C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Please help! This noise is driving me nuts.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Please help! This noise is driving me nuts.

So for a few months now I have had this clicking/ticking noise coming from my front passenger side brakes I believe, it happens while braking. There is also a slight noise while driving and not braking and passing parked cars that reflect sound back. I have inspected the brakes and it all looks good. There were some loose metal pieces which I tightened back up and it did not help.

Dealer recently replaced the wheel bearing because they said it was the cause and noise was still there so they told me it was my aftermarket brakes.
I also took it to the shop that installed my Brake Performance rotors and Akebono pads and they gave me some bs answer saying that because I run the car through the car wash right after driving, the hot brakes were shocked with the cold water and something happened to them??

Is there something wrong with one of my pads? It looks like it is scratching the rotors, but they are smooth.

Here are a few videos of the noise and pics of my brakes.

Thanks!!!

Attached Thumbnails Please help! This noise is driving me nuts.-img_3818.jpg   Please help! This noise is driving me nuts.-img_3820.jpg   Please help! This noise is driving me nuts.-img_3821.jpg   Please help! This noise is driving me nuts.-img_3822.jpg   Please help! This noise is driving me nuts.-img_3823.jpg  

Please help! This noise is driving me nuts.-img_3824.jpg  

Last edited by xEryx; 06-13-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 C300
Im having a hard time hearing the noise in those videos, but if you're talking about the fast clicking when applying the brakes, its your aftermarket rotors.

Alot of drilled/slotted rotors make clicking noises especially when applying the brakes. If this is the noise youre talking about I can guarantee thats what it is. Nothing is wrong with them, thats just the nature of "cheap" aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors.

And im not insulting your rotors calling them cheap. When I say cheap, i mean the company that made them probably just used oem equivelent blanks and drilled/slotted them with a generic pattern. Little to no R&D is put into alot of the design. But they still work fine for daily use.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:14 AM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Dizm
Im having a hard time hearing the noise in those videos, but if you're talking about the fast clicking when applying the brakes, its your aftermarket rotors.

Alot of drilled/slotted rotors make clicking noises especially when applying the brakes. If this is the noise youre talking about I can guarantee thats what it is. Nothing is wrong with them, thats just the nature of "cheap" aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors.

And im not insulting your rotors calling them cheap. When I say cheap, i mean the company that made them probably just used oem equivelent blanks and drilled/slotted them with a generic pattern. Little to no R&D is put into alot of the design. But they still work fine for daily use.
Yes I am talking about the fast clicking/high pitched noise that comes on when I brake. It is only happening on the front passenger side though and it is VERY loud, so much that I sometimes don't even want to brake when there are people around lol. I have the same 4 piece of rotors.

I got these:
http://brakeperformance.com/brake-ro...nc-coating.php
Old 06-14-2016, 08:13 AM

08 C300
Ive had a few set of these type and equivalent rotors. They're fine and nothings wrong with them, but in my experience they will make that noise. I had drilled and slotted rotors on my w204 and they did make a noise that could be heard echoing off walls/buildings/cars etc. Now I have just drilled rotors and they make far less noise.

Usually the fronts make more noise. You might be only hearing the passenger side because theres more objects for the sounds to bounce off of on the passenger side.

See if you can find a building/wall/barricade even on the intersate or an onramp on the drivers side and brake next to it and i bet the drivers side will make a noise too.

Or if you have a gopro just mount it on the drivers side lol.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:38 AM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Dizm
Ive had a few set of these type and equivalent rotors. They're fine and nothings wrong with them, but in my experience they will make that noise. I had drilled and slotted rotors on my w204 and they did make a noise that could be heard echoing off walls/buildings/cars etc. Now I have just drilled rotors and they make far less noise.

Usually the fronts make more noise. You might be only hearing the passenger side because theres more objects for the sounds to bounce off of on the passenger side.

See if you can find a building/wall/barricade even on the intersate or an onramp on the drivers side and brake next to it and i bet the drivers side will make a noise too.

Or if you have a gopro just mount it on the drivers side lol.
I see that sucks... They are barely 6 months old. I might have to get some OEM fronts at this rate, at least they are drilled.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
Did the shop apply any grease to the pad brackets when installing? I made this mistake the first time I did my brakes, the grease actually ended up being a problem because it caused dirt to build up in the bracket and the pads wouldn't travel freely in them, making my brakes fairly noisy when they were used. I cleaned off all of the grease and haven't had the same issue since. WIS states specifically not to use any lubricants on the back of the pads or the calipers, I found out.

The noise you hear is a bit different than what I had, but perhaps that's partially the issue?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:26 AM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Funkwagen
Did the shop apply any grease to the pad brackets when installing? I made this mistake the first time I did my brakes, the grease actually ended up being a problem because it caused dirt to build up in the bracket and the pads wouldn't travel freely in them, making my brakes fairly noisy when they were used. I cleaned off all of the grease and haven't had the same issue since. WIS states specifically not to use any lubricants on the back of the pads or the calipers, I found out.

The noise you hear is a bit different than what I had, but perhaps that's partially the issue?
I believe they didn't cause the pads weren't greasy at all. I plan on taking it apart again and playing around with it some more before giving up on the rotors.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:31 PM

08 C300
Lol do all the investigating you want, but its the rotors. Just google search "slotted rotors clicking noise" youll see tons of people asking about the same thing.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 PM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
I guess it is :/ I greased the hell out of it with MB Anti-Squeal Paste and nothing, so I went for a ridiculously aggressive drive to bake my pads in which I feel helped reduce the noise lol.