C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Fixing BAD Touch Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2016 | 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Fixing BAD Touch Paint

long story short I have to awful touch up paint job on my hood from two small rock chips (not done by me) I've been reading on how I can fix them.

It all comes down to removing the blobs of touch up paint which have clear coat over them with paint thinner has anyone tried this? or with lacquer thinner?

I know car paint is basically baked on and from what I've read the touch up paint and clear coat should come off fairly easy by placing paint thinner or lacquer thinner on a cloth and just slowly and gently rubbing off the blobs of bad touch up paint.

has anyone tried this? and any tips?or should I not do this at all?

I'd like to avoid wet sanding and all that extra buffing blah blah blah just because I don't feel like buy all that equipment to do a small job I'll probably only do a few times.

Last edited by MB Marko; 03-18-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2016 | 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Originally Posted by newmbmarko
has anyone tried this? and any tips?or should I not do this at all?
I'm not sure you'll be able to just wipe off the bad touch-up paint with just thinner.

First, tape off the area, exposing just the "blob." Soften it up with thinner or mineral spirits. Use fine sandpaper, 200 or so, and roughen up the blob. You may have to repeat this several times.

Once the blob is gone, I have had good luck with the Dr. Colorchip system.

Good luck
Old 03-18-2016 | 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ghlkal
I'm not sure you'll be able to just wipe off the bad touch-up paint with just thinner.

First, tape off the area, exposing just the "blob." Soften it up with thinner or mineral spirits. Use fine sandpaper, 200 or so, and roughen up the blob. You may have to repeat this several times.

Once the blob is gone, I have had good luck with the Dr. Colorchip system.

Good luck
hey thanks for the response

you think Varsol will do the job without damaging the paint in surrounding area?

I have a very fine brush and rubber squeegee like Dr. Colorchip system I was planning on using this method after i figure out how to get the awful job off.

I mean a "pro" detailer charges 75$ an hour and from 2 quotes they said 2 hours of work. its hard to believe it takes that long .... I was planning on using a thinner and a hair dryer to soften it up I'm just worried about the other paint.

i need to find out what thinner to use can't find a solid answer Canadian tire or Walmart have lots of options just need to find the best one any suggestions?
Old 03-19-2016 | 11:05 AM

2014 CLS550-4M, 2013 C350-4M Coupe
Please do not attempt to use any type of paint / lacquer thinner to remove a bad touch up paint job. Do will almost certainly do more damage than good. Give this a try:
Amazon.com: Blob Eliminator 2oz: Automotive Amazon.com: Blob Eliminator 2oz: Automotive

Also, please do not use anything more course than 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a touch up area. What I have used multiple times with great success to finish a paint chip touch up is:

- 600 or 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet with water), next
- 1000 or 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet with water), next
- 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet with water), next
- Meguiar's M1 Mirror Glaze Medium-Cut Cleaner, next
- Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish

Also, I usually let the touch up paint harden for a week before I finish it using the steps listed above.
Old 03-19-2016 | 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Antique-Ace
Please do not attempt to use any type of paint / lacquer thinner to remove a bad touch up paint job. Do will almost certainly do more damage than good. Give this a try: Amazon.com: Blob Eliminator 2oz: Automotive

Also, please do not use anything more course than 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a touch up area. What I have used multiple times with great success to finish a paint chip touch up is:

- 600 or 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet with water), next
- 1000 or 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet with water), next
- 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet with water), next
- Meguiar's M1 Mirror Glaze Medium-Cut Cleaner, next
- Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish

Also, I usually let the touch up paint harden for a week before I finish it using the steps listed above.
hey I appreciate the response ugh I really don't want to sand it but I guess thats the best option unless I want to pay some body shop to do it. I have 1200 grit and 2000grit i know it will take longer but those will both due the hard part is finding Langka's in Canada
Old 03-19-2016 | 11:33 AM

2012 C300 4Matic
Not sure how many or how big the bad touch ups you have, but unless you are confident in what you are doing you could quickly find you have a good mess on your hands and maybe make things worse. What exactly was the detail shop going to do to fix it? I know $150 seems like a lot, but if it would address the issue to your satisfaction, it might be worth it, especially if you have multiple areas. To fix each one could take a lot of time. How much is your time/aggravation worth? Just my two sense.

Maybe try a rubbing/polishing compound on a rag and gently going over the area to smooth it out and then polishing it back out. Just be very gentle.
Old 03-19-2016 | 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Not sure how many or how big the bad touch ups you have, but unless you are confident in what you are doing you could quickly find you have a good mess on your hands and maybe make things worse. What exactly was the detail shop going to do to fix it? I know $150 seems like a lot, but if it would address the issue to your satisfaction, it might be worth it, especially if you have multiple areas. To fix each one could take a lot of time. How much is your time/aggravation worth? Just my two sense.

Maybe try a rubbing/polishing compound on a rag and gently going over the area to smooth it out and then polishing it back out. Just be very gentle.
your right but I didn't like the detailers In my small town haha they just seemed more interested in charging 1500$+ for a full detail and not really caring about the 2 spots that are bothersome "ya we can try and fix it but ..." kind of attitude I know if i want them gone just buy a new hood and paint it but i'd rather just fix the blobs there small rock chips but the blobs make them look larger than they are.
Old 03-19-2016 | 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

heres pictures awful stuff the clear coating touch up is the ****ty part from a far you just see 2 dots but up close you can see the smearing
Old 03-20-2016 | 12:34 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
I would try some polishing compound and see if you could minimize it. That should take care of the smearing I would think.
Old 03-20-2016 | 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Alfadude
I would try some polishing compound and see if you could minimize it. That should take care of the smearing I would think.
I placed an order for Langka's blob eliminator but damn that stuff is 40$ Canadian for a tiny bottle! ill see how that works if not ill try a polishing compound as you can kinda make out its just the clear coat thats smeared the chips are filled poorly but I can live with that just need to fix the clear coat touch up thanks for the replies

the one thing is it doesn't really say whats in the Langka's blob eliminator but from hundreds of reviews it doesn't damage surrounding paint and works the majority of the time.

Last edited by MB Marko; 03-20-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2016 | 06:36 PM

2008 C300 Sport
I have had great luck with Langka. Touch up paint is a different type of paint than the original paint. In essence the Langka dissolves only the touch up paint. I have used it on older touch up areas and when I do my own touch ups. They also sell a kit that contains a prep and sealer.
Old 03-20-2016 | 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by timlippold
I have had great luck with Langka. Touch up paint is a different type of paint than the original paint. In essence the Langka dissolves only the touch up paint. I have used it on older touch up areas and when I do my own touch ups. They also sell a kit that contains a prep and sealer.
awesome thats good to hear thanks hopefully it comes fast
Old 03-24-2016 | 01:52 PM

2015 GLK350
The run Razor works great for leveling bad touchup paint: http://www.eastwood.com/motorguard-r...ocker-set.html
Old 03-24-2016 | 02:10 PM

2011 E350, 2007 CLK350
Ok, here's what you do.

2000 grit wet sandpaper.
Meguires #2 fine cut
Meguires #7 final

Using water, wrap your sandpaper around a firm sponge (small as possible) and sand down the paint additions. You'll see them slowly disappear. once gone to your satisfaction, dry off the spot. grab the #2 final cut and buff out the spot until the gloss matches the area. Then wash the car and hit the whole things with #7.

I had a 2 foot scratch that someone filled in with touch up paint. I wet-sanded it out, buffed it and showed my wife - she could not believe it was gone.

Here's a great video - all by hand
The following users liked this post:
MB Marko (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016 | 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
The run Razor works great for leveling bad touchup paint: http://www.eastwood.com/motorguard-r...ocker-set.html

Never heard of this before. Looks worth trying. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2016 | 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by egalt
Ok, here's what you do.

2000 grit wet sandpaper.
Meguires #2 fine cut
Meguires #7 final

Using water, wrap your sandpaper around a firm sponge (small as possible) and sand down the paint additions. You'll see them slowly disappear. once gone to your satisfaction, dry off the spot. grab the #2 final cut and buff out the spot until the gloss matches the area. Then wash the car and hit the whole things with #7.

I had a 2 foot scratch that someone filled in with touch up paint. I wet-sanded it out, buffed it and showed my wife - she could not believe it was gone.

Here's a great video - all by hand
Wet Sanding and Refinishing By Hand (Deep Scratch Removal) - YouTube
I'll defiantly try this technique if the lanka blob eliminator doesn't work thanks!

the thing is the more i look at how they job was done i think they tried to wipe the clear with a paper towel or kleenex hahaha it just looks like theres white particles in it i just hope i can get rid of that I'm sure I can i really would like to avoid sanding it but the video is pretty convincing and looks like there is no mark of sanding at all so that option #2 if lanka blob eliminator dent work

Last edited by MB Marko; 03-24-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2016 | 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update: I Got my langka blob eliminator this morning and just tried it out. I rubbed it for 15 seconds then washed the spots with car soap and water and then just rinsed a few more times to make sure i got it all off, wiped dry and let dry for 30 min+ and i can say what a difference with only 15 seconds of rubbing. I might try to get rid of the old touch ups when the weather gets nicer but I'm happier that the blobs are basically gone you can hardly see the lower chip the higher one probably needs a little more but its a lot better
Attached Thumbnails Fixing BAD Touch Paint-img_4592.jpg   Fixing BAD Touch Paint-screen-shot-2016-03-29-1.31.12-pm.png  

Last edited by MB Marko; 03-29-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2016 | 01:24 PM

Glad to hear the Langka blob eliminator worked so well for you.