C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

GENERAL MAINTENANCE HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes c300
GENERAL MAINTENANCE HELP

My very first post!
Im 16 years old, My father and I just recently bought a 2008 C300 88K miles on there. Im guessing the dealership didn't do any maintenance to the car.
I just did a oil change.

Sorry Im not to big with cars so I just wanna know what are the general maintenance for the car.

OIL CHANGES
DIFFERENT FLUIDS ETC.

(Sorry LOL)

Yeah, Just wanna know the basic stuff that needs to be changed etc!
ANY HELP WILL HELP.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:07 PM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
The search function will answer a lot of questions you may have, just read through this forum, you'll learn loads of things
Old 11-23-2015, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Kid, best advice is you need to read the manual of your car first before driving it. All the maintenance intervals of the car can be found there and you will let you learn your car then after reading the manual that is the time you ask questions here at the forum. Don't be lazy. The more you have knowledge on your car the more you will love using it. The C300 is not a honda civic take note of that!
Old 11-23-2015, 04:49 PM

Mercedes c300
You guys are right, I didn't do any research, gonna read the manual etc.

Quick question,

Would accelerating to fast damage the car in any way?

Or like gunning a road or something?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
yes it will damage your tires
and cause your drive shaft to twist
Old 11-23-2015, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Ummm....the car can handle it but you might be dissapointed if you are looking for neck snapping pull. Better just drive it normally but dont be scared pushing it a little once in a while. If you want maximum power just hold the shifter to - and it will downshift to the lowest possible gear.

Oh btw....save yourself face and do not try drag racing the c300. Most japanese cars will outrun you from start but when you reach the 70mph mark the car will pull and pull more while the 4 banger cars will have a hard time keeping up. But still dont drag it. MBs are meant to be driven 70% finesse and 30% mad. If you and your dad thinks the other way around you got the wrong car.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 11-23-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:53 PM

Mercedes c300
Thanks, yeah my pops and I bought this car for my first, I want it be kept clean well maintained. I mean it's not crazy fast, but for my first car it's pretty fast!

Yea I drive pretty normal, but when I wanna go fast I just push the pedal straight to the floor.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
88,000 miles must of had a transmission fluid change if not i hope your ready to buy a 6000$ transmission lol thats a must on all w204
Old 11-24-2015, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
AsnScott,

Well done with your first car. A lot flasher than the 13 year old heap of British rubbish that I had as my first one. You will learn a lot by studying up & doing the maintenance yourself. It will set you up for a lifetime of being a knowledgeable motorist.Good luck.

Here is the story of my first car 51 years ago:-

My First Car 1964.
I was in my last year of High School , 17 years old & lived on a citrus farm 18 miles out of Gosford .A great need became apparent to own a vehicle & have my independence. My friend at school Billy Chappell had bought an old Austin A 40 & so together we had searched the used car yards of the district for a suitable car.
The local Central Mangrove Mtn garage owner at the time, Jacky Clarke was selling a black Ford V8 2 door with dickey seat & a large painted Daffy Duck on the driver’s door. My father did not see this as a suitable conveyance for a young fellow’s first car ,being too powerful & which would draw too much attention from the local constabulary. No doubt he was correct & the search continued.
Uncle Les ,an Englishman who married my father’s cousin was a car salesman at Booths in Gosford. A good spot to check out & we would certainly receive good advice. And there she was in all her classic black gleaming beauty, a 1951 Wolseley 6/80. The test drive went well albeit the steering was a little loose; the engine missed a little when not under load & just a little puff of smoke or two at certain times. Uncle Les who was an expert in English cars was very confident, bless him ,that she had many miles left in her & said that all English cars used a little oil.
My father also an Englishman heard the story that evening & concurred that the Wolseley sounded more suitable than the V8 Ford. An excited son was espousing its strengths i.e. 6 cylinder , double overhead cam , twin 1 ¼’ SU carburetor engine with a wood grain dash which included a silver St. Christopher medal in the centre of the glove box & of course the Wolseley emblem with light at the top of the chromed radiator.It was also a well known car as it was used in the 1950’s by the English police .
Before the big day could arrive a little more savings had to be collected. It was the Waratah bush flower season (New South Wales State flower emblem) & also unfortunately also very close to the final school exams. But with the correct priority flung aside , the bush was combed for the rich red wildflower. They were prolific that year & a good price was had from the local flower grower Dirk.
With the Eighty pounds burning a hole in my pocket, Saturday morning could not come quickly enough. I cannot remember whether we took the Wolseley for another run before purchase but by 1 pm the deal was done & I was as proud as Punch & on my way to Ourimbah to play cricket for the local Mountains team. When travelling along Ourimbah straight with the engine missing a little because of the light load on a flat road, I happened to look in the rear vision mirror, only to see nothing but the colour grey blue. My first thought was that the rear vision mirror was incorrectly adjusted & viewing the pristine headlining but alas the smoke from the exhaust was so dense that absolutely nothing could be seen behind the car. No other driver in their right mind would have come within 100 yards of this event. A great cheer & clap went up from both teams on my arrival at the cricket ground . No one had ever experienced seeing a car expel so much smoke. When the match concluded the old Wolseley would not start for the homeward journey . Half a dozen good natured cricketers gave me a push & the engine found enough compression to fire up . On the expressway hill home my mighty 6 cylinder double over head cam twin carbureter engine could only manage 45 MPH & to really drive home the reality of the situation a VW beetle pulled up alongside & the driver yelled out through the passenger window that he thought I was on fire!.
Something had to be done, there was not any warranty on cars of that age & value so I set about diagnosing my problems. Because of the extreme amount of combustion gases passing the non-existent piston rings which were a broken mass in the bottom of the sump, the oil pressure guage read 70 PSI. This build up of pressure took some oil from the sump through the sump breather pipe to the oil filled type air cleaner . The oil level soon overfilled the air cleaner to then dribble into the carburetors & be burnt by the engine. This car was seriously burning oil & quickly depleting my bank balance. I disconnected this sump breather pipe & directed the oil & fumes to a tall collection tin where the oil could be recycled back to the engine. Once this modification was done most of the smoke disappeared from the exhaust but the problem was the high amount of pungent gases that were coming through the floor & into the interior of the car. It was a necessity for passengers & drivers windows to be fully open at all times to prevent asphyxiation. There was always a problem as to where to park the Wolseley as it always had to be clutch started because the starter motor could not turn the engine sufficiently fast enough to gain sufficient compression to start. With my oil saving modification I managed to limit my oil consumption to 4 1/2 gallons to my first 600 miles !!!
The time had come to replace the engine. An accident damaged Wolseley was towed to our farm by the local garage at a total cost of 15 pounds. At 17 years old I had never changed over a car engine but the need was great to be out & about. We did not own a chain block so I used my father’s 1951 3 ton Bedford farm truck & his ropes slung over a shed roof beam to lift & replace the engine. The farm shed was constructed of round smooth natural bush poles which eased the friction on the ropes .
The new engine was a vast improvement & now the Wolseley had a top speed of 84 MPH on the flat without a muffler!! .In fact I left the muffler off on one night trip to Newcastle & was entertained together with my lifelong friend Mac with the great flashes of flame on deceleration which illuminated the bush on either side of the road. There was one hiccup when I dropped a valve head into a piston in Newcastle where I was training. I replaced the piston & valve in the street outside the boarding house much to the consternation of the manager but the final overhead valve timing had me beaten without the use of a workshop manual . A mate in a Morris Oxford towed me to a garage in the suburb of Belmont where the owner, a Dutch mechanic timed the old girl . He took a week as he did it in his spare time but did not charge me. He was not short of Mangrove Mountain oranges for the duration of my apprenticeship.
I do not even vaguely hold a grudge against my Uncle Les, as he did me a huge favour in selling me a car which needed a lot of help .This experience convinced me to take up a career in marine engineering .
I sold the Wolseley for 90 pounds in Newcastle after owning her for a year.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...lseley680.html

Last edited by Carsy; 11-24-2015 at 04:18 AM. Reason: cached copy of URL