C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Wrong Transmission Oil used

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Question Wrong Transmission Oil used

Aloha!

First things first, I have a 2011 C300 Sport. It has just over 37k miles on it. I brought it in for the 40k mile B Service. The on board computer indicated it was time for the service even though I had not hit the miles.

I just had my C300's B service done by the shop were I bought my C300 from used. I would have done it at the dealship, but in Hawaii, the only Mercedes dealership was quoting a minimum of $1200 all the up to $2000 if breaks needed work as well. From what I was seeing online here, that was outrageous pricing. Anyways the shop I bought my car from the guy they use to fix all their Mercedes works as a Mercedes Tech M-F and them on the weekends and they only wanted $500 for the service, much more in line with the cost of materials labor etc. So I took that option.

When I got the car back I found that under acceleration it felt like the tranny would just let go, as if you were to push in the clutch on a manual. The car would lurch forward and the engine's Rev's would drop to idle speeds. I would let off the gas, if i reapplied throttle right away there was 0 power. If I would wait 3 or 4 seconds the car was back to normal. No lights were thrown. It felt as if the tranny entered limp mode.

I brought the car back to the dealer and they had their tech look at it. They are now telling me they think they put the wrong transmission oil into the tranny. My question is what kind of damage would this cause to the tranny. Are there going to be long term effects? I would guess the problem described above happened 4 to 6 times and I put about 50 miles on the car with that oil. They are going to replace the oil and filter today and I should be able to pick up the car tomorrow but I am worried about what damage may have been done already.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!
Old 10-31-2014, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI SLK 200
I would be getting it put in writing that the wrong oil was used.
if your gearbox fails any time soon then they would have to replace it. I believe from what I read they cost about $10,000. Any reputable service centre will have insurance to cover screw ups like this

Maybe Glyn M Ruck would be more able to comment on what damage may have been caused

Last edited by Big Daddy; 10-31-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 AM

C300
Thanks, that is good advise. Hopefully Glyn will comment here. Mahalo!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Fortunately you did not do much mileage like this & the transmission tries hard to protect itself. Loss of drive means clutchpack slip which is not good for anything.

I presume they put the old 236.14 fluid into a 722.9 Plus transmission which takes 236.15. The new fluid is dyed Blue to prevent this. Also, he might not have got the level correct. How much fluid were you changed for? Did they drain the Torque Converter?

You are probably OK if you get the stuff out of there completely and refill with the correct fluid.

If they have used a non approved fluid the same applies. Get it out of there soonest.

Good luck!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-31-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:32 AM

C300
Thank you very much! I got the car back last night and drove it today. Everything seems to be back to normal.. only time will tell.