C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New facelift style OEM look aftermarket tail light for 2008-2014

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63, 335i
Wow.. Who pissed in your mouth this morning? So much rage in your post.

1) recalls must be performed on the OEM parts (the connector in this case) despite any modifications to the vehicle. This is not a service under warranty. You have the two mixed up.

For example, if you came in with a tuned vehicle and the head bolts were recalled, they'd have to replace them no questions asked.

2) you cannot make a blanket statement that oem>aftermarket. Go ahead and argue with everyone who has a tune, different wheels, or coilovers that their car performed better stock. Now, specifically pertaining to lights, I can think of several instances where aftermarket has been better than OEM. car manufacturers generally don't make their own lights.

Now, specifically these tail lights, you're ****ting on them without even trying them. Go join a wine tasting forum, you'd fit right in with that kind of nonsense.

3) your scenario with the fog light popping on would just lead a driver to believe you're riding your brakes, not that you're going ***** out and never braking. I don't see how the latter even makes sense in your head. Why would the addition of more red lights on your tails logically indicate a lack of braking?

Originally Posted by w204_Generic
This comment made me laugh due to the plain stupidity and/or just mental incomprehensible thoughts you possess if you actually think this is the case. If they obviously see aftermarket tail lights WITH resistors, this gives them a reason to not replace any connectors for free, even if it is a recall. Sure they will give you service, I shouldn't have said denied service, I meant denied FREE service. This gives them a reason to charge you for the connector issue, since you want to be foolish and do something not recommended/approved. They could use many reasons to deny you free service. They could also void any electrical warranties you may obtain.

I have experiences at Mercedes-Benz dealerships due to the fact that I know and help many Mercedes-Benz technicians. They are very strict on this type of stuff. For instance, If the service adviser/field rep spots a Mercedes inside the dealerships bodyshop, without the proper ticket/diagnosis for the reason why the car is there, the technicians can and will get fired. It's quite simple to follow along even if you have the lowest IQ. Same goes with warranty work. If you modify anything pertaining to the subject of manner, that causes a fault/error, you have to own up to it. Individuals like you is what they hate to work with; liars/deceivers, to get free work done even though it was your fault since you had to modify what was not intended to be modified. It may or may not be the case for the recall work for this connector, but I'm sure if they spot those resistors and LED tail lights on your pre-facelift W204, they will charge you for the connector replacement and you would have to prove to them that it was not your modification that caused the connector to melt which is difficult. (Since resistors run very hot, they can say the high temperatures of the resistors were the cause of the melting.)

I am not even going to make this response long because this comment is obviously a waste of space/time. Everyone knows OEM>Aftermarket.......Do you not know that?

Actually there is and it's without resistors. Simply reprogram your rear SAM and you will not have any issues= A miracle lighting solution. Also, it's not so 'woopdy doo' anymore if you get a blown resistor during after ours driving and then the driver behind you has to suffer from your stupidity. Your tail lights could fail causing the driver to not be aware if you are braking or not. Without resistors, your tail light brake would illuminate halfway and your rear fog lights will be lit. This would act as a blinding factor to the motorists behind you, since you are using them unintentionally on a clear day, without fog. The drive also may not know when you are braking, especially more elderly drivers.

Also, especially since you are receiving both the lights and resistors shipped from overseas, good luck for longevity and practicality.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:53 AM

c63, 335i
You're really crapping on a thread meant to help people, for no reason. All the fear mongering serves no purpose. A platform won't progress if no one will try new things<br />
<br />
I understand you may be infuriated that you paid 4x the price for an OEM set and SAM, but there's no point in trying to ruin the potential savings for others.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
This comment made me laugh due to the plain stupidity and/or just mental incomprehensible thoughts you possess if you actually think this is the case. If they obviously see aftermarket tail lights WITH resistors, this gives them a reason to not replace any connectors for free, even if it is a recall. Sure they will give you service, I shouldn't have said denied service, I meant denied FREE service. This gives them a reason to charge you for the connector issue, since you want to be foolish and do something not recommended/approved. They could use many reasons to deny you free service. They could also void any electrical warranties you may obtain.

I have experiences at Mercedes-Benz dealerships due to the fact that I know and help many Mercedes-Benz technicians. They are very strict on this type of stuff. For instance, If the service adviser/field rep spots a Mercedes inside the dealerships bodyshop, without the proper ticket/diagnosis for the reason why the car is there, the technicians can and will get fired. It's quite simple to follow along even if you have the lowest IQ. Same goes with warranty work. If you modify anything pertaining to the subject of manner, that causes a fault/error, you have to own up to it. Individuals like you is what they hate to work with; liars/deceivers, to get free work done even though it was your fault since you had to modify what was not intended to be modified. It may or may not be the case for the recall work for this connector, but I'm sure if they spot those resistors and LED tail lights on your pre-facelift W204, they will charge you for the connector replacement and you would have to prove to them that it was not your modification that caused the connector to melt which is difficult. (Since resistors run very hot, they can say the high temperatures of the resistors were the cause of the melting.)

I am not even going to make this response long because this comment is obviously a waste of space/time. Everyone knows OEM>Aftermarket.......Do you not know that?

Actually there is and it's without resistors. Simply reprogram your rear SAM and you will not have any issues= A miracle lighting solution. Also, it's not so 'woopdy doo' anymore if you get a blown resistor during after ours driving and then the driver behind you has to suffer from your stupidity. Your tail lights could fail causing the driver to not be aware if you are braking or not. Without resistors, your tail light brake would illuminate halfway and your rear fog lights will be lit. This would act as a blinding factor to the motorists behind you, since you are using them unintentionally on a clear day, without fog. The drive also may not know when you are braking, especially more elderly drivers.

Also, especially since you are receiving both the lights and resistors shipped from overseas, good luck for longevity and practicality.
No one listen to this goon wasting his time arguing for something he knows absolutely nothing about.

He's completely speculating that the resistors impair longevity of the tail light and that they just may fail (what are you basing this on???) Then he goes on to talk about how the tail lights without resistors are extremely dangerous to motorists because the brake lights are dimly lit....well the tail lights being discussed have resistors. Lastly, my brother had a 2007 S550 and he installed the exact same thing, 2010 facelift LED tail lights with resistors in order to trick the car into using the LED lights with no error messages. They worked absolutely perfectly for the 3 years he had them installed before he sold the car. This is simple 12v wiring, its not that complex!

The only thing he is half right about is the combination of the melting connector and the modifications may void any recall or warranty work. First, my car is out of warranty so this doesn't matter for me (I repaired my melted connector myself), and for the people that are under warranty, all they have to do is swap their original taillights in before they take it to the dealer. In the time it took w204 generic to write that paragraph explaining how he knows technicians, you could probably put your OEM lights back in. I could, however, see a reprogrammed SAM being an issue with voiding warranties, and that's not something that can easily be put back!!

So yes, generic is likely mad he spent more than double what I spent for the same result. The best part is these resistor converters can be used on OEM 2012 tail lights too, someday I may buy OEM tail lights if the DEPOs wear out and I get tired of the smoked look.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM

c63, 335i
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
No one listen to this goon wasting his time arguing for something he knows absolutely nothing about.

He's completely speculating that the resistors impair longevity of the tail light and that they just may fail (what are you basing this on???) Then he goes on to talk about how the tail lights without resistors are extremely dangerous to motorists because the brake lights are dimly lit....well the tail lights being discussed have resistors. Lastly, my brother had a 2007 S550 and he installed the exact same thing, 2010 facelift LED tail lights with resistors in order to trick the car into using the LED lights with no error messages. They worked absolutely perfectly for the 3 years he had them installed before he sold the car. This is simple 12v wiring, its not that complex!

The only thing he is half right about is the combination of the melting connector and the modifications may void any recall or warranty work. First, my car is out of warranty so this doesn't matter for me (I repaired my melted connector myself), and for the people that are under warranty, all they have to do is swap their original taillights in before they take it to the dealer. In the time it took w204 generic to write that paragraph explaining how he knows technicians, you could probably put your OEM lights back in. I could, however, see a reprogrammed SAM being an issue with voiding warranties, and that's not something that can easily be put back!!

So yes, generic is likely mad he spent more than double what I spent for the same result. The best part is these resistor converters can be used on OEM 2012 tail lights too, someday I may buy OEM tail lights if the DEPOs wear out and I get tired of the smoked look.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately lol) most of us upgrading to these tails are already out of warranty. Recall work can never be denied really. It's a matter of federal law, not the dealerships discretion. I think the only circumstances under which a vehicle will no longer be eligible for recall work is if it has a title for destruction (different from rebuilt salvage). Or, of course, if the part being recalled has been replaced by something else. Even then, I think you could send the dealer a receipt for the charges incurred to "fix" the issue, and you will be reimbursed within reason.

The resistors failing and all that crap seems like a load of speculative nonsense. I have resistors from 60s in some of my electronics that never died on me. Sure as hell am putting a lot more current through those suckers too.

Last edited by tofu-; 06-13-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by tofu-
Wow.. Who pissed in your mouth this morning? So much rage in your post.

1) recalls must be performed on the OEM parts (the connector in this case) despite any modifications to the vehicle. This is not a service under warranty. You have the two mixed up.

For example, if you came in with a tuned vehicle and the head bolts were recalled, they'd have to replace them no questions asked.

2) you cannot make a blanket statement that oem>aftermarket. Go ahead and argue with everyone who has a tune, different wheels, or coilovers that their car performed better stock. Now, specifically pertaining to lights, I can think of several instances where aftermarket has been better than OEM. car manufacturers generally don't make their own lights.

Now, specifically these tail lights, you're ****ting on them without even trying them. Go join a wine tasting forum, you'd fit right in with that kind of nonsense.

3) your scenario with the fog light popping on would just lead a driver to believe you're riding your brakes, not that you're going ***** out and never braking. I don't see how the latter even makes sense in your head. Why would the addition of more red lights on your tails logically indicate a lack of braking?
1.) Did you even read my post? Did you even comprehend what I said? Is your mind really fulfilled with false information from your imagination?

Let me elaborate a little further and more in depth for even the slowest individuals. Like you said, yes, recalls are performed on OEM parts to which the issue in present in. However in this case, the dealership can deny you the FREE recall service, due to the modification you decided to perform. Resistors obviously run hot, therefore can melt/damage any of the surrounding electrical connectors. They can use this excuse to make you pay for the recall and the end result is money in their pocket, since this recall is supposed to be free of charge. Especially resistors that are cheap and shipped from overseas, which is once again,not approved by Mercedes. You would have to spend your hard earned money for that faulty part, plus the labor to perform the connector repair. I was using warranty work as an example so you could hopefully understand and realize what I am trying to communicate with you. Got it?

2.) Sure I can make that statement that aftermarket>OEM in this case. We were talking about the tail lights correct? Why are you bringing up wheels, tunes? I was referring to your eBay tail lights. It costs the manufacturer <$50 to make your DEPO tail lights, and they sell them for $200. You are going to actually explain to me that these poorly assembled eBay tail lights are better than OEM? Really? Even after you explained on the forum when you contacted them, they had no information about their product about it fitting your car.....

I have tried DEPO tail lights before, thinking the same way you did and thought they were a bargain. I have had bad experiences with them. Stop making assumptions please, you need to realize what I have tried before posting/commenting. The tail light lining fell apart, needed a bulb replacement after 3 weeks, and obviously just were another safety hazard.

3.) Yes, it may appear to some advanced drivers that I may be riding the brakes, but some may not realize that I could actually be braking, since the brakes would be half lit and could be hard to determine real braking; especially the elderly. This is quite obvious, so I don't understand how YOU don't understand how this is not a safety hazard. Especially when the rear fog lamps are on, it blinds the driver behind you. How would you feel if some idiot on the road had blinding tail lights just because he was to cheap to buy the real thing. Common sense if you ask me.

With your foolish mindset of your wine tasting comment, are you promoting alcohol use to a minor/underage? That is breaking the rules you agreed to when signing up, and if I really wanted to be an ***, I could report your post and get a moderator in here for promoting drinking ideas to someone underage.

Last edited by w204_Generic; 06-13-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:03 PM

c63, 335i
1.) Did you even read my post? BLAHH BLAHH BLAHHH... WAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
sure as hell won't bother reading this one

cheers
Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport

I am a goon? Elaborate further please....

I am discussing the fact that these cheap resistors may blow/fail and have the result of many errors accommodated by damage as well as improper tail light functionality. In addition, the errors will show up if the dealer performs a diagnostic test; they will see the error codes and void/deny you free service on anything pertaining to the electrical region of the rear of the car. We are talking about the W204 here, not an S-Class. Good for him if he was successful on doing it on the S-Class, notice how my figurative speech is future tense, meaning it "Could" happen; the resistors "could" blow.

If you are out of warranty, there is nothing to worry about, but this recall. If your connector melts, like I have been saying repetitively, they can deny you the free service of this current recall. Why? Because resistors are mounted as well as the aftermarket tail lights on a pre-facelift W204. The field rep and/or service adviser can bring up the high temperatures of the resistors caused the melt to occur

Why would I be mad on something that works properly? Ever hear of the statement, "You get what you pay for?" This statement also can be used here with the tail lights argument.

Anyways, I am not telling you NOT to go aftermaket, I simply stated some factors to worry about when the recall work needs to be done as well as some issues that may arise buy purchasing these tail lights from eBay.

Last edited by w204_Generic; 06-13-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:48 PM

c63, 335i
Hey guys,

Are the light bars supposed to be always illuminated like DRLs? They weren't on my previous lights, nor on these, but I'm wondering if there's a setting somewhere to always have them run.

These lights look great!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:06 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Hey guys,

Are the light bars supposed to be always illuminated like DRLs? They weren't on my previous lights, nor on these, but I'm wondering if there's a setting somewhere to always have them run.

These lights look great!
No they aren't.

Switch on the parking lights during the day then they will always be illuminated.

If on auto, turn light *** once to left.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:12 PM

c63, 335i
Thank you

I dropped one of the nuts into the abyss, so i have to figure out what size those suckers are. the seal seems tight enough though without it.

i drove around for about an hour today in this blazing heat and the resistors were not uncomfortably hot. so far so good
Old 07-16-2014, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
2010 c300
Well it looks like my driver side top parking strip went out on mine so I'm considering buying these new ones on ebay now to replace mine and just sell my FL SAM to offset the cost. This way I will also have my rear shade function back. So how's everyone's tail light holding up?

Also I was thinking, since these come with resistors that brake light is not gonna be fully lit when braking. Can you guys confirm?

My other choice is to try to fix the broken LED on mine but I'm probably looking at 3 hour labor disassembling and soldering but it may turn out it's not the LED.

Also had the tail light connector burn so I had to go back to stock and get that recall done at the dealer. Leaving it this way til I figure out what I want to do.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 PP
Mine are working great. No issues after washing. Resistors aren't overheating. Knock on wood, these have been a great investment.

The brake light brightness when pressed is bright as ever but I honestly haven't compared it to OEM.

Originally Posted by aznmode
Well it looks like my driver side top parking strip went out on mine so I'm considering buying these new ones on ebay now to replace mine and just sell my FL SAM to offset the cost. This way I will also have my rear shade function back. So how's everyone's tail light holding up?

Also I was thinking, since these come with resistors that brake light is not gonna be fully lit when braking. Can you guys confirm?

My other choice is to try to fix the broken LED on mine but I'm probably looking at 3 hour labor disassembling and soldering but it may turn out it's not the LED.

Also had the tail light connector burn so I had to go back to stock and get that recall done at the dealer. Leaving it this way til I figure out what I want to do.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Originally Posted by editedbymark
Mine are working great. No issues after washing. Resistors aren't overheating. Knock on wood, these have been a great investment.

The brake light brightness when pressed is bright as ever but I honestly haven't compared it to OEM.
Thanks Mark. Seller didn't want to mine back btw. How did you get them to take yours back after all these months?

Also can you take daytime pic of your FL tail in day light outdoor. I'm not sure if I want to go smoke or clear turns. I want some tint on it but not too much. Thanks man.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:11 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport

Thanks Mark. Seller didn't want to mine back btw. How did you get them to take yours back after all these months?

Also can you take daytime pic of your FL tail in day light outdoor. I'm not sure if I want to go smoke or clear turns. I want some tint on it but not too much. Thanks man.
aznmode, you already have the facelift rear SAM, so I suggest you just go OEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-W204-C-class-OEM-LED-tail-lamps-taillamps-NEW-C300-C350-C63-/121375889255?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c42911767&vxp=mtr

OEM, that is not badly priced, and therfore you will not have to worry about any issues.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
aznmode, you already have the facelift rear SAM, so I suggest you just go OEM.

Mercedes Benz W204 C Class LED Tail Lamps Taillamps New C300 C350 C63 | eBay

OEM, that is not badly priced, and therfore you will not have to worry about any issues.
Thanks man. You're an awesome help as usual! I have been eying those actually. But that's another $400 out of my pocket. If I get these aftermarket ebay ones, sell my SAM I'll break even. I can use that $400 for a xentry/das which will help me (hopefully) get my steering wheel light back on my FL steering wheel.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport

Thanks man. You're an awesome help as usual! I have been eying those actually. But that's another $400 out of my pocket. If I get these ebay ones, sell my SAM I'll break even. I can use that $400 for a xentry/das which will help me (hopefully) get my steering wheel light back on my FL steering wheel.
No problem! But before you do make up your mind about purchasing anything, let me just tell you that when I get back from college August 1st, I can reprogram your facelift SAM for you so that the rear sunshade works, for free if you want.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
No problem! But before you do make up your mind about purchasing anything, let me just tell you that when I get back from college August 1st, I can reprogram your facelift SAM for you so that the rear sunshade works, for free if you want.
That would be awesome man. Ok I have some thinking to do now. I did originally want to go oem this time around so I don't have to deal with issues in the future. It's just the out of pocket cost right now that's stopping me. And i didn't mention I have a bachelor's party in Las Vegas this weekend and going to Thailand in September so I need to cut spending where I can. So I scrapped the oem idea.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport

That would be awesome man. Ok I have some thinking to do now. I did originally want to go oem this time around so I don't have to deal with issues in the future. It's just the out of pocket cost right now that's stopping me. And i didn't mention I have a bachelor's party in Las Vegas this weekend and going to Thailand in September so I need to cut spending where I can. So I scrapped the oem idea.
Oh okay. Another option is to buy the OEM left and right side tail lights separately. I've seen that show up a couple of times on eBay. One for $100 and the other for another $100, so total= $200 for OEM tail lights.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Oh okay. Another option is to buy the OEM left and right side tail lights separately. I've seen that show up a couple of times on eBay. One for $100 and the other for another $100, so total= $200 for OEM tail lights.
I tried that too and found 2 driver side around$100 each but they both had crack on the lens. The rest are $249 + each. That set for 400 is probably the best deal on ebay.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 AM

'08 Mercedes C300
I have the clear ones.

New facelift style OEM look aftermarket tail light for 2008-2014-akekrdn.jpg

I haven't noticed anything bad about them. They come in a nice package, the load resistors have some sort of super strong double sided tape on them that you can use to stick to the frame (holds up pretty well). And the load resistors are also inside a nice black box that I assume somehow helps with the heat, unlike the load resistors you see that are just wire and a metal piece.

I can take better pics if you want.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Originally Posted by Flawed
I have the clear ones.

I haven't noticed anything bad about them. They come in a nice package, the load resistors have some sort of super strong double sided tape on them that you can use to stick to the frame (holds up pretty well). And the load resistors are also inside a nice black box that I assume somehow helps with the heat, unlike the load resistors you see that are just wire and a metal piece.

I can take better pics if you want.
That looks good. Thank you. I can't tell the difference from oem. Have you noticed if the resistors get too hot to touch?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:22 AM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Here is OEM for comparison: (note that this is not my car nor my pictures, forum member named "caligreenzzz" receives the credit)

Old 07-17-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 ML 400
Rear lights

Its just the picture,

Rear fog on:

Firstly, lights look great! Are these the ones from ebay or the uniquestyle website? Also, the rear fog work as with the factory ones? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 AM

MB C220 AMG
Hello friends, i need only module for my w204 2010.

Where can I buy this only module?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 AM

2013 C63 PP

Hey Jimmy,

They were lenient because I requested a refund within the first month of ownership and got lost in travel for work so they made an exception. Anyway, I have no regrets whatsoever going with smoked over clear, especially for Iridium Silver. Now I just need to pull the trigger and get a few simple aesthetic mods like roof wrap and grille. Here are more pics:

Last edited by editedbymark; 07-18-2014 at 10:45 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New facelift style OEM look aftermarket tail light for 2008-2014