Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 PM

2013 C63 PP
Originally Posted by aznmode
Congrats Mark. Looks good! All that waiting paid off finally. So no buzzing on the resistors? Where did you place them? Those will get hot.
No buzzing!

And that was actually my next question for you guys. I have them currently placed right by the tail lamp opening where I could find an even surface. Is overheating more prone in certain areas than others? The 2 resistors have wire lengths of about 10" or so. Also, will placing the resistors relatively close to each other pose an overheating issue as well?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
No buzzing!

And that was actually my next question for you guys. I have them currently placed right by the tail lamp opening where I could find an even surface. Is overheating more prone in certain areas than others? The 2 resistors have wire lengths of about 10" or so. Also, will placing the resistors relatively close to each other pose an overheating issue as well?
There's a lot of space on the right so that's not going to be an issue. But I would put them behind the liner (the rear sam area). There should be some foam on the bottom. Cut out the foam to expose the metal and put the resistors there. I don't think putting them together would cause too much of an issue but put some space in between just to be safe.

The left side, I haven't gotten a change to look but there's less space there.

I don't know about the resistors on those but the one I tested when I attached a resistor before I got a FL sam got hot like the tail light bulbs so the key I think is not putting it near or on the fabric liner or foam or anything you think will burn.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:30 AM

Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Got delivery of the lights and tried to install them but the OEM's are a b1tch to remove. i was able to remove 3 out 4 nuts but the 4th is in a really awkward place. maybe I am using the wrong tool. what tool did you guys use?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Got delivery of the lights and tried to install them but the OEM's are a b1tch to remove. i was able to remove 3 out 4 nuts but the 4th is in a really awkward place. maybe I am using the wrong tool. what tool did you guys use?
Small socket wrench set
Old 06-12-2014, 10:34 AM

2013 C63 PP
There's a lot of space on the right so that's not going to be an issue. But I would put them behind the liner (the rear sam area). There should be some foam on the bottom. Cut out the foam to expose the metal and put the resistors there. I don't think putting them together would cause too much of an issue but put some space in between just to be safe.

The left side, I haven't gotten a change to look but there's less space there.

I don't know about the resistors on those but the one I tested when I attached a resistor before I got a FL sam got hot like the tail light bulbs so the key I think is not putting it near or on the fabric liner or foam or anything you think will burn.
Cool, thanks for the input man. I'm going to move them once I'm back in town. Is there a trick to removing the resistors because of the 3M tape? Here's another pic for fun (can't wait to get the license plate bulbs switched out)

New facelift style OEM look aftermarket tail light for 2008-2014-7lvfz4f.jpg
Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Cool, thanks for the input man. I'm going to move them once I'm back in town. Is there a trick to removing the resistors because of the 3M tape? Here's another pic for fun (can't wait to get the license plate bulbs switched out)
Looking good. Debadged I see. I probably won't be able to help you with removing the resistor since I don't have the harness yet to check. Why are you trying to remove the resistors? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:05 PM

2013 C63 PP
Looking good. Debadged I see. I probably won't be able to help you with removing the resistor since I don't have the harness yet to check. Why are you trying to remove the resistors? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

Sorry, I meant harness. But yeah it's likely that I'll have to move them soon because they are in fact getting very hot. On the left side, they are mounted on the top portion next to the tail light. I will take pics if I have time to this afternoon but I'm certain it should be moved to the bottom where you recommended. And like you said there isn't much room at all so the ambient temperature of that left side must be fairly high.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300

After seeing this picture, I think I might bite.

Only thing holding me back is the resistors. They look huge in the pictures on ebay.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:45 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
I'd rather go OEM, than aftermarket. These may seem amazing as a first result, but long run durability is what you have to worry about. Remember, anything not approved by Mercedes is worrisome. In this case, having resistors that run hot could bring up numerous disasters, as well as weather conditions affecting how they run.

What if it is hot outside? Plus the heat from the resistor? Melting can occur/loss of functionality.

Buzzing can become present in the future due to "wear and tear." You are "resisting" the electrical current from the Lamps. Thus, you will hear the electric not reaching the area of the tail lights.

Also, you are pretty much "tricking" the rear service acquisition module into thinking it supports LEDs in which case it does not.

Anyways, this is my opinion on this and I hope you take not on how wording is used as future tense. This means you may or may not have any issues that arise.

With that new recall with Mercedes replacing tail light connectors, hopefully these tail lights/resistors don't cause any problems. Remember, Mercedes can deny you service of they see any modification, even if it is a recall...

Last edited by w204_Generic; 06-12-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Very valid points. Another method is to get a FL sam and just not use the harness that came with these. It looks like the connector is still the same on the ballast side of the tail light. The hard part is finding the FL sam.

Now that you mentioned it, I'm wondering if Mercedes will deny the recall on mine since I have the FL tail lights with FL sam. I'd hate to have to swap them out again.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63, 335i
Originally Posted by w204_Generic
Remember, Mercedes can deny you service of they see any modification, even if it is a recall...
No, they can't. The recall seems to be for the connector, not the light (unless the light housing damaged, too). They have to replace the connector even if you're driving around a rebuilt salvage vehicle.

I'd rather go OEM, than aftermarket. These may seem amazing as a first result, but long run durability is what you have to worry about. Remember, anything not approved by Mercedes is worrisome. In this case, having resistors that run hot could bring up numerous disasters, as well as weather conditions affecting how they run.
Man, you sure are a debbie downer. Do you buy mercedes branded washer fluid too? Wouldn't want to cause that washer pump to explode.

Also, you are pretty much "tricking" the rear service acquisition module into thinking it supports LEDs in which case it does not.
So what? Worst case scenario, you blow a fuse or trip a cold/hot bulb check error. Woopdy doo. There's no miracle technology mercedes implements on their lighting system. People have been using resistors to retrofit lighting solutions for years now without issue.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:41 AM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
No, they can't. The recall seems to be for the connector, not the light (unless the light housing damaged, too). They have to replace the connector even if you're driving around a rebuilt salvage vehicle.
This comment made me laugh due to the plain stupidity and/or just mental incomprehensible thoughts you possess if you actually think this is the case. If they obviously see aftermarket tail lights WITH resistors, this gives them a reason to not replace any connectors for free, even if it is a recall. Sure they will give you service, I shouldn't have said denied service, I meant denied FREE service. This gives them a reason to charge you for the connector issue, since you want to be foolish and do something not recommended/approved. They could use many reasons to deny you free service. They could also void any electrical warranties you may obtain.

I have experiences at Mercedes-Benz dealerships due to the fact that I know and help many Mercedes-Benz technicians. They are very strict on this type of stuff. For instance, If the service adviser/field rep spots a Mercedes inside the dealerships bodyshop, without the proper ticket/diagnosis for the reason why the car is there, the technicians can and will get fired. It's quite simple to follow along even if you have the lowest IQ. Same goes with warranty work. If you modify anything pertaining to the subject of manner, that causes a fault/error, you have to own up to it. Individuals like you is what they hate to work with; liars/deceivers, to get free work done even though it was your fault since you had to modify what was not intended to be modified. It may or may not be the case for the recall work for this connector, but I'm sure if they spot those resistors and LED tail lights on your pre-facelift W204, they will charge you for the connector replacement and you would have to prove to them that it was not your modification that caused the connector to melt which is difficult. (Since resistors run very hot, they can say the high temperatures of the resistors were the cause of the melting.)

Man, you sure are a debbie downer. Do you buy mercedes branded washer fluid too? Wouldn't want to cause that washer pump to explode.
I am not even going to make this response long because this comment is obviously a waste of space/time. Everyone knows OEM>Aftermarket.......Do you not know that?

So what? Worst case scenario, you blow a fuse or trip a cold/hot bulb check error. Woopdy doo. There's no miracle technology mercedes implements on their lighting system. People have been using resistors to retrofit lighting solutions for years now without issue.
Actually there is and it's without resistors. Simply reprogram your rear SAM and you will not have any issues= A miracle lighting solution. Also, it's not so 'woopdy doo' anymore if you get a blown resistor during after ours driving and then the driver behind you has to suffer from your stupidity. Your tail lights could fail causing the driver to not be aware if you are braking or not. Without resistors, your tail light brake would illuminate halfway and your rear fog lights will be lit. This would act as a blinding factor to the motorists behind you, since you are using them unintentionally on a clear day, without fog. The drive also may not know when you are braking, especially more elderly drivers.

Also, especially since you are receiving both the lights and resistors shipped from overseas, good luck for longevity and practicality.

Last edited by w204_Generic; 06-13-2014 at 10:54 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New facelift style OEM look aftermarket tail light for 2008-2014