C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Update Maps for 2012 C300 W204

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
Originally Posted by ChelseaMike
Thanks so much! Do you happen to know the SD card part number for a 2013 C350 4Matic? Thanks again!
sorry I don't .
a trip to your local Mercedes parts dept is your best bet.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C200 CDi AMG
GPS update 2013 C200 Comand Online

I got major conflicting information regarding this. I have asked 3 MB dealers and gotten 3 different answers.

First dealer said I only needed a DVD, which I bought, was very cheap.
That did not work. DVD asked for a license key.

Second dealer says yes you need a license key with the dvd and the license is just for one update. They say the latest version for my region is 2014.
Cost for this about R4000($290)

Third dealer says they cant install the 2014 update, they are only allowed to do the latest version which is 2016 for my region, but now the cost is R10000($730) the say the reason for this is the 2016 license is valid for all future maps updates and not just the 2016.

So now after spending more than a month on this my GPS is still on a version that is older than the car(2012) as I dont see myself paying that much for the update. Granted I would probably consider it if MB can put into writing that the $730 license does in fact include all future updates.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
WOW UNBELIEVABLE .
JUST RUNNING YOUR VIN NUMBER SHOULD BE ABLE TELL WHAT'S NEEDED.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:44 AM

Mercedes CLK320 Coupe
I just got mine replaced. I have a 2003 CLK 320 Coupe with 162,000 km on it. Belt was never replaced. I actually only changed the belt because the water pump failed. Ended up having to change the tensioner and idler pulley as well. Cost breakdown below in Canadian Dollars.

Belt $55
Idler $50
Tensioner $180
Water Pump $190
Coolant $35
Water Temp Sensor $32

3 Hours Labour $250

Total cost all in $890. If you are just changing the belt it should only be 30 mins to 1 hour of labour and about $30 if you buy the belt yourself. Total cost for serpentine belt replacement should range from $70 to $130 depending if you buy the belt yourself or get them to pick it up.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E350, 2013 C300 4MATIC, 2004.5 C230SS
$99 for map update for my wife's MY13 C300, I'm not sure how long it will last.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 SLK 230 Kompresor, 2013 C300 4matic Sport (W204)
2013 C300 4Matic Maps

Okay, so I have a similar situation and am looking for an easier and cheaper way to update the maps. Local dealer quoted around $500, which is absurd. The last 6 of the VIN are: G083303. It has the Siruis sat, an HK sound system, navi, blue tooth phone, SD card slot, USB and special cable for my iPod, and a few other items which might be part of the Premium package, but I'm not sure. The dealer mentioned that they have to download the new maps as the DVD/CD maps won't work. Is there really a license code which is needed and can only be purchased from the dealer?
Thx.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:04 AM

w204
Originally Posted by Dysan669
I got major conflicting information regarding this. I have asked 3 MB dealers and gotten 3 different answers.

First dealer said I only needed a DVD, which I bought, was very cheap.
That did not work. DVD asked for a license key.

Second dealer says yes you need a license key with the dvd and the license is just for one update. They say the latest version for my region is 2014.
Cost for this about R4000($290)

Third dealer says they cant install the 2014 update, they are only allowed to do the latest version which is 2016 for my region, but now the cost is R10000($730) the say the reason for this is the 2016 license is valid for all future maps updates and not just the 2016.

So now after spending more than a month on this my GPS is still on a version that is older than the car(2012) as I dont see myself paying that much for the update. Granted I would probably consider it if MB can put into writing that the $730 license does in fact include all future updates.
Please tell me if you finally got the update up and running as I am also in South Africa and are also struggling to get my maps updated as well.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by 124Benzer
Okay, so I have a similar situation and am looking for an easier and cheaper way to update the maps. Local dealer quoted around $500, which is absurd. The last 6 of the VIN are: G083303. It has the Siruis sat, an HK sound system, navi, blue tooth phone, SD card slot, USB and special cable for my iPod, and a few other items which might be part of the Premium package, but I'm not sure. The dealer mentioned that they have to download the new maps as the DVD/CD maps won't work. Is there really a license code which is needed and can only be purchased from the dealer?
Thx.
They are now priced @ $99 according to Here (the map vender).

https://mb.navigation.com/product-li...en_US/MBNA/USD
Old 10-25-2020, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by LogicalApex
They are now priced @ $99 according to Here (the map vender).

https://mb.navigation.com/product-li...en_US/MBNA/USD
After recently taking a few trips, I've gotten back into this subject.

So, this DVD can only be purchased at the dealer for $99? They mentioned to me they need to charge $500 as they use a spacial license key. Is there a way around this? What have others experienced? I'm about to forget using the Navi function and either use my older Garmin (with updated maps) and plug it into the cig lighter socket or occasionally use our phones to guide us through traffic congestion on alternate routes.

When we someday get a new Benz, I'll hope it has a real GPS setup which can be updated without a lot of trouble and money (Garmin updates are free, I believe, but not sure about the Garmin options in some new Benzes & if that also applies to that setup).

Thx!!!

Nick
Old 10-25-2020, 02:58 PM

2014 C300 Luxury
After recently taking a few trips, I've gotten back into this subject.

So, this DVD can only be purchased at the dealer for $99? They mentioned to me they need to charge $500 as they use a spacial license key. Is there a way around this? What have others experienced? I'm about to forget using the Navi function and either use my older Garmin (with updated maps) and plug it into the cig lighter socket or occasionally use our phones to guide us through traffic congestion on alternate routes.

When we someday get a new Benz, I'll hope it has a real GPS setup which can be updated without a lot of trouble and money (Garmin updates are free, I believe, but not sure about the Garmin options in some new Benzes & if that also applies to that setup).

Thx!!!

Nick
I no longer have my W204, but I got my update via eBay from a seller in Canada who sent the update on a USB drive and the map update key as well. It is super easy to install. You just put the USB in and let the car run until it completes the update (don’t turn it off, but you can drive around if you don’t want to leave it idling).

$500 is ridiculous if you ask me.

The map updates were my least favorite part. The on board navigation was great. They should just let you download the update and install it. The dealer link is silly.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:56 PM

Just did a review of the MBUSA site and any of the new ones has the GPS built in to the multimedia package, which requires another package. Ugh. Not as bad as the German website though as they piece it all out and the car becomes a lot more expensive since a lot of standard features we see here in the US are optional in Europe. Not sure if those of you in Europe can work out deals with the dealers when ordering a new one, but it seems the prices are a bit higher there than here if they're the same car with the same features.
I don't believe I'm going to fiddle with the Navi function upgrade on my 2013 C300 4Matic Sport unless I get lucky and it can be done inexpensively.

Nick
Old 10-25-2020, 05:08 PM

2014 C300 Luxury
Just did a review of the MBUSA site and any of the new ones has the GPS built in to the multimedia package, which requires another package. Ugh. Not as bad as the German website though as they piece it all out and the car becomes a lot more expensive since a lot of standard features we see here in the US are optional in Europe. Not sure if those of you in Europe can work out deals with the dealers when ordering a new one, but it seems the prices are a bit higher there than here if they're the same car with the same features.
I don't believe I'm going to fiddle with the Navi function upgrade on my 2013 C300 4Matic Sport unless I get lucky and it can be done inexpensively.

Nick
The map update situation is a bit of a minefield still as for reasons I'm not sure if they don't really like to be clear and upfront with this information. I can highly recommend doing the update yourself as it is very easy to do. Literally, as I described. Plug In, enter key, wait until done.

Mercedes added 3 years of free map updates to compete against BMW doing the same for a number of years. The problem is 2015 until 2019 or 2020 they still required a dealer trip with them doing the USB update once a year. BMW did regional downloads automatically to the car up to 4x a year OTA. Mercedes now offers OTA map updates and I think they are also regional. But they offer you the option to download the whole map now and just do the update by inserting a USB drive (at least that's what I remember reading on the E-Class forum when I was replacing my W204). My problem is I don't like the new maps in the MB cars. I feel the W204 navigation system was great and it went down quite a lot so it was a major factor in me swapping over to BMW.

All that said, if you're still rocking stock maps on a 2013. I'd upgrade for sure. 7 years of road changes are a lot to be missing out on.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:06 PM

Maps/GPS is not rocket science and I'm surprised MB has not gotten the clue. Either use Garmin or Googly maps and offer free updates. Offer a feature so people can update or submit a route to their car-based GPS (not a disc-based system with Sirius for traffic updates). Toyota does it and I'm sure many others do as well. Of course, that is not why we bought the car. Bought it from CarMax back around Christmas of 2017 as the W210 E300 Turbodiesel was totaled (no injuries) and needed to replace it. The W204 is a gorgeous car with the styling update in late 2012.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:19 PM

LogicalApex... Thanks for the info... I'll check out the eBay stuff for that upgrade USB drive.

(I believe I lost the other reply I had typed. If it makes it out there, my apologies for the confusion.)

Too bad MB uses this system in the 2013 W204 as it should have been a Garmin setup. It should be inexpensive, even standard equipment, and you should be able to load your route from your phone onto the car's GPS (and not drive-based system which uses Sirius for traffic updates). We bought the car from CarMax and it's a great-handling sedan and is a lot of fun to drive. Have owned other Benzes and never been disappointed.

Nick
Old 10-26-2020, 12:39 AM

2014 C300 Luxury
Maps/GPS is not rocket science and I'm surprised MB has not gotten the clue. Either use Garmin or Googly maps and offer free updates. Offer a feature so people can update or submit a route to their car-based GPS (not a disc-based system with Sirius for traffic updates). Toyota does it and I'm sure many others do as well. Of course, that is not why we bought the car. Bought it from CarMax back around Christmas of 2017 as the W210 E300 Turbodiesel was totaled (no injuries) and needed to replace it. The W204 is a gorgeous car with the styling update in late 2012.
Mercedes did offer a Becker system on the W204 which they have no replaced with a Garmin system on newer model years. It was a mid-tier option where you could skip the Premium 1 Package and get Becker Map Pilot. This was very much an inferior option and it was often complained about here on the forums, at least that's what I remember being the case. The upgrades were also $100 for that system and were often pretty poor. Garmin isn't much better than Becker was from my understanding. Command is quite a lot better!

I do agree though that the SiriusXM traffic leaves a lot to be desired since it only updates every 15 minutes and who knows how stale that update is. It was helpful enough to me in Philly to keep me subscribed, but I wouldn't call it amazing.

It was a shame they had deeper Google Maps integration in MY2014, but then they went and removed it all in like 2015 or so. Including sending destinations to your call from Google Maps. Was pretty let down.

That being said, Mercedes owns a portion of, and uses, Here maps which were formerly a division of Nokia. You can update their map database online if you see blatant issues in the map in areas you frequent. I can't give you any idea how long it takes for the tweak to make its way into a map update though. Since the W204 only had static map updates you may not see the update in a reasonable timeframe (and without any financial outlay). I did have an annoyance the first time I updated my map they messed up the voice guidance on a part of the highway I frequented which annoyed me so I updated again the next year and was happy it was fixed...

All that said the update address is @ https://mapcreator.here.com
Old 02-05-2024, 05:14 PM

C350 W204
Failed Navigation Map update

I have a problem with my W204 2008 C350 Navi update (attempt). With questionable judgement I bought an update on ebay. There was only 1 DVD but the system is looking for DVD 2 now and of course Navigation will not work.
Is there a backout procedure or a Restore function (yes I can hear the chuckles from here)?