C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MY13 c350 dyno tuning and OE Tune install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
MY13 c350 dyno tuning and OE Tune install

Ok guys, I know there have been tons of threads regarding tuning for the c300 and c350. I decided to take the plunge and get a baseline dyno for the c350, and after dyno with OE tune. Stay tuned as we are tuning now.

Here's a teaser pic.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by DameMD
Ok guys, I know there have been tons of threads regarding tuning for the c300 and c350. I decided to take the plunge and get a baseline dyno for the c350, and after dyno with OE tune. Stay tuned as we are tuning now.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Sport
Old 05-04-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport

Since everyone else is posting emotions haha
Old 05-04-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport
if the c300s can achieve c350 powers. sadly, that is one of the great mysteries of our generation.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:29 AM

X3 M40i
Updated

ok guys...good news and bad news.

Good news:
Baseline dyno was done on a Mustang dyno. This dyno machine has the lowest reading out of all dynos; however, it is one of the most accurate dynos to measure actual power that a car is putting down on the streets (rwhp). That being said, my numbers look very low in comparison to getting a baseline from a Dynojet. Regardless of what dyno machine was being used, the point of the dyno was to see if we are getting said claims from OE tune. If you need more info on Mustang Dyno vs Dynojet please Google.

Ok now for numbers:

Stock baseline was: 214rwhp and 207rwtq
Dyno/OE tuned was: 223rwhp and 214rwtq

I picked up 9rwhp and 7rwtq. Peak numbers were a little higher and closer to the tuners actual claim in "mid-range"; however, 9rwhp and 7rwtq was pretty consistent across the board after about 2-3 runs. I have another appointment with the shop in a week to calibrate the tune after the ecu has adapted to my driving habits. This way, we can try to squeeze a few more rwhp + rwtq.

Bad news:
No graphs at the moment. The temps today were pretty hot in VA, along with the inside of the shop's garage being a little hot too. There are still some adjustments that need to be made on the tune, and after my week of driving/ECU adapting, we will do our final adjustments on the tune.

I know you guys want to see graphs with overlays and I will definitely publish the information once we finish the final updates. I will also provide my review of OE tune at that time. Meanwhile

Last edited by DameMD; 05-05-2015 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Wow...initial results are pretty disappointing
Old 05-05-2015, 12:08 PM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by ElJayBird
Wow...initial results are pretty disappointing

I wouldn't say that just yet. What we must keep in mind is that these tuners are publishing"peak" horsepower & torque gains. Obviously, peak HP is not a very good measure because it only tells you about a maximum value and does not describe the overall performance of the engine. My shop was able to reach said claim of 23hp+ & 23tq+from OE tune but usable amount which I am looking for under the curve across the board was only 9rwhp. I think that's roughly 15+ crank useable horsepower.

Hopefully, when I go back to the shop, we can squeeze out another 3-5rwhp. That would be great to have 20+ useable horsepower across the board where I need it which is Low-Mid-Range.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by DameMD
I wouldn't say that just yet. What we must keep in mind is that these tuners are publishing"peak" horsepower & torque gains. Obviously, peak HP is not a very good measure because it only tells you about a maximum value and does not describe the overall performance of the engine. My shop was able to reach said claim of 23hp+ & 23tq+from OE tune but usable amount which I am looking for under the curve across the board was only 9rwhp. I think that's roughly 15+ crank useable horsepower.

Hopefully, when I go back to the shop, we can squeeze out another 3-5rwhp. That would be great to have 20+ useable horsepower across the board where I need it which is Low-Mid-Range.
What numbers are you quoting if not peak on your dyno run? Pick a random rpm? I understand that peak numbers aren't the whole story, but 9hp is pretty disappointing. If you're talking about tweaking the tune you must be doing this at a OE shop rather than mailing in your ecu as well. This is at IAP Racing it looks like, right?

What is your current peak before and after number? Its pretty impossible to talk about average area under the curve or pretty much anything else without the graph.

Last edited by TheRulesLawyer; 05-05-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 PM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer
What is your current peak before and after number? Its pretty impossible to talk about average area under the curve or pretty much anything else without the graph.
Fair enough.

Yes, the shop is IAP. Also, you are correct that they are a in-house tuner for OE, which means I did not have to send off my ECU. I do not have graphs, as the shop did not provide them to me since the printer was down. As of right now, I am only going by what the shop told me was my stock baseline which was 214rwhp-207rwtq on a mustang dyno. With OE tune and only a few dyno runs and calibrations, we got to 223rwhp and 214rwtq.

Just to be clear, before this turns into another one of the many tune threads, I am only here to prove, or disprove these vendors with said claims of their tunes. Since no one on the forums has stepped up, I decided to take the plunge to get a before and after dyno of one of the vendor's tune. It's unfortunate that I don't have a graph to show at the moment; however, I "will" be going back to the shop to get final tune adjustments and I "will" report back to the forum with actual dyno graphs and printouts. I have to go back to the shop anyway to switch out my H&R Super Sport Springs with Sport Springs. Once the sport springs come in, I will be heading to the shop either on a Monday or Friday which are the only available "free" days for me.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:21 AM
FFM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Audi R8
And Mercedes claims these cars are at 300hp lol? That's some serious drivetrain loss if that's the case. Sheesh.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:39 PM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by FFM
And Mercedes claims these cars are at 300hp lol? That's some serious drivetrain loss if that's the case. Sheesh.

In my first post I stated that the runs were done on a mustang dyno vs. dynojet. In comparison, the shop has a GT-R and on same mustang dyno was only showing high 300s for rwhp. These mustang dynos read very very low.

I know of a few dynojet shops near my house that I plan to go to after my tune is completed. I want to see comparisons on numbers.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:02 PM
FFM

Audi R8
Yeah I am aware of the different types of dynos. Used to live on dynos back in the day when I raced on a consistent basis. My user name is an acronym because I no longer promote ForceFed my old tuning business.

But damn, base hp claimed by Merc to even that mustang dyno is substantial. Makes me even more scared how much drivetrain loss would be with 4matic.

Guess I should dwell, we didn't buy this car for the power but maybe we should have opted for the 335 haha
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 PM

C350
Originally Posted by FFM
The actual number matters a lot less than the comparison from stock to tuned. Dyno, gear they ran it in, etc all can contribute to low observed rwhp. Still, that's a hefty correction factor. 30% is way on the upper end even for a Mustang dyno. Make me wonder if they had the wrong ratio set in their software somewhere. I'd expect about 245 rwhp on a mustang dyno stock from the averages I've read.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:19 PM

C350
Originally Posted by FFM
But damn, base hp claimed by Merc to even that mustang dyno is substantial. Makes me even more scared how much drivetrain loss would be with 4matic.

Guess I should dwell, we didn't buy this car for the power but maybe we should have opted for the 335 haha
FWIW the trap times I've seen on the net match fairly well with the rated HP on calculators.

Last edited by TheRulesLawyer; 05-06-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:32 PM
FFM

Audi R8
Well that's good at least. But yeah when I saw 30% that's quite shocking. Even on dynos that read somewhat low. Granted there doesn't appear to be a lot of data to compare to here on the forums.

Regarding my E46 there's literally hundreds of dyno charts posted. Thus even though general rule of thumb is to never compare to someone else's chart, there's enough data to find an average of what to expect give or take.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200
how much KW it make ? on finial dyno
Old 03-16-2018, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 c350 sedan 4matic
Was this on a stock car? Sorry if you posted the answer already but I couldn’t seem to find it. I’m looking to get my C350 tuned by OE and I have a second cat delete, magnaflow x pipe in replacement of the resonator, and vibrant bottle neck resonators for the mufflers.