C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My findings with variant coding tweaks and throttle delay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Merserybenze
I've learnt a lot from this thread (thanks Funkwagen, in particular). I can get the hardware and software to make the changes for about $1000 for a fully working system that doesn't require messing with VMs, ports and other technicalities. It's a lot of money to make 2 to 4 minor changes. Rather than buying all this for a one time change I was wondering if there is anyone in NE Florida area who has the tools to do this - I would pay?

Or, if not, I'm willing to buy the stuff if others in the area would be willing to share some of the cost - I would confirm it works on my car and then do others cars...

let me know...
Yeah, I don't really recommend buying this all just for accomplishing this. I bought the multiplexer and everything because I have 3 w204s to maintain, and I'd like to be able to diagnose/monitor things properly and perform maintenance service etc, without having to go to the dealership unless absolutely necessary. There are numerous stored codes/informational codes and such that show in Xentry but do not cause a check engine light, etc. For example, I wouldn't have discovered that the movement of the swirl flap actuators was being restricted by a misplaced vacuum line after I'd replaced my intake manifold without seeing the fault in Xentry.

These mods were just icing on the cake, really. I like to tinker

Originally Posted by Carsy
Yes, it is the 722.640. Thanks for looking.

I did the reset & noticed no change.

Toggling between E & S makes little difference also to the way I drive.

I would be much happier if MB had spent the money & put a drain plug on the torque convertor rather than farting around with this rubbish.

Thanks for your input.

John
If I'm honest I'd almost advise against doing the well known TCU reset. Reason being, while it works well temporarily as the ecu re-learns your driving pattern, if you happen to get stuck in slow moving traffic during that adaptation process (which as far as I know can take at least a few drive cycles), you'll end up worse off than before and the car will become even more sluggish. Slow traffic aside, I found it didn't "learn" correctly a number of times and the result was pretty undesirable. So you'll end up having to continuously resetting it - I found it very frustrating.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Funkwagen
If I'm honest I'd almost advise against doing the well known TCU reset. Reason being, while it works well temporarily as the ecu re-learns your driving pattern, if you happen to get stuck in slow moving traffic during that adaptation process (which as far as I know can take at least a few drive cycles), you'll end up worse off than before and the car will become even more sluggish. Slow traffic aside, I found it didn't "learn" correctly a number of times and the result was pretty undesirable. So you'll end up having to continuously resetting it - I found it very frustrating.
While that might be true, this is really the only way for him to gauge how the car responds after the system is reset. If he likes what he feels after the reset, then case closed, he will enjoy having it always gone. Now if he doesn't, then he will have to pay again to turn it back on and the car will have to relearn regardless, which possibly could make it sluggish, but I think it will likely just go back to how it used to be. I used to do it all the time in the 05 and it felt great for a day or two then went back to the same old boring throttle I knew most of the time.

Honestly Funk, I think we are not giving this enough credit. This change is AMAZING and I personally see nothing wrong with how the throttle responds, hell it should have been like this from factory.

Last edited by xEryx; 02-04-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by xEryx
Honestly Funk, I think we are not giving this enough credit. This change is AMAZING and I personally see nothing wrong with how the throttle responds, hell it should have been like this from factory.
You might be right.. I had a chance to drive my father's C250 yesterday (same model and year as mine). Wow. Huge difference in overall feel of the car, his felt like a slug compared to mine now. Especially noticeable getting moving from a stop. C mode in his car was an absolute dog, and his S mode felt more like C mode in my car. I must be getting used to the changes I've made in my car; the difference was pretty incredible. I'm really happy with this
Old 02-09-2016, 08:10 AM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
Yeah, mine still feels great so is pretty safe to say that this is permanent on my end.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
I've learnt a lot from this thread (thanks Funkwagen, in particular). I can get the hardware and software to make the changes for about $1000 for a fully working system that doesn't require messing with VMs, ports and other technicalities. It's a lot of money to make 2 to 4 minor changes. Rather than buying all this for a one time change I was wondering if there is anyone in NE Florida area who has the tools to do this - I would pay?

Or, if not, I'm willing to buy the stuff if others in the area would be willing to share some of the cost - I would confirm it works on my car and then do others cars...

let me know...
If you find anyone I would be willing to drive up to NE Florida from down here.

Once I get my car back I'm going to check with my indie shop and see if they can try this.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport

let me know...
Originally Posted by michail71
If you find anyone I would be willing to drive up to NE Florida from down here.

Once I get my car back I'm going to check with my indie shop and see if they can try this.

If you guys want to setup a group buy, we can buy a single system with our pooled resources, and if it comes out to less than $250 each, I might be willing to do it. We could just ship the system between us and then one of us either keep it or resell it to recoup any costs. If one of us keeps it, any of us can still use it to undo or adjust tweaks.

I am able to use a system one time for around $150 so I'm still debating that option, but I wouldn't be able to change settings after the first $150. I would have to fork over $150 again to use the system a second time.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM

C300 sport
Thanks! I'm happy to contribute to a forum I've found very helpful. I very much agree with what xEryx has said (quoted below) about how the car feels now with the changes made, he's described it probably better than I could. The changes don't make it difficult to drive slowly and calmly at all. They apply to both S and C mode, so you get all the power/throttle you want/need in either mode, but but the car can be driven calmly without any issue. xEryx said it removes the "smoothness" of the throttle, and this is true to an extent. Basically, the throttle will be as smooth as your foot is on the pedal; the artificial feeling smoothness (aka: step on pedal...wait for car to ramp up throttle input slowly) is gone, and that's a good thing. The changes improve the "sportiness" of S mode, and keep the "calmness" of C mode, but remove that feeling of hesitation you get sometimes. If I had to sum up the change in one sentence, I'd say these changes allow you to drive your car the way you'd like much more easily without interference/unnecessary alterations to throttle input from the ECU. You won't see a change in fuel economy unless you do some aggressive driving

I definitely agree with all of this. As for the change in fuel mileage, I don't doubt it. If you're doing some spirited driving and the throttle reacts appropriately, you'll see fuel consumption increase as expected These settings make the car more responsive to the drivers input, unlike the default settings which basically feel like they only somewhat take the drivers input into consideration..

The initial lag has been significantly reduced. These changes improved 0-100 times for me by about 0.5s on average. Not a big gain, but the change is noticeable - immediate launch has a bit more kick to it, possibly because of the removal of the electronic torque limit in combination with being in 1st gear.

I think I'll have to update the first post with a FAQ to answer all this at some point soon!
Originally Posted by xEryx
I can answer some of these questions on how it has worked for me. When it comes to accelerating the moment you step on it a tiny bit say 5-10% throttle, the car picks up speed immediately so the lag is 95% gone in my eyes. When I drive normal on my way to work in the morning, it feels so much better now that I can cruise like I could before, but now if I stop at a light/turn or am overtaking, I immediately get the power I need to get moving. It is always a risky move turning or overtaking when there is traffic, but it is even more risky if the car won't respond for like 1 second due to lag or you have to really step on the throttle. I was doing some spirited driving on the back roads and I felt that the transmission was so much sportier. The car held the RPM at the top end while taking curves instead of downshifting (likely due to the setting that doesn't reduce speed as much while taking a curve).

I don't think you can go wrong with these settings. All they do is remove the throttle lag and make the car shift more aggressively. Disabling this does turn off the smoothness of the throttle though which equates to lag and 2-5 MPG more. It all depends on how you are driving and if you are using S mode which is even more aggressive.
Thank you guys for all the clarification! I had been kicking myself for not buying the OEtune when it was on sale for $500, I was a little worried about reliability issues or something going wrong with the tune. I think this would be a safer option. I'm probably going to pay to use the system within a week or two.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
So any idea what the equivalent parameters would be for an M271 engine?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 AMG GT 53, 2020 Sl450. Did drive 2018 S450
Originally Posted by Rodpwnz
If you guys want to setup a group buy, we can buy a single system with our pooled resources, and if it comes out to less than $250 each, I might be willing to do it. We could just ship the system between us and then one of us either keep it or resell it to recoup any costs. If one of us keeps it, any of us can still use it to undo or adjust tweaks.

I am able to use a system one time for around $150 so I'm still debating that option, but I wouldn't be able to change settings after the first $150. I would have to fork over $150 again to use the system a second time.
i'm in the process of getting the kit. It'll take a few weeks before it arrives. Once I get it and I confirm it works I'm sure we can all work out something on sharing cost. Will keep you all posted.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:43 PM

So any idea what the equivalent parameters would be for an M271 engine?

These look to be similar for the ECU of your engine (SIM271KE20). I can't test them, unfortunately. Keep in mind the changes made to pedalkennlinie will not correspond with the same KLD # of this ECU, they're completely different. You'll have to experiment edit: Lastschlag is set to deactivated in this screenshot, but that's only because simulation mode only allows a blank variant coding string. I don't know what you'll find when you connect to the actual ECU, it could already be deactivated, it might not.

Last edited by Funkwagen; 02-12-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:10 AM

C300 sport
i'm in the process of getting the kit. It'll take a few weeks before it arrives. Once I get it and I confirm it works I'm sure we can all work out something on sharing cost. Will keep you all posted.
Thanks! Please do keep us posted! Hopefully I can hold off long enough haha!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport

These look to be similar for the ECU of your engine (SIM271KE20). I can't test them, unfortunately. Keep in mind the changes made to pedalkennlinie will not correspond with the same KLD # of this ECU, they're completely different. You'll have to experiment edit: Lastschlag is set to deactivated in this screenshot, but that's only because simulation mode only allows a blank variant coding string. I don't know what you'll find when you connect to the actual ECU, it could already be deactivated, it might not.
Thanks, coding ECUs is confusing enough when it's in English!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:37 PM

Thanks! Please do keep us posted! Hopefully I can hold off long enough haha!
should be arriving next week..
Old 02-23-2016, 07:35 PM

arrived. been playing with it. seems really complicated. Using simulation mode at the moment. This will take some time to figure out!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
arrived. been playing with it. seems really complicated. Using simulation mode at the moment. This will take some time to figure out!
You wouldn't happen to be in Forida?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:08 PM

C300 sport
Great to hear! When you have it all sorted, let us know if we can do this group system share or something of that sort. If you aren't interested then I will pursue my local opportunities.

You wouldn't happen to be in Forida?
Or California? Michail, are you interested in sharing some of the system cost and passing it around between us all?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:16 PM

Great to hear! When you have it all sorted, let us know if we can do this group system share or something of that sort. If you aren't interested then I will pursue my local opportunities.

Or California? Michail, are you interested in sharing some of the system cost and passing it around between us all?
In Florida...more than happy to share once I've figured it out. I hope that will be by the end of this week.
The following users liked this post:
GrayCeeMae (02-13-2022)
Old 02-23-2016, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Funkwagon and xEryx,

Now that some of the newness has worn off and you aren't stomping the GO pedal all the time, can you comment on gas mileage?

Also Funkwagon, is there an ECU parameter to set the default drive mode to "S" instead of "E"? If I didn't have to press the button every time I start up, that would be an added benefit.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:53 PM

In Florida...more than happy to share once I've figured it out. I hope that will be by the end of this week.
It takes some patience at first, but it's worth it

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Funkwagon and xEryx,

Now that some of the newness has worn off and you aren't stomping the GO pedal all the time, can you comment on gas mileage?

Also Funkwagon, is there an ECU parameter to set the default drive mode to "S" instead of "E"? If I didn't have to press the button every time I start up, that would be an added benefit.

Gas mileage hasn't changed from stock settings at all in my experience. I tend to have a heavy foot, and I never noticed much of a change in mileage at all; I usually average close to 12L/100km per tank, 80% city driving. These changes don't alter the engines performance in any way, only throttle response. The only change in mileage would be from the excitement of having a much quicker responding gas pedal!

I'll look into the S and E mode thing, but I can't promise much. The variant coding options for the transmission control unit are really cryptic, there's no parameter menu such as the one for the ME97 unit. So far I've only been able to enable triptronic/manual mode via changing a coding string, and that was no discovery, I just followed the instructions of someone else who knew already.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:19 PM

FunkWagen help!

I bought a preconfigured laptop with DAS, Xentry C4 and a bunch of other software. It connects fine. DAS doesn't recognize my W204 and W204 isn't listed as an option. Also, I can't find any of the parameters listed here in Xentry - pedal, speed limiter etc.....Any ideas? I was able to run a bunch of tests in Xentry and reset the tranny adaptation but I don't see anything like parameters posted in this thread by you and others.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:00 PM

FunkWagen help!

I bought a preconfigured laptop with DAS, Xentry C4 and a bunch of other software. It connects fine. DAS doesn't recognize my W204 and W204 isn't listed as an option. Also, I can't find any of the parameters listed here in Xentry - pedal, speed limiter etc.....Any ideas? I was able to run a bunch of tests in Xentry and reset the tranny adaptation but I don't see anything like parameters posted in this thread by you and others.
You're going to have to find version 4 of the software called vediamo, w204 access was disabled in das after a 2011 version of xentry. ******* has plenty of resources for this
Old 02-25-2016, 06:39 AM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by ghlkal
Funkwagon and xEryx,

I am averaging 17MPG for over 1000 miles now, but I do a lot of city driving and still drive it like I stole it 50% of the time.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:58 PM

Xentry

Funkwagon and xEryx

I did find the values I want to change under Motor Electronics ME97 adaptations..configurations...coding..throttle change damping (activated) and speed limit (210KMH) and Accelerator pedal characteristic (characteristic no. 4..2).

I could not change any of the values. The values are grayed out. Any ideas?
Old 02-27-2016, 08:01 AM

Funkwagon and xEryx

I did find the values I want to change under Motor Electronics ME97 adaptations..configurations...coding..throttle change damping (activated) and speed limit (210KMH) and Accelerator pedal characteristic (characteristic no. 4..2).

I could not change any of the values. The values are grayed out. Any ideas?
Can you post a screenshot? Are you trying to do this through Xentry? I haven't found a way to do it through Xentry - Mercedes has everything locked down by requiring an online connection through xentry for SCN coding officially.. Vediamo is the way around that
Old 02-27-2016, 08:43 AM

Can you post a screenshot? Are you trying to do this through Xentry? I haven't found a way to do it through Xentry - Mercedes has everything locked down by requiring an online connection through xentry for SCN coding officially.. Vediamo is the way around that
I was using Xentry and figured that was the reason. It kept asking me to go online. I've installed Vediamo 5.00.05 and will be trying it today.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My findings with variant coding tweaks and throttle delay