C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

This happened to me last night driving down the 110S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
Thumbs down This happened to me last night driving down the 110S

http://imgur.com/a/DejOc#0

For reasons I won't get into in this post, this is seriously turning out to be the year where all our 'stuff' breaks or needs repairing/replacing.

Driving home on the 110S around the 91 and 405 interchanges, traffic suddenly slowed where it doesn't usually. I figured accident, and just limped along with everyone else in the #2 lane.

As I approached an overhead pedestrian walkway, I saw hundreds of 1-4 inch large stones, almost like large gravel, littering the freeway. I thought to myself, great, this spill from a gravel truck is what is causing the backup huh.

Then right as I passed under the overpass (like everyone I was probably going 10-20mph to avoid shredding my tires on the stones), I heard a huge 'bang' on my roof. Through my rear-view mirror, I immediately caught a glimpse of a guy standing on the overpass above me, reaching down and appearing to chuck something either over the overpass fence, or through a large 2-3 foot hole that was in it.

I immediately called 911 to report the moron, and continued on my way home without stopping. On my way back, I couldn't see any damage from the driver's seat, but I kept hearing something sounding as if sand was rolling off the top of my sunroof. I figured it was either that, or slow and continued cracking/marbling. It was of course confirmed to be the latter when I got home. I opened up the sunroof 'shade' once to see what the rear pano roof panel looked like from underneath, and the entire thing is marbled.

Dropped by an LAPD office to make a report (wasn't sure if my insurance would need it) last night, but they told me I had to go to a CHP office since the incident occurred on the freeway.

And right now the car is actually in the shop getting its busted manifold throttle lever replaced.

TGIF...

/rant
Old 08-01-2014, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Ouch man. Most likely insurance will cover that as long as there is a formal report of the incident with the authorities. Yeah it seams that my ride is starting to fall apart as well. My ride is in the shop for transmission and engine mount problems and I was hinted there might be a torque converter problem as well because of a jolt on the transmission while driving. Good thing I bought extended warranty on the car or I will be crying in the corner.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 08-01-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 corvette stingray. 2013 C250 Sport. 04 Volvo XC90
I live in LA have take that stretch of 101 semi-frequently. I have to admit that there are aspects of living in los angeles that suuuuuuuck despite the sun and fun. Sorry to hear about your experience but people dropping stuff on to the freeway has happened before.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:12 PM

Holy crap! how long did you limp along in traffic until you hit that overpass? I'm surprised there weren't tons of reports from other drivers, and other people who got hit didn't pull over. No police response at all?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by Drazil
Holy crap! how long did you limp along in traffic until you hit that overpass? I'm surprised there weren't tons of reports from other drivers, and other people who got hit didn't pull over. No police response at all?
After getting off the FastTrak lane and back onto the regular lanes just before the 105 interchange, it was probably another 15 minutes or so till I reached the spot where I got hit.

I have to imagine some other drivers also called the police, but I didn't see anyone pulled over angrily shaking their fists at the guy on the overpass. Then again I was busy trying to collect myself and survey the damage and call 911 myself so I might not have noticed everything at the time.

I dropped by a CHP station today to fill out a report, and when I asked if they had heard anything about a guy chucking rocks they said no (citing that they were simply a dispatch station), but suggested calling some CHP hotline as I had the right to 'follow-up' on my original 911 call. I did so, but the operator said they she wasn't seeing any relevant arrests, so at this time it's an open investigation (based on the report I filed).

Either way my insurance company has already started the claims process for me. Ball is now in my court, I have to pick an authorized body shop and let them know which one. Still don't even know what my out of pocket will be (i.e. if they consider this 'comprehensive' coverage, for which I have a deductible, or something else perhaps).
Old 08-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
2018 C63S
I don't know what is going on with the recent amount of MB panoramic roofs and sun roofs breaking and glass shattering.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport
Originally Posted by Need4Speed
I don't know what is going on with the recent amount of MB panoramic roofs and sun roofs breaking and glass shattering.
Ya but not many from people throwing huge rocks from overpass! :0
Old 08-01-2014, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
That's why every us citizen should be required to carry an M82 in the trunk of their vehicle and demonstrate proficiency in it's use.

Taking him out was your civic responsibility.

You have failed in your duty to secure and maintain a civil society.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Yeah I just hope it never comes to pass that my car has to exit alongside some sections of the 110.

Especially at night.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
When I clicked on your link that provides the pictures before reading your post, I thought you had one of the "exploding sunroof" issues like here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-louis-mo.html

That sucks and at least you are okay.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
That happened to me many years ago (mid 80's) I was driving my MGB with the top down doing around 65. I saw these two kids on an overpass then is disbelief I saw one of them throw something over the fence. A full brick bounced off the head rest of the passenger seat. A small distance to the side and it would have killed me. By the time I got to an exit and drove back the kids were gone.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:42 PM

2011 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Drove that Sat. night. I would have stopped and found a way up on the over pass and ran them down. hate sob's like that. didn't do 8 yrs in afghan just so ppl have their right to be moronic destructive f**ks!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 AM

Yeah that's unbelievable. Lucky they didn't kill or seriously harm anyone... and by the amount of rocks on the road that made OP think a dump truck had spilled, sounds like they were at it all afternoon.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by dandelos
http://imgur.com/a/DejOc#0

For reasons I won't get into in this post, this is seriously turning out to be the year where all our 'stuff' breaks or needs repairing/replacing.

Driving home on the 110S around the 91 and 405 interchanges, traffic suddenly slowed where it doesn't usually. I figured accident, and just limped along with everyone else in the #2 lane.

As I approached an overhead pedestrian walkway, I saw hundreds of 1-4 inch large stones, almost like large gravel, littering the freeway. I thought to myself, great, this spill from a gravel truck is what is causing the backup huh.

Then right as I passed under the overpass (like everyone I was probably going 10-20mph to avoid shredding my tires on the stones), I heard a huge 'bang' on my roof. Through my rear-view mirror, I immediately caught a glimpse of a guy standing on the overpass above me, reaching down and appearing to chuck something either over the overpass fence, or through a large 2-3 foot hole that was in it.

I immediately called 911 to report the moron, and continued on my way home without stopping. On my way back, I couldn't see any damage from the driver's seat, but I kept hearing something sounding as if sand was rolling off the top of my sunroof. I figured it was either that, or slow and continued cracking/marbling. It was of course confirmed to be the latter when I got home. I opened up the sunroof 'shade' once to see what the rear pano roof panel looked like from underneath, and the entire thing is marbled.

Dropped by an LAPD office to make a report (wasn't sure if my insurance would need it) last night, but they told me I had to go to a CHP office since the incident occurred on the freeway.

And right now the car is actually in the shop getting its busted manifold throttle lever replaced.

TGIF...

/rant

What shop did you go to get your manifold lever replaced?
Old 01-09-2016, 03:07 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by Nicholi2007
What shop did you go to get your manifold lever replaced?
For that particular issue I went here --

http://www.yelp.com/biz/international-motors-san-pedro
Old 01-09-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by dandelos
For that particular issue I went here --

http://www.yelp.com/biz/international-motors-san-pedro
Thanks will give him a call.

No problems since then? Smog passed?
Old 01-09-2016, 03:23 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by Nicholi2007
Thanks will give him a call.

No problems since then? Smog passed?
Yep, it was pretty painless. I forget exactly what I did in terms of which lever I picked to replace, i.e. a standard plastic one or if I ordered a more durable metal one (or if the themselves had a metal option), but on the actual day it probably took just over an hour from when I dropped the car off till when it was ready to go.

They also have a waiting room with a sofa in their show room where you can chill at if you just want to wait there. Not the most luxurious by any means but if you want to just chill there and take a nap or work on your laptop (no wifi there) you can.