C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2012 c250 - P034062 Error Code (Camshaft Position Sensors or Adjusters)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c250
2012 c250 - P034062 Error Code (Camshaft Position Sensors or Adjusters)

Excuse me if there is a thread on this already but I found something close but not exactly my issue so thought I would ask around. If there is an existing post please share.

I recently went over the 50k warranty mark on my car and just like clockwork about 50,500 miles my engine light comes on. Now my car will have a really rough start when I'm starting my car for the first time (thru the day it drives fine) and takes a little long to crank over. I first got it hooked up and found the error code to be a spark plug issue along with a faulty coil. I took it to a local shop and they found out that the error code was actually P034062 (Camshaft position sensor) but since they didn't have an authorized MB machine they weren't able to fully diagnose the problem and recommend I take it to a dealership. The dealership is saying that the problem is a Camshaft adjuster instead which is 3k more to fix. On the diagnostic sheet they said they were able to determine this but investigating it even though the print out code is the same. The engine looks like it was untouched because there are no finger marks were the dust was. Does anyone have experience with this type of problem and are they trying to milk me for more money or does this sound legit? Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
I know you want to think that the sky is not blue,however for most of us it is blue. My point is that to diagnose your car you really don't have to lift the hood and put your hands all over the place---you hook up by opening the drivers side door to the OBD and run the tests.

Now if you did not ask them for a complete copy of all the test they ran to come to their conclusion---shame on you------all you can do now is take the car to another dealership for a second and costly second opinion---or go back to Billy Bob or some one who agrees with your thinking!
Old 06-14-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c250
I don't understand the tone of your response. I'm simply asking a question. I know to get a diagnostic you can simply plug in the machine. The question came up because the error code MB pulled was the same as before (cam sensor) but they are claiming that after inspection, they determined that the cam adjuster is the issue. The dust comment was questioning if they truly did inspect it or just threw a more expensive diagnosis at the problem without investigation. I understand that the dust comment is inconclusive since I do not know what is involved in checking a cam adjuster and is why I'm asking if that is any indication. I have no idea, maybe they could see it without touching the engine. MB service was not helpful in explaining this however. They said they could tell from "the sound of the engine start" which to me is not a particular full proof way of diagnosing a car unless they are car whisperers. And yes, I did get a print out of the error code. I didn't mention that because a)they typically always give you a print out of the diagnosis and b) it doesn't provide any additional or new info since the error codes are for a cam sensor which is the same as before. I'm not looking for someone to agree with anything. I'm simply asking for insight on the issues with cam adjusters and if anyone else had a similar issue.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:36 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
FIY: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...7-p034062.html

M271 engines have been used since 2004-ish, and are famous for timing chain / sprockets problems. It's a shame MB has not learnt the lesson...
Old 06-15-2016, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by VVF
FIY: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...7-p034062.html

M271 engines have been used since 2004-ish, and are famous for timing chain / sprockets problems. It's a shame MB has not learnt the lesson...
IIRC the M271 Evo has a different timing chain/sprocket setup than the M271 with a supercharger.

To the OP - the plastic cover lifts up rather easily and pulls off - chances are they could have popped it off and you never would have known. Pop it off and take a look around under there.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:27 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
IIRC the M271 Evo has a different timing chain/sprocket setup than the M271 with a supercharger.
Yep, they seem to have tweaked something, and look how well it has worked for them...
Old 06-16-2016, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by VVF
Yep, they seem to have tweaked something, and look how well it has worked for them...
This is a 1 off case... how many other M271 Evos on here have there been with valvetrain issues?