C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Perception

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Jeep a Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Mercedes C300 4MATIC Sport, 2012 Nissan Armada
Perception

No, this really happened...

My wife is in sales, and one of her counterparts just sent her an email explaining that he loves her new car (new used car that is), but he wanted to warn her of the perception people would have of it.

Um, so I'm supposed to go buy a Nissan Maxima, or a Mazda CX-9, or a Ford Fusion? BECAUSE THEY COST THE SAME as what we paid for our C300.

Sometimes I can't stand people.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
"Jealousy in the air tonight, I can tell" - Drake

Outside of a sales perspective, people judged me when I was 18 and had my C, and they still do now that I'm 22.
#Firstworldproblem?

I think your wife's friend was talking about how customers would perceive your wife.
Customer: " Oh wow she has a Mercedes, she must make a lot of money/rip customers off"

My friend's dad does sales and he switched from his E class to a Ford because of the way his customers would view him. If they saw him in a Mercedes they would think he is greedy or not the most economical choice. He misses his Benz and hates the ford.

People can suck, but I'd rather people judge me for the nice things I have rather than the things I don't.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM

2012 Jeep a Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Mercedes C300 4MATIC Sport, 2012 Nissan Armada
Originally Posted by Rodpwnz
"Jealousy in the air tonight, I can tell" - Drake

Outside of a sales perspective, people judged me when I was 18 and had my C, and they still do now that I'm 22.
#Firstworldproblem?

I think your wife's friend was talking about how customers would perceive your wife.
Customer: " Oh wow she has a Mercedes, she must make a lot of money/rip customers off"

My friend's dad does sales and he switched from his E class to a Ford because of the way his customers would view him. If they saw him in a Mercedes they would think he is greedy or not the most economical choice. He misses his Benz and hates the ford.

People can suck, but I'd rather people judge me for the nice things I have rather than the things I don't.
That's exactly what he was saying, but come on people... do a little research... a Ford Fusion would cost me the same as the Benz!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Oh, and we traded a Mini Cooper Countryman for it... which cost more... and is made by BMW
Old 02-26-2014, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 151 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
In my profession if I go to a prospective client and drive my mazda 3 or the van I guarantee that they won't take me seriously or ask for ridiculous discount on my fees (happens every time! and I just walk away from it). If I drive any of my MB vehicles to meet them they look at me differently and won't even bother negotiating anything and just signs the contract. Presenting yourself properly is the game in the business world and if you can't hold your ground and present yourself well you might just be well...one of the guys or gals.

People are too judge mental and I would say I am sometimes too but that is human nature and how the world works. We can't changed that no matter how hard we try.

One thing for sure your wife has good taste and you should as well. Buy whatever you want to please yourself and not to please other people. If you can afford to buy a SLS black series go buy it and enjoy every moment you drive the car as you are spending your own hard earned money and it is your life.

I have 3 MBs and my boss drives a corolla and I park right besides him. I wear the same business casual attire like him and every time I bump at him in the parking lot leaving from work makes me look like I am the boss and you cannot beat that.

It is also true that some of the none-luxury vehicles out there cost more than Mbs (specially CPOs vs new none lux brands) and not everyone knows it. So capitalize on that information and use it for your own benefit.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 02-26-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 PM

C300
My girlfriend's father owns two SL's and he called to tell me that people's perception changes once you own a Mercedes. I thought he was exaggerating but sure enough, people are starting to raise their eyebrows a lot more at me at work. The CEO and CFO of my company both kind of looked at me funny, but they also know what I make so they have more of a bewildered approach to me now. Other people treat me like I'm more important (which I can't complain about) but I can tell there is some resentment with a lot of others.
But for the money, what else was I going to buy that has everything that I want. Everything in a slightly used C-Classes price range is crap. Audi's and BMW's are overpriced and less reliable. Everything else isn't as nice and manufacturers don't stand behind their products. Sure I could cheap out and buy a new Subaru or Nissan, but have you sat in one of those cars?!! **** on wheels, plus if you buy them used they've been beat to crap. I say f*** it. People can think what they want, but if they did any research or cared at all about what they spent their money on they'd know that buying a benz was the best option for certain price ranges. So people can roll their eyes at me and keep thinking I paid 35grand for my car, just shows their ignorance, lol.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by david.blackmon8
My girlfriend's father owns two SL's and he called to tell me that people's perception changes once you own a Mercedes...
If this is true then I'm in trouble, since I plan on giving the Koreans and/or Americans a shot for my business when the time comes. There goes my perception
Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S
My initial consideration was a Ford Fusion titanium, which was more expensive than my 2013 C300. If people saw me driving the Fusion, they wouldn't think twice, but the merc has brought upon quite a few questions and opinions from some people. I generally avoid telling people what I drive before they get to know me, or else baseless assumptions end up being made.

I guess part of the problem is that I live in a small city of 35k or so for 4 months out of the year, with no merc dealership. When people see a merc, they think exotic and big money, just because there are like 15 2010+ mercs in the city.

Last edited by JaredP; 02-26-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
2010 c300
People at work think I'm rich because I drive a C class. Really? lol. Then after I tell them that I bought it used and how much I paid for it, they stop making a big deal out of it. On the other hand, I get cut off more now than I used to when I had a lowered integra. haha.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
In my profession if I go to a prospective client and drive my mazda 3 or the van I guarantee that they won't take me seriously or ask for ridiculous discount on my fees (happens every time! and I just walk away from it). If I drive any of my MB vehicles to meet them they look at me differently and won't even bother negotiating anything and just signs the contract. Presenting yourself properly is the game in the business world and if you can't hold your ground and present yourself well you might just be well...one of the guys or gals.

People are too judge mental and I would say I am sometimes too but that is human nature and how the world works. We can't changed that no matter how hard we try.

One thing for sure your wife has good taste and you should as well. Buy whatever you want to please yourself and not to please other people. If you can afford to buy a SLS black series go buy it and enjoy every moment you drive the car as you are spending your own hard earned money and it is your life.

I have 3 MBs and my boss drives a corolla and I park right besides him. I wear the same business casual attire like him and every time I bump at him in the parking lot leaving from work makes me look like I am the boss and you cannot beat that.

It is also true that some of the none-luxury vehicles out there cost more than Mbs (specially CPOs vs new none lux brands) and not everyone knows it. So capitalize on that information and use it for your own benefit.
My god I couldn't have said this better. I'm a banker and just like you, presentation and first impressions are everything with clients.

Just enjoy your ride and screw what other ppl think!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
Originally Posted by david.blackmon8
My girlfriend's father owns two SL's and he called to tell me that people's perception changes once you own a Mercedes.
All my bimmer friends tell me that once you experience a German engine, you can never go back. I was considering a G37 or 370Z but changed my mind when I test drove each and saw that they were right.

Originally Posted by edgalang
If this is true then I'm in trouble, since I plan on giving the Koreans and/or Americans a shot for my business when the time comes. There goes my perception
I like all kinds of cars, and I'm not a snob like some of the AMG and M owners (no offense). I love the family Toyota sienna minivan, it is such a great car. But even then, as a daily driver, I'd like something that more closely fits my own personal preferences. I like how solid things feel: the ride, the engine, the style. Different strokes for different folks - get what makes you happy.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:41 PM

All great comments everyone. Like MBS, I couldn't have said it better than Shotgun myself.

I think I was just taken aback. I don't ever look at a car and judge the person driving, other than to think "man that is a sweet car!"

It's twofold for me... a bit funny that someone would judge by the car we drive, while it cost less than both my Jeep Wrangler, my Nissan Armada, and the Mini Cooper that it replaced. The other side makes me a little proud to own a car that cost the same as a Ford, but is quality enough for people to notice.

There are not a lot of C300s in our neighborhood, and we are upper middle class. We also looked at Infiniti G37 coupes and Lexus IS 250s and 350s. Both of those cars are everywhere. I like that not a lot of people are driving C300s where we live.

I'm not going to apologize for any of the vehicles I drive!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I think people are shallowW and judgemental whether they want to admit it or not. (some may not even realize it consciously).

My mother in law got into real estate business in the last year or so. She drives an older ford sedan while everyone she works with drives MB, Audi, BMW etc. She has been pressured by her peers and employer to get something nicer. Her clients tend not to take her seriously when she shows up in her beat up old ford. (She doesn't deal in residential property, mostly commercial). She's in the market now for a new car in order to advance her career. Luckily she has done well enough in the last year to be able to afford a newer MB.

A friend of mine who is also in real estate used to drive a BMW, but since her clients are now mostly low to middle income families looking for affordable housing, she has had to trade her car in for something that is less "intimidating". She is now in a Toyota and she hates how it drives, but has to use it for work in order to not scare off potential clients.

My boss drives an old Prius that has so many broken components on it I'd be afraid to ride in it, He comments about me driving a MB, but when it comes time for merits and raises, he still takes good care of me.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
In my area, C classes and 3 series are a dime a dozen. They are almost as common as Accords and Camrys, so there isn't a huge perception thing here for the most part.

At my previous job, one of my Federal managers used to make snarky comments about "they must be paying you too much" towards me when I bought my C. He lives 35 miles north of the office, out in the sticks where you can buy a house for $175K - so I can see where his attitude might come from.

Quite frankly, it's really not anyone's business/place to judge or to be concerned with in my opinion - but I'm also an engineer and not on the front line with customers.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C300
^I agree. Living in LA, c classes are everywhere. Nice cars, but just as common as accords and camrys here.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Still amazes me that so many people care about what other people who know nothing about cars think about their cars....