C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Pioneer Double-DIN installed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Pioneer Double-DIN installed.

My Audio 20 died (RT channel) after performing the Infinity upgraded speakers from this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html

I guess the low impedance from the Infinity's revealed a flaw in the RT channel amp of my Audio 20. At first, I was going to do a single-DIN since I have an unused refurbed Kenwood KDC-X496 sitting in the box for a couple of years. I didn't really like how the single-DIN looks, but, like how it retained the heated seat buttons. After a lot of thought, I decided to go double-DIN (Pioneer AVH-X2700BS $249)and install a back-up camera since this is my wife's daily and she'll appreciate having the camera. We didn't need anything fancy and this was an economical upgrade. While I was at it, I installed my old HiFonics mono amp and old 10" Bazooka. Routed the BT mic to the center of the cluster gauge and the USB cord to the center console storage box.

-Metra install kit 95-8517
-Scosche MZ01SR wiring kit with steering wheel controls
-Scosche VWA4B antenna adapter

The steering wheel control interface works with the exception of changing tracks. Haven't tested the phone function yet. There was an issue from the interface properly triggering the reverse camera screen on the radio. It would not do it unless I back up a few feet, drive fwd a couple of feet, go into reverse and then it'll work. Scosche tech support has been great and advised me on a "reset" solution to the interface box. The solution failed. I ended up wiring the "trigger" wire from the rear taillight harness directly to the radio.

I did originally buy a single-DIN install kit (Carav) from Germany. This kit is flawed and will need some work to make it usable. I ended up buying two kits (total USD $50). First one was experimental and the second one I didn't use because I ended up going double-DIN. Be advised that the Metra kit is not a perfect kit and I also ended up breaking the tabs to the bezel like someone in another thread mentioned. Luckily, with the broken tabs, it still works fine.

I still need to figure out what to do with the heated seat buttons before next winter. The Metra kit includes a heated seat button relocation panel that replaces the OEM video screen lid which doesn't look that great. I may either remove the screen to retain the OEM lid and install the buttons there or relocate to the glove box. The Metra kit includes the extension harness.

Single-DIN kit from CARAV

Kenwood KDC-X496

Pioneer AVH-X2700BS
Old 03-22-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
The Pioneer installation looks very good. If you plan to replace the OEM screen, will all the functions, like the engineering menu, show up on the Pioneer screen? All in all, I applaud your courage making such a complicated change. How does it sound with the Infinity speakers? Thanks for posting the pictures and description.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:02 PM

W204 C300 4Matic
Can you cut on either side of the radio and put the heated seat buttons there?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by codeblue5007
The Pioneer installation looks very good. If you plan to replace the OEM screen, will all the functions, like the engineering menu, show up on the Pioneer screen? All in all, I applaud your courage making such a complicated change. How does it sound with the Infinity speakers? Thanks for posting the pictures and description.
Unfortunately, you lose all screen functions. It sounds good with the Infinity speakers. Actually, the Audio 20 sounds very good itself with the speaker change as the stock head unit puts out more power than these aftermarket units.

Originally Posted by FlatoutSusp
Can you cut on either side of the radio and put the heated seat buttons there?
You cannot relocate the heated seat buttons that way. The buttons are mounted onto a PC board that is the exact size as the bezel you see. One member unsoldered the buttons and moved them to the glove box, but, I have yet seen him post a pic after numerous requests.

Last edited by Sincity; 03-22-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the complete Metra kit with seat button relocation panel (not my car). As you can see, it's not that great looking.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
You're brave to make such a modification to your car. I do wonder how well those aftermarket kits match with the factory plastic surrounds. In previous cars, I haven't minded the mismatch of the materials, but I feel that in a Mercedes-Benz, I want to keep all surface textures as consistent as possible. I think my days of car audio work are behind me. I think everything in my 2013 is too integrated to make any changes.

Originally Posted by Sincity
Here is the complete Metra kit with seat button relocation panel (not my car). As you can see, it's not that great looking.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W57thNY
You're brave to make such a modification to your car. I do wonder how well those aftermarket kits match with the factory plastic surrounds. In previous cars, I haven't minded the mismatch of the materials, but I feel that in a Mercedes-Benz, I want to keep all surface textures as consistent as possible. I think my days of car audio work are behind me. I think everything in my 2013 is too integrated to make any changes.
The bezel matches AC trim and the seat heater control bezel as well. That goes the same for the single/double-DIN kits. Agreed, on a 2013, it wouldn't look right if you lose the large display.

Last edited by Sincity; 03-22-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:57 PM

2004 C240 4matic, 2009 C300 4Matic
great clean install man!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:29 PM

2011 C300
Idk if you still monitor this thread, but I'm doing an identical be install. Where do you run the yellow constant power cable?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C300 w204
Originally Posted by Nothing3
Idk if you still monitor this thread, but I'm doing an identical be install. Where do you run the yellow constant power cable?
Passenger kick panel there's a thick red with purple (?) stripe. That's a good constant that wont time out. It's in a single plug running up and down. Can't miss it.

*its easier than stripping the thick red battery cable.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:44 PM

2011 C300
Awesome, thank you!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C300 w204
Originally Posted by Nothing3
Awesome, thank you!
No problem.

Also, I used the heated seat extension wires and mounted the heated seat assembly to the top of the glovebox where the light is. I had a UMI, so it went in place of the box for it.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 PM

2011 C300
I was going to take out the command center screen and fab a plate to mount them on. Your way sounds far less complicated.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:45 AM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by RRw204
No problem.

Also, I used the heated seat extension wires and mounted the heated seat assembly to the top of the glovebox where the light is. I had a UMI, so it went in place of the box for it.
So, I got it installed yesterday. I spliced into the Red and Blue wire underneath the kick plate. It worked perfectly for about an hour and then shut off and now won't turn on at all. This thing is driving me nuts.