C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Difficulties filling in gas at the Pump

Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C250
Difficulties filling in gas at the Pump

My wife drives an 18 months old C250 with 4.1k miles on it.She claimed she never let the fuel gauge go down lower than a 1/4 beforefilling it up. Her favorite gas station is 76 which is closer to home. At onetime she went to Costco which is just 2 blocks away to fill up. She came homecomplaining that she was not able to get a full tank because the nozzle clicksno matter what. Few weeks later, I drove her c250 to Costco for gas. Trueenough, the moment I squeeze the lever the gun would cut out as though the tankis full. I have tried every conceivable position possible and still no joy. By then, about 2-3 cars behind drove offwith full tank and I'm still struggling suffering from humility. I gave upafter maybe 15mins or so with only 3/4 full in the gauge. My hands got so numband fingers hurting badly after getting caught in the lever each time thenozzle kicks

Back home, I toldwife not to go to Costco for gas because there might be some problem with theirgas pumps. Weeks later she went to 76 for gas with no problem filling in fulltank. Today she went for the same pump at 76 but it clicks on her and she caused a longline of unhappy customers at the pump. She claimed her hands got so numbbecause the gas tank would not take in anymore gas. She drove away with lessthan 3/4 full in the fuel gauge.

The car is seldomuse and most of the time it is locked in the garage. Also the car isalways locked if unattended. There is only me and wife. So the possibility for someone to intentionally stuffsomething down the filler pipe is very slim.

Sorry for the long rant but do I have a valid reason to send in the car for SA to inspect?

Old 07-13-2014, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250
I have the same problem from time to time too. I usually just have to keep jiggling it around until it gets into a position where it will hold lol
Old 07-13-2014, 03:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 M5 | 08 C300 (Sold)
I believe this a common problem for our cars. My solution I use for all gas pumps is lift the nozzle up from the handle, put it in and once it's it you can lower the handle to start filling without auto killing it. Just becareful when you remove the nozzle that you lift it up first and then pull out

Hope this helps,
Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
same problem here. not every fill up though.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:14 AM

C250
hahah just had this happen first time yesterday.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 c350 sport
When it happens, just squeeze it halfway. It comes out a bit slower but fills up the tank.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 corvette stingray. 2013 C250 Sport. 04 Volvo XC90
I told my dealer about it and the service manager said they had a "documented procedure" so they know about the problem. When I asked was the procedure a fix he said it wasn't any kind of fix to a vent hose but a way to fill up the tank. He said I had to make an appointment to come back so I blew it off since he couldn't just give me a copy. I've not had the problem since then, interestingly enough.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:07 PM

2013 C250
I think in my case it is random or perhaps some gas nozzles are more sensitive than others. But I have had no issues at the pump filling up my other cars. At some point I have tried all conceivable possible position handling the nozzle trying to find the sweet spot but it just clicks no matter what. The gun lever just would not reach the locking mechanism to hold it in place at the slowest pace. The best I could do is to pull the lever gently and hold it steady as soon as the fuel just starts to drip. Even then, sometimes it will click after a few and I have to try again. This will make your hands numb before you can pump in 10-15 gals.

We fill her up once or twice a month since we don't use the car that much. At this frequency, I think we can handle the humiliation at the pump. Just thought maybe something is wrong with the filler pipe or tank breather problem.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 PM

C250
I did what I used to have to do in my 350Z turn the pump handle upside down and it pumped till full.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:00 PM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by odus
I did what I used to have to do in my 350Z turn the pump handle upside down and it pumped till full.
Brilliant idea. Never thought of doing just that. I have tried 90 deg, but not upside down. Is it even possible to insert the nozzle to our filler pipe upside down? Guess I'll try on my next visit to the gas station and see if it works. TIA
Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
The problem is the fuel nozzle and not the fuel tank for the car. The nozzle is supposed to turn off once it feels fuel touch it...there is little hole at the bottom of the nozzle which will get plugged by fuel and turn off the fuel supply.

If for some reason fuel is returning back towards the nozzle and the hole get's plugged, it will turn off. Try lifting the nozzle a bit or do not put the nozzle all the way down the fuel tube...this should help.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:05 PM

C250
just did a random search in the boards and found this thread. Wow, incredibly I have the same exact problem at Costco gas stations...and so far only Costco gas stations. It was driving me crazy and I kept thinking that either I was doing something wrong or the pumps were F'd up but when I take my wife's car (non MB) theres no issue.

Bumping this thread for relevancy.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
I've never had this issue. Then again... I only use Shell or Chevron 93 gas though...

No cheap fuel for my baby xD
Old 03-27-2015, 12:22 AM

2013 C250
I am still having this pain at the pump and happens at random. If the gun clicks on the first try then I bet yah, it will not lock for me no matter what. Got to hold the lever and squeeze it gently until the gas flow at very, very slow pace.

Costco is one of the Top Tier gasoline retailers in US. But seems like their pump just doesn't like my MB filler pipe. I have no problem with Non-MB cars, though.

Last edited by C0d3Sp4c3; 03-27-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:41 AM

2014 C300 4MATIC
I'm not from a self-serve state so I never have to deal with it

It did happen once, and the gas station attendant just turned the handle upside down and it filled just fine
Old 03-27-2015, 01:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by C0d3Sp4c3
I am still having this pain at the pump and happens at random. If the gun clicks on the first try then I bet yah, it will not lock for me no matter what. Got to hold the lever and squeeze it gently until the gas flow at very, very slow pace.

Costco is one of the Top Tier gasoline retailers in US. But seems like their pump just doesn't like my MB filler pipe. I have no problem with Non-MB cars, though.
I'll go ahead and disagree. My car sees Costco gas on a regular basis, and I haven't had to experience any of this, regardless of who's pump it is. Then again I make sure the nozzle is all the way in.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C250
I have this issue as well. Dealer is checking it tomorrow The Service Advisor told me that it could be the fuel tank valve.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:48 AM

2014 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by C0d3Sp4c3
My wife drives an 18 months old C250 with 4.1k miles on it.She claimed she never let the fuel gauge go down lower than a 1/4 beforefilling it up. Her favorite gas station is 76 which is closer to home. At onetime she went to Costco which is just 2 blocks away to fill up. She came homecomplaining that she was not able to get a full tank because the nozzle clicksno matter what. Few weeks later, I drove her c250 to Costco for gas. Trueenough, the moment I squeeze the lever the gun would cut out as though the tankis full. I have tried every conceivable position possible and still no joy. By then, about 2-3 cars behind drove offwith full tank and I'm still struggling suffering from humility. I gave upafter maybe 15mins or so with only 3/4 full in the gauge. My hands got so numband fingers hurting badly after getting caught in the lever each time thenozzle kicks

Back home, I toldwife not to go to Costco for gas because there might be some problem with theirgas pumps. Weeks later she went to 76 for gas with no problem filling in fulltank. Today she went for the same pump at 76 but it clicks on her and she caused a longline of unhappy customers at the pump. She claimed her hands got so numbbecause the gas tank would not take in anymore gas. She drove away with lessthan 3/4 full in the fuel gauge.

The car is seldomuse and most of the time it is locked in the garage. Also the car isalways locked if unattended. There is only me and wife. So the possibility for someone to intentionally stuffsomething down the filler pipe is very slim.

Sorry for the long rant but do I have a valid reason to send in the car for SA to inspect?

Push it in more. The fuel filler hole is kinda flexible so a firm push and it will snap into place. Mercedes is odd when it comes to gas tanks. I had this same problem and figured out to push in firmly more intil it seems to lock into place. Then it's simple as pull up and out.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Hey guys.....ITS NOT YOUR CAR. It the particular pump.

They get banged around a lot at at some point the sensing end quits working right. Go to another pump at the same station and you probably won't have a problem pumping.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 C300
Gas pump

Yeah - I also have this issue and I've seen it on other cars - tank filler neck is too complex with vapor recovery hardware etc. Damm the epa !!

Anyway - upside down hose sometimes works - so does lifting up on hose when inserting and then pulling down before squeezing trigger - but some pumps are worse than others - it's not a Costco specific thing ...
The following users liked this post:
dbenz1 (06-25-2019)
Old 04-15-2015, 05:24 PM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by rookiezxc
I have this issue as well. Dealer is checking it tomorrow The Service Advisor told me that it could be the fuel tank valve.
Did you get it fix?

As mentioned, I have tried inserting the gas nozzle in every possible conceivable position but no joy here. My local Costco has a total of 18 pumps and so far 3 of those yields the same results. I recall seeing another MB used what I thought is a defective pump. But hey, he had fun wiping his windshield while filling it up and I was struggling on the other pump. I don't think I have the patience to get in line and test all 18 pumps.

The problem on mine is consistent and makes no difference using different pump at another top tier gas station.

Anyway, most of the time the car sits in the garage and the last trip to the gas station was 6 weeks ago. But I will make an attempt to schedule a visit to my local SA.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:08 PM

2014 C250 Sport
Solutions for me

When I first got my 250 I had trouble with the gas tank as well. I learned from mistake that I needed to use more force and push it in firmly. The mechanism that our car uses is complex and difficult at times. But I have no problems whatsoever. Using more force and pushing it in until it clicks and locks is the "documented procedure" that the tech is talking about. There is nothing wrong with the pump and I use chevron regularly and arco in a pinch and I have no problems with it.
1. Remove the cap
2. Push the nozzle into the receiver straight. Then push down for it to lock. It seems to me that the receiver is spring loaded because I get a little resistance when pushing in but it locks and I am able to use full pressure.
3. Try moving the nozzle around when placing it inside.
Hope I could help. For reference my car is a 2014 c250 with the rear access package where the tank is relocated to allow trunk access from the rear seats.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:48 PM

2013 C250
Originally Posted by Falkaddoumi
When I first got my 250 I had trouble with the gas tank as well. I learned from mistake that I needed to use more force and push it in firmly. The mechanism that our car uses is complex and difficult at times. But I have no problems whatsoever. Using more force and pushing it in until it clicks and locks is the "documented procedure" that the tech is talking about. There is nothing wrong with the pump and I use chevron regularly and arco in a pinch and I have no problems with it.
1. Remove the cap
2. Push the nozzle into the receiver straight. Then push down for it to lock. It seems to me that the receiver is spring loaded because I get a little resistance when pushing in but it locks and I am able to use full pressure.
3. Try moving the nozzle around when placing it inside.
Hope I could help. For reference my car is a 2014 c250 with the rear access package where the tank is relocated to allow trunk access from the rear seats.
+1 ^
I went to dealership and SA took me to a gas station. Falkaddoumi is correct. Exactly how SA demonstrated to me. Per SA, Gas Stations are replacing or had replaced their gas pump nozzles to comply with EPA regulations.

As you can see in the pic, the nozzle has a ring. Insert the nozzle straight all the way in and push it down until the ring catch or locks into place against the fuel pipe lip. Make sure the nozzle stays in place before squeezing the lever. Otherwise, try again!

Old 12-22-2016, 01:14 AM

C300 4MATIC
Angry 2016 C300 4MATIC making me crazy

So I've had this car for about 3 months with 1500 miles on it...always had Audis prior. I've never easily been able to fill gas in it. It shuts off no matter what I do and whichever station I go to. I've filled it up like 4 times and up until now thought it was me (something only MB drivers were privy to, maybe?). I usually give up when my hands get numb.
They scheduled a pit stop appointment to check on any issues with my new vehicle and I asked them to check on this too.
They said all was well and handed me a cute little black and white photo copy pamphlet indicating that this is a known issue, known since 2014. I asked them if they verified the concern and they said yes. I told them I tried their solutions with approved fuel nozzles - to delicately lift the flap and gingerly ease in the hose while being sure not to move too quickly -- this is wayyyyy to much effort!
I feel like I was duped - I just want them to fix the damn thing. Otherwise, I really like the car.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
I have the same issue on my 2017 C300. Drives me nuts. Never had anything like this before on any car I have owned.
The following users liked this post:
Raj Samtani (12-22-2016)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Difficulties filling in gas at the Pump