C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What would you go to from a 2008 C300 4MATIC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2016 | 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk
Honestly, I'm not super impressed with my 2008 C350. The interior is okay, speakers are bland (my 96 Corvette with stock speakers had more bass), power is sometimes wonky even with a tune, and I hear horror stories about the steering locking up and costing almost $2k to fix. Now, the car does handle well, but if I could go back in time I would get something else.

I just took a quick four-day vacation to Maui and drove a 2016 Mustang convertible and while it doesn't handle like my Mercedes, the engine felt good and the suspension was smooth. I would love to get a newer 2013/2014 Mustang GT, but living in Hawaii they go for much more than on the mainland and they are hard to find. I had a beautiful Legend Lime 2005 GT that I had cammed and it sounded great, but it was manual and I started to have some initial knee tightness and I knew if I kept it the tightness/pain would only get worse.
I think that's sort of the point of the discussion though. The brand perception perception outweighs the reality. It's a nice car and above average daily driver. The same can be said for most BMWs, Audis, etc. But Mercedes tends to come with a high reputation.

Handling has never been a Mustang's or any American car's strength. Every time I've driven one I've liked the power but hated other aspects more. Which left me feeling disappointed. Although from reviews is seems the Camero SS has been doing well, when compared to Germany's offerings, at much less cost.
Old 06-11-2016 | 02:10 AM

2008 C350 Eurocharged
This video is a few years old now, but the Mustang only lost to the M3 by less than a 1/10th of a second on the twisty track. And I think my favorite moment is at 5:37...

and...virtually tied in the drag...

But you are right, name is just about everything with cars. :P
Old 06-11-2016 | 04:02 PM

2013 P31 C63 Coupe
[QUOTE=LCPLPunk;6829718] but if I could go back in time I would get something else.

I can second that, if i could go back in time (8 months ago), i'd spend my money on a 335i, evo, isf, m3, c63, etc. The power on these cars aren't that great unless your rpms are like 5000+, then maybe you'll feel a slight pull but the power is pretty linear.
Old 06-11-2016 | 04:49 PM

2008 C350 Eurocharged
I would have loved to have gotten a 335, but the reliability reviews I read didn't make me too confident. My car has power, but it just doesn't seem like it comes on when it needs to.

I drove for about two hours yesterday and I swear sometimes I'll be going, it will switch into second, I'll start pushing down on the pedal and it doesn't respond until I push down another few inches. On my wife's SUV it just responds, and it's a six year old Hyundai, nothing special.

Now, I really for the first time used the manual shifting yesterday and I could feel the car wanted to go, but I just wish that transferred over to regular drive.
Old 06-11-2016 | 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk
I would have loved to have gotten a 335, but the reliability reviews I read didn't make me too confident. My car has power, but it just doesn't seem like it comes on when it needs to.

I drove for about two hours yesterday and I swear sometimes I'll be going, it will switch into second, I'll start pushing down on the pedal and it doesn't respond until I push down another few inches. On my wife's SUV it just responds, and it's a six year old Hyundai, nothing special.

Now, I really for the first time used the manual shifting yesterday and I could feel the car wanted to go, but I just wish that transferred over to regular drive.
I made a post about keeping it in D6 makes it much better. To really pull hard do D2 in S from a stop and manual shift to third when ready. The car will go without hesitation. Another thing you can try is revving the engine in neutral to near red line a couple times. That maxes out throttle response and shifting for performance.

The newer lines of the BMWs and Audis are apparently doing the exact same thing with the delayed throttle response. Poor throttle response is in fashion these days. It's engineered in from the factory.

I've been trying to find someone to do the coding that would transfer all this over to regular driving mode.

As far as something else I stick by my decision. I was looking for a DD in the C250 (fuel economy, no 4matic, etc.). As much as I want to I couldn't justify a C350 or C63. Even it cost were not a factor I don't want to be going to the gas station that frequently. Perhaps a 335i would be ok but I just hate the interior styling -- and I try to like.
Old 06-12-2016 | 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by michail71
I could see that if one was doing consulting depending on the customer base. If he was working with smaller businesses and individuals the Ford would be better. If he did mansions or a class office space the Benz would be better.
This is so true.

I am a Architect and one of the first thing I did is do an image check of myself and ask what kind of an Architect I want to be in the long run. I have two options:

1. Do small time work, beat myself to the ground providing the best service to my clients, get paid like a unlicensed professional and don't get taken seriously.

2. Do high-end work, beat myself to the ground providing the best service to my clients, get paid proper professional fees and get taken seriously.

I chose #2 and guess what I don't get clients who does not pay what I ask them. I did decided to test what will happen if I bring my Honda Odyssey or Mazda 3 in a first time meeting with a client and no joke they looked at me like I don't know a thing about my profession. There was also a few occasions that when I meet a client for the first time and they see that I drive a MB the only thing we discussed is about my car and they sign a design retainer after 20 minutes without even asking me to show them what I have done so far.

So yes people do profile you on the way you dress up and the way you present yourself. That is the reality and that is the reason why I drive a MB. If I meet a client who does not know what to expect I tell them how I do things, how much I charge then I drive them to some of my work around town inside my ML then after a coffee they sign the contract. Never did that happen when I drive them around in my non-luxury brand cars.

I also have a reason why I have 4 MBs and I use them for specific reasons.

ML350 - I use this for first time meetings. This gives an impression that I do charge a lot and I mean business. I like using it as it has a quiet cabin and has very good outward visibility for my prospect clients.

GLK 350 - I use this on second time meetings when I do not seal the deal the first time. This shows that I am like them that don't only have 1 toy in the garage and somehow does indeed makes a good conversation as they will ask "how many MBs do you have?" If I don't get them to sign the contract then they are not for me even though they call me back to re discuss my fees.

C300 - I use this as my everyday car and going to projects under construction. It is the only MB that I see on a construction site and when the trades see my car they already tremble in fear as I always ask them to redo things which I was named "trouble maker". People who walks by the job site and wants to get information about things on the project they approach me when they see me getting out of the C300 and they always ask "Are you the owner?" I say "No, I am the Architect" then they smile and ask for my business card.

B200 - I like using this when I know me and my clients will go source materials for our projects. I won't feel bad when they go inside my car with muddy shoes.

There was a occasion that I ask my client to remove his shoes and put it inside my trunk before he goes inside my C300 (I have slippers on my trunk just for these kind of things) as his shoes are really muddy and he respected me more after that.

If I am not a Architect who meets specific type of clients then I would be happy with a Japanese brand. But again who am I kidding?

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 06-12-2016 at 01:19 AM.