C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

EIS Faulty? Or steering Lock??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
EIS Faulty? Or steering Lock??

Hi guys,

ok so I have a 2008 C350 mercedes. The last week the car starting giving me issues to start. I took it to Mercedes today and the guy did se emy issue. He said its either the EIS of steering lock issue. Both being very expensive.

I did find this on the forum:

"
Campaign No. 2008020003, March 2008
TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS
SUBJECT:
MODEL 204, MODEL YEAR 2008
REPLACE ELECTRONIC IGNITION SWITCH
Daimler AG has determined that the EIS may malfunction preventing the electric steering lock and the central locking from functioning. Dealers will replace the EIS on the affected vehicles during the next workshop visit.
Prior to performing this Service Campaign:
^ Please check VMI to determine if the vehicle is involved in the Campaign and if it has been previously repaired.
^ Please review the entire Service Campaign bulletin and follow the procedure steps exactly as described.
Please note that Recall and Service Campaigns do not expire and may also be performed on a vehicle with a vehicle status indicator.
Approximately 10 vehicles are affected.
Procedure
Note: Prior to starting the procedure ensure to:
^ Use DAS 02/08 with all associated patches or higher.
^ Follow the steps exactly as described in DAS.
^ Connect battery charger.
1. Connect Star Diagnosis to the vehicle.
2. Transfer the settings of the EIS control module to Star Diagnosis by navigating through the following screen menus: Main Groups/Control Units/Body/EZS - Electronic ignition switch/Initial Startup (follow on-screen instructions).
3. Replace EIS, refer to WIS: AR46.10-P-0810CW.
4. Continue with Initial Startup (follow on-screen instructions).
"

So I was hoping they will replace the EIS for free but they can't even find this campaign in South Africa. This is a video I just ook:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx2akrh6mt...55742.mp4?dl=0

So if its working you can hear something "grabbing" the key. The above sound is when it doesn't work. The sound is if its trying to move something but doesn't.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
My EIS and steering lock went out a few months ago. Even in the US there is no open recall on this.

I was originally quoted $1,300 to fix it but since I bought an extended warranty it was bumped down to $350.

This is definitely something you will want fixed as it can leave you completely dead in the water.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:22 PM

C350
Yea car is already down on starting just every few hours Soooo sad and its soooo expensive I've been calling every Mercedes place I can to try and get them to fix it for free but tomorrow is a public holiday so will have to wait till next week. Don't want to fork out R15 000.

I also just found this:

https://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b231782/
Old 09-24-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 ml63 and 2014 ml350 bluetec
Thats definitely your steering lock going bad or went bad. find someone locally to reprogram a emulator this way no more steering lock failure. Or you can try fixing the motor inside the steering. I never had luck changing motor, i just put a emulator and call it a day.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:54 AM

C350
Originally Posted by charles.soori
Thats definitely your steering lock going bad or went bad. find someone locally to reprogram a emulator this way no more steering lock failure. Or you can try fixing the motor inside the steering. I never had luck changing motor, i just put a emulator and call it a day.
How can you tell? I was thinking its the EIS because if I get into the car and close the door and then insert the key my steering wheel changes the position and the cluster lights comes on. Then there's no crank and the windows doesn't work. But with my car if I open the door I don't get an error saying my key is still in the ignition. So if it is a steering lock issue, wouldn't the car then warn me about the key? Or perhaps a 2008 doesn't have this feature? Or is it simply just the EIS then?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:48 AM

2009 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by RenVilo
How can you tell? I was thinking its the EIS because if I get into the car and close the door and then insert the key my steering wheel changes the position and the cluster lights comes on. Then there's no crank and the windows doesn't work. But with my car if I open the door I don't get an error saying my key is still in the ignition. So if it is a steering lock issue, wouldn't the car then warn me about the key? Or perhaps a 2008 doesn't have this feature? Or is it simply just the EIS then?
I just had the same issue with my C300 yesterday. Had it towed to an Indy shop near me. My mechanic called this morning and told me he had no issues at all. Hoping that this was just a fluke.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by benbeck8
I just had the same issue with my C300 yesterday. Had it towed to an Indy shop near me. My mechanic called this morning and told me he had no issues at all. Hoping that this was just a fluke.
While I would hope for the best, I would plan to have to replace it sometime soon....it may be an intermittent problem for a while but it will eventually just die...don't leave home with out your cell phone
Old 01-06-2016, 08:02 AM

C350
Ok so just to leave feedback. I did fix this a while back It was the steering lock and cost came to R7000 (for people in South Africa.) Still loving the car but really hope nothing else gives in coz Merc ain't cheap
Old 01-06-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Originally Posted by charles.soori
Where did you get the emulator? How much was it? was it hard to install or just a few wires? I was thinking of taking the motor apart and replacing it. If the steering lock motor is failing how would putting an emulator help? sorry for all the questions!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 PM

2008 mercedes C300 sport
i would also be interested in the answers to those questions. Anybody have any input.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
My advice is don't use emulator fix it properly