C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 quality plummeted in latest CR annual issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 4matic luxury
Unhappy W204 quality plummeted in latest CR annual issue

I just received my Consumer Reports 2015 Buying Guide and to my dismay I noticed that my '09 C3004M quality dropped drastically from last years report !!....My cars reliability has been excellent, and yet the CR compilation of years "09 to present dropped reliability in nearly all areas ....I wonder if this could be a misprint...Any thoughts ??.....
Old 11-19-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 MB C350
are you surprised?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
CR has always been worthless when it comes to auto's
but the dumb of the world will believe it's gospel.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by tekfoc
It is neither dumb nor gospel. It is data. They have a sufficient sample size of owners who submit surveys. It is representative of that owner body's experience and is statistically reliable. The road tests are a completely different story and highly subjective based on their internal standards.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
It is neither dumb nor gospel. It is data. They have a sufficient sample size of owners who submit surveys. It is representative of that owner body's experience and is statistically reliable. The data shows excellent reliability on some items, less-so on others. The road tests are a completely different story and highly subjective based on their internal standards.

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-19-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Sorry for duplicate post, resulted from adding chart. No post delete function anymore?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 PM

18 E63S
Originally Posted by Sportstick
It is neither dumb nor gospel. It is data. They have a sufficient sample size of owners who submit surveys. It is representative of that owner body's experience and is statistically reliable. The road tests are a completely different story and highly subjective based on their internal standards.
Yea from so called owners.
I don't buy it.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Yea from so called owners.
I don't buy it.
Just like everyone here who claims to have a Mercedes-Benz?

Among those who subscribe to such a magazine, who are the only respondents who receive the survey, and take the time to complete a lengthy survey, my experience as a market researcher is that the incidence of false submissions (subscribers pretending to be owners....for what purpose?) is quite low and without meaningful effect on the results. There is nothing else to buy...it's just data.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Any screen shot of the 2012+ 4 cylinder model with subcategories expanded?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by spyked
Any screen shot of the 2012+ 4 cylinder model with subcategories expanded?

Thanks.
Not much to complain about here!

Not as good here:

Attached Thumbnails W204 quality plummeted in latest CR annual issue-screen-shot-2014-11-19-9.55.54-pm.png   W204 quality plummeted in latest CR annual issue-screen-shot-2014-11-19-9.57.46-pm.png  
Old 11-19-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Thanks. Be curious to see how those stats play out as EIS/ESL and door handle issues appear.

Interestingly enough, the V6 models don't seem terrible affected (in terms of "scores") by the 4MATIC issues.

I wonder how many CR readers also have Mercedes Benz cars. I'd think their subscribers would mostly less passionate, more sensible Toyota drivers. People buy German cars not because they have to, but because they want to.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Thanks. Be curious to see how those stats play out as EIS/ESL and door handle issues appear.

Interestingly enough, the V6 models don't seem terrible affected (in terms of "scores") by the 4MATIC issues.

I wonder how many CR readers also have Mercedes Benz cars. I'd think their subscribers would mostly less passionate, more sensible Toyota drivers. People buy German cars not because they have to, but because they want to.
In the research work I've done, Consumer Reports comes up across a wide cross-section of demo and psychographics and is the most-often mentioned 3rd party source. I've heard this from affluent import shoppers to basic economy car buyers. CR's methodology requires a sufficient sample size or they indicate lack of sample and don't report a category. Keep in mind, the data doesn't mean excellence or lack in the absolute. These are relative ratings in comparison to other vehicles in the segment and based on findings of statistically significant differences. No, I don't now and have never worked for them.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 PM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport

Could you elaborate on 4matic issues? I'm unaware
Old 11-20-2014, 01:41 PM

18 E63S
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Just like everyone here who claims to have a Mercedes-Benz?

Among those who subscribe to such a magazine, who are the only respondents who receive the survey, and take the time to complete a lengthy survey, my experience as a market researcher is that the incidence of false submissions (subscribers pretending to be owners....for what purpose?) is quite low and without meaningful effect on the results. There is nothing else to buy...it's just data.

almost one year with my cla 45 amg not one problem.
had to go in for a campaign that's it.
my C300 4matic has already had the transmission replaced.
and it's going back in for binding in the crank case on tight slow turns.
as for people faking having Mercedes vehicles that's another story.
never ever was a fan of CR for vehicles since 1980's.
had vehicles in the past that they rated great and had major problems with them. when it was brand spanking new.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
almost one year with my cla 45 amg not one problem.
had to go in for a campaign that's it.
my C300 4matic has already had the transmission replaced.
and it's going back in for binding in the crank case on tight slow turns.
as for people faking having Mercedes vehicles that's another story.
never ever was a fan of CR for vehicles since 1980's.
had vehicles in the past that they rated great and had major problems with them. when it was brand spanking new.
A couple of points....

In every population, there is a distribution. Not everyone has the same experiences, so to achieve a representative sample, a large sample size is obtained. In our work at our company, we use approximately a sample of 100 to have a reasonable margin of error when testing for significant differences. Among those 100, some will be at one end of whatever is being measured, some at the other, with a greater mass in the middle in most cases. Your experiences may be similar to those at either end of the distributions.

Also, the CR ratings don't indicate excellence or lack of excellence. They are merely relative differences from the average. A solid red dot indicates much better than average, however, average may be good or not so good. Black indicates much worse than average with the same logic.

So, again, it's just large sample data. Really nothing to argue about. Your experiences may be similar or not, but this data represents what a statistically robust sample reported and is generally, but not totally, predictive of what the vehicle experience may be.

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-20-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
Sportstick, I appreciate your (2012 1.8) data plus your statistical perception............

Looking at the difference between your data and that of my CR "New Car Ratings and Reviews" (June 2014) with regard to the 4-cyl C Class...............................

The Extended Warranty just might prove useful (depending - of course - on cost)...........

best, ez
Old 11-24-2014, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by ezshift5
Sportstick, I appreciate your (2012 1.8) data plus your statistical perception............

Looking at the difference between your data and that of my CR "New Car Ratings and Reviews" (June 2014) with regard to the 4-cyl C Class...............................

The Extended Warranty just might prove useful (depending - of course - on cost)...........

best, ez
Glad to help.....the question which remains for this kind of data is whether the newer cars will "age" into having the same issues.....OR....did that particular model year have an issue (or more) which were recognized and corrected in later production? Too soon to know.