C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bi-Xenon D1S Bulb Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 11:32 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C300 Sport
Bi-Xenon D1S Bulb Upgrade

My 2014 C with the upgraded Bi-Xenon headlights has decent output, but I know changing to a different bulb would make a world of difference. I'm curious what bulb you guys have used?

I'm looking for a slightly whiter color 5500-6000k with a slightly better output. My main search so far has lead to me to Osram 66140 CBI's...
Old 07-05-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Honestly I am not so sure it is necessary on your 2014 considering the bulbs are quite new. I have a 2012 which had OEM bulbs and I replaced them with some OSRAM CBI 66140. I honestly cannot tell you whether I got an improvement or not over OEM. Color is definitely great at 5500k and matches DRL perfectly once they warm up, but improvement in lighting not so sure.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:14 AM

2014 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by xEryx
Honestly I am not so sure it is necessary on your 2014 considering the bulbs are quite new. I have a 2012 which had OEM bulbs and I replaced them with some OSRAM CBI 66140. I honestly cannot tell you whether I got an improvement or not over OEM. Color is definitely great at 5500k and matches DRL perfectly once they warm up, but improvement in lighting not so sure.
I just think they are a hair darker then they should be. The W205's and some of the comparable BMW's have brighter and whiter lights typically.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:16 PM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by 97 GSX 97
I just think they are a hair darker then they should be. The W205's and some of the comparable BMW's have brighter and whiter lights typically.
Yeah, but remember those are completely different models or brands with completely different headlight setup. I find the headlight brightness to be lacking even with the 3 month old CBI bulbs. Also W205 are LED's.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 560SEC, 2007 E63 AMG
I switched from some off-brand blue LEDS (previous owner) to Super Whites and they really made a huge difference in nighttime visibility.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:55 PM

2014 C300 Sport
Yeah, but remember those are completely different models or brands with completely different headlight setup. I find the headlight brightness to be lacking even with the 3 month old CBI bulbs. Also W205 are LED's.
Gotcha it could also be a lower grade projector unit. I doubt it with MB, but aways a possibility. I retrofitted my 06 RSX headlights myself using Morimoto projectors, and they were honestly brighter, clearer, and more colorful then our stock Bixenons.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
2010 C350 Sport
Are you sure you got genuine bulbs? Not meaning to offend but it's very easy to get a knock-off CBI or Ultinon bulb unless you buy from a reputable source. There was even a case where a common brick-and-mortar store was selling knock-offs because they switched to a cheaper supplier in China who was falsely marketing the genuine product.

When I upgraded to the CBI's from the stock bulb the difference was massive.

Gotcha it could also be a lower grade projector unit. I doubt it with MB, but aways a possibility. I retrofitted my 06 RSX headlights myself using Morimoto projectors, and they were honestly brighter, clearer, and more colorful then our stock Bixenons.
Your only options with the criteria you listed is either the Osram CBI's or the Philips Ultinon's. The former is rated at 3400 lumen and the latter at 3000 lumen. When I switched to CBI's the difference was massive.

The projectors in the HID headlights are fairly good. MB uses the common "E55" projector (it's made by Hella but it assumed that name from the retrofitting community) which is used in Ferrari and Lamborghini for example. Doesn't mean it's the best, just good enough to be used on high end makes.

Last year I swapped the lenses in the projectors to clear ones. The stock lenses have a texture to them and a band running across horizontally to break up the cutoff. The swap didn't produce the result I was hoping for so now I'm looking into upgrading the projectors. The only problem is there really is no drop-in aftermarket projector. The closest is the Evo-XR that The Retrofit Source sells but that is a D2S projector which would mean changing the whole ballast system.

The beauty of the Evo-XR though is that it's based off the E55 projectors so the mounting points should be the same.

Last edited by Shimee; 07-06-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:14 PM

2014 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Shimee
Are you sure you got genuine bulbs? Not meaning to offend but it's very easy to get a knock-off CBI or Ultinon bulb unless you buy from a reputable source. There was even a case where a common brick-and-mortar store was selling knock-offs because they switched to a cheaper supplier in China who was falsely marketing the genuine product.

Your only options with the criteria you listed is either the Osram CBI's or the Philips Ultinon's. The former is rated at 3400 lumen and the latter at 3000 lumen. When I switched to CBI's the difference was massive.

The projectors in the HID headlights are fairly good. MB uses the common "E55" projector (it's made by Hella but it assumed that name from the retrofitting community) which is used in Ferrari and Lamborghini for example. Doesn't mean it's the best, just good enough to be used on high end makes.

Last year I swapped the lenses in the projectors to clear ones. The stock lenses have a texture to them and a band running across horizontally to break up the cutoff. The swap didn't produce the result I was hoping for so now I'm looking into upgrading the projectors. The only problem is there really is no drop-in aftermarket projector. The closest is the Evo-XR that The Retrofit Source sells but that is a D2S projector which would mean changing the whole ballast system.

The beauty of the Evo-XR though is that it's based off the E55 projectors so the mounting points should be the same.
I was thinking the same thing you were. So in your opinion the CBI's were definitely worth the money? I know there are a ton of the replica's out there so I would only trust purchasing them from The Retrofit Source honestly. I also noticed our OEM lenses are dimpled and have the cutoff line built into the glass. I'm glad someone went ahead and clear lense swapped them so I wouldn't have to figure out the result. You're a lifesaver I'll look into the genuine CBI's. The headlights aren't bad, just not as good as I expected from a car like this.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:26 PM

2010 C350 Sport
I have a bunch of pictures from when I cracked open my headlights, I'll upload them and post them tonight. I'm actually going to be opening them again soon to paint the housings satin black to mimic the AMG headlights, and also swap the lenses again. First time I bought the B-stock clear lenses, now I have the A-stock which were twice the price but look like they're much better quality.

I wouldn't say it's not worth swapping the lenses. The stock lenses completely ruin the cutoff and take away any color. While the clear lenses don't sharpen the cutoff (that requires screwing around with the lens spacing which I don't have time or space for) they give it loads of color mostly towards the center. It's like a messy blur of blues and purples rather than barf and vomit. (yellows and oranges)
Old 07-06-2016, 06:00 PM

2014 C300 Sport
I did the cutoff line mod with my old RSX. Essentially all it took was 79 cents worth of washers from Home Depot and some trial and error. My cutoff line was a deep perfect blue. I'm not too tempted to rip these open yet considering I just got the car, but pics would be awesome if you could!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:08 AM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Shimee

They better be lol, I got them from Osram on Amazon at about $80 ea.
https://www.amazon.com/Osram-66140CB.../dp/B003VNFEKO

Maybe my projectors need to be re-calibrated or when I bought my car going on 4 years it already had new OEM bulbs.

Or maybe I am just expecting too much
Old 07-07-2016, 05:30 PM

2010 C350 Sport
I did the cutoff line mod with my old RSX. Essentially all it took was 79 cents worth of washers from Home Depot and some trial and error. My cutoff line was a deep perfect blue. I'm not too tempted to rip these open yet considering I just got the car, but pics would be awesome if you could!

Old 07-07-2016, 06:16 PM

2014 C300 Sport
Awesome thanks!